Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

they did actually have one guy who was behind all the really interesting lore poo poo for elder scrolls, but I think he stopped being involved around the time of oblivion because their stock fantasy setting for oblivion poo poo on a lot of the lore he'd worked on. morrowind and daggerfall had really unified consistent lore poo poo that was weird as hell, but it fell apart for oblivion. skyrim seems like it tried to claw some stuff back, but they still compromised on things in a really weird lovely way.

He still consults on things in ESO, IIRC. All big fantasy franchises need a crazy person like Kirkbride though. The man wrote the Morrowind install CD into the lore, for god's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Do you get different rewards based on who you help? or is it purely an aesthetic choice? I'd rather let the Operators (they seem pretty suave) and the Pack (they like bright colors and animals, I can relate) live a bit longer and kill the Disciples (these guys freak me the gently caress out) off first. But this can change if I get better stuff killing someone else (before killing them all that is).

After you defeat the gang that betrays you, you'll get a perk and a legendary weapon from the two remaining gangs:
-Disciples will give you an instigating disciples blade and a perk where melee kills restore AP.
-Operators will give you a relentless handmade rifle and a perk that buffs stealth and silenced weapon damage.
-Pack give you a furious baseball bat and a perk that buffs DR and melee/unarmed damage.

So, you can pick which of those three options you like the least and just not give any territory to that gang. If you aren't big on stabbing people in the face, then go ahead and ignore the Disciples. If you were Min/Maxing a melee character though, it would make more sense kill off the Operators.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 10, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

im not saying hes a good prose author, but he did produce one of the best fantasy universes of recent years in morrowind.

Morrowind, much like Oblivion and Skyrim are all based on Daggerfall and Arena. Like, iirc they added almost zero new lore books to Morrowind. And Kirkbride didn't come on until Redguard. So no, you're thinking of Ted Peterson and Julian Lefay. Kirkbride literally does TES fanfiction.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Giga Gaia posted:

He still consults on things in ESO, IIRC. All big fantasy franchises need a crazy person like Kirkbride though. The man wrote the Morrowind install CD into the lore, for god's sake.

the thing is getting an entire team, not to rely on the maniac on the middle as the saying goes - if Kirkbride was the pitcher of crazy working with a team of core writers and two editors, he probably wouldn't need to lock himself up in a room with as much alcohol as possible to bang ten pages of WE ARE ONE AS WE ARE YOU AND NONE IS ALL AND ALL IS I FOR I IS WE AND EVERYTHING IS ONE

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Kirkbride was also one of the concept artists for Morrowind. That and the 36 Lessons of Vivec were his biggest contributions, I think? We have a Morrowind thread, if you'd care to discuss Kirkbride's importance/quality or lack thereof. It's a perennial topic.

Any one who think's Trejo's performance is bad is just flat out wrong, the deadpan way he's delivering the lines perfectly fits the character.
I didn't realize anyone thought Trejo's performance had problems. :psyduck: He's a tired old man who's just hanging out.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/983429344352759810

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
my big problem with the gangs is I am a fan of all their collective aesthetics.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I wish Kris Kristofferson had more than his 30 minutes of straight dialogue, because I sure did sit there and listen to all his stories and was disappointed when there was nothing else to talk about and I had to listen to him once last time before he shot himself. It's the right thing to do probably but I sure don't feel good about it when I do it. I don't think I've ever let him carry on.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Do you get different rewards based on who you help? or is it purely an aesthetic choice? I'd rather let the Operators (they seem pretty suave) and the Pack (they like bright colors and animals, I can relate) live a bit longer and kill the Disciples (these guys freak me the gently caress out) off first. But this can change if I get better stuff killing someone else (before killing them all that is).

You made the right choice; the Disciples actually have the shittiest rewards on top of being creepy and weird. The Pack and Operator perks are just insane. You can only get two of the gangs' rewards and the Disciples ones just suck.

You are also correct to murder the rest of them.

frajaq posted:

Because they said as much (from interviews with Todd and comments by Pete Hines) that they consider the Fallout IP as their playground where "anything goes"

They really don't have a ton of consistency with the Elder Scrolls either. Like the basics are basically always there but the world became significantly less insane after Morrowind. Cyrodiil was supposed to be extremely thickly wooded; actually a jungle in some places. The trees also weren't just trees either. Green Emperor Way was supposed to be where the souls of emperors went when they died. They inhabited trees and advised new emperors. Or something like that...in any event one of the things that made Morrowind so cool was how utterly alien the world ultimately was.

