Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fallout 2 companions could become murder machines if you equipped them properly and let them gain a few levels. It just took a lot of effort to get there.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas have the opposite problem where you sometimes wonder why you even bother to show up for a fight considering your pals have no trouble mowing down everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Gaius Marius posted:

I got through all of Fallout 1 with Ian and Dogmeat only for them to die in the military base walking back and forth through the damage force fields. I couldn't even give enough of a poo poo to reload and save them at that point.

Oh god all the memories of trying to keep Dogmeat alive through Mariposa are flooding in now.

STAY, GODDAMMIT

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Haha, in the Fallout 2 manual didn't it state that Dogmeat (or Ian) died in the base? I guess that's as canon as it's gonna get.

I had the big box versions and I threw them away later because I was tired of storing them. Why, god.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

antidote posted:

Haha, in the Fallout 2 manual didn't it state that Dogmeat (or Ian) died in the base? I guess that's as canon as it's gonna get.

I had the big box versions and I threw them away later because I was tired of storing them. Why, god.

Dogmeat died in the base; Ian got killed by super mutants at the Necropolis watershed.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Leroy Dennui posted:

Dogmeat died in the base; Ian got killed by super mutants at the Necropolis watershed.

At least according to the "Vault Dwellers' Memories" (some fluff in the F2 manual). There was cut content in F2 that he somehow retired around Vault City and that poo poo was just something he and VD made up .

That means there is a high possibilty the fan project restored his encounter for whatever that's worth.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 4, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OutofSight posted:

At least according to the "Vault Dwellers' Memories" (some fluff in the F2 manual). Their were cut content in F2 that he somehow retired around Vault City and that poo poo was just he and VD made up .

That means there is a high possibilty the fan project restored his encounter for whatever that's worth.

It did, he's hanging out in Vault City behind the bar and rambles on about some guy he used to roam the wastes with. He's part of a vault city vs The Brain questline.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I suppose it would be rude if I told Piper to go fetch.

You can tell Piper to go fetch. I seem to recall reading that making companions loot containers didn't check their weight capacity so you could stuff them full of infinite junk

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Do they? Admittedly I've never really used companions in 4 beyond the quests that make them mandatory and even then I will interact with them as sparingly as possible. Apart from that they get to spend their lives in their closet or roaming some random settlement. They endlessly bitch about me picking things up otherwise so I don't particularly enjoy the company. Companions in FO3 were a pain and nothing seemed to have changed in NV so I never bothered giving them a chance in 4.

My dislike of them stretches back to 1 - when not long after picking up Ian I found I had to pay for everything he used and then he died in Junktown after Killian unloaded half a clip of 9mm ammo in to his back while we were fending off hitmen. My friends and I had a good laugh about Killian living up to his name and then I never really bothered with any other companions again.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
That other companion in F1, the Wasteland ranger guy was pretty capable in combat, even if Ian and the girl didn't amount to much. Same with all the 'main' companions in F2 (everyone forgets about the worthless ones like the ghoul doctor).

F3/NV they're ridiculous murder machines with the right equipment, Butch notwithstanding.

I'm replaying F4 now and I've noticed that they appear to do a lot more in combat, like flank and take shots from behind cover and all, but they miss so much and do so little damage (even if you give them decent weapons) that they're more useful as a distraction to set up consecutive sneak attacks without enemies honing in on you. Some of them are also pretty great to have along and provide good commentary during quests; Nick Valentine, Deacon and Codsworth are especially great, and I'm such a hoarder playing Bethesda games I can't imagine ever willingly not having a pack mule on hand.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm such a hoarder playing Bethesda games I can't imagine ever willingly not having a pack mule on hand.

once I decided to go gently caress this I am setting weightcap on 9000, a much more happier gaming life ensued

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

dead comedy forums posted:

once I decided to go gently caress this I am setting weightcap on 9000, a much more happier gaming life ensued

But Inventory management is the best part of the game?

You need to make a crate for unique weapons, unique armors, complete nonunique outfits, topmodded guns, special junk, all notes/holotapes, special misc, magazines. And of course the sort and sell boxes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there any way I can get the fallout 4 season pass for under $80 without waiting for some sale?

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

Truecon420 posted:

But Inventory management is the best part of the game?

