Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Companions as followers in four suck because they don't give you exp for kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Boone's NPC-only equipment gave him a +1 PER bonus each time he wears a new piece of armor (which will eventually hard crash the game if you have him change armor 245 times)

:psyduck:

I had no idea. That's just ... so beautifully insane. It's like a relic from 1990s programming.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Just finished Honest Hearts and coming from Dead Money it felt pretty lacking tbqh

I really liked Joshua Graham, but seems to me they ran out of time exploring the implications of Christianity in the setting. Shame, this would be a great use of the dialog quality of Dead Money.

Also, about it, it's peak obsidian: come for the characterization but don't stay for the gameplay, lol. By the time the game told me "YOU ARE GOING TO FACE FATHER ELIJAH" and there was still one more room with like 3 holograms and terminal hopping I just turned invulnerability on because I could not give one more actual gently caress to those

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I never actually finished New Vegas, and I've been slowly finishing it lately. Playing it again after 4 is so weird. Just like everyone else, I find it to be a huge downgrade in gameplay, and a huge upgrade in writing. Really not sure why you can't have both. 4 is incredibly shallow in comparison.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Nichael posted:

I never actually finished New Vegas, and I've been slowly finishing it lately. Playing it again after 4 is so weird. Just like everyone else, I find it to be a huge downgrade in gameplay, and a huge upgrade in writing. Really not sure why you can't have both. 4 is incredibly shallow in comparison.

obsidian made NV on a fairly tight time table and had to get strategic with how they allocated their money. they basically took the morrowind engine and associated limitations as a lost cause and spent all of their effort in making the actual plot of the game as engaging as possible.

beth has all the time and money they need to both improve the engine and come up with a compelling story, but instead they turned in some C- effort to "upgrade" the game play and wrote the entire story three days before the beta code got deployed to production.

like, i don't even know how fair it is to give credit to beth for the game play in 4 being nominally better. i think it's equally likely that FPS games in general improved between 2010 and 2015 and any perceived improvements in F4 were less intentional decisions and more just a happy coincidence because technology moved forward.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Vavrek posted:

I had no idea. That's just ... so beautifully insane. It's like a relic from 1990s programming.

That's because it is. Development on the engine for Morrowind would have begin in the 90s, every TES/Fallout game afterwards has been iterations on that same engine. Bethesda has tried to rebrand it as the Creation engine but everyone knows it's the same thing at heart, and familiarity with the engine is how the mod scene explodes so quickly with every new game.

There's some neat tricks you can do thanks to the engine heritage too, like nobody would have noticed Fortify Restoration being insanely powerful if it wasn't for how it behaved back in Morrowind.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

dead comedy forums posted:

Just finished Honest Hearts and coming from Dead Money it felt pretty lacking tbqh

I really liked Joshua Graham, but seems to me they ran out of time exploring the implications of Christianity in the setting. Shame, this would be a great use of the dialog quality of Dead Money.

My issue with Honest Hearts was that I'd never heard of Joshua Graham or the Burned Man and went into the questline interested to see how setting up a new caravan route would go, what negotiating trading rights would be like, etc., from the perspective as a guard/guide/scout. Cue repeated confusion and then mild disappointment with how the quest actually developed.

I wish I'd realized you could just shoot everyone when you first meet Graham. It would've fit my reaction to being roped into his plans. It is an interesting story with a good cast of characters, just ... not at all what I was expecting when I first played it.

Somebody mentioned in this thread that Honest Hearts was basically just The Mission, and thank you whoever you are for that. That movie is great and I hadn't seen it before.

fake edit:

isndl posted:

That's because it is. Development on the engine for Morrowind would have begin in the 90s, every TES/Fallout game afterwards has been iterations on that same engine. Bethesda has tried to rebrand it as the Creation engine but everyone knows it's the same thing at heart, and familiarity with the engine is how the mod scene explodes so quickly with every new game.

There's some neat tricks you can do thanks to the engine heritage too, like nobody would have noticed Fortify Restoration being insanely powerful if it wasn't for how it behaved back in Morrowind.

Oh, I'm well aware. I started playing Morrowind around 2002 or 3. Something about being a first-person 3d world, rather than something, top-down, isometric, or all sprite based makes me assume the programming does have the same quirks I associate with stuff from the mid 90s.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i think it's equally likely that FPS games in general improved between 2010 and 2015 and any perceived improvements in F4 were less intentional decisions and more just a happy coincidence because technology moved forward.

you are right in the sense that Bethesda had during the Fallout 4 dev period the collaboration of the FPS studios that Bethesda publisher acquired, which had (iirc and if I am not mistaken) the guys from machinehead studios and id giving some feedback and collaboration for the game

they could leave the gameplay to one of them, worldbuilding systems to the main studio and story/dialogue to guys like obsidian lol

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Vavrek posted:

Somebody mentioned in this thread that Honest Hearts was basically just The Mission, and thank you whoever you are for that.

