Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

MysteriousStranger posted:

Overwatch makes people bad at FPS games. From Quake to PUBG to Tarkov to this one now. It's really the most dumbed down FPS out there.

I doubt it makes people bad at FPS games, it just makes FPS games more accessible to bad players, and then they branch out. FPS games have always had a large disparity in skill level and understanding of how combat works, especially in any game that doesn't have a big flashing icon as to where you should be fighting (and even then, it gives them no tactical awareness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Zaodai posted:

I doubt it makes people bad at FPS games, it just makes FPS games more accessible to bad players, and then they branch out. FPS games have always had a large disparity in skill level and understanding of how combat works, especially in any game that doesn't have a big flashing icon as to where you should be fighting (and even then, it gives them no tactical awareness).

It takes less skill than anything else on the market, and teaches people really bad habits that will get them smoked in any game that has any sort of skill or learning curve.

It's fun as hell though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Apparently Early Access buy-ins are out on Steam.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

It's fun as hell though.

And at the end of the day isn’t that all that really matters

It takes less skill than anything else on the market, and teaches people really bad habits that will get them smoked in any game that has any sort of skill or learning curve.

Psh I’m grandmaster 200 hours on Widow don’t talk to me about learning curves

*gets ambushed trudging through waist-high lake in the middle of an opening*

HORSESHIT loving 1v1 ME IN OVERWATCH SCRUB

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Vetitum posted:

Green Man Gaming has it up for $30 + with 20% off on a voucher 'TRYTHESE20'

greenmangaming.com/games/hunt-showdown-pc/

Had a lot of fun in the alpha, was expecting to buy this down the line for like $50. Getting it for $24 is a steal. Could see this getting a little stale if they don't balance actually going for the boss compared to camping people who have the bounty but for now its not really that bothersome.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

punch drunk posted:

Had a lot of fun in the alpha, was expecting to buy this down the line for like $50. Getting it for $24 is a steal. Could see this getting a little stale if they don't balance actually going for the boss compared to camping people who have the bounty but for now its not really that bothersome.

There's usually more than one exit on the map, don't be predictable if you get the bounty.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Playing my first round now.

Killed a player but died to a rag claw thing.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 22, 2018

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

There's usually more than one exit on the map, don't be predictable if you get the bounty.

Its kind of hard not being predictable when literally everyone else on the map can see where you are. And it always seems to be two exits close to each other and one maybe kinda far. Depending on how theyre spread out even just one team can sometimes cover all three. Besides, you don't even need to camp the exits, you can just camp outside the boss site.

It doesn't actually bother me that much since I'm fine with fighting dudes I'd rather there just be some more incentive to actually fight/kill the boss.

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 22, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

punch drunk posted:

Its kind of hard not being predictable when literally everyone else on the map can see where you are. And it always seems to be two exits close to each other and one maybe kinda far. Depending on how theyre spread out even just one team can sometimes cover all three. Besides, you don't even need to camp the exits, you can just camp outside the boss site.

It doesn't actually bother me that much since I'm fine with fighting dudes I'd rather there just be some more incentive to actually fight/kill the boss.

This may just be because I have played too much Friday the 13th - but I see an incentive in the chance to kill the bounty campers. :murder:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Occurred to me to wonder:
Do all the hunters in the game share exit points?
I'm assuming so - which surprises me as throughout the Alpha I was never once ambushed en-route to exit.
The latest I ever had fights against players was during banishing - if I was the one killing the boss.

On the offense, I snuck more than my share of murders on players as they were in the act of picking up their bounty tokens (I love you, dynamite), but I almost always made a point of trying to steal the boss kill itself for that juicy reward, rather than letting them get the killing blow.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh poo poo, I didn’t expect EA so soon. Have they added anything since the alpha?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There are issues, the servers are melting down.

Infinium
May 27, 2010
I kinda wish they had either had the alpha longer (slowly letting more people in) or waiting another week or two on EA, because as much as I love the game, the servers were melting down most of the alpha off and on pretty bad. Also most of the alpha the party system was very broken.

