Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
edit: This question was answered on the last page, and pretty much how I expected it.

This was a shameful start to a new page, so I'd like to express that this is one of the most interesting threads in this whole subforum on account of the wonderfully realized world of Shadowrun. Cyberpunk is such a fantastic aesthetic - I think it really speaks to the anxieties incumbent in modern society.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We live in the worst, most boring of all possible Cyberpunk timelines. It's no wonder people like the genre so much.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I dont know posted:

It must suck to be a chicken shape shifter.

It's way preferable to being a regular chicken.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 14, 2018

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

People with lovely passwords will be the reason the bombs launch.

That or the Trump going on a tantrump

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'd like to know more about why Mages Inc. hate the elves so much. I know very little about Shadowrun, but I'd garnered that elves are generally very magically adept.

wiegieman posted:

We live in the worst, most boring of all possible Cyberpunk timelines. It's no wonder people like the genre so much.

We basically get all of the Immiserated Capitalist Dystopia with none of the Kickin' Rad Gadgets.

I actually saw another post on this forum, but in another thread, referencing some source where the popularity of cyberpunk, which was once huge, has dropped off massively due to the fact that the real world is starting to resemble it too much. It's not hard to see the similarities between the modern world and those types of chromed-out hellscapes, minus the cool bits.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd like to know more about why Mages Inc. hate the elves so much. I know very little about Shadowrun, but I'd garnered that elves are generally very magically adept.

The only things I know about Shadowrun come from this thread and the previous one, but since elves seem to be genetically predisposed towards smugness in every fantasy setting they pop up in, having ones that are powerful wizards and immortal too would make anyone hate them.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

JustJeff88 posted:

We basically get all of the Immiserated Capitalist Dystopia with none of the Kickin' Rad Gadgets.

I actually saw another post on this forum, but in another thread, referencing some source where the popularity of cyberpunk, which was once huge, has dropped off massively due to the fact that the real world is starting to resemble it too much. It's not hard to see the similarities between the modern world and those types of chromed-out hellscapes, minus the cool bits.

Unlike the dystopian future of the 1980s and early 1990s, ours is probably most shocking in its sheer _banality_. It is the ongoing triumph of managerial efficiency over inefficiency, viz. the entire human experience. Instead of mirrored shades, glittering chrome, and pumping synthwave, we got a wage slave stamping on a spreadsheet - forever.

White Coke posted:

The only things I know about Shadowrun come from this thread and the previous one, but since elves seem to be genetically predisposed towards smugness in every fantasy setting they pop up in, having ones that are powerful wizards and immortal too would make anyone hate them.

Understandable; if I lived in Shadowrun, I'm pretty sure that I'd want to kill a magical immortal wizard elf just on spec.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 14, 2018

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I started mildly dissociating at work the other night and mentally joked about it to myself as "Man, this download bait-and-switched me, this was supposed to be a simsense recording of a shadowrunner on a job, not 12 hours of 'wageslave assembles boxes'."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd like to know more about why Mages Inc. hate the elves so much.

A combination of them being some of the competition, and also knowing the Lodge exists. A great way to get yourself on the Black Lodge's hit list is for them to know that you're aware they exist without you being a member.It should be noted that the Lodge's membership is kind of absurdly huge for a magical org in Shadowrun. Part of this is that they're believed to be one of the few groups to retain a knowledge and practice of magic during the fifth world.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Elves (and when Elves are acting as a group, it's the Immortal Elves) are assholes who think everyone else deserves to be some kind of subservient animal at worst, and a second class citizen at best. Everybody kind of hates them, but the Black Lodge are competent and knowledgeable enough to get very insulted by that attitude.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

wiegieman posted:

However, even ten thousand magicians working together won't get you world domination in the Sixth World -- they're nowhere near as powerful as the megacorps.

The newest Shadowrun lore book had a run down of suspected Black Lodge members in the upper echelons of every AAA mega and a bunch of important nation states as presented by one of the magician shadowtalkers, so they're there in the background, plotting stuff and maliciously rubbing their hands together. At least, if I was reading that chapter right, most of it flew right over my head.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

David Corbett posted:

Unlike the dystopian future of the 1980s and early 1990s, ours is probably most shocking in its sheer _banality_. It is the ongoing triumph of managerial efficiency over inefficiency, viz. the entire human experience. Instead of mirrored shades, glittering chrome, and pumping synthwave, we got a wage slave stamping on a spreadsheet - forever.

