Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

StrixNebulosa posted:

....So... I lost the game, because the federation I willingly joined, conquered most of the universe. Because it wasn't my founded federation, I didn't win the game.

What? How is that so - so counter-intuitive?

What's the difference between being in a federation, conquering the galaxy and getting a you-win screen and being in a federation, conquering the galaxy and not getting a you-win screen? If the gameplay to get there isn't any different why do the words at the end screen even matter to you? Just pretend you won, because in every way that matters you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

If you're playing a machine empire and integrate a non-machine subject, they show up as slaves being grid amalgamated.

Is there any way to keep them around as productive, happy, full citizens? They only good option I see is to purge, which I'd like to avoid.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I enjoy a little jankiness to the games, it keeps things feeling fresh.

So far this life-seeded run is going well, I'm about to finally have a level 5 scientist and can research all the remaining projects to find the Cybrex homeworld and hopefully it'll be in my space properly and I can get the nice bonus towards megastructures etc. Haven't found even a single angry civ aside from some pirates a decent ways away with two friendly civs in the middle.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

pmchem posted:

If you're playing a machine empire and integrate a non-machine subject, they show up as slaves being grid amalgamated.

Is there any way to keep them around as productive, happy, full citizens? They only good option I see is to purge, which I'd like to avoid.

play as an assimilating machine empire and borg them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

play as an assimilating machine empire and borg them.

Resistance is futile.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You can also play Rogue Servitors and put them in nice safe unity generating paradises.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I went poking about, didn't find it, but is there a list of what each unique system is? like how Sanctuary has a ring world with 4 nations, gargantua has the infinity machine, etc? I went looking, only found the wiki for all the references and injokes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Chad Jihad posted:

So I did my usual "surrender to the great Khan as soon as they get near" thing, and I don't know whether this has always happened and I just didn't notice before but their fleets stormed through my territory and rampaged across my neighbors, and I immediately hoovered up all the now open systems so by the time the khan died my empire was dramatically more powerful and everyone around me was crippled without any diplomatic consequences. Felt good, but unintentional.

Anyway, New Ship Classes isn't very good. The most interesting thing it does is add a building slot to the level-0 starbases, so you can add a movement building to them or just a solar array to pay for itself or some such. The new ship classes all seem to be cruisers and battleships, and they aren't very interesting (a tech unlock lets you make all S size sections on your battleship, etc) The other main change is adding a million billion module slots to starbases and makes them tougher nuts to crack in general.

I'm kind of a fan of https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1314139718, which adds a speed booster to every station (even outposts.)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I have a regular robot empire and picked up a couple systems after the Khan helpfully removed prior claims. Only problem is that the planets came with some tenants that still haven't relocated after half a century of forced migration - my pristine zero food is marred by an ugly -27 deficit.

Now I'm just going to force eviction by terraforming into a machine world. Get the gently caress out, meatbags.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Whenever I'm feeling lazy and self-indulgent, I like to start a game as a Determined Exterminator on Ensign difficulty and cosplay as an endgame crisis.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

pmchem posted:

Machines and Hiveminds Coexist allows machine empires and hive minds to give citizen rights to biological pops, and adds a machine civic to start the game with some biological citizens. Last time I checked this had some issues (biological pops always defaulted to slavery on game start, the techs didn't drop, the species rights window had a bunch of blank options), and it had a couple of limitations (only stockpiling up to 200 food, limited genetic technologies) so I made my own mod, Machine Government. Mine is slightly more limited in scope as it doesn't do anything with hive minds and only machine empires with the Machine Government civic can give citizen rights to biologicals, but it does give those empires full access to food stockpiling policies, as well as habitability techs and genetic ascension perks. I also enabled utopian abundance and academic privilege living standards because you don't get more fanatically materialistic than replacing your government with a machine sentience, and you can't exactly play as proto-Culture without post-scarcity living standards.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 21, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

There is an achievement for winning the game, and I want it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Why does everybody love the Cybrex homeworld so much? As near as I can tell it's just a ruined ringworld spawn, which isn't all that big a deal.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

StrixNebulosa posted:

There is an achievement for winning the game, and I want it.

If you play the game at all you'll check off that chevo eventually. It's really not a hard one to get.

If you really want to cheese it just set up a tiny map on the easiest difficulty with a devouring swarm and knock it out in a couple hours.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Why does everybody love the Cybrex homeworld so much? As near as I can tell it's just a ruined ringworld spawn, which isn't all that big a deal.

It gives you a cheap ringworld and if you can nab it you get the bonus to mega-engineering pulling out of your tech tree.

Also all the rest used to be objectively crap but now they at least have a guaranteed 10 energy, 10 minerals, and 10 of each research.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

A half free ringworld is pretty sweet imo, especially compared to some of the other homeworlds.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you play the game at all you'll check off that chevo eventually. It's really not a hard one to get.

If you really want to cheese it just set up a tiny map on the easiest difficulty with a devouring swarm and knock it out in a couple hours.

I'll give that a go, thanks!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The victory conditions of 4Xes tend to be more afterthoughts than anything else. Stellaris is just more so.

Alpha Centauri Transcendence remains the only truly worthwhile 4X victory.

The Chad Jihad posted:

So I did my usual "surrender to the great Khan as soon as they get near" thing, and I don't know whether this has always happened and I just didn't notice before but their fleets stormed through my territory and rampaged across my neighbors, and I immediately hoovered up all the now open systems so by the time the khan died my empire was dramatically more powerful and everyone around me was crippled without any diplomatic consequences. Felt good, but unintentional.

Congratulations, you are Space Muscovy.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

PittTheElder posted:

It is a bit of a hold-over from before, but they've run like 2-3 series of buffs onto them. Ruined ringworld, like Sugjin mentioned, raises the weight of mega-engineering a ton (something like from .25 to 2 weight) which is really useful for getting galatic wonders perk.

I don't worry about restarting or anything, finishing the other precursors gives you a really solid system along with a full unity unlock and a chunk of minerals/energy. Basically finishing cybrex is useful late game, but finishing the others should give you an immediate boost that you can turn into immediate gains and snowball that.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ZypherIM posted:

It is a bit of a hold-over from before, but they've run like 2-3 series of buffs onto them. Ruined ringworld, like Sugjin mentioned, raises the weight of mega-engineering a ton (something like from .25 to 2 weight) which is really useful for getting galatic wonders perk.

Eh, Mega-engineering only unlocks after you have Battleships, Citadels and ZPP. If you haven't grabbed a gateway or other mega structure by then, something is off.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

McSpanky posted:

Cybrex are so much better than the other precursors it's not even funny.
The others should get megastructures too. The Yuht probably built a sentry array during their hunt, give them a ruined one. Put a gate in the First League Headquarters system and turn the planet into a functional machine world. The Irrassians built a lot of science stations, maybe they built a science nexus. The Vultaum... well, a disabled planet cracker would make the most sense, but probably not feasible.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Splicer posted:

The others should get megastructures too. The Yuht probably built a sentry array during their hunt, give them a ruined one. Put a gate in the First League Headquarters system and turn the planet into a functional machine world. The Irrassians built a lot of science stations, maybe they built a science nexus. The Vultaum... well, a disabled planet cracker would make the most sense, but probably not feasible.

Make the Vultaum system spawn mining station under your control with access to very rich resource deposits, since they already cracked them open for you.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Welp, just tried the Deathworlders. My jungle world is alive, with parasites, and giant spiders.

I feel i should renamed the place Nope

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tomn posted:

The victory conditions of 4Xes tend to be more afterthoughts than anything else. Stellaris is just more so.

Alpha Centauri Transcendence remains the only truly worthwhile 4X victory.

Congratulations, you are Space Muscovy.

I feel like the Khan is poorly implemented. The optimal strat is to just do exactly as he did and hoover up all those systems they free up. The ai never does this though and always fights them and losses badly.

It's basically a free boost to the player (who probably doesn't need it) mid game.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

Machine world is obviously only useful for machines, better to go with Gaia, or possibly Gaia-or-machine-depending-on-who-finds-it. Science nexus should go to Vultaum, IMO, since their whole deal was that they studied the world and decided that they were living in a sim. Irassians don't really scream anything other than social research from the remains of their society, so I'd give them a Dyson sphere just to round things out.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
New mod lookout: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365485813

From the maker of Ex-Overhaul and collaborator on EUTAB, this new mod is part of an upcoming series that revamps the game. In particular, this mod changes buildings in a huge way by making it so that actually building the right buildings on a tile with resources gives you a lot more of that resources by adding a multiplier to the tile's resource amount on top of the amount generated by the building. This is also intended to help out the AI by basically making its decision-making process re: tile development (and sector AI on "respect tile resources" mode) a lot simpler by ensuring that just by building the correct buildings, it gets enough resources back to sustain itself properly.

It also has a compat patch out for EUTAB, and can be added to an ongoing game. CAVEAT: as of now there's a weird bug where strategic resources get wiped across the galaxy if you load it in a current savegame so be careful and maybe wait for further info.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

Pretty sure its intentional. If you surrender to an AI they assume you’re loyal vassals. For example if an awakened empire is conquering enemies that are adjacent to your border they’ll hand systems over to you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

darthbob88 posted:

Machine world is obviously only useful for machines, better to go with Gaia, or possibly Gaia-or-machine-depending-on-who-finds-it. Science nexus should go to Vultaum, IMO, since their whole deal was that they studied the world and decided that they were living in a sim. Irassians don't really scream anything other than social research from the remains of their society, so I'd give them a Dyson sphere just to round things out.
Lore says the first empire capital was a city planet with no food so Gaia's a weird fit, but a 25 tile planet with the same climate as the finding Empire's capital, a unique "World City" modifier, and a few surviving t6 buildings could be nice. Yeah I had the same thought for the Vultaum vs Irrassian for the science nexus but the Vultaum's actual events don't really scream science either, they seem to indicate they came to the sim conclusion through video games rather than science. Plus, planet-cracking their own planet as a middle finger to, basically, us, is pretty metal. Add a new precursor for the Dyson sphere!

wiegieman posted:

Make the Vultaum system spawn mining station under your control with access to very rich resource deposits, since they already cracked them open for you.
An asteroid belt full of ludicrous quality minerals and engineering research (from the remains of the planet cracker) would work yeah.