I mean hey crazy, ancient wizards that live in big rear end mushrooms, people worshipping decaying, mortal "gods" that were never gods at all and literally stole their power, dwarves that were actually elves that just kind of up and vanished one day and nobody knew just what the gently caress, literal demon ruins dotting the landscape that people used as landmarks to give each other directions... Other than stuff like the Daedra showing up Oblivion and Skyrim were just generic fantasy worlds, really. The Mythic Dawn kind of sort of were crazy but were just nowhere near the absolute madness of what happened in Morrowind. Even the Shivering Isles weren't really all that weird.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Nasgate posted:

Morrowind, much like Oblivion and Skyrim are all based on Daggerfall and Arena. Like, iirc they added almost zero new lore books to Morrowind. And Kirkbride didn't come on until Redguard. So no, you're thinking of Ted Peterson and Julian Lefay. Kirkbride literally does TES fanfiction.

idk man wasnt all the vivec poo poo kirkbride? thats the poo poo i do like.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

!!!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nasgate posted:

Looking at what he wrote on the Elder Scrolls Wiki, he wrote a lot of stuff for Morrowind. At least 36 things.

The ending of the words is A L M V I S I

idk man wasnt all the vivec poo poo kirkbride? thats the poo poo i do like.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Michael_Kirkbride

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vavrek posted:

I didn't realize anyone thought Trejo's performance had problems. :psyduck: He's a tired old man who's just hanging out.

Me Either until I read it in this thread, I loved Trejo's performance in New Vegas. He's a perfect fit for the character and the world.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You made the right choice; the Disciples actually have the shittiest rewards on top of being creepy and weird. The Pack and Operator perks are just insane. You can only get two of the gangs' rewards and the Disciples ones just suck.

You are also correct to murder the rest of them.

Good to know my insincts were correct here.

Also, Porter Gage's backstory is giving me a real guilt trip: It's all about how he was betrayed by a boss he trusted and then never trusted anyone again until he met me, who unbeknownst to him is fully intending to betray and murder him.

Gage is a pretty great character: he's clearly a lovely person with no desire to change his ways or improve himself, but he's charming and laid back enough that you can't help but like the guy. Evil, but not cartoonishly evil or unlikable.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Me Either until I read it in this thread, I loved Trejo's performance in New Vegas. He's a perfect fit for the character and the world.

Good to know my insincts were correct here.

Also, Porter Gage's backstory is giving me a real guilt trip: It's all about how he was betrayed by a boss he trusted and then never trusted anyone again until he met me, who unbeknownst to him is fully intending to betray and murder him.

Gage is a pretty great character: he's clearly a lovely person with no desire to change his ways or improve himself, but he's charming and laid back enough that you can't help but like the guy. Evil, but not cartoonishly evil or unlikable.

Eh, I couldn't feel the least bit guilty about eventually betraying him. He was originally a farmer until his farm got raided when he was in his early teens (or 12 or something? Young either way) and decided "there's predators and prey and gently caress you I'm gonna be a predator!" He was a raider from then on out. No remorse or anything and then later says that he'd rather be the hidden influence than the leader. He likes being second in command because he can yank on the strings and direct things but never get the blame. Nuka World was basically his brain child and he set up Colter as the leader on purpose. Once everybody started to question the whole gig as it wasn't going too great Gage set up Colter to take the fall even though it was entirely Gage's doing in the first place.

Gage is an immoral, self-serving sociopath that would have sold the player out at the drop of a hat if it ever suited him to do so. He's a calculating manipulator that cares only for himself. Really the fact that they managed to do that properly makes him a pretty good character. He's a raider through and through. He's extremely slow to trust because he knows how raiders think and they'll dick over anybody at any time if there's enough caps in it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

of course it wouldn't be a bethesda game full experience if after three hours setting up and packing your mods, new vegas simply dies at load

and of course I tried to keep as minimal as possible but then pretty shaders are a must and then nevada skies and why not character overhaul and oh the texture pack is needed and

*breathes deeply*

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

grobbo posted:

I think what makes Perry’s performance stand out noticeably is that the character is just so specifically written in a way that his line-reading just doesn’t get on board with.

For instance, people have been citing Trejo as another bad performance, but it is at least a tired and disinterested reading of a perpetually tired and disinterested character.

Whereas Benny is a slick, ruthless, wise-cracking smartass who just happens to sound like a baffled actor in a sound booth who’s too busy getting his head around the speech tics and idioms to display any emotion, whether he’s meant to be coldly ordering subordinates to clean up a bloodied apartment or frantically begging not to be crucified.

Hate is a strong word, but he definitely stands out.

