Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Full disclosure: I'm not in IT, but this is a work + computers story about procrastination and users being users.

For months we've been discussing attending a particular industry event, but never actually taken any action towards that goal. (IE buying tickets, which is a money thing so not my department.) Eventually the vendor deadline passed, so we have to go as regular attendees, which is fine, whatever. Sometime last week we're (the owner and I, aka 2/3 of the business) discussing the event and he actually bothers looking up the date - it's this weekend, and the deadline to buy tickets is tomorrow night.

Sunday night, he texts me as he's attempting to buy them and just getting pissed off: (In his defense, their website is god loving awful to navigate, but it does work)

I shoot a quick email to their contact address, they tell me where to actually go to buy the things, so I tell him:

Which leads us to today, where I (who was not working today) have to drive over there and click on a thing on his laptop for him because he raged out at it and didn't want to.

He gets out his laptop, I go to the website, and there's a big TICKETS SOLD OUT banner. Mother gently caress.

I shoot another email reply to the person, very innocently like "OK I clicked where you said and it says registration closed, I thought we had until tomorrow?" No answer in the ~half hour I stuck around, so I tell him to yell at them if he wants because I have other stuff I have to go and do. He did, and they pretty much blew him off, but way later they actually responded to ME and said since I was legitimately trying to buy last night they'd sell us some anyway. Weekend saved, though I fear he will not learn the object lesson about leaving this poo poo until the last minute.

(I only put this much effort into it because I wanted the free ride to the city it's happening in for the weekend, or I'd have let him tire himself out yelling at them and whatever hotel he'd already reserved)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Aunt Beth posted:

If I had to troubleshoot someone else's script, I'd prefer the foreach. Just helps make the logic that much more legible. If I'm slapping together that I'm going to use once or nobody else will need to see, I'll pass the array.
I prefer foreach loops as well, because it makes it easier to expand the script if you need to run another command on the same list at the same time.

And we're not using punch cards any more, if your script is 100 bytes or 1000 bytes is completely irrelevant, expand those loops for readability.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

And we're not using punch cards any more, if your script is 100 bytes or 1000 bytes is completely irrelevant, expand those loops for readability.

I'm still stuck in this day and age suggesting that since we don't pay by the newline perhaps your functions could have some extra ones in them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thanks Ants posted:

Actually Windows admins install a load of poo poo like LogMeIn or TeamViewer on domain controllers because VPN is :effort:

You mean "loving morons".

I hate "windows admins" but actual windows admins who aren't clueless bastards are alright.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I laughed probably too hard at this:

quote:

Could you please tell me if any of our event spaces have Web-Ex capabilities. I am not even sure I know what it is?

They go on to note they're asking on behalf of a client. But still, "Can we do thing? Btw, what is thing?"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I laughed probably too hard at this:

They go on to note they're asking on behalf of a client. But still, "Can we do thing? Btw, what is thing?"

We deal with this fairly regularly. Someone is coming in to use one of our conference rooms and they have a list of things that they need for their presentation and no-one involved knows what those things are for just that "the presenter said she/he needed this"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Inspector_666 posted:

So the setup of Zabbix continues and I just spent all afternoon elbow deep in SNMP and...I kind of get it now? I made templates for our copier and rack AC unit that loving work and I am unreasonably proud of that.

I even think I can get this setup so that it will automatically order new toner carts when one runs out which would fuckin' own.

And I got Grafana setup and everything using LDAP auth and this is all making me feel dangerously competent. Somebody embarrass me about basic IT knowledge, quick!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

And I got Grafana setup and everything using LDAP auth and this is all making me feel dangerously competent. Somebody embarrass me about basic IT knowledge, quick!

