Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I like how its always on the onus of the would be liberators to be nice about it. Don't want to disrupt the slow genocide of their people!

Let's not forget all this is in service so they can ask for wakandas help in the next one. More black bodies will die for the sins of arrogant (hyper) white men.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

temple posted:

fyi: doom won bast's approval. pretty good defense imo

Sinding Johansson posted:

I bet in a few years there's going to be a marvel cinematic universe film where the Fantastic Four assemble to battle Doctor Doom and his fiendish plot to take over the world by providing everyone with universal healthcare. Tragically, that will mean denying one poor American boy a hovering wheelchair. He'll be defeated with the help of a plucky Pharma CEO and the five will open an urgent care clinic in Latveria that has like super stretchy bandaids or something.

gently caress there goes my idea for screenplay

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

temple posted:

might doesn't make right
wakanda would be a colonizer, a neoliberal interventionist, and on the hook for a lot more than just resisting oppression.

Might doesn't make right, of course, but it can be used in the service of what's right.

And, buddy, nobody is suggesting that Wakanda should invade America and set up free markets, so I don't know where you're getting this "neoliberal interventionist" poo poo from.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The truth is that Wakanda is a neoliberal interventionist state, executing extralegal intelligence operations on foreign territory, and then at the end conceding to teach kids to code.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

They have unparalleled stealth allowing them to go anywhere and they can't even drop off donations in multiple church boxes.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Sir Kodiak posted:

Might doesn't make right, of course, but it can be used in the service of what's right.

And, buddy, nobody is suggesting that Wakanda should invade America and set up free markets, so I don't know where you're getting this "neoliberal interventionist" poo poo from.
people want wakanda to open its borders. that's next. you will want miraculous healthcare and kimoyo beads. will wakanda provide these things for free? what of the losses they will take in saving the world? who will quarter their soldiers? i don't think you have thought this out.

in the least, shield/starks work for the agencies and countries they defend. what incentive does wakanda have when they stand to benefit nothing? what will the merchant tribe say? how will they get agreement among the citizens?

temple fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 6, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bushisms.txt posted:

They have unparalleled stealth allowing them to go anywhere and they can't even drop off donations in multiple church boxes.

They should drop off They Live glasses at local AME churches.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

temple posted:

people want wakanda to open its borders. that's next. you will want miraculous healthcare and kimoyo beads. will wakanda provide these things for free? what of the losses will they take in saving the world? who will quarter their soldiers? i don't think you have thought this out.

in the least, shield/starks work for the agencies and countries they defend. what incentive does wakanda have when they stand to benefit nothing? what will the merchant tribe say? how will they get agreement among the citizens?

You're trying to argue that a fictional country doesn't need to end oppression because logistics are too hard, this being a movie about a far out sci-fi fantasy wonderland.

Again, you're operating on the basis that Wakanda is a real country and not a fictional storytelling device, and you've internalized the fantasy to the point of creating a comprehensive Wakanda First platform.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

temple posted:

people want wakanda to open its borders. that's next. you will want miraculous healthcare and kimoyo beads. will wakanda provide these things for free? what of they losses they take in saving the world? who will quarter their soldiers? i don't think you have thought this out.

I don't personally need anything from Wakanda, it being fictional and all.

The incentive is moral. I am not going to engage in a philosophical debate with you about why people should behave morally even when they don't benefit from it in this, the Black Panther thread, but there's extensive literature on the subject if you're interested.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

In my fan edit of black panther, the final scene will be replaced by the music video God's Plan by Drake, with the full suited black panther and now living killmonger, handing out bags of cash.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't personally need anything from Wakanda, it being fictional and all.

The incentive is moral. I am not going to engage in a philosophical debate with you about why people should behave morally even when they don't benefit from it in this, the Black Panther thread, but there's extensive literature on the subject if you're interested.

that's the point. this is all fantasy for you and you are disatisfied with the reality of t'challa's decision. you came into the film with your critique all but written and when confronted with the many divergent threads in the movie, you simply go "its just a movie" and reiterate the same points.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

temple posted:

this is all fantasy for you and you are disatisfied with the reality of t'challa's decision.

Black Panther is a fantasy. It's about a wondrous African sci-fi utopia.

The film-makers simply snuffed out the radical potential in the premise, as symbolized by Killmonger, in favour of a liberal-neoliberal ethos.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Black Panther is a fantasy. It's about a wondrous African sci-fi utopia.

