Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah i think people forget that the US emulates typical South/Central American racism where the dumb 'Im not racist, but' sector of whites absolutely distrusts mestizos and mullatos. So their friend the equally racist White Latino is just adding a little cultural spice with their Thai/Peruvian fusion place or whatever

im pretty pumped that ancestrydna told me i'm 3% iberian so i can now be a white latino and claim a culture i have zero connection to.

also i guess the best way to fight gentrification is to move somewhere that was built with restrictive covenants against any non caucasian so as to never displace anyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

mastershakeman posted:

im pretty pumped that ancestrydna told me i'm 3% iberian so i can now be a white latino and claim a culture i have zero connection to.

also i guess the best way to fight gentrification is to move somewhere that was built with restrictive covenants against any non caucasian so as to never displace anyone else

By the act of moving to another place you're committing white flight.

Checkmate, white boy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Retromancer posted:

By the act of moving to another place you're committing white flight.

Checkmate, white boy.

yeah but white flight is morally superior to gentrification

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

classy.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

mastershakeman posted:

yeah but white flight is morally superior to gentrification

yeah but killing yourself is morally superior to white flight.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

gentrification is a somewhat complicated subject and the blame for driving out the locals is ill-targeted on the slightly richer person moving in. the blame lies on the slumlords and politicians who had no intention of cultivating a neighborhood to begin with. they sellout as soon as the offer is large enough, then you have good old capitalism appealing to the lowest common denominator, and the neighborhood becomes McMansions. new people move in because their only other option is to not move to the city at all.

tl;dr gentrification is easy to avoid, and is arguable one of the specific tasks a city council
should address, but the gormless officials are typically not interested in making things better for everyone, preferring instead to make things better for themselves.

understand what the rentier class is, and support policies that undermine them, first and foremost. ignorant people with sophomoric ideas of what gentrification actually is aren’t the appropriate target.

city councils don't give a gently caress about poor people, tho

government by the rich, for the rich

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

city councils don't give a gently caress about poor people, tho

government by the rich, for the rich

yeah that's his point you should be blaming the inaction of the local government and the slumlords that take advantage of this

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah that's his point you should be blaming the inaction of the local government and the slumlords that take advantage of this

it looks to me like he's saying we should blame the slumlords for selling their properties to rich people instead of poor people. that's why he called them sellouts

i'm not really sure what policy you'd put in place to prevent that, short of communism and rent controls

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tax credits for rent seekers (nationalize housing)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
rent control and blocking developments based on tier of housing, so instead of "No you can't build a 5 story building," it's "No, you can't build 5 stories of luxury condos, but 5 stories of median rent is okay." Of course that would require a city to say 'no' to higher tax revenue from the luxury condo building.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

i'm not really sure what policy you'd put in place to prevent that, short of communism and rent controls

creating walkable communities via zoning for increased density and availability of pedestrian facilities such as sidewalks and pedestrian signals and amenities such as parks as well as providing and supporting other non-car modes of transportation such as public transit - the "urban villages" concept of planning is an attempt to address this

rent controls are also good but aren't anywhere close to enough on their own, if they're proposed in isolation to other policy

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

tax credits for rent seekers (nationalize housing)

*points to earth* "nationalized"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zeal posted:

so you're a gentrifier, huh

Nah, I refuse to pay over market rate for places I live, even if they are "up-and-coming." Additionally I'll never be rich enough to gentrify anything. But if I ever did get that rich, I would buy carriage house, and do something highly unusual, I would just live in it. Not turn it into "an investment" or whatever dumb poo poo people do to ruin the neighborhood.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Coolness Averted posted:

rent control and blocking developments based on tier of housing, so instead of "No you can't build a 5 story building," it's "No, you can't build 5 stories of luxury condos, but 5 stories of median rent is okay." Of course that would require a city to say 'no' to higher tax revenue from the luxury condo building.