We're lacking the punk part of cyberpunk, the counterculture fighting back against the banalities and petty tyrannies of the powers that be. Stuff like this:

Hairstyles and facepaint designed specifically to defeat the most commonly used facial-recognition algorithms.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

IMJack posted:

We're lacking the punk part of cyberpunk, the counterculture fighting back against the banalities and petty tyrannies of the powers that be. Stuff like this:

Hairstyles and facepaint designed specifically to defeat the most commonly used facial-recognition algorithms.

Cool as that is in concept, I am not gonna look THAT punchable

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

IMJack posted:

Of course you've defeated the facial-recognition camera but now every cop around is going to be keeping an eye on you.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not a fan of that mission personally. It felt like the GM has to let everyone know they're so goddamned clever by forcing you into a black box situation with crap party members; the "twist" would be just as memorable with your normal party (perhaps more so), but a normal party might not jump through all of these contrived hoops to reach the end so we have this instead.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Really, it’s our own drat fault for doing the exact thing that got Monika killed and working for a Johnson our fixer didn’t vet first.

Fixers are important, don’t neglect them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Fun Black Lodge Facts: The head of the Black Lodge is called the Penulimate Master. A title that raises obvious and ominous questions.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

White Coke posted:

My dude have you heard the good news about Glorantha? In it, Elves are literally trees and are the least smug creatures around.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Fun Black Lodge Facts: The head of the Black Lodge is called the Penulimate Master. A title that raises obvious and ominous questions.

Like why an organization that old still hasn't figured out what "Penultimate" means.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

If your elves aren't smug they aren't elves. In this case, they're trees.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Josef bugman posted:

My dude have you heard the good news about Glorantha? In it, Elves are literally trees and are the least smug creatures around.

Glorantha is great, and there's a darn good reason why LPs of King of Dragon Pass did so well here.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Holy hell that website draws from a truly baffling wellspring.

But yeah I don't think it's a real surprise that cyberpunk happened without the punk, the real world is pretty consistently boring compared to the fiction- that is the job of fiction after all, to be exciting. Also real evil functions like WalMart; you do things that are bad because they make you rich, but not that bad because you employ lots of people who aren't bad, and also have to have mass appeal. Aztechnology is not real so they don't have to deal with those limitations. Hence, cyberpunk without the extremes.

edit: p.s. I don't post a lot in this thread but I do read it a lot and the LP is :krad: and so are all the people who are super knowledgeable about Shadowrun. :five: all the way.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 14, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Dwarves, OTOH, are assholes.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

chiefnewo posted:

Of course you've defeated the facial-recognition camera but now every cop around is going to be keeping an eye on you.

Just tell you came from a [insert hipster music party]. I have seen people on goa festivals, who almost looked like those photos.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The Lone Badger posted:

Dwarves, OTOH, are assholes.

IIRC, the Mostali (dwarves) are immortals, basically automatons with a mechanical society, no sense of family, and their one goal is to repair the dead world machine. And to hunt down anyone who messes with them or steals their secrets.

Dwarves are not nice to have around.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Anticheese posted:

IIRC, the Mostali (dwarves) are immortals, basically automatons with a mechanical society, no sense of family, and their one goal is to repair the dead world machine. And to hunt down anyone who messes with them or steals their secrets.

Dwarves are not nice to have around.

Just sounds like the typical big megacorp with illusions of world domination in shadowrun/Google to me. Do they offer good healthcare?
Are they hiring?

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 14, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

OutofSight posted:

Just sounds like the typical big megacorp with illusions of world domination in shadowrun/Google in irl to me. Do they offer good healthcare?
Are they hiring?

They will return any behaviour you have towards them in kind. If you "positive" them, they will "positive" you/try to help you back.

You do not want to know what happens if you piss them off...So, yeah, pretty megacorpy again.

Also, don't eat the dwarf food.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

HeroQuest and Shadowrun are both great games, but they're such polar opposites that it's hard to compare them. HQ is about telling big mythical stories, and SR is about telling action-y personal ones.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

wiegieman posted:

HeroQuest and Shadowrun are both great games, but they're such polar opposites that it's hard to compare them. HQ is about telling big mythical stories, and SR is about telling action-y personal ones.

