Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

2house2fly posted:

They could just run the same voice through filters depending on your race

ah yes, the classic always sunny argument "is blackface or blackvoice more racist" via the non-canon Lethal Weapon sequels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

In Elder Scrolls's case "race" would be referring to cat people and lizard people.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Avalerion posted:

In Elder Scrolls's case "race" would be referring to cat people and lizard people.

I know cat people would sound like they're constantly judging you but how would lizard people sound like?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
There's nothing necessarily wrong with having a voiced protagonist (As mentioned, Mass Effect does it fairly well), but I don't think it's unfair to say that Bethesda's execution for Fallout 4 was godawful. It's not the VA's fault, after all, that most of the dialogue is garbage, nor that Bethesda created a system where every conversation is limited to four (typically inane) responses.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bethesda created a system where you are limited to 4 responses because voice acting is expensive as hell and having someone read multiple lines for every response adds up really fast. Its weird that you would mention Mass Effect as being a good example in that regard because its even more limiting than Fallout 4 with responses; most of the time you have 3 to choose from.

The reason Shepard works better than the Fallout 4 protag is because Shepard is a far more defined character. You're opportunities to roleplay as Shepard aren't that vast but the game is more about shaping both yourself and the world through your choices than being whatever you want. That doesn't work in Fallout 4 because they only went half-way; you are a defined character but they designed the world around a more blank slate protagonist.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 2, 2018

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Internet Kraken posted:

Bethesda created a system where you are limited to 4 responses because voice acting is expensive as hell and having someone read multiple lines for every response adds up really fast. Its weird that you would mention Mass Effect as being a good example in that regard because its even more limiting than Fallout 4 with responses; most of the time you have 3 to choose from.

my guess is (and my memory's fuzzy because I haven't touched mass effect since 2013-ish) it's because mass effect never had a dialogue box where your choices were something completely asinine like "Yes/Sure/Okay/No"

it had plenty of prompts that were misleading about what Shep was actually going to say, but I don't recall any of the choices being embarrassingly identical.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I know cat people would sound like they're constantly judging you but how would lizard people sound like?

Like they are trying to suppress a hiss.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I feel like most of the technical shortcomings in bethesda's fallout games is related to the engine. I also think that a change in how the game plays would benefit them too. I have enjoyed Metro 2033's gameplay a lot more and it feels more like what I would want in a post-nuclear FPS. Metro Exodus is coming sometime soon, and it will be open world so I am very interested to see how it does it.

I feel fallout could be a bit better if it played more like Metro.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Internet Kraken posted:

The reason Shepard works better than the Fallout 4 protag is because Shepard is a far more defined character. You're opportunities to roleplay as Shepard aren't that vast but the game is more about shaping both yourself and the world through your choices than being whatever you want. That doesn't work in Fallout 4 because they only went half-way; you are a defined character but they designed the world around a more blank slate protagonist.

The dialogue wheel isn't great, and like you said it typically boils down to only two-three responses that actually move the conversation along. But at the same time, it does allow the player to dig in deeper into certain topics (typically regarding ~lore~), which the Fallout 4 system is singularly incapable of doing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

im a huge fallout 4 fan and even ill admit the game really could have used more optional lore dump conversation options or lengthy computer terminal entries for those that wanted to to comb over

maybe not like, dragon age inquisition level where im spending hours just refreshing dialogue options with everyone in between actually moving the story along but some sort of middle ground

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Berke Negri posted:

im a huge fallout 4 fan and even ill admit the game really could have used more optional lore dump conversation options or lengthy computer terminal entries for those that wanted to to comb over
This was my main issue with Fallout 3 - you're in the capital of the drat country and there is next to nothing to go poking through, no lore, no random stories, no information to tell you what was going on, just bits and pieces strewn about. They added more in Fallout 4 but a lot of backstory for most of the characters is shallow at best; the backstory to The Institute, a literal pre-War organization, even goes something along the lines of "Once upon a time some scientists hid in a basement then got the idea to start digging down to China or something. The End." they have so much to work with but they don't use it. Hell, they could even go and start making up their own poo poo if they wanted to. Most of what Black Isle created concerned the world at large and what was going on over on the west coast.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 2, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

2house2fly posted:

They could just run the same voice through filters depending on your race

I'm convinced they do this already. One time Mean Sonofabitch dropped his speech impediment and said something that a townsperson would say. I highly doubt they recorded that line for ol' Mean so somehow there's filters involved.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Is there any way to unflag a power armor frame as stolen? I try to shoot the core out of any I come across and take them back to Ft Independence, I’m up to a dozen frames now.