I'm also not convinced that they get higher tax revenue in the first place. At least in NYC luxury condo's usually don't have to pay taxes for decades. The most expensive residential building ever built (432 park) has a tax abatement worth hundreds of millions because of crony-capitalism.

http://gothamist.com/2013/07/14/exemption_gives_rich_people_obscene.php

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
yeah, it's not the tax revenue the city is going for there, it's the hefty bribes the developer is paying out

doesn't matter, though, because the bigger point is that the city loving hates the poor people and wishes they were gone. they loving love attracting wealthy white people and chasing out the minorities. that's why the city actively helps to do things like chase out the homeless people. the city wants to attract wealthy whites because they think a rich white neighborhood is superior and a poor black neighborhood is trash. institutional racism, etc. that kinda mindset is deep in local governments, and the mayor is ultimately the ally of ambitious real estate developers first and the white professional class second, while they regard the poor people who are getting gentrified out as a mere nuisance

like, the ultimate problem is the same as anywhere else: American institutions believe that poor non-whites are essentially non-human, and vastly prefer and privilege the wealthy whites who dominate every single power structure anyway

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Too drat high

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gentrification is also helped along by the myth that "a rising tide lifts all boats." For example, one might think that a bunch of wealthier white people moving into a poor area and leading to it getting fixed up would be good for the people who already live there and for the local businesses. But the problem is that those wealthier white people aren't patronizing those local businesses. They're going to the new, "trendy" places opened up by white people like them, they're doing all their shopping outside the neighborhood, all of that--most of the money they spend isn't supporting the people who lived in the neighborhood before them. So as rent goes up and more of the poorer non-white residents move out, the local businesses that used to be supported by those residents close because the new, white residents aren't going there.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I’ve talked to many guillotine worthy folks who own investment property and prefer lower income renters to high income cause they can up the volume like buying quad units instead of duplex’s. (And poor tenants are obviously easier to gently caress over)

If tax revenue was the goal you’d probably do better building a large tenement of affordable housing and make up the revenue in volume, but have fun selling “1,000 poors are gonna move in to the neighborhood”’to the city council.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
apparently gaming the market value compensation for section 8 housing can be lucrative but my understanding is that it requires both ongoing competent management and a large initial capital outlay that together makes luxury construction more feasible

expanding section 8 would likely quickly reverse this trend

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Why is this thread dead

https://twitter.com/ekingc/status/980226144007081985?s=19

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Needs a Reskin with CEOs, bank execs and Kardashian type socialites

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guillotine is a real fuckin good game

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

hmmmmm yes, would you say that you are a social liberal and fiscal conservative??

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wheeee posted:

hmmmmm yes, would you say that you are a social liberal and fiscal conservative??

No.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Crony capitalism is a term coined by smart assholes to condition stupid assholes to not question the underlying structure of capitalism, it doesn't actually mean anything

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wheeee posted:

Crony capitalism is a term coined by smart assholes to condition stupid assholes to not question the underlying structure of capitalism, it doesn't actually mean anything

It is literally exactly what cuomo is doing and bloomberg did with new york city housing development. It doesn't paint the underlying system in a positive light at all.

quote:

Crony capitalism is a term describing an economy in which success in business depends on close relationships between business people and government officials. It may be exhibited by favoritism in the distribution of legal permits, government grants, special tax breaks, or other forms of state interventionism.

:thunk:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lollontee posted:

If you make an effort once in a while, i guess
lol later on in the thread someone asked OP if he's a sociopath. His response:

seatlegentrifier posted:

Unknown. I haven't been diagnosed, if that's what you're asking. But empathy is over-emphasized as a positive quality.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Guillotine is a real fuckin good game
Can confirm, Guillotine is a great game.

