Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Help me make sense of my own foolishness, fellow pregnant goons. I had some contraction-like cramping yesterday, no blood or discharge, and I was probably dehydrated. My OB says it's probably just the dehydration, but still wants me to come in and get checked out, and the only time they have available in when I'm seeing clients. Since I'm pretty sure I know *why* this was happening, should I still go in? If I don't have to lose out on 200 bucks right now I'd rather not, but I'd also super prefer a healthy baby than 200 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Help me make sense of my own foolishness, fellow pregnant goons. I had some contraction-like cramping yesterday, no blood or discharge, and I was probably dehydrated. My OB says it's probably just the dehydration, but still wants me to come in and get checked out, and the only time they have available in when I'm seeing clients. Since I'm pretty sure I know *why* this was happening, should I still go in? If I don't have to lose out on 200 bucks right now I'd rather not, but I'd also super prefer a healthy baby than 200 bucks.

Can you reschedule your clients? If not, how badly do you need the $200?

Saying this as someone who dropped $400 on what I was pretty sure was a totally unnecessary visit to the paediatrician but the GP recommended it so we went just in case to make sure it wasn't some weird thing that would have bad impacts on baby's development.

We really really could have used that $400 elsewhere. But I felt better after going, even though I was 99.5% confident there was nothing wrong.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

10 weeks today with kid #2, have had two ultrasounds already and things look good, just have to keep monitoring that pesky fibroid.

Did you tell people sooner with your second/subsequent children? For our first we didn’t even tell our parents until the second trimester. This time around we told parents at 7 weeks, and I’ve confided in one close friend but it’s mostly a secret. I vacillate between itching to tell more friends and wanting to keep it a secret forever/until they ask if I’m getting fat.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Chernobyl Princess posted:

How pregnant are you?

If you’re in the third trimester and it stopped with rest/ drinking water then it sounds like Braxton Hicks to me. They’re usually not painful, but they can be. If you had no discharge and it stopped it’s probably fine.

If you’re earlier, lots of women have period like cramps early on. I did with both my pregnancies and the nurses at my midwife’s office said not to worry if there’s no blood.

Either way, only you can decide if you want to go in or not. I do think it’s a common misconception that all cramping in pregnancy is bad, but it’s actually pretty common. I certainly thought it was before my first pregnancy.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Hi_Bears posted:

10 weeks today with kid #2, have had two ultrasounds already and things look good, just have to keep monitoring that pesky fibroid.

Did you tell people sooner with your second/subsequent children? For our first we didn’t even tell our parents until the second trimester. This time around we told parents at 7 weeks, and I’ve confided in one close friend but it’s mostly a secret. I vacillate between itching to tell more friends and wanting to keep it a secret forever/until they ask if I’m getting fat.

We told sooner in the sense we went fully public at 16w instead of 22w like we did with our daughter. Our immediate families got told at 13w like last time, with the exception of my sister who I told as soon as I peed on a stick. We know the sex now, but we're keeping that to ourselves until after the anatomy scan just in case our elective ultrasound was wrong.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

#1 I was very excited and told everyone early, #2 I was more cautious waited until 12 weeks because I had finally become aware of the realities of other people's loss and struggles.
Both times I told my work early so they wouldn't ask me to do heavy lifting, and to give them a heads-up for planning the kindergarten school year.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I've been focusing my sad over not currently having a baby into window shopping baby stuff.

Is it a rule that all cribs are ugly as sin? Because it seems like a rule.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

RabbitMage posted:

I've been focusing my sad over not currently having a baby into window shopping baby stuff.

Is it a rule that all cribs are ugly as sin? Because it seems like a rule.

We have this one and the matching dresser and I find them very attractive.
https://m.buybuybaby.com/m/product/...ASABEgLY3_D_BwE

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

I just got a cheap ikea cot that converts into a toddler bed. I'm only having one baby and I'd rather spend the money on an awesome bed when she's older and can appreciate it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We took our time to tell this pregnancy. I got pregnant a year ago and lost it at about 10ish weeks. We had told our son, parents, and a few other people. Having to tell our son he wasn't going to be a big brother was the hardest part of it to be honest. This time around we only told a few people after the 8 week ultrasound. I actually told my friend at work that I share an office with and my boss before my parents. Mostly because the pregnancy hit me really hard and if they were wondering why I was napping on my off time in my office. I'm a college professor and I needed to tell my boss asap because she was putting together the fall schedules (in January) and I wanted to give her a heads up so she could make strategic choices on what classes I taught and when so they could be covered since I am due 2 days before the start of the fall semester. We have a small department and I didn't want to leave her hanging. After the 12 week scan and everything came back good we told our son and close family and some close friends. I wasn't really hiding it from the world, but we didn't do any social media posts and we weren't going around telling everyone. Its just not anyone's business. We're pretty private people

