Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ford released an image of the new Bronco!

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

That's a seriously vertical windshield.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They said they're bringing out 2 all new offroaders. The bronco and a smaller, swoopier one.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/03/15/ford-readies-north-americas-freshest-lineup-by-2020.html

By 2020, they're repacing 75% of their line-up and adding 4 new trucks and SUVs. Obviously being the ranger, bronco, mini bronco, and Mach 1.

They're also saying 6 battery electric vehicles by 2022.

With all the rumors/confirmations, ford is aiming squarely for jeep. longitunal RWD explorer with an ST version to go after the grand cherokee. Bronco to go after the wrangler, and this smaller off roader to go after everything else.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 16, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Pretty curious to see what the Bronco ends up looking like, I dig me some squared-edged 4x4s and new Jeeps are a bit too soft looking.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ooh, there's also this, the shelby GT500

Pretty agressive.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If the Bronco has a removable top and doors then bravo Ford, way to compete with the wrangler.

If not :effort:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If the Bronco has a removable top and doors then bravo Ford, way to compete with the wrangler.

I have zero interest in or need for any kind of off-roader but a Bronco with a removable top would be something I'd want to buy

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Knowing ford they'll use all the left over Lincoln continental sunroofs.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

FBS posted:

I have zero interest in or need for any kind of off-roader but a Bronco with a removable top would be something I'd want to buy

This would make sense, which means the odds of it happening are likely zero. My money is a unibody off road looking vehicle on the Taurus (Non SHO) platform.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BitBasher posted:

This would make sense, which means the odds of it happening are likely zero. My money is a unibody off road looking vehicle on the Taurus (Non SHO) platform.

It'll probably be on CD6, the same as the next explorer which can be longitudinal RWD based.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

A lifted last gen Camaro?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Ford, please prove me wrong. Please make the Bronco not suck.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Watch it be a limp-dicked piece of poo poo like the Renegade.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Powershift posted:

Ooh, there's also this, the shelby GT500

Pretty agressive.

Nice Audi.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

By 2020, they're repacing 75% of their line-up and adding 4 new trucks and SUVs. Obviously being the ranger, bronco, mini bronco, and Mach 1.

When is the new Focus coming out? Or even any details about it? I haven't heard anything and the current one is getting pretty long in the tooth, design-wise.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BloodBag posted:

Watch it be a limp-dicked piece of poo poo like the Renegade.

They are making two off-roaders, so probably one wrangler-copy and one renegade-copy. Also one will probably be built in China or something because Ford's new execs

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CornHolio posted:

When is the new Focus coming out? Or even any details about it? I haven't heard anything and the current one is getting pretty long in the tooth, design-wise.

I've been wondering that myself. I've owned two of them, and I have to say the difference between the transmissions from 2012 to 2017 are vast. The 2012 was a bucking heaving mess, the 2017 is perfect. Now that I've said it I'm sure I'm hosed. After driving a 1995 miata all last week, driving the 2017 focus titanium was such a huge step up comfort-wise. Cars have come a hell of a long way. Also, black interiors own.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Guys there's 2019 Focus spyshots sans camo all over the internet.

2014 Focus ST was the most fun I've had in a car.
My 2018 Audi S4 is Steven Wright on wheels in comparison.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

smooth jazz posted:

Guys there's 2019 Focus spyshots sans camo all over the internet.

Hmmm

I'm...not really liking what I'm seeing. Looks like 'Ford corporate grill' forced on a car not really designed for it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hopefully at least some trim level of the Bronco has a stick option.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Prepare to be disappointed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

lol, you're as delusional as I am

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
looks like Ford will be taking the lead for the most beautifully nihilistic paint color name ever:

Infinite Black

:matters:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mariana Horchata posted:

Infinite Black

So gently caress it, eat at Arby’s.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^hahahah holy gently caress who upgraded your avatar

smooth jazz posted:

My 2018 Audi S4 is Steven Wright on wheels in comparison.

:thunk:

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 16, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hybrid CVT only. They'll pull a CR-Z on you (sans the manual, of course)

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BraveUlysses posted:

^hahahah holy gently caress who upgraded your avatar

No clue who bought this one. Wish they hadn't hosed up on the red text, but otherwise it's incredible.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Hybrid CVT only. They'll pull a CR-Z on you (sans the manual, of course)

:barf:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Mariana Horchata posted:

looks like Ford will be taking the lead for the most beautifully nihilistic paint color name ever:

Infinite Black

Now I want to see a Vantablack painted ford.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

To all of you who live in places where you can keep a black car looking good, I salute you.

I'll never own one again in this grime hole.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

2wd only, base trim.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Automatics are better offroad anyway.

The best offroad vehicle is a regular truck to haul your actual offroad vehicle to the trail.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

2wd only, base trim.

"Gee these manual take rates are terrible, guess no one wants them after all"

See also: new Mazda 6 with the turbo engine, but can only get a stick with the base trim non-turbo model

See also: Impreza, Crosstrek, and Forester that can be had with a stick but not in top trim levels (or turbo model with the FXT)

See also: Golf Alltrack that can be had with a stick but not in top trim level

Some of us want a stick but also don't want the poverty spec stripper model. :(

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 16, 2018

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Guinness posted:

"Gee these manual take rates are terrible, guess no one wants them after all"

See also: new Mazda 6 with the turbo engine, but can only get a stick with the base trim non-turbo model

Mazda cited technical reasons that made pairing the turbo to the stick a no-go.

With enough money I'm sure they could work together, but Mazda clearly didn't see it worth the effort.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mazda cited technical reasons that made pairing the turbo to the stick a no-go.

With enough money I'm sure they could work together, but Mazda clearly didn't see it worth the effort.

What an age we live in. Car companies can pair huge power to what, by all rights, should be a transmission made of glass (8,9,10 speeds behind v8 torque) and yet they can't put it in front of a manual and have it work? Probably couldn't tune the over-run and rev hang bullshit enough to pass emissions.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

BloodBag posted:

What an age we live in. Car companies can pair huge power to what, by all rights, should be a transmission made of glass (8,9,10 speeds behind v8 torque) and yet they can't put it in front of a manual and have it work? Probably couldn't tune the over-run and rev hang bullshit enough to pass emissions.

This plus the insane amount of money it takes to certify the car with both.

The emissions laws have done more to kill the value prop of manual than anything else. The engine and trans work far more closely together in an automatic setup. Also the self driving tech doesn’t play nice with manuals since the engine is more computer controlled.

Honda for example doesn’t include their Honda sensing stuff with any manual they sell which saves you some money as well.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My Golf has automatic cruise control with a manual and it's pretty nice, it holds through shifts as well, press in the clutch, the engine pauses as you change gears and then picks back up again, even works through downshifts as long as you dont hit the brake.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

7/10 would not lease again.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

D C posted:

My Golf has automatic cruise control with a manual and it's pretty nice, it holds through shifts as well, press in the clutch, the engine pauses as you change gears and then picks back up again, even works through downshifts as long as you dont hit the brake.

It's little stuff like this that remind me why VAG has had the best automotive electronics since like the 1980s. Anybody try the latest 2017+ Audi Virtual Cockpit? It's a work of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just as long as you remember to change your taillight coolant.