I thought Perry did fine, but I don't care enough to try and defend him, but Trejo was my favorite part of New Vegas and I will fight anyone who says he's bad. I still occasionally listen to Black Mountain radio.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eh, I couldn't feel the least bit guilty about eventually betraying him. He was originally a farmer until his farm got raided when he was in his early teens (or 12 or something? Young either way) and decided "there's predators and prey and gently caress you I'm gonna be a predator!" He was a raider from then on out. No remorse or anything and then later says that he'd rather be the hidden influence than the leader. He likes being second in command because he can yank on the strings and direct things but never get the blame. Nuka World was basically his brain child and he set up Colter as the leader on purpose. Once everybody started to question the whole gig as it wasn't going too great Gage set up Colter to take the fall even though it was entirely Gage's doing in the first place.

Gage is an immoral, self-serving sociopath that would have sold the player out at the drop of a hat if it ever suited him to do so. He's a calculating manipulator that cares only for himself. Really the fact that they managed to do that properly makes him a pretty good character. He's a raider through and through. He's extremely slow to trust because he knows how raiders think and they'll dick over anybody at any time if there's enough caps in it.

I mean, nothing you're saying is wrong, but I still like the guy. Doesn't mean I won't kill him, doesn't mean I don't think he deserves to be killed (the game makes it clear he's been doing many bad things for a very long time), but I still kind of wish it wasn't that way.

I don't think he's a total sociopath either. I think, maybe, if he had grown up differently, seen good triumph over evil more often or met some people he could actually trust a little earlier, he might not have ended up being what he is. But he didn't, and now he's old and set in his ways and won't ever change and Imma gunna have to put a bullet in his brain.

Also, does anyone else find it weird that he's romance-able? There are five romance-able guys in this game, but only three romance-able girls, what's up with that?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 10, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Nasgate posted:

redguard+morrowind (especially the Pocket Guide to the Empire Vol. 1) are actually considered the "beginning" of what most people think of TES now actually

arena and daggerfall had a lot of the bits that would go on to get fleshed out (race, province names, most of the aedra/daedra ended up being established in them though not generally as they were re-imagined as in TES3) but other that it was just a lot of kind of homebrew D&D stuff

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, all of the elder scrolls just reads like they converted some guy's old D&D campaign. "I wanna play a cat boy" "OK, you can play a cat boy" "Where are cat boys from" "Er... they're from... elsewhere?"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

eating only apples posted:

I wish Kris Kristofferson had more than his 30 minutes of straight dialogue, because I sure did sit there and listen to all his stories and was disappointed when there was nothing else to talk about and I had to listen to him once last time before he shot himself. It's the right thing to do probably but I sure don't feel good about it when I do it. I don't think I've ever let him carry on.

You know there's a third option, right?

Kill Caesar, and you can convince him the war's winnable, make him give up without blowing his brains out.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Gort posted:

Yeah, all of the elder scrolls just reads like they converted some guy's old D&D campaign. "I wanna play a cat boy" "OK, you can play a cat boy" "Where are cat boys from" "Er... they're from... elsewhere?"

it certainly took them a really long loving time to make their elves distinguish a bit

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

dead comedy forums posted:

of course it wouldn't be a bethesda game full experience if after three hours setting up and packing your mods, new vegas simply dies at load

and of course I tried to keep as minimal as possible but then pretty shaders are a must and then nevada skies and why not character overhaul and oh the texture pack is needed and

*breathes deeply*

"Ahh all the mods are ready let's get playing" *20 minutes pass* "drat i forgot [mod]"

"Ok i have my stimpacks,my bottlecaps,best armour, let's get going" *gets to destination* "for gently caress sake! i forgot [item]"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"Ok i have my stimpacks,my bottlecaps,best armour, let's get going" *gets to destination* "for gently caress sake! i forgot [item]"

This happens all the time in any Bethesda-style RPG where I have a home base to store everything. I've played them so much that I add some extra challenge and lengthen the game by having my character actually sleep every night, which usually means offloading all my junk before bed. And I'll inevitably forget to do something like grab my helmet or my stimpacks before running out.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Gort posted:

You know they did, right? It was converted from a DnD campaign.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cantorsdust posted:

Oh, I wasn't aware. Is there more on this somewhere?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Kill Caesar, and you can convince him the war's winnable, make him give up without blowing his brains out.

Okay, but do I still get his gun?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cantorsdust posted:

I think JE Sawyer (ropekid is his username here) said that New Vegas also started like this. It was a Fallout tabletop game the former developers were playing, and when Obsidian got the opportunity to make another Fallout game they just turned the basic skeleton into the game and made the player characters into companions. I think Arcade was Sawyer's character.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nasgate posted:

Okay, but do I still get his gun?