That might very well have been rope kid himself, since he's a huge shill for the film. :v:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

That might very well have been rope kid himself, since he's a huge shill for the film. :v:

It's so good!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

dead comedy forums posted:

Also, about it, it's peak obsidian: come for the characterization but don't stay for the gameplay, lol. By the time the game told me "YOU ARE GOING TO FACE FATHER ELIJAH" and there was still one more room with like 3 holograms and terminal hopping I just turned invulnerability on because I could not give one more actual gently caress to those

Dead Money has some of the games best characters, but it also has the worst gameplay in all of new Vegas. Lots of ideas that I'm sure looked good on paper, but get very irritating extremely quickly.

Anyway, make sure you play Old World Blues next, it's great.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Anyway, make sure you play Old World Blues next, it's great.

Started it now, loving it hahaha

I really dig when games strive to be funny and quirky: even if it doesn't land consistently, it is such a change in attitude and perspective that is very refreshing from, well, almost everything out there tbqf

edit: loving lmao my character is a woman and I just installed the chip into the Sink central unit, "my creators didn't foresee that scenario" :laffo:

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 6, 2018

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Dead Money: Great writing, horrible gameplay.
Lonesone Road: Fast and smooth gameplay, gawd-awful writing.
Old World Blues: Funny writing, great gameworld.
Honest Hearts: decent writing, ho-hum gameplay.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think FO4 has flashes of good writing. Far Harbor, pretty much everything associated with Nick Valentine, and some of the early Diamond City/Piper stuff is good. There's a lot of ideas in FO4 I wish they had explored more, to the extent that I almost wish there was a game of just Nick Valentine doing detective work in the same setting.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nichael posted:

I think FO4 has flashes of good writing. Far Harbor, pretty much everything associated with Nick Valentine, and some of the early Diamond City/Piper stuff is good. There's a lot of ideas in FO4 I wish they had explored more, to the extent that I almost wish there was a game of just Nick Valentine doing detective work in the same setting.

I agree, and I would say a lot of the companion conversations are pretty good. Even Preston has kind of a cool arc of a guy who is so disillusioned with his lovely life he's borderline suicidal and only steps back from the brink because of your example. The trouble is this only comes through in direct conversation and not at all otherwise, so 95% of the time he's just the bog-standard good guy who adds garbage radiant quests to your mission log.

A lot of the early setup with the Institute being this ominous unknown is pretty good too, the first time I played they genuinely come off as creepy with all the paranoia they instill in the populace. They just.. didn't really stick the landing to put it kindly.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I agree, and I would say a lot of the companion conversations are pretty good. Even Preston has kind of a cool arc of a guy who is so disillusioned with his lovely life he's borderline suicidal and only steps back from the brink because of your example. The trouble is this only comes through in direct conversation and not at all otherwise, so 95% of the time he's just the bog-standard good guy who adds garbage radiant quests to your mission log.

A lot of the early setup with the Institute being this ominous unknown is pretty good too, the first time I played they genuinely come off as creepy with all the paranoia they instill in the populace. They just.. didn't really stick the landing to put it kindly.

There are a lot of neat ideas FO4 just straight up abandons. That includes the settlement system itself, which is a decent idea but is clearly unfinished. It's really frustrating.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
FO4 was initially planned to have a heavy focus on neonoir kind of things, thus Nick and the Silver Shroud and looking for the son and stuff like that, but then Todd Howard saw his son playing minecraft (this is seriously what he said, he loving said it in an actual interview) and decided it should be about settlements instead.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

FO4 was initially planned to have a heavy focus on neonoir kind of things, thus Nick and the Silver Shroud and looking for the son and stuff like that, but then Todd Howard saw his son playing minecraft (this is seriously what he said, he loving said it in an actual interview) and decided it should be about settlements instead.

:wtc:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Oh, Todd...

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're probably offering a rather uncharitable interpretation of what he said.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Let's find the quote.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've tried playing it a few times but I can never get past that intro temple thing, my god that's bad. It's an absolutely massive 'gently caress you' to any gun focused character.

That's the game telling you something. A monofocused gun bunny is going to be -terrible- all the early game because ammo doesn't get reliable nor do the guns get good until midgame.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Liquid Communism posted:

That's the game telling you something. A monofocused gun bunny is going to be -terrible- all the early game because ammo doesn't get reliable nor do the guns get good until midgame.

That's a little harsh. The pipe rifle you get sucks, but you get a pistol at the end of the first dungeon. You're pretty limited til you get a reliable source of ammo, but really it's only an issue in Klamath.

If you pretend the "find the trapper" mission doesn't exist until you get ammo it's not so bad :v:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Liquid Communism posted:

That's the game telling you something.

the game is telling me they hosed up and made the opening liquid garbage.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

jfood posted:

the game is telling me they hosed up and made the opening liquid garbage.

