Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Had a guy getting mad at me (Ironbreaker Dwarf) for not staying in one spot and guarding his back during a big horde defense section. "Every time I looked you were in a different spot! How can I know you've got my back when every time I checked you were somewhere else?" he said to me after he went down the second time. I explained to him that I was splitting time between everyone in the group equally to give everyone support where needed. Apparently I failed as Ironbreaker because this guy wasn't able to completely ignore his surroundings and swing away with little regard to what was going on around him. I expect everyone to have at least some level of spatial awareness and not to expect your own rear end to be protected by your teammates at all times. Watch your own six and keep your head on a swivel because you never know what could be coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

So is it just levels?

Like, say I got my guy to level 30. Is there any incentive to keep playing him for another 200 hours (other than fun, of course)? Is there rare loot, other skills to unlock, etc?

Johnny Joestar posted:

vermintide is primarily a cooperative game where you have fun in running around with people and surviving the poo poo the game throws at you while playing with a neat combat system. if you don't care much for that then i would say to find another game if you primarily want to see numbers go up.

Well, some games combine co-op and RPG aspects, like Destiny 2 did. I'm just trying to understand how much RPG there is in W:V2, or if it's just a L4D with levels?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

pmchem posted:

Well, some games combine co-op and RPG aspects, like Destiny 2 did. I'm just trying to understand how much RPG there is in W:V2, or if it's just a L4D with levels?

More than in the first one, less than would satisfy someone really looking to customize equipment/skills/character like a classic RPG

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

pmchem posted:

So is it just levels?

Like, say I got my guy to level 30. Is there any incentive to keep playing him for another 200 hours (other than fun, of course)? Is there rare loot, other skills to unlock, etc?

the loot thing goes on separately from your levels. it's an entire other thing for sure. even after you get to the mechanical ceiling, though, there's rare drops you can keep shooting for and cosmetics and stuff.

if that's why you're looking to pick up the game though, epic loots, then move right along. it's not going to suit you. you're here for the crunchy feels of smashing a rat's face in. everything else is just tooling for smashing said face.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

if that's why you're looking to pick up the game though, epic loots, then move right along. it's not going to suit you. you're here for the crunchy feels of smashing a rat's face in. everything else is just tooling for smashing said face.

That's really why I played the first game, but some rando yelled at me after a failed mission because I didn't use axe and shield as the dwarf - which apparently you have to do because the dwarf is a tank? Left a sour taste in my mouth.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Game is more and not at all like .

You don't tank in this game by blocking, you tank from pushing.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

enraged_camel posted:

That's really why I played the first game, but some rando yelled at me after a failed mission because I didn't use axe and shield as the dwarf - which apparently you have to do because the dwarf is a tank? Left a sour taste in my mouth.

That's when you roleplay as a stubborn dwarf, who does whatever he wants to. Dealing with assholes in multiplayer games are best treated as a minigame in itself. You can have fun with it since most people are not nearly clever enough to respond in any meaningful way.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How do you kill the skaven warlord on higher difficulties. he's pretty hard.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Just had a game where a bile troll and I played ring around the market stalls because he was SUPER angry at me for smacking him in the face with flaming skulls. Took the rest of my team ages to kill him but we didn't really suffer for it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

There are two stats that matter

--did you win the map? y/n?
--who has the most damage taken, and was therefore the weak link. this'll often be the person who has the most kills because their bloodthirsty positioning is garbage.

Literally every other stat is gadfly and anyone remotely familiar with the first game knows that, so I wouldn't sweat it were I you. Shield controllers are vital for Champ+

Green circle envy is too real though.

oh my god this explains a few things i've seen on the crafting screen....

Yeah this.

I find consistently the person with the highest kills in my group is the person who is always at the front of the line.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I mean, yes. The person in range to get the kills does in fact tend to be the one who gets them.

G E E Z

What exactly does Sienna's two rightclicks on the beamstaff do/work?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

I mean, yes. The person in range to get the kills does in fact tend to be the one who gets them.

G E E Z

right click when you are shooting the beam to pop off a high powered single target burst. right then left is a shotgun with knockback.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
How do you find the class distribution at higher levels? so far I haven't seen any Wizards in my first 10-ish games.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Do I want to start going up on the difficulty levels? I have over 200 hero power and it looks like its capped at 100 while I'm in recruit difficulty, unless I'm reading that wrong.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I moved up to veteran around that time and it hasn't been too bad. maybe I've been lucky but the pubbies seem more competent now. the cap is I believe on the power level of the items that drop.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nigulus Rex posted:

How do you find the class distribution at higher levels? so far I haven't seen any Wizards in my first 10-ish games.

Played a bunch of games with some friends using elf, dwarf, and witchhunter. No one ever joined the party.

Even though the bots suck at picking up tomes and grims, they are good blockers, pushers, and special snipers.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 12, 2018

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I bought this game just now after watching it a bunch on twitch. Integrating that into the game was a very wise move by the devs.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

pmchem posted:

I bought this game just now after watching it a bunch on twitch. Integrating that into the game was a very wise move by the devs.

Yeah, it's smart advertising.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of twitch, any recommended streamer to keep an eye on (besides Lune)?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
so i'm playing an ironbreaker and murdering everything with a one-handed hammer because it plows through drat near anything no problem and staggers what it doesn't, and i'm trying out the drakefire gun, but i'm finding that the drakefire is kind of just okay because you have to have time to charge the long blast which can also get interrupted if you get hit anyway, and most situations you would use drakefire in can be handled by the hammer, if not moreso (you can't take out harder opponents all that fast with the drakefire, and stormvermin dgas) and it's useless for specials. Otherwise, you just use the primary fire bursts for occasional clearing out of poo poo mobs, but I find the grudge raker to be better because it will also clear out stacks of mobs, but also takes out heavier ones just fine and can even special snipe. Am I using the drakefire gun wrong or is there something I'm missing?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Throwing up your shield as the dwarf while a rat gunner impotently fires Gatling rounds at it is metal as gently caress.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

duckfarts posted:

Am I using the drakefire gun wrong or is there something I'm missing?