Tell me how you build docker containers through jenkins running on kubernetes without loving up absolutely everything because you're trying to run a docker commands inside of a docker container managed by a resource scheduler.

do not say bind /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Inspector_666 posted:

Did you do it using a service account or a global admin login?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Methanar posted:

Tell me how you build docker containers through jenkins running on kubernetes without loving up absolutely everything because you're trying to run a docker commands inside of a docker container managed by a resource scheduler.

aaaaaah that's better

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Methanar posted:

That's the good poo poo right there. I feel like an idiot but I know its something I don't need to know. Good balance. Well put.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Can anybody suggest a decent call-queue system? I'm part of a 8-man support team supporting a specific software application and when our group can't pick up the phone, it rings to a separate department who takes the caller's info and then sends an email to our group...when somebody goes to call that person back, they reply-all with "got it". This results in like 300 unnecessary emails a day. I think this is an artifact of this being a ~30 person small business.

I think they tried something web based before my time here, but I have no idea what it was or how it worked.

What we need is a system where overflow calls can go into a visible queue, people can claim them and then mark them complete (or they just get removed from the queue). Free or cheap is probably better, if it exists. We use Netsuite for CRM which is the worst but they just signed a multi year contract with Oracle for it so I don't think we're getting rid of it anytime soon. :suicide: Not really worried about metrics or assigning tickets to people from the queue.

suuma fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 28, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ghostlight posted:

Did you do it using a service account or a global admin login?

Service account with no admin rights :cmon:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

suuma posted:

Can anybody suggest a decent call-queue system? I'm part of a 8-man support team supporting a specific software application and when our group can't pick up the phone, it rings to a separate department who takes the caller's info and then sends an email to our group...when somebody goes to call that person back, they reply-all with "got it". This results in like 300 unnecessary emails a day. I think this is an artifact of this being a ~30 person small business.

I think they tried something web based before my time here, but I have no idea what it was or how it worked.

What we need is a system where overflow calls can go into a visible queue, people can claim them and then mark them complete (or they just get removed from the queue). Free or cheap is probably better, if it exists. We use Netsuite for CRM which is the worst but they just signed a multi year contract with Oracle for it so I don't think we're getting rid of it anytime soon. :suicide: Not really worried about metrics or assigning tickets to people from the queue.
Can't the person in the other department just create a support case in NetSuite?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Maybe. I don't know if they even use NS at all.

The support side (my group) of our NS setup was neglected a bit .. I think they were more worried about getting sales/contracts into it and for the most part, what we get is what we get. "There is no more scope"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Methanar posted:

Well you start with a nice drink. Then you bash your head against it for a bit. The you bind /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I work in a legacy industry and my Docker exposure is crap, so... is there a joke buried in there, or is there some good reason why you need to build and deploy containers within Docker instead of without?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I work in a legacy industry and my Docker exposure is crap, so... is there a joke buried in there, or is there some good reason why you need to build and deploy containers within Docker instead of without?

By my reading, Jenkins is in a container and needs to be able to manage the cluster it is a part of, without loving up the kubernetes configuration.

Not how I would do it, but whatever.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

:stare:

I'm currently dealing with the joys and pains of running a system designed to be run in one datacenter out of two datacenters at the same time for HA. The web and application servers don't store state locally, and it was straightforward to get our DB layer stretched across, but the session management doesn't do any sort of replication as far as I can tell, which is a big problem when nobody respects DNS and the whole design hinges on GSLB to keep people coming into a consistent DC for the life of their session. :mad:

I'm going to get dns_haiku.jpg blown up to poster size and hang it in my office.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
have been in this industry since the late 90s and this is the first time I have seen this type of destruction on a usb port

general hogging-out, sure, but never seen that plastic thing cracked in half

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

drukqs posted:

have been in this industry since the late 90s and this is the first time I have seen this type of destruction on a usb port

It's the end result of making it return to 3D space. They are 4D objects after all.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

drukqs posted:

Oh, that's totally from forcing it in upside down.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
For a second I thought that it was two USB ports mounted in two different orientations, and I wanted to applaud such a wonderful troll. Alas.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You' d have to source two different parts with one probably being significantly more expensive to do that.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Oh, that's totally from forcing it in upside down.

I think this is correct. Someone has tried to plug in a USB device and when finding it doesn't quite fit, instead of trying it the other way round, they have just rammed it harder and harder until it fit in the hole (that's what she said etc).

