Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Are you calling the Confederacy the revolutionaries? Revolutionaries change the status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

KVeezy3 posted:

Progress has always been a history of struggle, that will never change. It's cute that people here who reject liberalism are being painted as bloodthirsty cowards though, as if perpetuating liberalism doesn't result in violence.

Progress is struggle, so let’s dive headfirst into horrible, bloody, violent revolution! Bring me the head of Barron Trump!

Like, seriously, that’s Killmonger’s plan. And you’re advocating for it hard. I don’t care if you reject liberalism or whatever, that’s not what’s making me think you’re a bloodthirsty coward, it’s because you’re stridently defending the targeted murder of children.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

KVeezy3 posted:

Are you calling the Confederacy the revolutionaries? Revolutionaries change the status quo.

They were the ones attempting to secede. By definition they were the insurrectionists.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

garycoleisgod posted:

Yes,the violence would be horrible and cost untold innocent lives.
But if you want change, what are the other options? As I said, we all know the outreach center ain't gonna do poo poo.
How many died in the French Revolution? The American Civil War? WWII? Were they worth it? Whats the difference between someone killed deliberately, accidentally or by inaction?

The more damning part abiut Killmongers plan is it would fail.
1) Arm people
2)????
3) Revolution!
Not much of a plan.

The more violent a revolution gets, the more likely it is to fail at it's proclaimed ideological aims. The aforementioned French revolution failed because of it's descent into retalitory violence and purges, while the mild American revolution succeeded because it's was a relatively peacefull transition.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

America has had two violent revolutions, the outcomes of which are remembered pretty fondly. Most modern countries were founded by extremists of some sort or another.

I feel like you're forgetting one... something about, like, panthers or something? I don't know, it's not springing to mind.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Charlz Guybon posted:

Hey, T'Challa was technically correct. He neither died nor yielded, thus the challange that Killmonger brought forth was still ongoing and T'Challa was still the legal King. :colbert:

T’Challa received outside help twice. He’d have been dead twice over if the rules were followed.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

They were the ones attempting to secede. By definition they were the insurrectionists.

Insurrectionists, yes. But they were rebelling to protect the status quo.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

XboxPants posted:

I feel like you're forgetting one... something about, like, panthers or something? I don't know, it's not springing to mind.

It wasn’t an exhaustive list, just an argument against the notion that history isn’t kind to revolution.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

XboxPants posted:

There are quite a lot more violent insurrections in american history that are either never talked about, revised to fit the dominant narrative or whose events are actively suppressed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

America has had two violent revolutions, the outcomes of which are remembered pretty fondly. Most modern countries were founded by extremists of some sort or another.

The military arms of then are nothing compared to the military arms of now and the US benefited heavily from the Atlantic separation from Europe as it does to this day. If Britain were on the same continent it would’ve been a vastly different story.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What if MLK had vibranium Kalashnikovs

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Progress is struggle, so let’s dive headfirst into horrible, bloody, violent revolution! Bring me the head of Barron Trump!

Like, seriously, that’s Killmonger’s plan. And you’re advocating for it hard. I don’t care if you reject liberalism or whatever, that’s not what’s making me think you’re a bloodthirsty coward, it’s because you’re stridently defending the targeted murder of children.

It's absurd that this reactionary movie has warped your mind into thinking that those are the only two choices we have.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The problem with revolutions is that it's sort of violent and continues the cycle of oppression and the victims eventually sort of have a grudge. The further problem is that over time it feasts on itself to consume and creates a different caste/class system and then those in power seek to hold and maintain it and struggle with change. It's also corruptible. The key is to be inclusive and a different sort of revolution that lets what's being revolted against or the downtrodden have a voice or know they're not losing. It's a more peaceful insurrection. The key is to be fluid and adapt and anticipate change, welcome it, and guide things and fellow man. There needs to be a compassionate revolution or some poo poo.

Real change requires either Act of God, Violence, or Hard work and influence and constant work over generations through peaceful means. It depends on how long you're willing to work and how capable you are of implementing your plans. Time and patience with a capable genuinely good natured and well intentioned hand.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

The military arms of then are nothing compared to the military arms of now and the US benefited heavily from the Atlantic separation from Europe as it does to this day. If Britain were on the same continent it would’ve been a vastly different story.

Just like how easy it was for them to subdue Scotland! :-D

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

KVeezy3 posted:

It's absurd that this reactionary movie has warped your mind into thinking that those are the only two choices we have.

