Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Plan Slaan.

I bet these twerps never even saw a real monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
C

If it's not true then we practice our skills. If the monster is real we use them as meat shields. Win win

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
B.) Want to find out more! Bust this party and ask some questions!

We probably shouldn't go gently caress around the wilderness. Seijin has no idea where we are and we're still like 12 or so.

This isn't our dance, but let's find out what's going on.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Slaan posted:

Scare them out of going by making monster noises, throwing things at them, rustling leaves etc

And if they don't quit their 'hunt', confront them and take leadership.

These kids are going to get dead if they keep tromping around the woods being loud, monsters or no monsters.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Three for slaan three for c. Need a tiebreaker

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Plan Slaan

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Voting is closed. thank you Magnusth

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

You decide that what these children are doing is far to dangerous. After all they have no idea what could be dwelling in this forest. You think back to the monsters you've seen in the Sejin's book... to the monsters you've seen in person. You remember the Sejin's mangled arm, and the heartstopping terror as the spider monster charged towards you... No, they have to be persuaded to go back. But you realize that you're unlikely to sway them with logic, and by the time you found an adult, who knows how deep in the wilderness they would be? You resolve to take matters into your own hands. You're going to terrify them into leaving of their own accord.

You wander after them, as they go deeper into the wilderness, being very careful to be a lot less stealthy than you were before. The first time you deliberately snap a twig... they don't even notice, the two boys being too excited talking about how they're going to be rich with all the treasure they're going to get. If you want to scare them, you're going to have to be a lot less subtle. You look around, looking for inspiration, and see a fairly brittle tree branch. Old wood, it'll snap easily. Would make for a good fire too. You seize it with both hands and hang from it, and the tree branch snaps off. As it falls to the ground thunderously the four children jump with a start, looking around in an almost frantic way. It seems like you've made an impression

"What was that?" the youngest girl asks, her lip quivering, as if she's about to burst into tears. No one answers, the two boys now facing the direction of the sound, their spears held up in what you recognize as a terrible and amateurish stance. The raven haired girl has drawn her knife, and is scrutinizing the direction you came in. "I'm... I'm sure its nothing?" the pockmarked twin manages to say, after a few seconds. "We're not even near the lair yet, it was probably just..." you interrupt him by snapping a bunch of twigs. This time, they're paying attention. The raven haired girl, *throws* her knife, in your general direction, hard. Its not a bad throw, it only misses your position by a couple feet. You watch it skewer a tree.

The younger girl is now fully crying and from here you can see both of the boys hands are actively shaking. Time to finish it. You let out a massive roar. The loudest you can manage. The youngest girl lets out a high pitched scream and turns, running into the forest in the opposite direction. The normal twin lets out a curse not at all appropriate for his age, and starts running after her, as the other two continue facing your direction, seemingly paralyzed in fear? Its then you hear something. Something is moving through the trees. Something that isn't just you trying to scare these kids. Before you can even think, you lay eyes on it...

It looks like a boar. Except it is much bigger than any boar you've ever seen. The Sejin has, from time to time hunted boar for dinner. They're tasty, usually they're about a third of the size of this one. This one is about as tall as you are. Its tusks look razor sharp, and they glint in sunlight, almost as if they had been sharpened. It is also fast. Its only taken it a couple seconds between you hearing it, and it spotting the other children. As it makes visual contact with the two children still facing towards you, it stops, and looks at them, letting out a terrible guttural snarl. You have the certainty that the boar is going to charge in the next split second.

You

A.) Congratulate yourself on a job well done and go home. You certainly kept these children from being eaten by a monster.
B.) Run away as fast as you can. You don't want to get mauled by a boar.
C.) Clutch your quarterstaff and leap between the other children and the boar.
D.) C, but transform Alnaar into a spear first. This will cost a small amount of mana.
E.) Use Kenisis to fling a stone as fast as you can towards the boar. Hope this harms it enough to make it retreat. Or at least distracts it? This will cost about a tenth of your mana pool?
F.) Use Kenisis to lift the boar. You've never tried to lift a living thing, or anything that big, especially at this distance.
G.) Alnaar has some powers, use it to cast a bolt of fire! This will almost completely empty your pool of mana, and possibly exhaust your physical body
H.) G, but the cone of fire instead. Right now the cost to you is such that it is likely to exhaust your magical energy, and your physical body and possibly kill you outright
I.) Watch. Don't do anything. Just observe the likely grizzly fate of these two children.
J.) D, but also wreathe the spear in flames, this cost is more than half your magic pool but less than two thirds. Sustaining it for more than a minute will incur a further cost, although you should be able to sustain it for a short while.
K.) Write In