Just call in a Ranger squad on the radio and let the deathclaws eat them.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Gort posted:

Oh, I wasn't aware. Is there more on this somewhere?

https://web.archive.org/web/20070509175304/http://www.elderscrolls.com/tenth_anniv/tenth_anniv-arena.htm

quote:

Arena started, as the name might suggest, as a medieval-style gladiator game. You had a team of fighters and went around the world fighting other teams in each city's arena until you became grand champion in the Imperial City.

The world used for Arena was Tamriel, the fantasy world created by a few members of the staff for use in their weekly D&D campaign. During development of Arena, more and more RPG elements were added -- what if you could walk around these cities? What if you could take your team into a dungeon? And soon it was clear what Arena needed to be -- a full-blown RPG.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

chiasaur11 posted:

Holy poo poo!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

He gets different ending slides, too; one of them he becomes a senator by campaigning against Oliver and Kimball's horseshit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can also tell Hanlon that Caesar has a tumour once you find that out and he realizes his waiting campaign might not need to wait much longer.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's a shame removing Caesar's tumor requires doing a lot of Legion quests, because IMO the best Mojave end-state would be Caesar surviving, Legate Lanius dying, New Vegas kept independent but not under House.

Caesar heads back to Arizona and keeps the peace there, Lanius isn't around to take over when Caesar dies of old age, NCR isn't devastated nor granted a martyr by Kimball dying, NCR war effort is curbed which kills Kimballs attempt to draw attention away from corruption, and New Vegas remains a demilitarized checkpoint between all comers.

I do like that saving Caesar requires nine luck though, it's the writer outright telling you "this is an abnormal deviation from the realistic outcome for this story, but if that's really what you want..."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

It's a shame removing Caesar's tumor requires doing a lot of Legion quests, because IMO the best Mojave end-state would be Caesar surviving, Legate Lanius dying, New Vegas kept independent but not under House.

Caesar heads back to Arizona and keeps the peace there, Lanius isn't around to take over when Caesar dies of old age, NCR isn't devastated nor granted a martyr by Kimball dying, NCR war effort is curbed which kills Kimballs attempt to draw attention away from corruption, and New Vegas remains a demilitarized checkpoint between all comers.

I do like that saving Caesar requires nine luck though, it's the writer outright telling you "this is an abnormal deviation from the realistic outcome for this story, but if that's really what you want..."

You can still save Caesar legitimately with medical skill. They just also let you do it if you’re obscenely lucky.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

You can still save Caesar legitimately with medical skill. They just also let you do it if you’re obscenely lucky.

Derp, I remembered it as requiring both.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

Who are you to doubt Mr. House? :colbert:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, you can get Hanlon's good Senator ending by letting him live and helping out House/going independent.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I mean, nothing you're saying is wrong, but I still like the guy. Doesn't mean I won't kill him, doesn't mean I don't think he deserves to be killed (the game makes it clear he's been doing many bad things for a very long time), but I still kind of wish it wasn't that way.

I don't think he's a total sociopath either. I think, maybe, if he had grown up differently, seen good triumph over evil more often or met some people he could actually trust a little earlier, he might not have ended up being what he is. But he didn't, and now he's old and set in his ways and won't ever change and Imma gunna have to put a bullet in his brain.

Also, does anyone else find it weird that he's romance-able? There are five romance-able guys in this game, but only three romance-able girls, what's up with that?

I found myself liking him too, to be honest. That's why I think he's a well-written sociopath. Video game monsters like that tend to be bloodthirsty madmen who choose the least moral option in every situation by default. If he went by video game sociopath logic he would have tried to fight the people that screwed him over and probably died in the process.

Real sociopaths generally act more or less like Gage. As much as he wanted revenge he realized it wouldn't happen so he just shrugged and left it at that. When he's talking to you before and after the Gauntlet he sounds like he just wants to help you out of this terrible situation you're in even though it's entirely his fault you're there in the first place. Then he uses you to get the heat off of him, get rid of Colter, and set himself up to be second in command to a badass raider lord with a mountain of caps. He's your pal as long as you're useful. Even then you're still a tool for his means and nothing else.

I kind of wonder if he was written that way on purpose or if it was purely accidental. Despite being a hideous monster he actually is pretty likable. The way he talks makes him sound almost safe to be around.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im really torn on which raider groups to help out most in nuka world. i know the disciples give the worst rewards, but they're also cooler looking than the other two. the pack are ok, but the operators are so friggin corny. they looked rad from a distance, but they wear pinstripe suits with metal armour with friggin metal bowties welded on. its so bad.

i've always disliked that really corny element of fallout. people clown on bethesda a lot about it, but man, fallout 2 was corny as hell too. so was new vegas in a lot of ways, as much as I love it.

20s gangster poo poo, talking deathclaws, stuff that bugged me at the time but i cant remember while writing this friggin post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Talking deathclaws were the best and in my canon they're still running Vault 13