Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Section Z posted:

Unless they shuffled things around. Have you tried building a thermal plant, or entering the DEEP grand reef? Otherwise you will be waiting forever for that particular signal.

Nah, I thought the recommendation was to wait to build my real base until I got to Lifepod 2 to save myself a ton of time and hassle so I've just been poking around the sea floor and using my single cylinder and solar panel. Guess I shouldn't have taken that so literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Is nobody else using the coffee machine? It doesn't hydrate much but you can keep pressing the button and it uses no materials at all.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, the edge of the safe shallows where the kelp, red kelp, red grass, mushroom zone, mushroom cave are all like within 200m is the best place to start your first base. You'll be some ways away from the mountain island but everything else is close and abundant till you reach the point where you need to start delving deeper.

You dont even need thermal reactors. Solar provides with enough energy for most things and a bioreactor gives you a buffer for when you start adding things that consume more energy.

I powered my base through the whole game with solar panels. Started out with two, ended with eight.

That's with a moon pool, water purifier, scanner room, fabricator, etc...

I was built right on the edge of where safe shallows drops down into the lower area that leads to Jellyshroom caves. It had a nice view and everything.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Unkempt posted:

Is nobody else using the coffee machine? It doesn't hydrate much but you can keep pressing the button and it uses no materials at all.

I built one of those, and a vending machine, in my Cyclops. Along with three potted lantern fruit trees, it was all I needed for food and water. I lived outta that thing near-exclusively for a while.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Unkempt posted:

I did this for a little but it started to hit a little close to home.

Games becoming real life itt

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I built my first base in jellyshroom to act as a diving bell of sorts for exploring the cave system. I stumbled across my last seamoth fragment literally minutes after completion. :v:

Nice view of the jellyshrooms though

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So I finally found my very last cyclops hull fragment and built one of those big ole bastards and, well, it’s a real different experience to pilot than my beloved little Seamoth. Best example I can think of is driving a tour bus versus driving a go kart. However, The depth mod for my seamoth currently only goes to 300 Meters so I don’t really have a choice here.

Some cyclops questions:

Is it possible to “nose up” or “nose down” the cyclops or is it always going to be more or less parallel to the sea floor? The only way I can figure out to descend in this drat thing is straight down with the C button but that’s going to make getting through even big tunnels with this monster a practical impossibility.

I’m hesitant to use the drat thing since it runs on, what, six full power cells that I don’t have any way I can think of to recharge in the field. The best scenario I can think of is that I can always make a resupply run using the seamoth from the cyclops back to my shoals base, which has a power cell charger and a shitload of solar panels, swap out the spent cells and pick up another set of fresh ones, bring them back to the cyclops and plug them into the engine, but that seems pretty cumbersome. Is it possible to build a bio reactor in the cyclops to power it with the souls of alien fish? Is there a solar array I can build on this thing like on the seamoth? I can’t see where either is possible.

Also, what things would you guys recommend building on/in the cyclops and where? I would like to use it as a mobile base but I don’t want to accidentally wind up turning it into a massive power sink.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

So I finally found my very last cyclops hull fragment and built one of those big ole bastards and, well, it’s a real different experience to pilot than my beloved little Seamoth. Best example I can think of is driving a tour bus versus driving a go kart. However, The depth mod for my seamoth currently only goes to 300 Meters so I don’t really have a choice here.

Some cyclops questions:

Is it possible to “nose up” or “nose down” the cyclops or is it always going to be more or less parallel to the sea floor? The only way I can figure out to descend in this drat thing is straight down with the C button but that’s going to make getting through even big tunnels with this monster a practical impossibility.

I’m hesitant to use the drat thing since it runs on, what, six full power cells that I don’t have any way I can think of to recharge in the field. The best scenario I can think of is that I can always make a resupply run using the seamoth from the cyclops back to my shoals base, which has a power cell charger and a shitload of solar panels, swap out the spent cells and pick up another set of fresh ones, bring them back to the cyclops and plug them into the engine, but that seems pretty cumbersome. Is it possible to build a bio reactor in the cyclops to power it with the souls of alien fish? Is there a solar array I can build on this thing like on the seamoth? I can’t see where either is possible.

Also, what things would you guys recommend building on/in the cyclops and where? I would like to use it as a mobile base but I don’t want to accidentally wind up turning it into a massive power sink.

Can't nose up or down, but the proximity detector should tell you what's close to hitting dirt. I built a bunch of lockers and a growbed to shove lantern fruit on. You can't build any reactors or solar stuff onto it which would apparently be too easy.

Just put all the mats to build a multipurpose room and a bio or thermal reactor + cell rechargers, and you can pause and recharge whenever.

if you build a mod station you should be able to upgrade that 300m to 900m

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, the edge of the safe shallows where the kelp, red kelp, red grass, mushroom zone, mushroom cave are all like within 200m is the best place to start your first base. You'll be some ways away from the mountain island but everything else is close and abundant till you reach the point where you need to start delving deeper.

You dont even need thermal reactors. Solar provides with enough energy for most things and a bioreactor gives you a buffer for when you start adding things that consume more energy.

If you build your base just to the south of the lifepod on the edge of the red grass zone, there's a thermal vent in that area maybe two transfer nodes away from the cliff.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
To all you discovering cyclops base (best base) for the first time:

You can build lockers sideways. 6 fit on each side. I put an aquarium on the other side, though.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

dmboogie posted:

couple questions - is there any way to change your game mode once you've started? I started on survival for... some reason, and the novelty of hunting down bladderfish vanished after the first hour.

Find your save in the Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames folder, open gameinfo.json, and change gameMode to 1 instead of 0 - I'd back up the file before editing it just in case.

Nuebot posted:

Seconding this just because I want to swap to creative quick because I'm getting really, really tired of going out collecting my weight in metal, going back and having to repeat that.

gameMode 3 for Creative

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

So, the visibility mod seems to work, but has a weird side effect - stalkers are now all over the safe shallows because (I assume) they can see the fish there to eat. Additionally they seem to home in on me, even if I'm in the lifepod.

Doesn't bode well for warpers and more dangerous fauna.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Vorkosigan posted:

So, the visibility mod seems to work, but has a weird side effect - stalkers are now all over the safe shallows because (I assume) they can see the fish there to eat. Additionally they seem to home in on me, even if I'm in the lifepod.

Doesn't bode well for warpers and more dangerous fauna.

Hows performance now?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Reapers can take out a Cyclops, correct?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Hows performance now?

Not noticing much issue, but I restarted the game and haven't ventured much past the shallows yet. But I'm rocking a 1080, i6700k, and 32GB of RAM, so I'm not the normal case.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Google Butt posted:

Reapers can take out a Cyclops, correct?
eventually, in a whole bunch of hits, if you just sit there and do nothing (immediately turn off the engine or mash the run silent button and you'll be fine)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

prussian advisor posted:

How do you have a cyclops and yet haven't upgraded the depth mod yet?

quote:

It's not. Use the cameras to navigate effectively, don't steer by looking out the single window in close quarters.

quote:

... Why not just keep a few changes of power cells on the cyclops? Once you get a scanner room you should be swimming in copper, coral and kelp are both practically limitless. I keep two full changes on board.

quote:

Use it as a mobile storage room. The first big area with the wall locks built in, on the bottom floor? Ignore those and cover the whole thing floor to ceiling with more wall lockers. Then do it in back to. One resource type per locker, make it super easy to find things. I actually keep props and components and stuff in back since there's room for most everything else up front.

Then, in the little room with the hatch to get out, or upstairs by the docking bay, stick more lockers. In these, keep your "mobile base" pieces with everything you need to throw together a full base of operations where you are exploring, and then put it back when you are done. (make sure to remove scanner room upgrades before disassembling or they will go poof!)

In the area between the docking bay and the steering area, put your basic utility stuff. Food, water, mod station, crafting station. Mine is full of melons because melons single handedly take care of all food/thirst needs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can swim quite comfortably down to the lost river plateu through the grand reef from the surface, using nothing but a seaglide and a ultra capacity tank, which is how I moved everything down there.

You have a lot more range than you would think so it's quite hard to end up actually out of range of any of your craft.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

OwlFancier posted:

You can swim quite comfortably down to the lost river plateu through the grand reef from the surface, using nothing but a seaglide and a ultra capacity tank, which is how I moved everything down there.

You have a lot more range than you would think so it's quite hard to end up actually out of range of any of your craft.

That's too scary though

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Asimo posted:

Jelly shroom caves, they're all over the place down there. And super hard to find anywhere else outside of some endgame areas, so just fill your inventory with em while you're there.

This opened up the game for me because now I can actually find things with the scanner HUD upgrade. First thing I'm probably going to do is set up a FOB there and dig up all the magnetite because it was a colossal PITA to spot, just a dark rock on dark walls.

quote:

How do you have a cyclops and yet haven't upgraded the depth mod yet?

All the parts for the Cyclops can be found in the NW mushroom forest, which is only 175m below the surface.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

QuantaStarFire posted:

This opened up the game for me because now I can actually find things with the scanner HUD upgrade. First thing I'm probably going to do is set up a FOB there and dig up all the magnetite because it was a colossal PITA to spot, just a dark rock on dark walls.

All the parts for the Cyclops can be found in the NW mushroom forest, which is only 175m below the surface.

Cyclops is super easy to unlock so yeah.

One of the wrecks i found in the grand reef area though, had a good 10 engine fragments sitting around, it was really weird. Another wreck had 15-20 prawn arms. I restarted a game and there was no moonpool frags anywhere this time.

Something is seriously hosed up about fragment spawning, doesn't seem to have any logic. Not being able to find moonpool stuff is poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AFAIK fragments are specifically located in certain areas, only one of the reef wrecks is supposed to have moon pool parts, they're generally found scattered around a bunch of other wrecks and biomes.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Sloober posted:

Something is seriously hosed up about fragment spawning, doesn't seem to have any logic. Not being able to find moonpool stuff is poo poo

From a couple of quick restarts, it seems like a full set of moonpool fragments consistently spawns at wreck 20, just north of the signal for lifepod 19.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Nah, I thought the recommendation was to wait to build my real base until I got to Lifepod 2 to save myself a ton of time and hassle so I've just been poking around the sea floor and using my single cylinder and solar panel. Guess I shouldn't have taken that so literally.

Lifepod 2 is still important because it has a databox for the cyclops depth module :v: So the least "Hope you blindly stumble into it or look up wiki coordinates" way to get it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 7, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That "wait for lifepod 2" advice is straight up TERRIBLE because you don't get the waypoint until like 10+ hours into the game, it's typically the second to last or the last lifepod message. Yes, it's a good spot for a base, no you should absolutely not wait for it!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

That "wait for lifepod 2" advice is straight up TERRIBLE because you don't get the waypoint until like 10+ hours into the game, it's typically the second to last or the last lifepod message. Yes, it's a good spot for a base, no you should absolutely not wait for it!
Also this. The wait feels much shorter when you are already gearing up to pimp out your cyclops.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Magus42 posted:

Find your save in the Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames folder, open gameinfo.json, and change gameMode to 1 instead of 0 - I'd back up the file before editing it just in case.

aw poo poo, thanks dude! This is exactly what I was hoping for.

Also thanks for the base advise, everyone

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Has anyone attempted a no vehicles/seaglide ultra-masochist run?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I can't think how you would do that. You'd have to haul around all the parts for a tube base + power and just build it every time you need O2.

I guess you could fill your inventory with Ultra High Capacity Tanks but I doubt you can fit enough to get to some of the end-game areas. Especially without even a Sea Glide.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Akion posted:

I can't think how you would do that. You'd have to haul around all the parts for a tube base + power and just build it every time you need O2.

I guess you could fill your inventory with Ultra High Capacity Tanks but I doubt you can fit enough to get to some of the end-game areas. Especially without even a Sea Glide.

You could use pipes, and chain down air from the surface everywhere you do a deep dive. Don't know how many would fit in your inventory though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Typical Pubbie posted:

Has anyone attempted a no vehicles/seaglide ultra-masochist run?

I did something close (I think I used the seaglide) ~6 months ago by building highways of exterior growbeds with brain coral and creepvine seeds (for visibility). Made it down to the active lava zone, at which point you start taking heat damage even with the reinforced dive suit. Since there wasn't anything productive to do in the containment facility at that point, I called it quits there. I think the hardest part would be getting into/out of the alien thermal plant for the blue artifact.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tobermory posted:

From a couple of quick restarts, it seems like a full set of moonpool fragments consistently spawns at wreck 20, just north of the signal for lifepod 19.

I got 47 million grav trap fragments there, no moonpool

grav traps inside (in a huge pile) grav traps outside. i think it was their volleyball segment

for real all the wrecks this world seem to be comprised of solely one type of fragment. Prawn arms for one, seamoths at another, cyclops engines at a different one. (my cell recharger was actually at the jelly base this time)

Sloober fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 7, 2018

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Akion posted:

There appears to be no limit to the size of a pipe network; with enough titanium, you could plumb the entirety of any area you want.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Near endgame ( I assume) question:

I've done the incubation enzymes, hatched the eggs and the big Sea Emperor died. I kind of assumed that would get rid of the infection, but nope. What else do I have to do? Should I just go and finish my rocket?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Near endgame ( I assume) question:

I've done the incubation enzymes, hatched the eggs and the big Sea Emperor died. I kind of assumed that would get rid of the infection, but nope. What else do I have to do? Should I just go and finish my rocket?

Had the same problem. Turns out I had to leave the aquarium through the same portal the hatchlings swim through. Once out in the open ocean, they started dropping globs of enzyme that I could pick up, which cured me.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Comrade Koba posted:

Had the same problem. Turns out I had to leave the aquarium through the same portal the hatchlings swim through. Once out in the open ocean, they started dropping globs of enzyme that I could pick up, which cured me.

Also if they've already been and gone, they'll probably have left some globs of the enzyme in the sea emperor's tank. It's quite easy to spot, a kind of gold-coloured head-sized blob that floats in place.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Jumped down into the Jellyshroom Caves in my PRAWN and clipped straight through the floor. If I hadn't saved, quit, reloaded and gunned the thrusters I might have lost it forever.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

Also if they've already been and gone, they'll probably have left some globs of the enzyme in the sea emperor's tank. It's quite easy to spot, a kind of gold-coloured head-sized blob that floats in place.

If you're wearing gloves at that point you'll want to take them off beforehand or you may miss out on a texture - change animation.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Comrade Koba posted:

The Sea Emperor herself left a globule of it in my game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Akion posted:

That's not very many parts, you can go halfway across the map with just a seaglide on one tank, so a few waystation bases scattered around could get you most places, and if you're not building any vehicles you don't even need most of the resources.

Paracelsus posted:

I did something close (I think I used the seaglide) ~6 months ago by building highways of exterior growbeds with brain coral and creepvine seeds (for visibility). Made it down to the active lava zone, at which point you start taking heat damage even with the reinforced dive suit. Since there wasn't anything productive to do in the containment facility at that point, I called it quits there. I think the hardest part would be getting into/out of the alien thermal plant for the blue artifact.

You don't take very much damage and you can just take a bunch of medkits. Honestly that part'd be pretty easy cos you'll outrun the leviathan and warpers/leeches aren't a threat, and you can drop a tube and a thermal plant anywhere.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 7, 2018