On a better note, the roadmap looks pretty sweet, the devs were constantly pushing out patches, and I loving love the atmosphere of the game.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yo also be prepared for explanations about how there is no cheating when ckrytek has Helios and I hope their anti-cheat works. maybe they will give a poo poo.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Grognan posted:

There are issues, the servers are melting down.

It's the first day of open early access, this is standard for any game.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

I forgot about Helios. Welp, I already paid for the game. As long as they don't add items on the Steam Marketplace it shouldn't get too lovely.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

30 bucks is steep for an early access game. Finish it then up the price. Do a Subnautica or The Long Dark. Both games had good price points because you were essentially testing the game for them and when they were finished they got a price increase. I'm just trying to justify being broke as hell.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm in the same boat, i really dig the aesthetic of the game ever since I saw the animations on the big rear end spider

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Went in blind with a friend and had a blast. We arrived at the boss location when two dudes were already fighting the boss. We snuck up on them and killed them both. Hearing one exclaim "OH WHAT THE gently caress" was worth the 30$ for me. Being able to hear players talk in proximity is awesome.

Now I don't wanna ever launch the game again because my hunter survived and leveled up and I am afraid to lose him. :ohdear:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

keyframe posted:

Went in blind with a friend and had a blast. We arrived at the boss location when two dudes were already fighting the boss. We snuck up on them and killed them both. Hearing one exclaim "OH WHAT THE gently caress" was worth the 30$ for me. Being able to hear players talk in proximity is awesome.

Now I don't wanna ever launch the game again because my hunter survived and leveled up and I am afraid to lose him. :ohdear:

Don't get attached. All through alpha I only had one guy get to level 50. Ozone had one get to 50 then took "one last bounty" when he was eligible for retirement. He didn't make it.

Also, don't clutter your available hunters by buying hunters you don't need. Once you get to Tier II, you don't want to be full of Tier 1 nerds that you bought because they happened to carry a sparks.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Grognan posted:

Yo also be prepared for explanations about how there is no cheating when ckrytek has Helios and I hope their anti-cheat works. maybe they will give a poo poo.

I had my first match with Tinfoil Papercut and I dropped my connection. He saw me in a tree, but I was teleporting all over the map from tree to tree and could see enemy movement. Then I got an error for having stuff that was invalid for the anti cheat configuration and was out of the match. Turns out there is a silly folder under the root of the game file you need to install or repair because it corrupts and will kick you.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

I had my first match with Tinfoil Papercut and I dropped my connection. He saw me in a tree, but I was teleporting all over the map from tree to tree and could see enemy movement. Then I got an error for having stuff that was invalid for the anti cheat configuration and was out of the match. Turns out there is a silly folder under the root of the game file you need to install or repair because it corrupts and will kick you.

After you crashed I got chased by dogs, managed to *just* beat the bounty extractors to the far exit, wounded them, then died.

Sad about the bounty, and I lost like 20 bucks. But I'll take a 4:1 K/D any match.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

After you crashed I got chased by dogs, managed to *just* beat the bounty extractors to the far exit, wounded them, then died.

Sad about the bounty, and I lost like 20 bucks. But I'll take a 4:1 K/D any match.

Well done! I'll be back around a bit after work and later tonight. Servers were hosed all night after I got back from my night.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Are you supposed to sneak around or something at the start?

My first two matches lasted 30 seconds each (well, after the 5 minutes matchmaking and loading) and each time that weird armored skeleton or whatever it is supposed to be just killed off both players. Game over.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

haldolium posted:

My first two matches lasted 30 seconds each (well, after the 5 minutes matchmaking and loading) and each time that weird armored skeleton or whatever it is supposed to be just killed off both players. Game over.

Yes. Don’t aggro the armored thing. If you do, kill it with a grenade or something.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

haldolium posted:

If you run blindly into the NPC's you WILL DIE

Zombies hit for ~25 HP a whack. Armoreds hit for ~50. Your Tier 1 hunters have 100 HP to start before upgrades, for reference.

I updated the OP with some basic descriptions of the baddies and how to engage. You need shotguns to take on an armored unless you are at good range or unpathable.

Inside Out Mom posted:

Just watched a streamer run around, scare birds, crank open a door, fire wildly, then get shot because they're in the water, and quit because the game sucks where's my refund. lmao BOI this ain't overwatch.