I remember reading an interview many, many years ago about this and apparently the whole temple set piece was forced in by the studio since they wanted a tutorial to run people through. The devs opposed it but were out voted so we're stuck with that stellar piece of game design for all eternity now. It can be an extremely frustrating experience, especially for new players, but at least it does teach you one thing: how to cheese your way through any situation. They never did bother to explain how a pseudo-Incan temple made it all the way to California.

The only time I ever tagged unarmed/melee skills was when I was doing a gimmick run and never really had much difficulty after the first time through (even when guns were my primary combat skill). Yeah it sucks but usually your totally inept guy can flail a spear around hard enough to kill what few ants and scorpions are present.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 6, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The slayer walks the earth, it's not a gimmick :argh:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Hitting someone hard enough that they slide across the map and off the screen is fun to watch right up until you realize that every fight in the game is going to be you spending 2/3 of it chasing them 8-12 steps at a time so you can finish the job...

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I like to play games like Fallout as a high charisma / speech kind of character so that tutorial was a huge loving pain in the rear end. Still made it through, eventually.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^ at least you can talk your way out of the final fight!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Hitting someone hard enough that they slide across the map and off the screen is fun to watch right up until you realize that every fight in the game is going to be you spending 2/3 of it chasing them 8-12 steps at a time so you can finish the job...

That's a fallout 1 issue, 2 is much less annoying. I started doing a melee guy in one but every single hit pushed them back one+ squares. Two I just murdered everything without hassle

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Azhais posted:

That's a little harsh. The pipe rifle you get sucks, but you get a pistol at the end of the first dungeon. You're pretty limited til you get a reliable source of ammo, but really it's only an issue in Klamath.

If you pretend the "find the trapper" mission doesn't exist until you get ammo it's not so bad :v:

I've literally never completed that mission, and I think I did the 'help the guy refill his moonshine still' one maybe once. Klamath just kind of sucks overall, there's very little worth doing there aside from grabbing Sulik, the car part and the 10mm and getting some free training from that guy in the bar.

The Den is where things start to pick up and you get some fun sidequests going.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm genuinely surprised so many people had trouble with the tutorial in Fallout 2, since you don't have to fight anything and can be done with the whole thing in about two minutes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm genuinely surprised so many people had trouble with the tutorial in Fallout 2, since you don't have to fight anything and can be done with the whole thing in about two minutes.

Yeah, you can just walk past everything if you're truly opposed to poking ants with sticks

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Discendo Vox posted:

Let's find the quote.

http://www.player.one/fallout-4-gameplay-news-todd-howard-explains-how-minecraft-influenced-new-crafting-487912

Well, at the very least minecraft influenced the crafting system.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

A bunch of the stuff included in 4 is variations on mods of NV, same as how stuff like weapon mods in NV is variations on mods from 3, and I wouldn't be surprised if they saw that NV settlements mod and thought that'd be good to put in.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Azhais posted:

Yeah, you can just walk past everything if you're truly opposed to poking ants with sticks

But..but all that loot and xp. :ohdear:

Can somebody explain me how "town reputation" in Fallout 2 is accumulated? I ran through Vault City twice with the same plot resolution and side content. Old character ended up barely "liked". This char got somehow "idolized"...
I even checked the town_rep variables in the F2SE tool. Both start at -5 (antipathy) but one ends with 17, the other 33.

There must be some strange reputation gain by looping Lynette's dialogue options.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

OutofSight posted:

But..but all that loot and xp. :ohdear:

Can somebody explain me how "town reputation" in Fallout 2 is accumulated? I ran through Vault City twice with the same plot resolution and side content. Old character ended up barely "liked". This char got somehow "idolized"...
I even checked the town_rep variables in the F2SE tool. Both start at -5 (antipathy) but one ends with 17, the other 33.

There must be some strange reputation gain by looping Lynette's dialogue options.

There definitely is. IIRC the only way to become head of Vault City security is to just repeatedly use the same complimentary dialogue choices with Lynette a dozen or so times until she promotes you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wolfsheim posted:

There definitely is. IIRC the only way to become head of Vault City security is to just repeatedly use the same complimentary dialogue choices with Lynette a dozen or so times until she promotes you.

It's easier with the restoration patch since it adds a few quests back in

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Garrand posted:

A bunch of the stuff included in 4 is variations on mods of NV, same as how stuff like weapon mods in NV is variations on mods from 3, and I wouldn't be surprised if they saw that NV settlements mod and thought that'd be good to put in.

The NV one was a port of a mod for 3 so it was a concept that had been around for a while.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vavrek posted:

Want to know something really cool? Power armor is just a reshaped Skyrim horse. Shares a lot of the movement quirks too!

The grandest payoff of the "horse armor" saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Want to know something really cool? Power armor is just a reshaped Skyrim horse. Shares a lot of the movement quirks too!

The grandest payoff of the "horse armor" saga.

:vince: