Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Don't most alloy wheels use differential cooling and internal stress to help strengthen the wheel? Because I'm looking at a whole lot of annealing going on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7cFMlLDE4A Here, have a frost heave where someone's built a road over a swamp (I guess). Sadly, no-one in a GAZ or lada decides to go hurtling over it blasting late '90s eurobeat.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

Don't most alloy wheels use differential cooling and internal stress to help strengthen the wheel? Because I'm looking at a whole lot of annealing going on there.
Yeah, that's not safe in any way. It's going to fail spectacularly at the slightest provocation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh, that wheel's totally hosed for heat treatment, yeah. Though I suppose they could re treat it and get it somewhere close to what it should be. But :ussr:

IPCRESS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7cFMlLDE4A Here, have a frost heave where someone's built a road over a swamp (I guess). Sadly, no-one in a GAZ or lada decides to go hurtling over it blasting late '90s eurobeat.
My standard for this stuff is Mam Tor:

This used to be a main A-road

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Volvo 262C Bertone in the background there too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ha, I completely missed that. There's a 240 sedan just out of the picture.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I've been wandering around the tractor video part of YouTube looking at Ford 8000/9000s like the one behind the van in that picture. This one has a really quotable old dude talking about restoring and driving one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmpiK6JNKNQ

"You sit up like you're sitting in the clouds on it."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

I've been wandering around the tractor video part of YouTube looking at Ford 8000/9000s like the one behind the van in that picture. This one has a really quotable old dude talking about restoring and driving one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmpiK6JNKNQ

"You sit up like you're sitting in the clouds on it."

Wrong thread, but do you know what would make that tractor even better?

If you bolted another tractor to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PBIxPmZm2s

*video wind warning*

What always intrigues me about a lot of old tractors is dudes spend hundreds of hours and 10s of thousands of dollars restoring them and then they're worth like $4000

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

What always intrigues me about a lot of old tractors is dudes spend hundreds of hours and 10s of thousands of dollars restoring them and then they're worth like $4000

Probably worth it vs the modern business model of "Buy the tractor but pay a subscription for the operating software".

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It's an old guy hobby, more common in rural areas where they have free barn space.

one of my old bosses liked to restore Caterpillar D2s he had 3-4 of them in various stages of :effort:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MRC48B posted:

It's an old guy hobby, more common in rural areas where they have free barn space.

one of my old bosses liked to restore Caterpillar D2s he had 3-4 of them in various stages of :effort:

My neighbor has at least six tractors assembled. He's got a barn/garage with three bays, each with a tractor, and three outside. At least four run, judging by the weekly hour-long exhaust notes when he's "running" them. There are also between a bunch and a pile of parts and frames in the woods.

They sell for ~$3000 each, and I've seen at least that much money in green paint go into that barn.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Terrible plow stuff.

That's my storage unit behind that pile of solid snowpack. Also visible is the result of my failed foolish attempt to try to open the door anyway in a fit of blind rage and desperation. I had a job to work last night and some of my equipment is in there.
I raised as much hell as I could but all they can do in the meantime is have someone sent out as soon as possible and will call me as soon as it's cleared. Then we'll talk restitution. :argh:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 18, 2018

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Root Bear posted:

Terrible plow stuff.

That's my storage unit behind that pile of solid snowpack. Also visible is the result of my failed foolish attempt to try to open the door anyway in a fit of blind rage and desperation. I had a job to work last night and some of my equipment is in there.
I raised as much hell as I could but all they can do in the meantime is have someone sent out as soon as possible and will call me as soon as it's cleared. Then we'll talk restitution. :argh:

Go buy a shovel

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Finger Prince posted:

Go buy a shovel

gently caress that. It’s probably solid ice by now. I’d be annoyed too.

Alternatively:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Or go rent a small tractor/skid steer with a loader and dump it all in front of the office doors.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Law of the north, once a snowplow puts it there that fucker ain't moving until it melts or a bigger snowplow shows up to move it more.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Looks like a job for a mattock to me.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Was just thinking that ice does not look near thick enough for those kinds of shenanigans. And welp,..

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gifv's don't work with img tags

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

season 4 lookin good

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iospace posted:

[dumbass falling into an obviously thawing iced-over lake a few feet from shore]

Good thing they didn't pull that poo poo a week earlier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MRC48B posted:

My grandma still has a Cat D2 in the shed I've only seen elsewhere once. Apparently, when required to make firebreaks during a bushfire, it started on the first try.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Your grandma sounds awesome.

I want a bulldozer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Problems with your brand new GTI?

uhhhh right, thanks vwvortex poster

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

*is not smart enough to take the car back to have it fixed/replaced*

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Also 2k17 and 2k18. Something about that bothers me. How is that better than 2017 and 2018?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

When my brand new Challenger rattled I took it back and told them to sort it. If I am buying something new I expect it to not sound like a 20 year old Citroen.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Dave Inc. posted:

Also 2k17 and 2k18. Something about that bothers me. How is that better than 2017 and 2018?

I thought he was talking about video games for a minute.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
just shove the dynamat tape in your ears instead

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why does this guy have both a 2017 and 2018 model??

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Why dynamat tape?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Why dynamat tape?

Sound insulation. I'm guessing that he's annoyed by stuff vibrating when he cranks up the bass on his stereo.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Sound insulation. I'm guessing that he's annoyed by stuff vibrating when he cranks up the bass on his stereo.

I get the logic of it, but dynamat is a bitch to remove. I can't speak for genuine stuff, but knockoff dynamat shmoo seeps out of the sides a bit the first time the temperature goes up. Why not use painters' tape if you just want it to not rattle?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Also, the proper application of dynamat would be underneath the switch controls. If you're going to be that dumb at all.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Door Frame posted:

I get the logic of it, but dynamat is a bitch to remove. I can't speak for genuine stuff, but knockoff dynamat shmoo seeps out of the sides a bit the first time the temperature goes up. Why not use painters' tape if you just want it to not rattle?

He is not a smart man.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
But it's not Dynamat, it's Dynamat tape. Isn't that just their own-brand of tape for sticking down and edge sealing stuff, with no damping properties itself?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What I got from those pictures was that he had upgraded his sound system (from 2017 to 2018) and the new system is rattling the poo poo out of his car. So his solution is to gently caress his car up worse.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

BigPaddy posted:

When my brand new Challenger rattled I took it back and told them to sort it. If I am buying something new I expect it to not sound like a 20 year old Citroen.

I promise you, your new Challenger cannot hold a candle to the level of noise in my almost 20 year old Citroen. I mean not even close.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thanks for the tip on Dynamat. Should do that now since my Lambo Merci is down to the frame thanks to a small fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

InitialDave posted:

But it's not Dynamat, it's Dynamat tape. Isn't that just their own-brand of tape for sticking down and edge sealing stuff, with no damping properties itself?

Dynamat posted:

DynaTape is a 2 mil aluminum finishing tape used with Dynamat to seal seams, attach wiring, contain unwanted butyl migration and give your project a complete, professional appearance.

So it is, I thought it was a thin roll of dynamat. Either way, I'd say he managed to make his interior look much more complete and professional

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks for the tip on Dynamat. Should do that now since my Lambo Merci is down to the frame thanks to a small fire.

Contrary to popular belief, sound deadening is very important for the rigidity of the chassis