Also, does putting armor pieces on a stolen frame make that piece get flagged as stolen too?

Finally, any good inspirations on making a kickass hangar for all of them? I haven’t found any build videos on YouTube that I really like.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm convinced they do this already. One time Mean Sonofabitch dropped his speech impediment and said something that a townsperson would say. I highly doubt they recorded that line for ol' Mean so somehow there's filters involved.

That was probably a glitch. Mean Sonofabitch just has part of his tongue missing, which is the voice actor and not a filter. It's like how the Powder Ganger who won the lottery always has a "Goodbye" line from a completely different actor.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Skeleton King posted:

I feel fallout could be a bit better if it played more like Metro.

Metro would be better if it did away with the aliens.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Has anyone ever not killed the lottery winner

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I forgot how aggressively green/grey fo3 is.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you? There's not context to his statements, so it just seems like a happy dude being happy

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Why would you? There's not context to his statements, so it just seems like a happy dude being happy

Well he's a Powder Ganger, and they all suck. He also looks and sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I usually pickpocket his ticket and watch him run off into a field of Radscorpions

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

chitoryu12 posted:

That was probably a glitch. Mean Sonofabitch just has part of his tongue missing, which is the voice actor and not a filter. It's like how the Powder Ganger who won the lottery always has a "Goodbye" line from a completely different actor.

I think one of the Brotherhood scribes got his goodbye line. There's this nerdy bald guy with glasses and when you say goodbye to him he goes "Llllater :twisted:"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chitoryu12 posted:

The "different voice when saying goodbye" thing in New Vegas happens a lot: Sarah from vault 21 has a real noticeable change, and I once got a deep grown woman voice coming out of a little girl and it was creepy/hilarious.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 3, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
And let's not forget the Brotherhood paladin who contacts you through ED-E and for exactly one line his American accent becomes Hispanic and noticeably lower quality

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

My favourite was Melissa, the Great Khan at the deathclaw quarry who had a Kiwi accent out of nowhere.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Helith posted:

My favourite was Melissa, the Great Khan at the deathclaw quarry who had a Kiwi accent out of nowhere.
Well the Khan's are descended from a Vault where they stuffed a whole bunch nationalities stuffed in one tiny vault

Cool they got Zoe Bell to voice her, man I forgot how impressive FNV's voice cast even though a bunch of them use the same exact voices for different characters.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The different voice when saying goodbye thing in New Vegas thing happens a lot: Sarah from vault 21 has a real noticeable change, and I once got a deep grown woman voice coming out of a little girl and it was creepy/hilarious.

Love to bang that jumpsuit lady

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Well the Khan's are descended from a Vault where they stuffed a whole bunch nationalities stuffed in one tiny vault

Cool they got Zoe Bell to voice her, man I forgot how impressive FNV's voice cast even though a bunch of them use the same exact voices for different characters.

Impressive the number of VA's you can get when you dont pay sean bean to read your shopping list :v:

(Do you think he sighed when he found out his first videogame character also ends up dying)

Vakal
May 11, 2008
It's sort of inevitable in these open world games to run into multiple NPC's that use the same VA in a short amount of time, but in Skyrim they didn't even try to space them out.

I remember one the early thieves guild missions has you get a mission from the guild leader, then if you follow the quest marker to your contact for the mission, it's the exact same guy voicing him as well with absolutely no change in the way he speaks.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Internet Kraken posted:

I love the lottery winner, that guy's boundless optimism combined with Boxcars' pessimism makes them the two powder gangers I leave alive every play through.

That star bottlecaps guy, though? He's getting shot in the face.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vakal posted:

It's sort of inevitable in these open world games to run into multiple NPC's that use the same VA in a short amount of time, but in Skyrim they didn't even try to space them out.

I remember one the early thieves guild missions has you get a mission from the guild leader, then if you follow the quest marker to your contact for the mission, it's the exact same guy voicing him as well with absolutely no change in the way he speaks.