This game is not about running in and killing things as loud and as fast as possible, it's about risk / reward, tactics and decision making.

I try to reflect on every death I have to figure out what I did wrong, how I could have approached the situation differently or better.

I'd say 10% of my deaths are poo poo luck, 10% are being outgunned (read: skill) and 80% because I hosed up somehow and made a bad choice.

For example, I have a tendency to engage hunters from ranges I know I'm not as good with (long), which is what led to my death last night. I try to work on being patient and letting the targets get closer or getting myself closer where I know I'm more lethal.

So the answer to your question is: it depends on what you're willing and able to do in the situation. If you are new, I'd advise keeping a low profile and assessing where you are and what's around you before you make noise. The NPC's are the least of your concerns.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can you give some tips on poo poo you can pick up in game?
I have only played in the day so I ignore all the lanterns. But it seems like they can be used to set poo poo on fire? WTF game?
Lanterns - IDFK, they give light during the day. worthless?
Gas Lamps - turn them off. It is day time, you don't need that poo poo.
Supplies - one time use. so use per player I think. You can tell if someone else used them, I think. Because they will be cracked vs fully closed.
found ammo - yea, most of it is worthless
Barrels - Red explosion, yellow fire. Both take about 2 shots to set off. Also, DON'T PUNCH THEM. You will die.
Sledge - kills poo poo in one hit but uses a lot of stam.
Axe - IDFK, it doesn't kill in one hit but maybe it de-doors better than the sledge?
Generator - turn that baby on! I tell myself that if they are all turned on, Zapdos will be summoned. Pokémon Go 2.0
Doors - Some doors are barred. Those suck. Others require you to hold down the action button. Those suck more.
Hints - always in the same spot. so either rush to your first and move on or camp it.

Player ammo - does it reset after a game if you live? Should I try to max my ammo out right before I leave? I don't know. I don't live a lot. Sorry, Mom.

I just suck at shooting. Lost two close range battles with a shotgun. Long range, I do better. I think the rifle/shotgun pistol will be my go to w/knife as a backup.

It took me like 8 games before I used my knife. That think is a loving blender.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 23, 2018

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

If you run blindly into the NPC's you WILL DIE

Zombies hit for ~25 HP a whack. Armoreds hit for ~50. Your Tier 1 hunters have 100 HP to start before upgrades, for reference.

I updated the OP with some basic descriptions of the baddies and how to engage. You need shotguns to take on an armored unless you are at good range or unpathable.

This game is not about running in and killing things as loud and as fast as possible, it's about risk / reward, tactics and decision making.

I try to reflect on every death I have to figure out what I did wrong, how I could have approached the situation differently or better.

I'd say 10% of my deaths are poo poo luck, 10% are being outgunned (read: skill) and 80% because I hosed up somehow and made a bad choice.

For example, I have a tendency to engage hunters from ranges I know I'm not as good with (long), which is what led to my death last night. I try to work on being patient and letting the targets get closer or getting myself closer where I know I'm more lethal.

So the answer to your question is: it depends on what you're willing and able to do in the situation. If you are new, I'd advise keeping a low profile and assessing where you are and what's around you before you make noise. The NPC's are the least of your concerns.

Pirate Radar posted:

Yes. Don’t aggro the armored thing. If you do, kill it with a grenade or something.

Thanks.

Seems to be not the best game for playing with randoms then.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Two Feet From Bread posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can you give some tips on poo poo you can pick up in game?
I have only played in the day so I ignore all the lanterns. But it seems like they can be used to set poo poo on fire? WTF game?
Lanterns - IDFK, they give light during the day. worthless?
Gas Lamps - turn them off. It is day time, you don't need that poo poo.
Supplies - one time use. so use per player I think. You can tell if someone else used them, I think. Because they will be cracked vs fully closed.
found ammo - yea, most of it is worthless
Barrels - Red explosion, yellow fire. Both take about 2 shots to set off. Also, DON'T PUNCH THEM. You will die.
Sledge - kills poo poo in one hit but uses a lot of stam.
Axe - IDFK, it doesn't kill in one hit but maybe it de-doors better than the sledge?
Generator - turn that baby on! I tell myself that if they are all turned on, Zapdos will be summoned. Pokémon Go 2.0
Doors - Some doors are barred. Those suck. Others require you to hold down the action button. Those suck more.
Hits - always in the same spot. so either rush to your first and move on or camp it.