The film-makers simply snuffed out the radical potential in the premise, as symbolized by Killmonger, in favour of a liberal-neoliberal ethos.

You say that as if something has been stolen from you. This is what temple has been getting at. The authors are under no obligation to create the movie you think would be ideal.

Saying "it had potential to be a different movie!" can scarcely even be called criticism, it's just saying you personally wanted different things to happen.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

You say that as if something has been stolen from you. This is what temple has been getting at. The authors are under no obligation to create the movie you think would be ideal.

Saying "it had potential to be a different movie!" can scarcely even be called criticism, it's just saying you personally wanted different things to happen.

This is another example of trying to argue "in the negative".

A: "This movie is reactionary. It has some radical potential that is snuffed out."

B: "Well the movie-makers don't need to make a radical movie for you, that's entitlement."

You're trying to justify the movie being reactionary without addressing the fact that it's reactionary, by taking attention away from the movie itself. Criticizing the idea of wanting a hypothetical radical Black Panther movie (lol) justifies the existing reactionary movie.

There is already a radical version of the Black Panther. It's called The Spook Who Sat by the Door.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 6, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

even in a fantasy world, world wide insurrection is implausible. its implausible in reality. what are you criticizing? t'challa didn't lead a pyrrhic victory against the mcu? that's what i'm trying to get you to see. t'challa knew that and if you rewatch the film, several times the issues comes up. t'challa wanted to kill klaue and nakia stopped him. why? t'challa wanted to take klaue from the cia. why didn't he? what was the argument between t'challa and killmonger about in the throne room? its wasn't the challenge because t'challa accepted it against advice. you wanted a different fantasy in a setting that clearly operates by real world politics. you should be happy for that. but instead, you just want something that can't exist without destroying the whole context for the film.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

temple posted:

but instead, you just want something that can't exist without destroying the whole context for the film.

That sounds like a good thing though?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

temple posted:

that's the point. this is all fantasy for you and you are disatisfied with the reality of t'challa's decision. you came into the film with your critique all but written and when confronted with the many divergent threads in the movie, you simply go "its just a movie" and reiterate the same points.

I, of course, have never said "its [sic] just a movie." To the contrary, I'm investing my time in discussing it. I am, of course, discussing it as a movie, because treating Wakanda as a real place would be delusional. And if you think there's "divergent threads" that I'm failing to address, please feel free to bring them up.

temple posted:

a setting that clearly operates by real world politics

I'll give you this, this is pretty funny.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 6, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

temple posted:

people want wakanda to open its borders. that's next. you will want miraculous healthcare and kimoyo beads. will wakanda provide these things for free? what of the losses they will take in saving the world? who will quarter their soldiers? i don't think you have thought this out.

Holy poo poo, Lamps isn't exagerrating. You really are defending the actions of a fictional country as if it's the place and its people being criticised, rather than, you know, the movie.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

This is another example of trying to argue "in the negative".

A: "This movie is reactionary. It has some radical potential that is snuffed out."

B: "Well the movie-makers don't need to make a radical movie for you, that's entitlement."

You're trying to justify the movie being reactionary without addressing the fact that it's reactionary, by taking attention away from the movie itself. Criticizing the idea of wanting a hypothetical radical Black Panther movie (lol) justifies the existing reactionary movie.

There is already a radical version of the Black Panther. It's called The Spook Who Sat by the Door.

"This movie is reactionary" and "it should have been revolutionary" are two different statements, though, and you're conflating them.

Every story has the potential to be radical if you change the story to turn it into a radical one. If that's what you want, write some original stories. I'm coming into this thread to talk about the story as it has been presented, not some hypothetical potential movie. You've externalized Black Panther to the point where there is this idealized version of the film that, to you, tangibly exists, and you're critiquing that. Can we stick to the film that was actually released?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

I, of course, have never said "its [sic] just a movie." To the contrary, I'm investing my time in discussing it. I am, of course, discussing it as a movie, because treating Wakanda as a real place would be delusional. And if you think there's "divergent threads" that I'm failing to address, please feel free to bring them up.
i already did but its cool. t'challa is tony stark. bp is iron man. wakanda is america. oh hey i was wrong, i see what you are you saying now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

XboxPants posted:

"This movie is reactionary" and "it should have been revolutionary" are two different statements, though, and you're conflating them.