ZypherIM posted:

I don't worry about restarting or anything, finishing the other precursors gives you a really solid system along with a full unity unlock and a chunk of minerals/energy. Basically finishing cybrex is useful late game, but finishing the others should give you an immediate boost that you can turn into immediate gains and snowball that.
Before ringworlds were fixable it used to drop 4x living metal, which was amazing. I don't think it does anymore, I forget. I keep getting the Yuht.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Splicer posted:

Before ringworlds were fixable it used to drop 4x living metal, which was amazing. I don't think it does anymore, I forget. I keep getting the Yuht.

It doesn't give any living metal, no. Kinda would like that to be back, honestly.

I'd say you could still get living metal from it if you don't have utopia, but that would depend on whether or not Megastructures were added to the base game like a chunk of Utopia's features were.

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota

Spanish Matlock posted:

Did they actually move on you with them? Because afaik they don't actually.. do anything.

YES! Almost every one was streaming right at me.

Even the ones in the back of the empire had orders to various systems that I owned.

I appreciate a challenge, but that was a bit much.

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota

The Chad Jihad posted:

Anyway, New Ship Classes isn't very good. The most interesting thing it does is add a building slot to the level-0 starbases, so you can add a movement building to them or just a solar array to pay for itself or some such. The new ship classes all seem to be cruisers and battleships, and they aren't very interesting (a tech unlock lets you make all S size sections on your battleship, etc) The other main change is adding a million billion module slots to starbases and makes them tougher nuts to crack in general.

Have you gotten to the dreads and above yet? The additional modules are interesting, as well.

It changes the end game quite a bit.

Also, I like the big starbases. It should be hard to crack a fortified system.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

And the Worm in Waiting has set my dudes free from the only restriction of the Life-Seeded start :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Splicer posted:

Lore says the first empire capital was a city planet with no food so Gaia's a weird fit, but a 25 tile planet with the same climate as the finding Empire's capital, a unique "World City" modifier, and a few surviving t6 buildings could be nice. Yeah I had the same thought for the Vultaum vs Irrassian for the science nexus but the Vultaum's actual events don't really scream science either, they seem to indicate they came to the sim conclusion through video games rather than science. Plus, planet-cracking their own planet as a middle finger to, basically, us, is pretty metal. Add a new precursor for the Dyson sphere!

Hypothetically, a gaia world doesn't necessarily mean that a planet IS a garden, just that it COULD be a garden because the temperature, gravity, atmosphere, distance from the sun, water sources etc. etc. are all absolutely perfect for habitation. In a weird way this is backed by history - some of the most fertile, pleasant land on the planet are now 100% concrete jungle, because people tended to settle and congregate where the food and easy living was and after the metropolis took on a life of its own it just kept expanding over what was once farmland.

Granted that gets a little weirder on a planet-wide scale, but it's not really that much odder than a planet that is magically perfectly habitable and an utter paradise for ALL life in the galaxy, everywhere. Gaia worlds as a concept bend alarmingly when you look closely at them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shugojin posted:

And the Worm in Waiting has set my dudes free from the only restriction of the Life-Seeded start :v:

What will be, was.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

The Chad Jihad posted:

Strike Cruisers are my version of torpvette spam. With endgame tech and a good admiral those things can have like 900 speed and high evasion while fielding 2x4 (or 5?) missile slots, plus a couple of PD slots. Supercarriers would be nice if strikecraft worked.

Also yeah, dreadnoughts, 10 titans, and a flagship are where it's really at with NSC.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Black Pants posted:

Strike Cruisers are my version of torpvette spam. With endgame tech and a good admiral those things can have like 900 speed and high evasion while fielding 2x4 (or 5?) missile slots, plus a couple of PD slots. Supercarriers would be nice if strikecraft worked.

Also yeah, dreadnoughts, 10 titans, and a flagship are where it's really at with NSC.

Is this the mod that buffs starbases and adds different sized defensive platforms?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Soonmot posted:

Is this the mod that buffs starbases and adds different sized defensive platforms?

I don't know about the latter, but it adds an extra upgrade level to starbases.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

McSpanky posted:

Cybrex are so much better than the other precursors it's not even funny.

binge crotching posted:

They are. It's gotten to the point where I'll look at the save game to find the closest system with precursor_5, and scan that first to ensure I get Cybrex.

Assorted Precursor Adjustments stops the non-Cybrex precursor chains from blocking the Cybrex event chain. It also does its best to make the final systems spawn in/near your territory.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the rough'n'tumblinest snailiens you ever did see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I really HATE how I cannot tell my sectors to have a pop on the loving Cryto-Revitalization Center or any other unity generating buildings, and there is no sector setting for it! Its so bad that I am going to look for a mod that removes sectors and the core planet cap because this is super tacky, to me, when I am playing a Unity-focused game.

Captain Invictus posted:

the rough'n'tumblinest snailiens you ever did see

YES