Player ammo - does it reset after a game if you live? Should I try to max my ammo out right before I leave? I don't know. I don't live a lot. Sorry, Mom.

I just suck at shooting. Lost two close range battles with a shotgun. Long range, I do better. I think the rifle/shotgun pistol will be my go to w/knife as a backup.

It took me like 8 games before I used my knife. That think is a loving blender.

I plan on adding such a section. You have most of them figured out BUT:

1) Never use the crank doors, they make a shitload of noise and require you to be stationary. Never be stationary.

2) Don't use the generators UNLESS you need cover noise (i.e. someone is close and you know that they know that you're there) Otherwise it's a big "I'M HERE DOING poo poo!" sign.

3) Pick-up-and-throw lanterns can kill zombie hoards and armored very effectively. Makes noise.

4) Ammo boxes replenish all your ammo supply by a percentage (roughly 40) You get one use per box. Ammo is 100% at every mission start.

quote:

Hits - always in the same spot. so either rush to your first and move on or camp it.

IDK what this means, If you meant clues- they are NOT always in the same spot and people get different clue locations. Camping them is a bad idea, because clues can go "inactive" if other people eliminate that section of the map. You will always get a clue at a "main" area which is still open to having the boss on your map.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The key to armored zombos is not shotguns.
They actually have a resistance to shotty rending damage.
Shoot/stab them in the legs instead and they are way less of a hassle.
Shotties will kill them but its 2-3 shots wasted.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I plan on adding such a section. You have most of them figured out BUT:

1) Never use the crank doors, they make a shitload of noise and require you to be stationary. Never be stationary.

2) Don't use the generators UNLESS you need cover noise (i.e. someone is close and you know that they know that you're there) Otherwise it's a big "I'M HERE DOING poo poo!" sign.

3) Pick-up-and-throw lanterns can kill zombie hoards and armored very effectively. Makes noise.

4) Ammo boxes replenish all your ammo supply by a percentage (roughly 40) You get one use per box. Ammo is 100% at every mission start.

IDK what this means, If you meant clues- they are NOT always in the same spot and people get different clue locations. Camping them is a bad idea, because clues can go "inactive" if other people eliminate that section of the map. You will always get a clue at a "main" area which is still open to having the boss on your map.

typo. Meant to say 'hints'. clues also works and is probably proper.

Guess I was wrong about that. I have found several in the exact same spot from game to game. Granted I have only played about 8 games and only see 0-3 hints a game. At one point, I had back to back games where 2 hints overlapped. Both hints were in the same spot in game 2 vs game 1.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Something that wasn't obvious to me my first round, but within a certain range if you turn on your darkvision (E by default) you'll see blue sparkles leading you to nearby clues. The denser the sparkles the closer it is, and when you get within visual range it turns to a solid blue glow. Once somebody starts banishing, you'll also see a giant loving blue tornado coming from the banishment.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
By the way how many players are in a match?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Someone sell me on this. I've played two rounds and am not convinced this is a fun game. The movement feels lethargic, AI enemies seem mostly unremarkable, and content seems limited, even for EA. Is this just not the game for me?

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

keyframe posted:

By the way how many players are in a match?

I believe there are 5 teams per match. A team can be either one or two players.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Reading through some of the chatter in discord last night, I think the biggest skill to learn for new players in the audio queues. There were some who simply didn't know what hit them or from where (it's not hackers, at least not yet). As a hunter, my main objective is hunting other hunters and every time I hear them before I see them. Here's a quick break down on some audio queues:

A murder of crows:

It's best to avoid these entirely. Once triggered they will squawk and fly away. These are some of the best clues to follow when looking for other players as they can only be triggered by hunters. The audio clue can be enough to locate but they can also be seen flying away over the trees at a fair distance. I always move towards the sound of birds.

You can get past them by crouching and keeping a distance of about 10m. If you trigger them, run and relocate ASAP, however make sure you don't just wildly panic and run at more audio triggers.