TheCog fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 4, 2018

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

E - Aim for the eye or balls if it is a male.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

D+ shout at the others to run.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

balls if it is a male.
You're not in a good position to assess its testicles or lack thereof from this angle.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Magnusth posted:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TheCog posted:

You're not in a good position to assess its testicles or lack thereof from this angle.

Clearly our tactical positioning leaves much to be desired.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm loving dying over here at the mental image and wording of A.

D + yell at the kids to run

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
D

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Magnusth posted:

Put the bird on our head to make us look intimidating!

...er

J

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
D Welp we found a monster! I'm not against using fire magic, but I'm not sure we need to yet.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

J - Beasts can fear fire. Scare it off with flame.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Brain Candy posted:

Put the bird on our head to make us look intimidating!

rip larry

There Bias Two posted:

E - Aim for the eye or balls if it is a male.

Eyeball shot unless nutshot becomes available.

It's also a good option because we don't want to be obviously magical and we can just play it off as throwing a rock

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Welp.

D

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

D. Brace and skewer.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
D

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I congrats kids, you got what you wanted :shrug:

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
K Use Kensis to bend the hair follicles around the boar's eyelids so that they enter/scrap against the boar's eyes blinding it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Thing about boars is they will run themselves right up a spear to get at you

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

MinutePirateBug posted:

K Use Kensis to bend the hair follicles around the boar's eyelids so that they enter/scrap against the boar's eyes blinding it.

I suspect it's harder to use magic on a living thing directly

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

I suspect it's harder to use magic on a living thing directly

The bit of the hair that would be effected by magic isn't alive. If a hamster had a little hat on or little prosthetic legs would it count as manipulating a living creature if we used Kensis on the non-living matter that is close to the critter's body? What about all the bacteria and fungal spores on the rock that we could throw do they have any effect?

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 4, 2018

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

MinutePirateBug posted:

The bit of the hair that would be effected by magic isn't alive. If a hamster had a little hat on or little prosthetic legs would it count as manipulating a living creature if we used Kensis on the non-living matter that is close to the critter's body? What about all the bacteria and fungal spores on the rock that we could throw do they have any effect?

No sorcerer has ever asked these questions in this universe because the Djinni appear and personally smite them out of existence.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

J

Get some fire spear action on

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
J

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

MinutePirateBug posted:

You lack that level of precision. Even really close to yourself you can't lift a blade of grass, you wind up getting a clump of dirt instead.

As to whether its harder to affect something living.... you don't know.

Good out of the box thinking though.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
D because J breaks our promise to hide our magic. We can wreath it in fire once we've skewered the boar with it and the children have run away.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tell the other kids it's hot magic but elaborate trickery and clever know-how.

Make false claims of being a scientist.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
E: nevermind

Outrail fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 4, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Blasphemaster posted:

D. Brace and skewer.

Skewer then make bracers from its skin

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Not Alex posted:

D because J breaks our promise to hide our magic. We can wreath it in fire once we've skewered the boar with it and the children have run away.

I'm convinced. I forgot about that promise. D

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Djinni smiting those who attempt to rules lawyer is pretty awesome

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hexenritter posted:

The Djinni smiting those who attempt to rules lawyer is pretty awesome

It just seemed like something the Djinni would do to especially annoying sorcerers.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

There Bias Two posted:

It just seemed like something the Djinni would do to especially annoying sorcerers.

Oh yeah, they're the rules lawyers (just watch Wishmaster), infringing upon their territory will invite their displeasure I would imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Voting is closed.

For no reason in particular: