Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Donovan looked pretty great in that Jazz win but being unable to watch Kawhi Leonard this year or ever again because he's done for sure really really sucks. Rest in Peace to the former guaranteed successor to LeBron James as the best player in the NBA

Not to spoil my top secret research about injuries and play style but there really seems to be a link between intense two way play and devastating injuries. Lebron James has perfect biomechanics. He's perfect. Jordan didn't and so retired to preserve his legacy, and was only coaxed back by the steroid dealers who had taken his son for ransom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Since Aaron Gordon has been out, Hezonja has basically become a pure wing version of Gordon. It's awesome. He was always great but he needed to have the ball all the time to show it, which seems to be the case with a ton of fringe rotation guys

he needed to be able to play without fear of being benched over one mistake

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

Since Aaron Gordon has been out, Hezonja has basically become a pure wing version of Gordon. It's awesome. He was always great but he needed to have the ball all the time to show it, which seems to be the case with a ton of fringe rotation guys

I'm super pissed that the Kings apparently passed on a Super Mario/Malachi Richardson swap at the beginning of the year because they were holding out for more.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

He absolutely has to dominate the ball because he isn’t super smart off ball but as his confidence is improving his forever range means he can do damage off screens. He’s learning the NBA game and I honestly think, if everything goes right (because he clearly is not mentally a guy who will just develop automatically) he can be a meaner Paul George.

He’s definitely a d-league Jordan though, yeah

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

Not to spoil my top secret research about injuries and play style but there really seems to be a link between intense two way play and devastating injuries. Lebron James has perfect biomechanics. He's perfect. Jordan didn't and so retired to preserve his legacy, and was only coaxed back by the steroid dealers who had taken his son for ransom.

Ron Artest was the best two way player in the league so theory disproven

:lol: remember when people actually said Ron Artest was the best two way player in the league

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

WhyteRyce posted:

:lol: remember when people actually said Ron Artest was the best two way player in the league

Keep in mind the league at the time featured prime Garnett, Duncan, and Kobe when he tried plus young Dwight and Lebron

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Ron was relly loving good for a few years. He got away with murder out, probably one of the most physical defenders ever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm super pissed that the Kings apparently passed on a Super Mario/Malachi Richardson swap at the beginning of the year because they were holding out for more.

I mean before now Mario was really bad so it isn't that crazy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CharlestheHammer posted:

For those with Eyes to See he was Always Good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DeimosRising posted:

For those with Eyes to See he was Always Good

Lol sure.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

A super bad hot mess is way better than boring mediocre. Malachi might top out as a less athletic less good Nick Young so why bother.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 13, 2018

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

WhyteRyce posted:

A super bad hot mess is way better than boring mediocre. Malachi might top out as a less athletic less good Nick Young so why bother.

Bruno on the other hand...

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The most obvious 3 second call in the history of the rule

https://streamable.com/12ld0

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/963218564424507392

gently caress streamable links imo

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What's wrong with streamable? They're servers were making GBS threads the bed the other day but usually they're pretty good.

Twitter video shits itself whenever I try to fullscreen it

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Twitter video has a fit whenever I try to play it from an embedded link.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
A whole bunch of times someone posts a funny Twitter thing and it's already been deleted

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Tonight Draymond and Iggy coached the Warriors
https://twitter.com/espn/status/963263977739440129
https://twitter.com/jram_91/status/963313820906135553
https://twitter.com/jaeazizi/status/963324247102799872
:salt:

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 13, 2018

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

If anyone is confused about this by the way you're allowed to guard the guy with the ball from any position now so you can't get called for three seconds.

I don't really know how they handle the impending pick and roll there. He knows a guy is about to come into the lane so he stays there to pick him up, seems reasonable not to call it in my opinion.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bashez posted:

If anyone is confused about this by the way you're allowed to guard the guy with the ball from any position now so you can't get called for three seconds.

I don't really know how they handle the impending pick and roll there. He knows a guy is about to come into the lane so he stays there to pick him up, seems reasonable not to call it in my opinion.

Yeah, to put it in perspective, the big man may reach out to someone to show he's guarding them but that doesn't actually matter all that much- his man was the guy with the ball and he was sagging way off.

Refs are told fairly specifically to ignore the big man reaching out to touch someone to try to avoid the 3 second call.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Sure but why would anyone respect the Suns?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Dr.Radical posted:

Sure but why would anyone respect the Suns?

Yeah, the Suns are disrespecting the game of basketball.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OajnMnjCU_w

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bashez posted:

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, to put it in perspective, the big man may reach out to someone to show he's guarding them but that doesn't actually matter all that much- his man was the guy with the ball and he was sagging way off.

Refs are told fairly specifically to ignore the big man reaching out to touch someone to try to avoid the 3 second call.

He was standing in the lane for over 3 seconds when the guard had the ball too. And he didn't leave the lane when his man was guarded. It was a missed call.

quote:

e. If the defender is guarding the player with the ball, he may be located in the 16-foot lane. This defender is not required to be in an actively guarding/arm’s distance position. If another defender actively guards the player with the ball, the original defender must actively guard an opponent or exit the 16-foot lane. Once the offensive player passes the ball, the defender must actively guard an opponent or exit the 16-foot lane.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Basketball_101_Defensive_Thre-160312-822.html

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just bought the MP3 version of Here Come The Sixers because I can't be trusted on the internet with my bank card after midnight but also part of the proceeds apparently go to the Sunday Breakfast Mission so that's nice.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/espnstatsinfo/status/963288217582755840

:whitewater:

What a nothing season this has been. I wish Booker would get healthy, this team is unwatchable.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jah still got scored on and a foul on that play so lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jahlil Okafor is the most important player for the Cavaliers in the NBA . Ok second after Lebron.

Jah is going to single handedly tank that team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

LOL some loving idiot is on bill Simmons podcast defending the BPD Red Auerbach tweet

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Weird, Boston fan supports Boston PD doing a let's say misjudged tweet. Where they literally mention someone who should be honored as someone hired by the nice white man

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Paul Zuvella posted:

some loving idiot is on bill Simmons podcast

I mean, by definition

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22358028/the-nba-obsession-wine

This piece is extremely good.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Lockback posted:

He was standing in the lane for over 3 seconds when the guard had the ball too. And he didn't leave the lane when his man was guarded. It was a missed call.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Basketball_101_Defensive_Thre-160312-822.html

That's the part I don't really know how it's supposed to be called. The ballhandler starts to make his move right at the 3 second mark. Do you expect Jah to just go running away from the play at that point? I don't think that's really the purpose of the rule. It seems weird to me that you'd force a player to leave the lane on a drive.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

WhyteRyce posted:

I feel like Ron Artest was just way physically larger than any other wing in the league back then. Basketball Reference has him listed as 6'6" 260.

And he just bodied people all game long. It was probably just physically exhausting to absorb contact from him over an entire game.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Ya know that all-star draft builder thing? At the end, you can allegedly pick your coaching style:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bashez posted:

That's the part I don't really know how it's supposed to be called. The ballhandler starts to make his move right at the 3 second mark. Do you expect Jah to just go running away from the play at that point? I don't think that's really the purpose of the rule. It seems weird to me that you'd force a player to leave the lane on a drive.

I count more than 3 from when he stops defending his man before the drive starts (which would be imminently defending), but I guess its probably closer than it feels when watching and not counting. Defensive 3 seconds is a bit like holding in the NFL, its not called on every infraction because the refs need to be watching the action. I also think its frequently not very impactful because Jah could have just stepped out and it wouldn't have affected the D at all.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Away all Goats posted:

The most obvious 3 second call in the history of the rule

https://streamable.com/12ld0

14 seconds. He was there for 14 loving seconds.

The Refs are blaming players flops for their bad calls.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah this is great.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My friend almost bought me Yao's wine as a wedding present and I'm still really mad he didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Libertine posted:

I feel like Ron Artest was just way physically larger than any other wing in the league back then. Basketball Reference has him listed as 6'6" 260.

And he just bodied people all game long. It was probably just physically exhausting to absorb contact from him over an entire game.

I remember summer when he Hulked out and then ultimately couldn't chase Rip through screens in the ECF. But good job being an early proto small ball PF

• Locked thread