I absolutely don’t think there are only two choices, but the kind of revolution you’re shilling for removes all but one.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Greece, Rome, America, that sort of thing lasts a longer time because it allows the conquered to become citizens and have a voice in the process. Or at least that's the idea. If you're going to have a revolution, it can't be one that oppresses or victimizes constantly and separates the haves from the have nots. Killmonger's revolution would fail and is doomed, it is false. T'Challa's is more even tempered.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
In the civil rights movement, violence and the threat of violence along with hard work and effort put in over a decade helped result in the gains that occurred. It’s not a dichotomy and the two applied appropriately at the right time can have a better result than either would individually but I’m a little wary about whether any of the groups using violence during that time were of the “burn it the gently caress down” mentality.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TheKingofSprings posted:

In the civil rights movement, violence and the threat of violence along with hard work and effort put in over a decade helped result in the gains that occurred. It’s not a dichotomy and the two applied appropriately at the right time can have a better result than either would individually but I’m a little wary about whether any of the groups using violence during that time were of the “burn it the gently caress down” mentality.

Right. Both had a play. The threat of a violent revolution made the powers that be want to settle with the more peaceful hand. "Speak softly but carry a big stick."

Now more than ever, the U.S. needs a Teddy Roosevelt.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Phylodox posted:

I absolutely don’t think there are only two choices, but the kind of revolution you’re shilling for removes all but one.

I haven't advocated for anything, but feel free to keep telling me that I'm thirsty for child blood.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Gatts posted:

The problem with revolutions is that it's sort of violent and continues the cycle of oppression and the victims eventually sort of have a grudge. The further problem is that over time it feasts on itself to consume and creates a different caste/class system and then those in power seek to hold and maintain it and struggle with change. It's also corruptible. The key is to be inclusive and a different sort of revolution that lets what's being revolted against or the downtrodden have a voice or know they're not losing. It's a more peaceful insurrection. The key is to be fluid and adapt and anticipate change, welcome it, and guide things and fellow man. There needs to be a compassionate revolution or some poo poo.

Real change requires either Act of God, Violence, or Hard work and influence and constant work over generations through peaceful means. It depends on how long you're willing to work and how capable you are of implementing your plans. Time and patience with a capable genuinely good natured and well intentioned hand.

Somewhat related to this, while making Ross a member of the CIA is a definite misstep, I feel like his role in the narrative is meant to say that there is room at the table for white people who want to be a part of the solution to inequality. Even if they were previously part of the problem.

Earning a spot at the table is predicated on their ability to shut up, listen, and to help only when and how they are asked to do so.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Gatts posted:

Right. Both had a play. The threat of a violent revolution made the powers that be want to settle with the more peaceful hand. "Speak softly but carry a big stick."

Now more than ever, the U.S. needs a Teddy Roosevelt.

how about a US fueled anti-revolution squad with Warmachine, Captain America and a staff of Hydra influenced counter-intelligence agents that can unleash Hulk on a third world countries who threaten American hegemony.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gatts posted:

Greece, Rome, America, that sort of thing lasts a longer time because it allows the conquered to become citizens and have a voice in the process. Or at least that's the idea. If you're going to have a revolution, it can't be one that oppresses or victimizes constantly and separates the haves from the have nots. Killmonger's revolution would fail and is doomed, it is false. T'Challa's is more even tempered.

Greece didn't do this and it's the primary reason they got rolled over by the Romans.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

KVeezy3 posted:

I haven't advocated for anything, but feel free to keep telling me that I'm thirsty for child blood.

Then what are you advocating here? Because this is the discussion we’re having; open war versus more moderate means. You thumb your nose at outreach centres and education and the like as ineffectual liberal nonsense, so what’s your answer?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Then what are you advocating here? Because this is the discussion we’re having; open war versus more moderate means. You thumb your nose at outreach centres and education and the like as ineffectual liberal nonsense, so what’s your answer?

This is not the discussion we're having, that is the discussion the movie Black Panther is having. I'm sure climate catastrophe will wait while we make moderate progress though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Charlz Guybon posted:

Greece didn't do this and it's the primary reason they got rolled over by the Romans.

Thanks for correcting. My bad.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

KVeezy3 posted:

This is not the discussion we're having, that is the discussion the movie Black Panther is having. I'm sure climate catastrophe will wait while we make moderate progress though.

This is the Black Panther thread. We’re talking about Black Panther. Not fuckin’ climate change or whatever. Debate and Discussion is over that way.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Either way, my point is that there are many historical revolutions not driven by a desire for positive change, where the result failed to result in it before corruption or oppression resurfaced, or which left themselves open to be twisted into allowing or thriving on inequality.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Phylodox posted:

This is the Black Panther thread. We’re talking about Black Panther. Not fuckin’ climate change or whatever. Debate and Discussion is over that way.

The two options presented in Black Panther, the movie we are discussing in this thread, are "outreach centers and liberal aid" or "black people murder white people and their whole families with advanced weapons and then swear fealty to a man who calls himself Kilmonger." It's a stupid false choice. The lament is that this is what the movie presents, that it lacks the imagination to provide anything more than a comforting reaffirmation of the same boring tropes about how education and more dialogue will fix things.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It's a stupid false choice. The lament is that this is what the movie presents, that it lacks the imagination to provide anything more than a comforting reaffirmation of the same boring tropes about how education and more dialogue will fix things.