Every story has the potential to be radical if you change the story to turn it into a radical one. If that's what you want, write some original stories. I'm coming into this thread to talk about the story as it has been presented, not some hypothetical potential movie. You've externalized Black Panther to the point where there is this idealized version of the film that, to you, tangibly exists, and you're critiquing that. Can we stick to the film that was actually released?

In what sense is it not reactionary? The main journey is an established monarch violently securing his monarchy against an outsider seeking to radically change the status quo.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

temple posted:

i already did but its cool.

If you'd rather quote your original post where you did so instead of retype it, that's fine with me.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

If you'd rather quote your original post where you did so instead of retype it, that's fine with me.

the mcu is filled with heroes from neoliberal oppressive nations. wakanda is an isolationist nation with no involvement in world wide trade. why is wakanda expected to use their wealth, soliders, and resources to oppose the aforementioned nations?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

temple posted:

the mcu is filled with heroes from neoliberal oppressive nations. wakanda is an isolationist nation with no involvement in world wide trade. why is wakanda expected to use their wealth, soliders, and resources to oppose the aforementioned nations?

Sir Kodiak posted:

With great power comes great responsibility

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

You seem to be arguing against the idea of reading a movie, and are trying to turn my mockery of internalizing fantasy around without really knowing what internalizing or externalizing is.

As Zizek showed in that article, you don't need to change the story to make it radical, you just simply have to read it radically by accepting that Killmonger is the distorted hero of the story. The movie is rhetorical, and one simply must recognize the reactionary rhetoric at play and reject it. Killmonger is the true Black Panther, which is obvious despite the numerous evil qualities given to him.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

You seem to be arguing against the idea of reading a movie, and are trying to turn my mockery of internalizing fantasy around without really knowing what internalizing or externalizing is.

As Zizek showed in that article, you don't need to change the story to make it radical, you just simply have to read it radically by accepting that Killmonger is the distorted hero of the story.

Ok in that case I have completely misunderstood you. When you said that the filmmakers had snuffed out the film's radical potential, I got the idea that you, you know, no longer felt the film had any potential for a radical reading.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
What people are missing is that communism is bad, and capitalism is good. But Libertarian techno-anarchy is even better, and that's what T'Challa is actually trying to achieve at the end of the movie.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

:golfclap:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrianWilly posted:

This forum's high-strung attempts to turn "liberal" into an dirty epithet has been pretty edifying to experience.

It's almost as if the state of the nation has changed over the past ten years, or something, almost like a chain of events that made people change their worldview as new events, facts, and evidence came to pass, you know, the thing liberals used to pride themselves on.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 7, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://theoutline.com/post/3704/black-panther-in-china?zd=1&zi=7zbamihw

Article about Black Panther's reception in China, which I thought was interesting in terms of racial and national identity

temple
Jul 29, 2006

its also interesting one of the posters in this thread (28 posts) ate a 30 day-er for saying friend of the family :thunk:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Yes, we are aware that you've been hinting that the people criticizing this movie are racists.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Which is dumb on it's face as people are actually challenging the movie to do more than soft shoe respectability politics.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Steve Yun posted:

Article about Black Panther's reception in China, which I thought was interesting in terms of racial and national identity

Lmfao:

quote:

In my screening, at least, it resulted in its somewhat tepid reception. Yang Yang, who admitted that she prefers more serious films to the superhero genre, says that it wasn’t the plot or cast of Black Panther that kept her from enjoying the film. It was that, without the context of why the movie was made, it felt to her like a hundred other superhero flicks and big-budget Hollywood films. Visually, she said, there were scenes that reminded her of Inception and Avatar.

In fact, Yang Yang felt that, more than anything, the film espoused “the universal values of the United States.” She explained how, at the end of the film, T’Challa had gone from “saving the people of his country” to “exporting technology” to the rest of the world — “much like how the United States operates in global politics.”

Roasted.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've got some news for Yang Yang...we do the Killmonger thing too.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've got some news for Yang Yang...we do the Killmonger thing too.

Our diversity is our strength.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GORDON posted:

Our diversity is our strength.

The sun never sets on the Wakandan Empire...crazy imperial talk! Now let me just take a look at all the locations of our military bases...huh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hope there are more regular features about random Chinese filmgoers doing cynical, pithy critiques of American films. I'd read a hundred of these before I read any more poo poo from some idiot who's on the Oscars committee because her husband golfed with Louis B. Mayer or whatever the gently caress.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Yang-Yang knows what’s up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Steve Yun posted:

This biggest take is the translation was bland and didn’t carry over the jokes

• Locked thread