This is why USB-C is so good. It can go in either way. I'm sure a user would still find some way to gently caress it up though.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Among other things, we provide internet to condos in the Florida panhandle where the infrastructure for data is pretty weak. Typically we have a POP with a fiber optic connection and use 5ghz access points to provide a fairly slow connection to the customers, but it's better than nothing.

Ticket comes in about a guy in his condo complaining about slow internet, getting 7.5mbps on a speed test. I look at the account and in our billing what's promised is 12mbps per unit in the condo. There's two dozen or so units.

I do a bandwidth test at the router for the building and it tops out at 20. After asking around the office a bit, it turns out that we started service at this building knowing that we could never deliver what's promised. Sales just wants to always be closing. Okay, not my ticket anymore. You deal with it, Sales.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Zorak of Michigan posted:

We used D-in-D containers in our CI pipeline to have custom build containers that would, in turn, build and push Docker containers. So our build environments would be codified and immutable and could run anywhere in our ECS or k8s clusters away from the actual thing/host that spun off the build. Since we had multiple custom (dumb as poo poo requirements) build envs it was important to keep them separated and documented rather than trying to maintain those dependencies on the CI host itself.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Our ~cloud computing~ provider say single fibre break brought down three datacentres in three different cities including one we use. Nice redundancy guys :waycool:

It happened minutes after I made a change to the VPN so thanks for my soiled pants.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If that was the reason they made up to sound better then I’d hate to know the actual reason.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thanks Ants posted:

If that was the reason they made up to sound better then I’d hate to know the actual reason.

someone replaced the UPS. And there's actually only one datacenter. Not 3.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lol @ local MSP's who offer 'cloud solutions' on their 'private cloud'

Why would I pay MORE to have:
you monkeys manage it
you monkeys host it
you monkeys say "we can't handle that big of a request unless you pay 3 years up front" because you have poo poo capacty

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

They now claim two breaks at separate locations ~200 miles apart. :thunk:

or one break has existed for a while and they didn't get round to fixing it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bitterandtwisted posted:

How the gently caress is fixing a downed fibre path not your immediate priority as an MSP? :psyduck:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
They don't own the fibre, man

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

“Wow. Isn’t it weird that the EXACT SAME ISSUE knocked out two geographically separated data centers that is in no way something we hosed up? What an odd world we live in, HA HA!”

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Finally back up. I had fun reading the angry twitter feed full of variations on "you've lost a customer" and thisisfine.gif

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Among other things, we provide internet to condos in the Florida panhandle where the infrastructure for data is pretty weak. Typically we have a POP with a fiber optic connection and use 5ghz access points to provide a fairly slow connection to the customers, but it's better than nothing.

Ticket comes in about a guy in his condo complaining about slow internet, getting 7.5mbps on a speed test. I look at the account and in our billing what's promised is 12mbps per unit in the condo. There's two dozen or so units.

I do a bandwidth test at the router for the building and it tops out at 20. After asking around the office a bit, it turns out that we started service at this building knowing that we could never deliver what's promised. Sales just wants to always be closing. Okay, not my ticket anymore. You deal with it, Sales.

Slow internet. 7.5mbps. He can blow me. I am on a 3mbps account right now.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Samizdata posted:

Slow internet. 7.5mbps. He can blow me. I am on a 3mbps account right now.

But do you pay for 8?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

bitterandtwisted posted:

This is hitting my twitter feed now. Not a good rep day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The director called me into his office this afternoon and simply handed me a pile of papers. Each one was an email he has received from faculty, staff, and guests that compliment me in some way. There were something like 30 of them.

One of them said something along the lines of “if we expect the technology in this place to be held together with glue, we can’t complain every time our fingers get sticky.”

He then went on to tell me how much he appreciates my work and how much better this place is running under my supervision than the previous three tech coordinators. He said he’s been unfairly judging me based on their performance and he’s let his preconceived notions get the better of him. He said I’m doing an outstanding job and apologized for all the times he’s lost his temper. He revealed that his major focus this next year is to secure funding to reopen my assistant position.

Now I get a four day weekend for Easter.

It was a pretty good day I guess.