Dogs in cages/Chicken coops:

Like the crows, its best keeping a distance from these as once triggered they will go batshit for a few minutes and can only be triggered by hunters. They can be shot/set on fire to shut them up however making noise to stop noise is counter intuitive. If you see the kennel/cage (they look similar) just skirt round them, keep a distance of about 20m from these while crouched, they seem to see you better than the birds.

Horses:

These are noisy bastards and will continue to make noise while you are in their vicinity. They look like a sleeping (possibly dead) horse as you approach, although you will hear a breathing noise to signify its alive as you get close.

If triggered you can take them out with melee, but their noise travels. Overall best avoided by about 20m while crouched. Again, can only be triggered by hunters.

Doors/Gates:

Fairly straight forward, doors and their hinges make noise. When left open they can also let hunters know that someone has been in that area. Barricaded doors can be opened by hitting them with melee/explosives which also make noise.

Jump over gates instead of opening them, some doors will need to be opened to access areas but barricaded doors always have a way round (look for ladders, holes in walls, gaps under buildings).

Glass/Tin cans/Chains/Puddles of water:

At first glance these just look like inert parts of the map, however you should always be conscious of what you are walking over. These all make unique noise that varies depending on factors such as running, walking or crouching. For example running over broken glass is LOUD but crouching as you walk over makes significantly less noise. Again running through water makes more noise than creeping through it.

Sometimes these triggers can't be effectively avoided, especially around built up areas. You can always limit the noise you make by how you approach and traverse them. Be aware that these CAN be triggered by infected, so the noise you hear may be a walker crossing glass/hitting chains.

Wood (Floor boards):

Walking over wood increases the noise of your footsteps. You can hear hunters inside buildings creeping around from outside, even when crouching.

This is difficult to mitigate as throughout a game you are going to have to cross wood at some point. Just be aware that you are making more noise than you think you are/can hear yourself. Which means you are louder than you can hear. The best way to explain this is when you have a partner, if you are both crouching and walking through the forest you will hear your partner making more noise than you. You may think you are being quiet, but they hear you making that same amount of noise. In other words, sometimes you think you are creeping silently and you really aren't.

Water (in general):

Crossing water is noisy, it can also be slow depending on the depth of the water. Sitting by water you will be able to hear a gentle flow/swish of the water around you. This can sound like someone in the water but I guess its just the wind. Infected in the water also make noise as they pass though it.

Water noise takes a little bit of getting used to. The sound of an infected walking in water is different to the sound of a player. Unfortunately its a little difficult to describe but its is essentially down to the persons stride and the noise that makes. You will learn the difference in time.

Extraction points:

If more than once team is close to the extraction points then the boats/horse will start making noise. The boat engine will turn on and start pumping out black smoke or the horses pulling the carriage will start going nuts. This means someone else is extracting/camping.

Gunfire:

For me, the only acceptable time to shoot is at other players or the boss monster. For everything else if you can't kill it with melee, then avoid it. If you trigger it, run like a bitch. Once you have the bounty then feel free to light everything up as you are glowing like a Christmas tree anyway.

If you hear people shooting, go get em girls. Scratch their eyes out.

I think this is most of them, if I can think of any more I'll add to it. Hopefully this helps some of you.

Edit* Also hunters don't cough, only the infected make that noise.

deported to Canada fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 23, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

deported to Canada posted:

Reading through some of the chatter in discord last night, I think the biggest skill to learn for new players in the audio queues. There were some who simply didn't know what hit them or from where (it's not hackers, at least not yet). As a hunter, my main objective is hunting other hunters and every time I hear them before I see them. Here's a quick break down on some audio queues:

A murder of crows:

It's best to avoid these entirely. Once triggered they will squawk and fly away. These are some of the best clues to follow when looking for other players as they can only be triggered by hunters. The audio clue can be enough to locate but they can also be seen flying away over the trees at a fair distance. I always move towards the sound of birds.

You can get past them by crouching and keeping a distance of about 10m. If you trigger them, run and relocate ASAP, however make sure you don't just wildly panic and run at more audio triggers.