We did break down and post on social media about it on April 1st when I was 21 weeks. I figured I might as well let the world know I am pregnant, not getting fat in case co workers were wondering. I only had one student ask me privately if I was pregnant so far, but I think it is pretty obvious now. That student is a big gossip so I am sure the whole program knows now.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
We just got a positive test. Stressed though. No kids and Last year in January my wife had an ectopic (no surgery), then in August or so a miscarriage, then again in December. All before like 6 weeks. We are zoned to a really good women’s hospital here in Melbourne and they’ve made us feel comfortable in being able to contact them to talk and they keep an eye on it as we are apparently deemed as high risk due to the baby.

The last few months her cycle has been a bit out of whack and longer than usual. She had a 33 day cycle last month and took a pregnancy test this month a few days ago at day 36 and it was negative. But took another today and it was positive. Not really sure if that’s inidicative of anything.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Is she going to the doctor to get blood tests? Watching the HCG rise will be a good indicator of whether the pregnancy is progressing. Especially given her history of miscarriage has the doctor mentioned getting progesterone? I’m sure it’s a stressful time and unfortunately a lot of it is a “time will tell” kind of deal. Best of luck to you guys!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Yeah she’s going to the doctor today to get one and then the hospital has told us to come in a few days later and they get a rushed one in - then compare the two. They also are worried about ectopic since it’s happened before it’s apparently a higher risk of happening again. Just hope it’s a decent rise on the levels. She really gets stressed out at it and there is nothing I can do to help stop the worrying :(

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

teacup posted:

Yeah she’s going to the doctor today to get one and then the hospital has told us to come in a few days later and they get a rushed one in - then compare the two. They also are worried about ectopic since it’s happened before it’s apparently a higher risk of happening again. Just hope it’s a decent rise on the levels. She really gets stressed out at it and there is nothing I can do to help stop the worrying :(

Just be there for her, that’s all you can do. All the best with the testing.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Thanks guys :) cross fingers. We are trying to just not get too worked up in either direction until we know. We got too hyped last times and then the hormone levels didn’t rise enough and it was just crushing. So now just see how it’ll turn out!

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
We got a positive SMA carrier result from wifey, so now have to wait for my results to come back. Very stressful. I don't think I have any history of it in my family, so I'm hoping my likelihood is VERY low(like 0).

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Hi_Bears posted:

7 weeks 5 days with the second baby and had my first ultrasound today. I have a fibroid that has gotten significantly bigger since my last pregnancy (now 7cm). The doctor mentioned some risks of miscarriage, preterm labor, etc. Anyone have experience with fibroids and pregnancy?

Oh hey, just had my first trimester screening and the doctor was all like, you knew you had a fibroid, right?
... What?

Apparently mine is 6cm and I probably have another one too. He can't seem to believe that I didn't know about it what with having had a missed miscarriage not but 5 months ago with all of those previous ultrasounds and assuming I would have had symptoms at least. This being my first baby, I don't have any experience with them, but the doctor assured me that we could make it through the pregnancy, though I wish he had given me a little more information about it.

I'm worried that this disqualifies me from midwife delivery though. So yeah, if anyone else has experience to share, that would be super appreciated!

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I had a fibroid on top of my uterus like a stupid little red hat, even got a photo of it when I had my ovarian cyst taken out. I had a successful vaginal birth, full-term, no gestational complications.

I think it’s mostly an issue if the blast tries to implant on or close to the fibroid, which will disrupt its blood flow once the placenta starts to form.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

a friendly penguin posted:

Oh hey, just had my first trimester screening and the doctor was all like, you knew you had a fibroid, right?
... What?

Oh hi fibroid buddy!
I knew I had a fibroid but I didn't know how big it had gotten (it was more like 2cm at the beginning of my last pregnancy?) I also have ZERO symptoms from it. I think its location really impacts whether it will interfere with pregnancy or not - last time around the doctor expressed zero concerns and sure enough everything was totally fine. I don't think it will automatically disqualify you from midwife delivery but that's a decision you have to make, especially as the pregnancy progresses and you monitor how the fibroid is growing.