You need to make a crate for unique weapons, unique armors, complete nonunique outfits, topmodded guns, special junk, all notes/holotapes, special misc, magazines. And of course the sort and sell boxes

i am new to this game,fall out 4 do items despawn or can i just put them in a box/locker ect anywhere and they stay? also whats the point of putting stuff in your dog does he just eat those items or what happens to them

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Turmoilx posted:

i am new to this game,fall out 4 do items despawn or can i just put them in a box/locker ect anywhere and they stay? also whats the point of putting stuff in your dog does he just eat those items or what happens to them

Depends. Did you make that box and place it on a settlement? Then what you put in it stays (barring bugs). Did the box come as part of the game's original map--like it was a mailbox or dumpster behind a random building? Then it will all disappear when the cell recycles at some point.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Actually if it's in a settlement and you put stuff in it I believe it stays that way. See: the preset safe in the drug dealer's house in Sanctuary where I stashed all my discarded legendaries one playthrough.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there any way I can get the fallout 4 season pass for under $80 without waiting for some sale?

Not that I know of. Keep an eye here I guess?

https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=Fallout+4#/page:game/info?plain=falloutivseasonpass

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I've beaten FO2 a bunch and never had issues with companions being useless. A) Give them all gauss rifles or gauss pistols (and their mid-game equivalents). B) do not give them pancor jackhammers or machine guns. Edit: C) Pray Sulik doesn't knock an enemy off-screen.

What's the dealio?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Probably never. Like a month ago I broke down and had a Skyrim binge, and thought of getting the DLC, but it was still full price.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Turmoilx posted:

It depends.

marshmallow creep posted:

Depends. Did you make that box and place it on a settlement? Then what you put in it stays (barring bugs). Did the box come as part of the game's original map--like it was a mailbox or dumpster behind a random building? Then it will all disappear when the cell recycles at some point.

This is wrong. Settlement containers don't reset.

Wolfsheim posted:

Actually if it's in a settlement and you put stuff in it I believe it stays that way. See: the preset safe in the drug dealer's house in Sanctuary where I stashed all my discarded legendaries one playthrough.

This is better, but not entirely correct either. Settlers and companions will grab items if they're in a situation that calls for them to. So, they'll eat your food and drink your Nuka Cola Quantum if they find it. If they enter combat, they'll also grab your weapons, too, if they're better than what the settler is carrying. While that last condition is rare, it's enough to cause one's OCD to flare up if one were so afflicted.

On the NE side of Sanctuary, behind the blue house that is on your left if you are looking at the big tree in the cul-de-sac, there's a set of double doors set into the ground that take you to the 'root cellar'. The containers in there don't respawn, and your settlers can't cross cells to get in there, so anything stored inside is perfectly safe from everything. It's a good spot to start with, then once you're established, you can build a permanent mass storage setup at a settlement with no settlers or something like that.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 4, 2018

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I've beaten FO2 a bunch and never had issues with companions being useless. A) Give them all gauss rifles or gauss pistols (and their mid-game equivalents). B) do not give them pancor jackhammers or machine guns. Edit: C) Pray Sulik doesn't knock an enemy off-screen.

What's the dealio?

Very few people realized Marcus could be given a plasma rifle instead of ”killemallgodsortsemout”-minigun.

Cha 9 and magnetic personality you could have vic cassidy sulik Marcus and goris. Thats in order sniper, beefed plasma pistol, super sledge/p90, turbo plasma rifle and deathclaw. Aside from a enclave patrol very few things stood after round 1. Add sniper and better criticals+finesse the PC could fire 3 Times a turn with .44 Magnum for 0 damage But instant Kill crit. Also sulik with p90 is hilarious when the tribal first runs to melee range and THEN starts spraying Because sulik doesnt understand concept of shootgunz

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Valtonen posted:

Very few people realized Marcus could be given a plasma rifle instead of ”killemallgodsortsemout”-minigun.

Cha 9 and magnetic personality you could have vic cassidy sulik Marcus and goris. Thats in order sniper, beefed plasma pistol, super sledge/p90, turbo plasma rifle and deathclaw. Aside from a enclave patrol very few things stood after round 1. Add sniper and better criticals+finesse the PC could fire 3 Times a turn with .44 Magnum for 0 damage But instant Kill crit. Also sulik with p90 is hilarious when the tribal first runs to melee range and THEN starts spraying Because sulik doesnt understand concept of shootgunz

Even Myron with a gauss pistol is effective. E: At least, I think it was Myron. This was years ago!

And, yeah, the temptation is to let Marcus keep his minigun but hell no, get a single shot plasma on there. Can't remember if he could use the y2k3000 laser rifle or whatever it was called, but that had the best death anim and IIRC went toe to toe with the suped up plasma rifle.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Even Myron with a gauss pistol is effective. E: At least, I think it was Myron. This was years ago!