Actually he does change the way he speaks. When that guy voices the thieves guild leader he tries really hard to sound gruff and tough (it doesn't work at all). When you meet that contact its just him doing his normal NPC voice. That guys voice is really distinct so I can always tell when its him. Usually he doesn't try to change his voice at all but when he does its really bad. He voices a priest in Whiterun that sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Its still better than Oblivion where half the races had only one voice actor, usually shared with another.

VVV I don't think this guy actually voiced anyone in Oblivion. I do think he voiced Nick Valentine in Fallout 4 though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 3, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I haven't played Skyrim, but I can already take a guess (or rather hope) that you guys are talking about that higher pitched dweeby imperial VA from Oblivion

The "fancypants" guy, his attempts to sound tough are always hilarious in how little effort he puts in.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The first RPG that I can remember playing with fully voiced lines was the original Gothic and looking back they did a pretty good job. Lot's of VA's with very little NPC overlap.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0889068/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wolfsheim posted:

I love the lottery winner, that guy's boundless optimism combined with Boxcars' pessimism makes them the two powder gangers I leave alive every play through.

That star bottlecaps guy, though? He's getting shot in the face.

Both of them I hope.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Internet Kraken posted:

Well he's a Powder Ganger, and they all suck. He also looks and sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

Not anymore, man. Powder Gangers are small time, and him? He's a winner. He just won the motherfucking lott-a-ray.

I usually let the lottery winner live, and Boxcars becomes my annoyed roommate for the couple days I use that building as a temporary base. I also usually dump all the junk items I can find in Nipton around his chair. But like someone else said, star caps guy gets murdered when he turns around to leave. Unfortunately, he doesn't carry his 'store stock' with him, for some reason.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Its still better than Oblivion where half the races had only one voice actor, usually shared with another.

You'd think professional voice actors would have some ability to at least try and modulate their voice. Unless Bethesda is so weird as to demand the exact same performance out of every similar character.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The different voice when saying goodbye thing in New Vegas thing happens a lot: Sarah from vault 21 has a real noticeable change, and I once got a deep grown woman voice coming out of a little girl and it was creepy/hilarious.
My favorite is No Bark's because of some patch in the console version causes him to have a different voice actor (probably placeover before they got a VA) mid conversation

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

achillesforever6 posted:

My favorite is No Bark's because of some patch in the console version causes him to have a different voice actor (probably placeover before they got a VA) mid conversation

Mine is the random dude who sometimes replaces the (female) Follower of the Apocalypse who uses ED-E to tell you she can upgrade ED-E.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually he does change the way he speaks. When that guy voices the thieves guild leader he tries really hard to sound gruff and tough (it doesn't work at all). When you meet that contact its just him doing his normal NPC voice. That guys voice is really distinct so I can always tell when its him. Usually he doesn't try to change his voice at all but when he does its really bad. He voices a priest in Whiterun that sounds absolutely ridiculous.

VVV I don't think this guy actually voiced anyone in Oblivion. I do think he voiced Nick Valentine in Fallout 4 though.

One thing that got me in Skyrim was how they obviously had to record more lines for Esbern but ran out of time/money for Max Von Sydow. His voice is very unique and he's very skilled, and after he gets to sky haven temple he just gets a mediocre crazy old man voice.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chitoryu12 posted:

You'd think professional voice actors would have some ability to at least try and modulate their voice. Unless Bethesda is so weird as to demand the exact same performance out of every similar character.

I'm pretty sure they do. The reason for this is they record lines that are unique for each character and also have a pool of general lines shared between every character that voice actor does. Generic stuff like greeting messages and combat banter are the main example. Obviously Bethesda does this because it saves time and money versus recording this dialogue for every single NPC. However if the voice actor tries really hard to alter their voice, Bethesda can't use the generic lines without them sounding completely out of place.

The priest I mentioned earlier is the perfect example of this failing. The VA tries to sound overly-dramatic on purpose to imitate an over-the-top preacher. So he'll be shouting with a pious voice in his regular dialogue, then when he says goodbye he switches to that VA's standard performance and it sounds completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
It will be interesting to see what will be done with the voice replication software that is being worked on.

In theory devs could have access to entire libraries of voice samples so even if you have 1000's of NPCs, each one could have their own unique voice and it would be faster to do since you wouldn't need to physically record lines.