At my last ultrasound (10 weeks) they told me the fibroid was starting to deteriorate, and that pieces of it were starting to fall off. The doctor said that was preferable to it growing larger, though it could cause pain (it hasn't).
I have to mention that I'm going to a different doctor this time so maybe it's just a difference in attitude and not that bigger fibroid = more problems.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that both of your pregnancies have been pretty chill with fibroids. It just seems like every time I go to see a doctor there's some new thing to worry about when here I thought I was totally healthy. I have a new respect for pregnant people and I wish us all peace and calm.

I was talking to my mother and she said that with her first kids she didn't have any ultrasounds and in later years she only had one towards the end of the first trimester. There's so much she wouldn't have known without all the fancy tests and things we do now. I wonder if it made it any less stressful.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

1000% it did. I mean I’m glad we have better medicine and technology now god forbid something actually is wrong but for the average pregnancy, knowing all the potential things that could go wrong is way more stress inducing.

Last time around I got the Panorama blood test (just because it was offered, I didn’t have any high risk factors) and when it came back inconclusive we had to go to a genetic counselor. Lots of stress and anxiety all because of a fancy new test not working for me.

Shitpost Malone
Apr 17, 2018
Hi, we just left the ob gyn and had to see the nurse practitioner due to the doctor having a death in the family. I tested positive for group b strep but NP didn’t really seem like it was an issue since I’m having a scheduled c section on May the 11th. I googled it like a moron and of course read the horror stories about sepsis and other infections passing onto the baby. I have another appointment with my ob gyn on Friday but I’m kinda freaking out. Anyone else have this experience?

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Shitpost Malone posted:

Hi, we just left the ob gyn and had to see the nurse practitioner due to the doctor having a death in the family. I tested positive for group b strep but NP didn’t really seem like it was an issue since I’m having a scheduled c section on May the 11th. I googled it like a moron and of course read the horror stories about sepsis and other infections passing onto the baby. I have another appointment with my ob gyn on Friday but I’m kinda freaking out. Anyone else have this experience?

I didn’t even know I had tested positive until I got to the hospital 14 hours after my water broke (probably a dumb idea in hindsight). They hooked me up to antibiotics and all was fine. Baby perfectly healthy with no infections. It’s really very common to have group b strep and the horror stories are very very rare.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Shitpost Malone posted:

The horror stories are why they do the testing so they can proactively give you antibiotics to prevent the baby from getting it. About 25% of women will test positive, but since baby is not coming out of your nether regions there is close to a 0% chance your baby will come into contact with it. They probably only tested you just so on the rare chance that you go into labor before the section and can’t get to the hospital before the baby is delivered then they know to look out for it.

For most women testing positive just means you have IV antibiotics during labor. That’s what I had and our daughter was born perfect and healthy.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So we’ve had two successive blood tests and my wife’s hormone levels were 135 one day then 450 three days later. The doctor was a bit worried at the first but seemed quite happy at the second. We are booked in to go on Tuesday so she can get checked out. They are a bit worried due to the fact that we’ve had two miscarriages and an ectopic but this is the furthest we’ve gotten without any pains or bleeding before so quietly hopeful.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
WELP, failed my 1 hour glucose test by 2 measly points. Anyone have any stats handy for failure rates of the 1 and 3 hour? Just trying to make myself feel better.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

A lot of people fail the first and pass the three hour.

It's by design...the one hour test isn't diagnostic, so there are a lot of people that get sent to the three hour one that don't have GD.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Just be sure the doctor isn't a POS and actually gives you the further tests. I only mention it because with my fourth the doc decided that one was plenty to go on and had me logging food and testing my blood for a month before I learned better and changed doctors.
I wasn't diabetic.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Apparently my uterus is just absurdly comfortable because my first (who is now 3) was 10 days past due date and then induced due to low amniotic fluids.

Well baby #2 is now officially 41 weeks and has shown no signs that he's interested in leaving. Trying to be chill about it but I am so uncomfortable and cranky. And holy god is it more exhausting this time around with a demanding toddler running around too.

Hoping to be back in the thread soon with good news but in the meantime, just ranting. :)

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Stairs posted:

Just be sure the doctor isn't a POS and actually gives you the further tests. I only mention it because with my fourth the doc decided that one was plenty to go on and had me logging food and testing my blood for a month before I learned better and changed doctors.
I wasn't diabetic.