And, yeah, the temptation is to let Marcus keep his minigun but hell no, get a single shot plasma on there. Can't remember if he could use the y2k3000 laser rifle or whatever it was called, but that had the best death anim and IIRC went toe to toe with the suped up plasma rifle.

The pulse rifle. For the longest time there was only 1 in the entire game But lo and behold- some of the totally normal random encounter maps have a cave that you can enter- filled with anywhere from 7 to 18+ mercenaries in combat armor with pulse, turbo plasma, gausses and g11Es. Cheesing them with enter cave-shoot-run out If cave nets a fortune.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Mooktastical posted:

This is wrong. Settlement containers don't reset.

I swear that they can reset if you don't interact with them first. Like, on my latest run I scoured my prewar house at the beginning and the liquor cabinet was empty, but when I came back from saving Preston & co. there was wine.

quote:

On the NE side of Sanctuary, behind the blue house that is on your left if you are looking at the big tree in the cul-de-sac, there's a set of double doors set into the ground that take you to the 'root cellar'. The containers in there don't respawn, and your settlers can't cross cells to get in there, so anything stored inside is perfectly safe from everything. It's a good spot to start with, then once you're established, you can build a permanent mass storage setup at a settlement with no settlers or something like that.

You can alternately just dump all your good stuff at Red Rocket and never send settlers there :shrug:

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I swear that they can reset if you don't interact with them first. Like, on my latest run I scoured my prewar house at the beginning and the liquor cabinet was empty, but when I came back from saving Preston & co. there was wine.

I've never seen that happen. I always loot a settlement, then scrap everything scrappable, THEN start using it, so It's entirely possible that containers will change their gear once that part of the exterior is unloaded/3 days pass. Still, assuming that's true, they're still safe as long as you loot their original contents first.

Wolfsheim posted:

You can alternately just dump all your good stuff at Red Rocket and never send settlers there :shrug:

True, but Sanctuary is the 'traditional' first settlement, with (IIRC) more built-in workbenches and crops. I guess the difference in load times is the same, so it doesn't really matter, although technically it's still possible for a raider or super mutant or something to 'collect' your gear during an attack, although even more unlikely than a settler doing it.

Oh btw Turmoilx, make sure that you take the fusion core out of any power armor you store at a settlement. Settlers love to hijack them even more than they like using your guns to shoot stuff.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Best thing is trash can Carla will steal your power armour if it has a core in it and sanctuary comes under attack while she’s there and then you can’t ever get it back without reloading a save and she’ll just hang out in it all game

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

What's the dealio?

I always end up with Cassidy with a sniper rifle and Sulik with a .223 pistol

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Lol at Ian "canonically" dying at the watershed because that's where you first come across super mutants. If only he could sport some armor.

FO2 did the companion thing rather well I think. I always ended up with a posse. I might've beaten the game solo once or twice but I mean sheesh the first companion you come across is Sulik, how do you say no to that?

drat, nostalgy is kicking in. I'm installing FO2 today.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

(everyone forgets about the worthless ones like the ghoul doctor).
I will not have you besmirch the good name of my friend Lenny. :colbert:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Wugga posted:

Lol at Ian "canonically" dying at the watershed because that's where you first come across super mutants. If only he could sport some armor.

FO2 did the companion thing rather well I think. I always ended up with a posse. I might've beaten the game solo once or twice but I mean sheesh the first companion you come across is Sulik, how do you say no to that?

drat, nostalgy is kicking in. I'm installing FO2 today.

I've tried playing it a few times but I can never get past that intro temple thing, my god that's bad. It's an absolutely massive 'gently caress you' to any gun focused character.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mooktastical posted:

I've never seen that happen. I always loot a settlement, then scrap everything scrappable, THEN start using it, so It's entirely possible that containers will change their gear once that part of the exterior is unloaded/3 days pass. Still, assuming that's true, they're still safe as long as you loot their original contents first.

Default containers that always existed there can reset. Like the big chest in Hangman's Alley by the bed will eventually refill (and lose your stuff in the process). Safest to just scrap any containers and build new ones

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Best thing is trash can Carla will steal your power armour if it has a core in it and sanctuary comes under attack while she’s there and then you can’t ever get it back without reloading a save and she’ll just hang out in it all game

Console can fix that.

Open console, click the NPC, then type
CallFunction "Actor.SwitchToPowerArmor" None

And they'll get out of the armor. If you get "No script named Actor is attached to the object", you need to manually attach the Actor script to the NPC by typing "AttachPapyrusScript Actor"

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've tried playing it a few times but I can never get past that intro temple thing, my god that's bad. It's an absolutely massive 'gently caress you' to any gun focused character.

