Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I got my New 3DS XL and what did I play today.... uhhh... Excitebike. like drat I'm relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Trackmania is basically Excitebike and it makes me really happy

i've been building tracks just to race around on and it owns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The opening of the evil within is so lame I may not play any more of it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every time this game cuts everything in the world has to load in textures but sometimes the cuts are so rapid the load doesn't finish so you just see squares and blobs. It's so ugly

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That doesn't sound normal

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

That doesn't sound normal

No, that sounds incredibly normal to me, TEW1 has a hell of a time trying to keep up with its own camera cuts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's the PS4 version so it can't be broken or anything. It looks like classic UE3 texture crap but wildly unoptimized.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I do like this weird widescreen letterboxing because it's a aspect ratio I've never really seen and coupled with how close the camera is behind the main guy it feels very claustrophobic

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In Training posted:

It's the PS4 version so it can't be broken or anything. It looks like classic UE3 texture crap but wildly unoptimized.

If the game is installed on an external usb drive, see if it works better if you move it to the internal.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

That doesn't seem too bad, but I paid 200 for a New Nintendo 3DS XL, and some later games only work on the "New" models.

It’s only like 2 games where the new3ds is mandatory (xenoblade and binding of isaac), other than the snes classics.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

No, that sounds incredibly normal to me, TEW1 has a hell of a time trying to keep up with its own camera cuts.

Guess I just didn't notice then. Or forgot

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh man I can relate :blush:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

precision posted:

picking up a console at the end of its lifespan is actually an incredibly pro gamer strat and i wish i had the restraint to constantly be one generation behind. i'd be playing Yakuza 3 right now with the knowledge that i have like 10 more Yakuza games to play later

The trick is to be poor enough to only be able to buy a console when the next generation comes out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think TEW sucks balls. WHy does the movement and shooting feel so lovely. Why is your move speed so slow. Why do you need to have one billion skill trees. Why can you only sprint for 2.5 seconds and then recover for 5. Why is the framerate so bad. Why do the enemies look so dumb. SO many questions.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I think TEW sucks balls. WHy does the movement and shooting feel so lovely. Why is your move speed so slow. Why do you need to have one billion skill trees. Why can you only sprint for 2.5 seconds and then recover for 5. Why is the framerate so bad. Why do the enemies look so dumb. SO many questions.

The sequel is much better but still controls like rear end. Wanna play unist?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

The sequel is much better but still controls like rear end. Wanna play unist?

Yeah but its already too late for me. I'll play some tomorrow

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/YakuzaNoContext is a good follow

https://twitter.com/YakuzaNoContext/status/980879581354872832

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The console versions of TEW are poorly optimized and it's unfortunate it never got a "fixed edition" because it existed in that halfway point between last gen and this one.

Also what's with these knocks on the controls, it controls like every other third person shooter that's not an outright action game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I found the PS4 version of TEW perfectly playable and good :shrug:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

precision posted:

picking up a console at the end of its lifespan is actually an incredibly pro gamer strat and i wish i had the restraint to constantly be one generation behind. i'd be playing Yakuza 3 right now with the knowledge that i have like 10 more Yakuza games to play later

This is me and I'm very satisfied with it. Games only cost a couple of quid each and I try to work my way through chronologically so I still feel the joys of design progression. I've got a 360 and a Wii and I plan to get a PS3 over the summer so that I can get a complete collection.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

The console versions of TEW are poorly optimized and it's unfortunate it never got a "fixed edition" because it existed in that halfway point between last gen and this one.

Also what's with these knocks on the controls, it controls like every other third person shooter that's not an outright action game.

The aiming sway actively fights you like crazy while enemies animations bob like crazy and you move slow as gently caress with a pitiful melee.
Sure you could upgrade these things but instead ill just play re4 again cause its good the whole time

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's too hot I'm burnin up

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I loving hate Skyrim, but Skyrim VR is fantastic! It’s compatible with mods and it’s like having your mind blown when you go up into the snowy mountains and then down into the grassy plains at night, the northern lights up above, and a gentle snow as you hunt an elk, very poorly I might add.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
playing the minigame collection sidegame for a dreamcast action rpg called sengoku turb and this is pod racing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The pod racing n64 game ftw

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woCICnwqDFA

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the main game of sengoku turb looks like this

and frankly i'm in love with it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

That was a fun one, and they should rerelease it on steam.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also the music in sengoku turb owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80lZi2lGRWc

obscure dreamcast games ftw. some day sega will rerelease napple tale

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Not gonna lie, I misread that as nipple tale

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

hate to break it to you but ArcSys tutorials are basically the gold standard of the entire genre

Yeah for every game they make except this one. The combo tutorials expect you to start your auto-combo in the middle of the combo and there are no character specific tutorials for their fundamentals so you’re back to the old days of having to google what exactly is the utility of this and this move.