:stare:

Yikes. Nah, I've already scheduled it. Gonna try and go in not dehydrated this time. The idea of having to do finger sticks gives me the willies, so really hoping the ol' pancreas steps up.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
I always fall into the gray area on the 1 hour test, but my hospital has women who are borderline monitor their blood sugar for a week rather than go in for a 3 hour test. I don't know if this makes things more accurate but every time I wind up passing the week-long test. Finger sticking isn't as bad as it seems but the strips are expensive if you wind up testing positive.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

McStabby posted:

I always fall into the gray area on the 1 hour test, but my hospital has women who are borderline monitor their blood sugar for a week rather than go in for a 3 hour test. I don't know if this makes things more accurate but every time I wind up passing the week-long test. Finger sticking isn't as bad as it seems but the strips are expensive if you wind up testing positive.

Honestly this seems smarter to me than the three hour test. The goal is really to identify patients who would have increased blood glucose levels throughout their daily life so they can be treated with medication or placed on a restrictive diet. It makes sense to test who has elevated fasting and postprandial blood glucose this way as it gives you a weeks worth of data and really shows who has elevated blood glucose in their regular environment.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

2DEG posted:

:stare:

Yikes. Nah, I've already scheduled it. Gonna try and go in not dehydrated this time. The idea of having to do finger sticks gives me the willies, so really hoping the ol' pancreas steps up.

I'd like to clear up that if you do turn out to have GD it's really not the terrifying thing it feels like it is. It's tedious but not undoable, I just hated doing it when it wasn't actually necessary. You get used to the finger sticks and it goes away once the baby is born, so don't panic if you have to do it!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Well, looks like this one wasn’t meant to be. We had our 8 week ultrasound two days ago. Yesterday the Dr called back saying it didn’t look very promising with the embryo very low in the womb. We were told to call back if any bleeding happened.

Well this morning we got just that and now a few hours into it, we seem to have lost it.

Just posting to vent I guess, trying to keep on a strong face for my wife, but in pretty sad about it myself.

Well the last four months have gone by in a flash since this last post of mine here.

Just got back from the Dr. and we are pregnant again. Had an ultrasound and my wife is 8 weeks along, and things look much better this time. Pretty nervous after the last one, but really hopeful too! Dr. told us to be cautious emotionally until they do a follow up ultrasound and bloodwork in 2 weeks.

On a positive note(haha) my wife is having tons of morning sickness again that plagued our first pregnancy, but was completely missing from the miscarriage one, so she thinks that is a really good sign!

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Well the last four months have gone by in a flash since this last post of mine here.

Just got back from the Dr. and we are pregnant again. Had an ultrasound and my wife is 8 weeks along, and things look much better this time. Pretty nervous after the last one, but really hopeful too! Dr. told us to be cautious emotionally until they do a follow up ultrasound and bloodwork in 2 weeks.

On a positive note(haha) my wife is having tons of morning sickness again that plagued our first pregnancy, but was completely missing from the miscarriage one, so she thinks that is a really good sign!

Congrats, that’s great news! And from what I’ve read, more morning sickness is correlated with a lower risk of miscarriage so your wife is right that it’s a good sign. Hopefully that knowledge helps with the misery of constant puking!

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

SquirrelFace posted:

Congrats, that’s great news! And from what I’ve read, more morning sickness is correlated with a lower risk of miscarriage so your wife is right that it’s a good sign. Hopefully that knowledge helps with the misery of constant puking!

Its the progesterone that makes you so darn sick. Miscarriages can happen from lack of progesterone so in that way it is a good sign to have it. There's also some evidence to support that women with Hyperemesis Gravidarum have healthier pregnancies (though they personally feel like crap).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Apparently my uterus is just absurdly comfortable because my first (who is now 3) was 10 days past due date and then induced due to low amniotic fluids.

Well baby #2 is now officially 41 weeks and has shown no signs that he's interested in leaving. Trying to be chill about it but I am so uncomfortable and cranky. And holy god is it more exhausting this time around with a demanding toddler running around too.

Hoping to be back in the thread soon with good news but in the meantime, just ranting. :)

Brief update:

His name is Lucian, but we'll call him Luc (like picard, not like the whiny teenager who wants to go to tosche station).

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Aw, congratulations :kimchi:

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Yay! Congrats you guys! :3:

Meanwhile, passed the 3 hour with flying colors! Thanks to everyone for the reassurance -- I really am a huge, unbelievable weenie when it comes to finger sticks, but would've powered through it. Just glad it worked out. That drink was nasty tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My glucose test is next week. They gave me the drink to drink at a specific time at home before my appointment. I don't understand how people have a problem with how it tastes. Would I drink it on my own? No. It just tastes like someone made Hi-C with too much powder in my opinion.