I mean, education and dialogue help, but okay, what should T’Challa have done?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The two options presented in Black Panther, the movie we are discussing in this thread, are "outreach centers and liberal aid" or "black people murder white people and their whole families with advanced weapons and then swear fealty to a man who calls himself Kilmonger." It's a stupid false choice. The lament is that this is what the movie presents, that it lacks the imagination to provide anything more than a comforting reaffirmation of the same boring tropes about how education and more dialogue will fix things.

This is what I was trying to say but better written and more concise.

The answer I suggest is the end of capitalism.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

garycoleisgod posted:

And how's T'Challa gonna just do that? In a 2.5 hour movie?

And how would that even really fix anything?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Phylodox posted:

I mean, education and dialogue help, but okay, what should T’Challa have done?

There’s a wide breadth of possible options between “outreach center” and “kill all white people and bow to me,” and any of those would have been better than what got.

They could have even taken a page from the actual Black Panther party and provided Wakandan weapons to black men in America to protect themselves against racist cops.

Or use their network of spies to organize and provide weapons to grass roots self defense or revolutionary movements around the world.

Or spend his time in America hunting down and beating up racist and reactionary cops and politicians. Basically woke Batman.

Or even just throw the CIA dude out on his rear end and use his UN speech denounce western democracies as shams built on colonialism and systemic oppression and impress upon them their need to fix poo poo now or Wakanda will use its magical space metal to start fixing them itself. Oh, and also don’t give them any loving technology.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

garycoleisgod posted:

This is what I was trying to say but better written and more concise.

Ok but what does that actually look like at a practical level? T'Challa picks up a phone and yells "Legalize communism, dude!!" into it? What actual action do you want him to take?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Phylodox posted:

And how's T'Challa gonna just do that? In a 2.5 hour movie?

And how would that even really fix anything?
Clearly the movie should have ended like Battleship Potemkin

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Phylodox posted:

I mean, education and dialogue help, but okay,

Get outta here with that poo poo. It's not like community organising ever lead to a historically racist country electing it's first black president or anything.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There’s a wide breadth of possible options between “outreach center” and “kill all white people and bow to me,” and any of those would have been better than what got.

They could have even taken a page from the actual Black Panther party and provided Wakandan weapons to black men in America to protect themselves against racist cops.

Or use their network of spies to organize and provide weapons to grass roots self defense or revolutionary movements around the world.

Or spend his time in America hunting down and beating up racist and reactionary cops and politicians. Basically woke Batman.

These are all just basically variations on Killmonger's plan.

quote:

Or even just throw the CIA dude out on his rear end and use his UN speech denounce western democracies as shams built on colonialism and systemic oppression and impress upon them their need to fix poo poo now or Wakanda will use its magical space metal to start fixing them itself. Oh, and also don’t give them any loving technology.

And this is basically holding the world hostage. These don't seem like particularly efficient or workable solutions at all. They mostly seem like ways for angry people to experience catharsis which, okay, that's good in the short term, won't really solve anything in the long term.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Yeah I suppose having a revolution in a film is pretty out there. Hey, what's this list of sci-fi films doing here? Elysium, Mad Max: Fury Road, Flash Gordon (1980), Conan the Destroyer, The Matrix Reloaded, Star Wars Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi, V for Vendetta, Snowpiercer, Demolition Man, Tank Girl, Willow, Thor: Ragnarok ?

If change can't happen in our fiction, what chance in real life?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Supplying advanced arms to rebels - what could go wrong? I'm sure those weapons will never be stolen by the government and turned against the people they are meant to protect.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

garycoleisgod posted:

Yeah I suppose having a revolution in a film is pretty out there. Hey, what's this list of sci-fi films doing here? Elysium, Mad Max: Fury Road, Flash Gordon (1980), Conan the Destroyer, The Matrix Reloaded, Star Wars Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi, V for Vendetta, Snowpiercer, Demolition Man, Tank Girl, Willow, Thor: Ragnarok ?

If change can't happen in our fiction, what chance in real life?

I mean...those all present incredibly simple solutions, too. Most of them involve killing some figurehead, after which the evil empire crumbles. The real world is a lot more complicated. You're not gonna save it with some flashy revolution. If you kill Donald Trump, they don't just automatically flip the switch to "COMMUNISM". Is that how you wanted Black Panther to handle it? I'd much rather they presented change as a slow, gradual process involving hard work and perseverence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Would it have been so hard to make a compelling movie where the cia is the villain, with their weapon being Erik? Then, in a show of unity, tchalla and erik triumph over outside forces seeking to exploit wakanda, each taking from each other the elements they were individually lacking and unveiling a wakanda well equipped and well informed enough to present a counter to exploitative forces?

The movie we got instead feels like concessions were made, and it’s a shame. Ending on pan-human brotherhood is obviously the right message, but feels lacking given uh, everything we see in the world.

• Locked thread