Just stab and back off each round, if you're a gun bunny you've got the agi for it. It's annoying but still only takes a few minutes to get through if you're not being a big baby about it

e: tho if that was your breaking point it's just as well, it's not like you get a decent gun or enough ammo to use it exclusively for a while anyway. I used the spear a lot through Klamath

Azhais fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 4, 2018

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Ironically I played fallout 4 on a console so I did not have access to console commands

Pro tip: if you can’t use console commands the way to fix the bug where the institute meeting won’t start after meeting with father on the roof of CIT is to go back up to the roof and fire an automatic weapon wildly at the spot where he teleports from. I call it the ‘Point Break Fix’

This works on both the xbone and ps4 versions

I have put way too many hours into this buggy mess

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah the intro is terrible but it's also not really that long. Even if you're an OCD kill everything type like me it should take you like 20 minutes.

... which is still less than FO3's poo poo opening.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The Fallout 4 companions bug me because they're always getting spotted and shot at while I'm trying to sneak, and the melee ones run in the way of my shots. Bonus points for Codsworth who is melee and also gigantic, so gets in the way even more.

I should probably just take the perk that gives you bonuses for not having a companion, but it feels kinda goony

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

The Fallout 4 companions bug me because they're always getting spotted and shot at while I'm trying to sneak, and the melee ones run in the way of my shots. Bonus points for Codsworth who is melee and also gigantic, so gets in the way even more.

I should probably just take the perk that gives you bonuses for not having a companion, but it feels kinda goony

I'd rather let Kate punch poo poo than sneak

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Woebin posted:

I will not have you besmirch the good name of my friend Lenny. :colbert:

Lenny's not bad. Incredibly tanky (highest hitpoints of any companion and the ability to wear power armour), a decent shot with pistols, and the high Doctor skill comes in handy every now and again. In terms of utility, I'd certainly take him over Myron or most of the non-human NPCs.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

This happened ~5 hours into my first play through, but at Red Rocket. Hilarious and frustrating.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

e: wrong loving thread

frajaq fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 4, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
have they ported Lily the companion to Fallout 4 yet? The wasteland feels so empty without her or Leo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In defense of my earlier comment, I normally run Rise of the Commonwealth, and I remember several times containers resetting or spawning new items, so I most likely conflated mod behavior with normal settlement behavior.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Samuel Clemens posted:

Fallout 2 companions could become murder machines if you equipped them properly and let them gain a few levels. It just took a lot of effort to get there.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas have the opposite problem where you sometimes wonder why you even bother to show up for a fight considering your pals have no trouble mowing down everything.
Bethesda's answer to leveling Super Mutants and dogs seemed to be "multiply their base HP by level" so Dogmeat and Fawkes ended up having 15000 HP. Fawkes even has 75% damage reduction on top of whatever armor value he has (without mods, it's 0) so it's more like 60000 HP in his case. And you can have both of them. They also heal 60% of health when they exit combat. The robot companion still sucks though

New Vegas was "significantly" more balanced by making the base HP of Rex, Lily, and ED-E low (and in ED-E's case, extremely low) but skills actually applied to them in New Vegas and unlike humans that aren't Boone (due to perception bug) their skills are uncapped so eventually they'll be doing 150-200 damage a hit. Boone's NPC-only equipment gave him a +1 PER bonus each time he wears a new piece of armor (which will eventually hard crash the game if you have him change armor 245 times) and Perception affects NPC auto-hit ratio and Energy Weapons beyond the weapon skill cap (because SPECIAL stats are uncapped for NPCs). Weapon restriction by companion was a concept floated around in development but never actually implemented, so if you gave him a gauss rifle or heavy plasma caster he will instagib everything at level 40+.

YUP removed the +1 PER bonus from his NPC-only hat and changed it to a base perk, preventing this bug from ever happening, but also preventing one of the many hardcrash conditions of the Morrowind engine from happening.

Companion damage in Fallout 4 is pitiful, though. They get versions of weapons that do half damage of widely available weapons (which makes sense because of infinite ammo) but have a 50% damage penalty. And unlike New Vegas, that damage modifier takes place before calculating armor. Dogmeat gets no damage bonus that non-companion dogs do so he will always do 2 damage.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
the damage nerf in FO4 makes a little bit of sense, since the companions never die and eventually resurrect themselves.

Still dumb, but I imagine they didnt want you to just guide a companion to a dungeon then leave to go eat dinner.