Dogs in cages/Chicken coops:

Like the crows, its best keeping a distance from these as once triggered they will go batshit for a few minutes and can only be triggered by hunters. They can be shot/set on fire to shut them up however making noise to stop noise is counter intuitive. If you see the kennel/cage (they look similar) just skirt round them, keep a distance of about 20m from these while crouched, they seem to see you better than the birds.

Horses:

These are noisy bastards and will continue to make noise while you are in their vicinity. They look like a sleeping (possibly dead) horse as you approach, although you will hear a breathing noise to signify its alive as you get close.

If triggered you can take them out with melee, but their noise travels. Overall best avoided by about 20m while crouched. Again, can only be triggered by hunters.

Doors/Gates:

Fairly straight forward, doors and their hinges make noise. When left open they can also let hunters know that someone has been in that area. Barricaded doors can be opened by hitting them with melee/explosives which also make noise.

Jump over gates instead of opening them, some doors will need to be opened to access areas but barricaded doors always have a way round (look for ladders, holes in walls, gaps under buildings).

Glass/Tin cans/Chains/Puddles of water:

At first glance these just look like inert parts of the map, however you should always be conscious of what you are walking over. These all make unique noise that varies depending on factors such as running, walking or crouching. For example running over broken glass is LOUD but crouching as you walk over makes significantly less noise. Again running through water makes more noise than creeping through it.

Sometimes these triggers can't be effectively avoided, especially around built up areas. You can always limit the noise you make by how you approach and traverse them. Be aware that these CAN be triggered by infected, so the noise you hear may be a walker crossing glass/hitting chains.

Wood (Floor boards):

Walking over wood increases the noise of your footsteps. You can hear hunters inside buildings creeping around from outside, even when crouching.

This is difficult to mitigate as throughout a game you are going to have to cross wood at some point. Just be aware that you are making more noise than you think you are/can hear yourself. Which means you are louder than you can hear. The best way to explain this is when you have a partner, if you are both crouching and walking through the forest you will hear your partner making more noise than you. You may think you are being quiet, but they hear you making that same amount of noise. In other words, sometimes you think you are creeping silently and you really aren't.

Water (in general):

Crossing water is noisy, it can also be slow depending on the depth of the water. Sitting by water you will be able to hear a gentle flow/swish of the water around you. This can sound like someone in the water but I guess its just the wind. Infected in the water also make noise as they pass though it.

Water noise takes a little bit of getting used to. The sound of an infected walking in water is different to the sound of a player. Unfortunately its a little difficult to describe but its is essentially down to the persons stride and the noise that makes. You will learn the difference in time.

Extraction points:

If more than once team is close to the extraction points then the boats/horse will start making noise. The boat engine will turn on and start pumping out black smoke or the horses pulling the carriage will start going nuts. This means someone else is extracting/camping.

Gunfire:

For me, the only acceptable time to shoot is at other players or the boss monster. For everything else if you can't kill it with melee, then avoid it. If you trigger it, run like a bitch. Once you have the bounty then feel free to light everything up as you are glowing like a Christmas tree anyway.

If you hear people shooting, go get em girls. Scratch their eyes out.

I think this is most of them, if I can think of any more I'll add to it. Hopefully this helps some of you.

Edit* Also hunters don't cough, only the infected make that noise.

Great breakdown and imam add it to 2nd OP post.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Can I recruit a second hunter while keeping my first still alive one? Wanna do some solo runs but don't wanna risk my main hunter.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

keyframe posted:

Can I recruit a second hunter while keeping my first still alive one? Wanna do some solo runs but don't wanna risk my main hunter.

Yes, I think you can have ~5 recruited. I wouldn't fill it up with Tier 1 guys, as eventually you will have access to Tier II (and III) and want room for the badasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Someone sell me on this. I've played two rounds and am not convinced this is a fun game. The movement feels lethargic, AI enemies seem mostly unremarkable, and content seems limited, even for EA. Is this just not the game for me?

You're not playing this game to punch zombies from a dead sprint, funny as it is. You're hunting other players. Do you like using contextual clues to hone in on players and steal their hard earned work? This is the game for you. If you want NPC zombie killing, KF2 is probably a better choice.