I don’t mind that much since I’m used to research for fighters but it’s really bad for new players for whom this could be the game that makes them interested in the genre. I know I wouldn’t be as into these games if games like Skullgirls hadn’t had as phenomenal of tutorials as they did

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJArUcJHKfI

sega gave a video game to a team of women who then made one of the coolest, most vibrant games ever... and i can't play it in english yet!!!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

In Training posted:

Episode I Racer is a gem. Every sound effect in that game makes me nostalgic

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

univbee posted:

It’s only like 2 games where the new3ds is mandatory (xenoblade and binding of isaac), other than the snes classics.

I would argue it's mandatory in Hyrule Warriors too. The enemy spawn rate is reduced on the old 3DS to the point where it's literally almost impossible to complete some "kill X enemies" mission objectives and on top of that the game looks and runs like poo poo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

The aiming sway actively fights you like crazy while enemies animations bob like crazy and you move slow as gently caress with a pitiful melee.
Sure you could upgrade these things but instead ill just play re4 again cause its good the whole time

So enemies should just stand still so you can line up perfect shots? Hitting their legs and arms produces far greater effect until you upgrade criticals which stagger on headshots. And the melee in design isn't different from RE4's knife, the point of the attack is to stagger letting you burn them just like the pro strategy in RE4 is to kneecap or stun an enemy to suplex them. Melee isn't an attack you rely on, it's a way to save ammo and create some room in the same way Dead Space uses the stomp.

I don't get the speed issue, the game moves as fast as it needs to. Sprinting is more of a dodge than a way to move faster, which you can outpace basically every enemy if you want to but just like RE4 the game is about knowing your surroundings and gathering enemies at choke points.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

So enemies should just stand still so you can line up perfect shots? Hitting their legs and arms produces far greater effect until you upgrade criticals which stagger on headshots. And the melee in design isn't different from RE4's knife, the point of the attack is to stagger letting you burn them just like the pro strategy in RE4 is to kneecap or stun an enemy to suplex them. Melee isn't an attack you rely on, it's a way to save ammo and create some room in the same way Dead Space uses the stomp.

I don't get the speed issue, the game moves as fast as it needs to. Sprinting is more of a dodge than a way to move faster, which you can outpace basically every enemy if you want to but just like RE4 the game is about knowing your surroundings and gathering enemies at choke points.

Re4: good
Tew2: ok

:shrug:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Kneecapping an enemy in TEW1 then throwing a match while there were other bad dudes nearby and trying to get them all with the fire was the funnest metagame.

Too bad they got rid of that in 2 and for some reason also hosed up the aiming ala-Uncharted 3 so you can only aim in 8 directions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GUI posted:

Kneecapping an enemy in TEW1 then throwing a match while there were other bad dudes nearby and trying to get them all with the fire was the funnest metagame.

Too bad they got rid of that in 2 and for some reason also hosed up the aiming ala-Uncharted 3 so you can only aim in 8 directions.

Yeah, I'm an hour in and boy is this rough. The game looks and feels cheaper and did they nerf the stealth? In the first game as long as you're crouched and behind an enemy you're invisible and they walk set patrol paths carefully but here it's like distraction items don't work and they turn around erratically. But the aiming is especially annoying. I didn't have a problem with it in the first game where you hit whatever is in your crosshair but here they do this thing where an enemy can be in your face, cross hair centered, but you still won't hit because the physical gun or something is under their armpit I don't know how to describe it better than that.

I appreciate they went out of their way to make it more accessible and I turned on the original control setup fast but they've doubled down on the lovely story which was originally an excuse to be every horror game trope tossed in a blender but this game opens with... boring midwestern town?

e: I found out auto-aim was enabled even though I explicitly disabled it in the beginning :shrug:

al-azad fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Training posted:

The opening of the evil within is so lame I may not play any more of it.

Yeah I can’t get past the stealth opening poo poo at all lol

Taintrunner posted:

Man I loving hate Skyrim, but Skyrim VR is fantastic! It’s compatible with mods and it’s like having your mind blown when you go up into the snowy mountains and then down into the grassy plains at night, the northern lights up above, and a gentle snow as you hunt an elk, very poorly I might add.

can I install that elaborate weed mod

In Training posted:

now THAT was pod racing

• Locked thread