Using the drakegun you can amass crazy kill counts, ranged counts, lower dmg taken for your entire team, and completely carry games up to veteran ( havent tried on champion yet). The whole goal is to flamethrower down all the weak mobs and stun them in the process. The only thing I saw that could beat it before was a lvl 25+ elf with swiftbow and infinite ammo before the nerf.

You want to charge it if you heard the horde sound start, and charge it up while just running around. If no bad guys show up you can just let go of the right click and drop your heat for free if you never fired. Wait until the horde is right on you to start firing. While firing you want to dodge backwards if they are charging in or side to side to dodge close ones. All you gotta do is tap them to make them flinch and then bake in the flame. You will clear out all the chaff around armored targets making them super weak by themselves for your team. Full charge is great but even half charge you can still stun the chaff for your team. Sometimes the horde pops up fast and you don't always have time for the full charge so even a part way charge will last long enough stun those first rats. The whole goal for you using it to stopping the horde from hurting your buddies. The primary fire of the drakegun is not bad at all either as it hits for more than one tick of the charged attack but you cant use it fast enough against a horde when it happens and it will be less heat efficient.

The last nerf/fix changed two things, you want to charge it fully and they fixed the bug where you always primary fired after doing alt fire.

If you wanna go all in you want to use the drakegun talent, use an orange drakegun with 20% less overheat, and be lvl 20 so you get temp health on kills to vent all red heat. Before level 20 you prob want to use axe and shield so you can fight at red heat well, when you can vent it all you can just run around with a 2 hander.

Don't fall into the drakefire pistol/shield trap all the dwarfs are doing. They run around shooting solo slaves then just hide behind a shield during every horde and barely help. Lowest dmg taken bro, just ignore that my class ignores dmg every 13s. :smug:

rat ogre spawned with plague monks at the end of empire at flames while we were trying for the last tome.

Fat wizard boss crap lvl.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 12, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What determines which map shows up in quick play? We keep getting the same 3 or 4 maps almost all the time and it's dumb.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

uber_stoat posted:

I moved up to veteran around that time and it hasn't been too bad. maybe I've been lucky but the pubbies seem more competent now. the cap is I believe on the power level of the items that drop.

Oh its the items? That's a relief. I thought the game was artificially limiting you so you couldn't become overpowered on easier difficulties. That's nice.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Node posted:

Oh its the items? That's a relief. I thought the game was artificially limiting you so you couldn't become overpowered on easier difficulties. That's nice.

No, that's also still true. On Recruit difficulty if you're higher than 200 hero power it drops you back down to 200 for that map. For Veteran it's 400.

+% Power traits and abilities still trigger, as far as I'm aware.

That said, there's also a cap on the items you can get. Recruit boxes are 100, Veteran coffers are 200, etc.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you're effectively overpowered anyways, because knowing how to deal with higher difficulties translates to not having to worry as much in recruit or whatever

also a note is that the commendation boxes for leveling have no hero power limit on the items inside

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5KBzd_-QQY

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

In the beta I saw something similar to that but without the gunner, our last guy got picked up by the chaos spawn but instead of being eaten the chaos spawn just started making that weird noise and looked like he was humping him.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Yeah, it seems to happen on occasion on a body pile.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Hot drat. As an Ironbreaker, your active ability makes you able to absorb an infinite number of blocks. You can also block while picking people up.

I just picked up all three of my teammates right in a row while tanking a bunch of mobs during the interrupt-the-incantation boss fight, preventing a loss. Nobody kills an Ironbreaker :cheers:

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 12, 2018

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Wow i just played for 5 hrs and it felt like 15 minutes. Very fun

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

You can also block while picking people up.

note that you can always do this and it's recommend that you do as much

i don't know why fatshark doesn't just automatically have it happen when reviving someone, there's literally no situation where you'd be picking a person up and not want to block

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn is the glaive fun.

Is Kruber's arming sword still good?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

G E E Z

I didn't say it was surprising, I was just saying don't take the stats too seriously because they're more indicative of who hit 'W' successfully than anything else.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I can't swap out the second weapon on my slayer. This is super frustrating since it's a very low level pick. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I've tried all the mouse buttons to equip different stuff, equipping with different stuff active, and even restarting my PC

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't know why fatshark doesn't just automatically have it happen when reviving someone, there's literally no situation where you'd be picking a person up and not want to block

It's so powerful that it feels likely to be nerfed. An Ironbreaker using his active ability and blocking can pick up teammates for free in nearly any situation (excepting knockback-through-shielding, I suppose).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

blocking while shielding started out as a bug in vermintide 1 and was left in because fatshark liked it, and i kinda doubt that they'll change the ironbreaker getting free revives when they use their active ability. i mean, hell, the cooldown on it is pretty drat big and i feel it's nice for it to have a neat side benefit in the form of that if you're going to use it.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
If they didn't want vt1 style block-revives to be a thing they wouldn't have given it to handmaiden.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ok so what does dwari mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yeah this just seems like a really dumb trap for people new to the game. The game doesn't tell you that you can block while reviving. I don't know that I ever would have figured it out on my own either. But now that I know, why would I ever not do this.