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 09:04 on Apr 3, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It is literally exactly what cuomo is doing and bloomberg did with new york city housing development. It doesn't paint the underlying system in a positive light at all.

that's just plain capitalism

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

all women should work out so they can slam their legs shut like a bear trap to crush rapists

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

perhaps something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZwYadmgPw

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Krankenstyle posted:

that's just plain capitalism

I think the legal term we use is "corruption", but yes that's basically capitalism.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

That's literally just the logical endpoint of networking. "Crony capitalism" implies the person who orchestrated the deal or whatever didn't follow the rules of the system. What Cuomo and Bloomberg did (along with anyone else who gets accused of engaging in crony capitalism) was them being good capitalists.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

MizPiz posted:

That's literally just the logical endpoint of networking. "Crony capitalism" implies the person who orchestrated the deal or whatever didn't follow the rules of the system. What Cuomo and Bloomberg did (along with anyone else who gets accused of engaging in crony capitalism) was them being good capitalists.

Couldn't you define "pure capitalism" as always going with the choice that can be justified on basis of pure economical analysis of the situation ( something like deal {A involving resources i,j,k and capital exchenge x} versus deal {B involving l,m,n and capital exchange y}, chose one) and anything that looks beyond the enumerable, quantifiable variables and starts working with fuzzy non-transactional poo poo like "I'm gonna choose this guy over the rest because it will bolster my political position even if they don't have to explicitly bribe me" is already defying the basic principle even if not to an illegal degree?

What about stuff like cartels and crushing competition with dumping prices and whatnot; is that good capitalism or is it not?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Teal posted:

Couldn't you define "pure capitalism" as always going with the choice that can be justified on basis of pure economical analysis of the situation ( something like deal {A involving resources i,j,k and capital exchenge x} versus deal {B involving l,m,n and capital exchange y}, chose one) and anything that looks beyond the enumerable, quantifiable variables and starts working with fuzzy non-transactional poo poo like "I'm gonna choose this guy over the rest because it will bolster my political position even if they don't have to explicitly bribe me" is already defying the basic principle even if not to an illegal degree?

What about stuff like cartels and crushing competition with dumping prices and whatnot; is that good capitalism or is it not?

Yes, I would. Just because it's technically an illegal market doesn't mean it doesn't abide by the same forces and motivations as the legal market. The only difference between criminal organizations and the likes of Wall Street or Silicon Valley is that the latter have created a convoluted social and legal framework that makes whatever they want to do technically legal (also they don't personally torture their enemies to death).

Edit: Lol, just got what you're trying to say in that first part. You are aware that "markets" and "trade" existed well before capitalism and will almost certainly exist after whatever replaced it is replaced?

MizPiz has issued a correction as of 15:01 on Apr 3, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

MizPiz posted:

Edit: Lol, just got what you're trying to say in that first part. You are aware that "markets" and "trade" existed well before capitalism and will almost certainly exist after whatever replaced it is replaced?

Of course they did but what I'm wondering is if personal favoritism and other various practices that defy the basic formula do count as part of capitalism as a term or are external phenomena that influence it but aren't part of the definition, if it makes sense?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Please define "pure economical analysis" for us and see how far you get.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Minge Binge posted:

Please define "pure economical analysis" for us and see how far you get.

Okay again this is pretty much pure semantics in my head; my point is: for "crony capitalism" to make sense that's not just "capitalism" I need to have it clarified what if really these parts are just accepted as part of the original deal. If they are then great, sure, it's nonsense and the new term is unnecessary (and possibly loaded?) but I guess I'm asking what exactly does the word "capitalism" include on its own, because I don't know.

Let me be clear I'm literally just asking for clarification, I don't mean to imply I know anything.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Teal posted:

but I guess I'm asking what exactly does the word "capitalism" include on its own, because I don't know.

among other things “capitalism” includes capitalists using state power to pursue their class interests

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Crony Capitalism is worth defining on it's own as a subset of capitalism because it demonstrates a failure in government systems that are supposed to be "fair." I.e. If a government needs to build highways, those contracts are supposed to be available to the public at large to bid on and potentially secure on an even playing field for all bidders. Crony Capitalism ensures that is never the case. It's a much more insidious and harmful application of capitalism.

Regardless, the Crony Capitalists and especially the elected officials that enable them will obviously be put to the guillotine all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Capitalism with Crony Characteristics