I mean often big mythological ones can be combined to make personal ones, but I understand.

It is the only setting where dragons are more powerful than shadowrun though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Not to bring this thread too much into Glorantha, but wasn't there a society in-setting that (IIRC) made a giant (as in, a race of creatures that are pretty big) birthing-then-killing machine to exploit the fact that they almost always dropped rare loot?

I think they were called the God Learners...?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I mean, we do have the kickin' rad gadgets, though. They're called smartphones, iPads and drones, and they'd have blown the minds of people playing OG first release Shadowrun in 1989.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HardDiskD posted:

Not to bring this thread too much into Glorantha, but wasn't there a society in-setting that (IIRC) made a giant (as in, a race of creatures that are pretty big) birthing-then-killing machine to exploit the fact that they almost always dropped rare loot?

I think they were called the God Learners...?

Sort of. They built a place called Rob-cradle a settlement built to break down the gigantic ships the giants were sending to the ocean with their kids. They then killed the giant baby and any associated helpers, took over the cradle and stole all the magical artefacts. When the giants found out this was happening they are not pleased and proceed to flatten the entire place with extreme prejudice.

The God Learners were kind of like if people like Jordan Peterson got access to cosmic power. They were convinced that everything could and should be catalogued and that everything fitted neatly into prearranged patterns so there was no difference between all the Sky Fathers and Earth Mothers so it was fine to swap them around. This ended poorly for them.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 14, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Their name comes from the fact that they were a society of the worst kind of min-maxers and imperialists you could hope to dream up. See, in Glorantha, the gods and their deeds are real. Getting totally smashed and reenacting them while powered up on magic will transport you to the god-plane, where the quester will gain a greater appreciation for their faith, and usually some kind of reward on a successful completion.

This gets a little tricker because in Glorantha, things can be many things. Orlanth the chief of the Storm Tribe of gods, wind, thunder, a wise king, an impudent rebel, and I'm pretty sure a lion in some cultures. All of these things are literally and simultaneously true, which led the God Learners to try and figure this stuff out by plundering many cultures for their sacred myths so they could construct a unified theory of religion (amongst other things).

The problem, colonialism aside, is that Glorantha just doesn't work that way. On top of messing things up by trying to prove some Earth goddesses were the same by swapping them around in a story (as one blog puts it, one region suffered crippling divorce rates, and the other a terrible famine), they had the kind of hubris that led them to thinking it would be A-OK to mass-produce sacred artifacts (like the one true sword, which is Death and also maybe literally the god of death), they raised up a mechanical god of their own making.

By doing this, the God Learners messed things up so badly that on top of them sending the world into chaos with their meddling and fundamental misunderstanding of how the universe worked, the real gods basically broke the rules keeping them out of mortal time and space to personally nuke them.

And that, dear reader, is why you shouldn't minmax unless everyone at the table is on board with your style of play.

Half-remembered Glorantha lore is amazingly fun to write about when you're super tired.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Like why an organization that old still hasn't figured out what "Penultimate" means.

If I ran an evil organization, I would definitely call myself "Number Two" or something similar just to gently caress with people and keep them guessing who the REAL leader is.

I mean hell, The Prisoner comic follow up implies that's exactly what was happening in that show.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 14, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Who does Number Two work for?

Edit: Some of the supposed facial recognition defeating paint is a lot more cyberpunk, though.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 14, 2018

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

chiasaur11 posted:

They know exactly what it means. Hence the ominous and obvious question being, among others "So who's the ultimate master then?"

There, I've explained the post, thus killing it. Good job.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Who does Number Two work for?

Edit: Some of the supposed facial recognition defeating paint is a lot more cyberpunk, though.

I really like the one on the right because you can see it being done by a futuristic machine or robot that generates a random pattern every time to make it useless for the recognition software to save your face for future comparison.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I think the (goofy but cool) cyberpunk face-detection makeup has already been supersede and obsoleted by some hats with built in LEDs and a little computer that can project light onto the wearer's face in such a way as to replicate any other face it has in its database. I think the article I glanced at said it could already reliably fool face recognition software, which is pretty wicked.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's not cyberpunk unless you're live hacking every camera in a 500m radius as you walk down the block :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Roll disguise."
Several exploding 6s later...
"Your baffling make-up causes a stack overflow in the surveillance software and shorts out the entire system."