Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

which would win, chummy liar or one flappy boi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jfc our country is a disgrace :cripes:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/FrankJannuzi/status/999677158808211456?s=19

#winning

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYNpgXBLawc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

if you'd like some levity, here's an article that details how uber's car killed the woman in arizona. It absolutely saw her, but the software couldn't figure out what she was and misidentified her three times. Finally, the software knew a second and a half early that collision was imminent and that emergency braking should be performed, but this was disabled under autonomous mode to prevent from erratic braking. The car had no way to notify the driver that he needed to brake immediately so it just kept driving as if nothing was going on.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/HWY18MH010-prelim.pdf

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Fister Roboto posted:

jfc our country is a disgrace :cripes:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

if you'd like some levity, here's an article that details how uber's car killed the woman in arizona. It absolutely saw her, but the software couldn't figure out what she was and misidentified her three times. Finally, the software knew a second and a half early that collision was imminent and that emergency braking should be performed, but this was disabled under autonomous mode to prevent from erratic braking. The car had no way to notify the driver that he needed to brake immediately so it just kept driving as if nothing was going on.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/HWY18MH010-prelim.pdf

It wasn't that the car didn't have a way to notify the driver but "the system is not designed to alert the operator." So yeah, while the car was driving itself, emergency braking was disabled because Uber didn't want unwarranted braking ruining their self-driving experience.

Uber had everything in place to prevent this accident but disabled it all and nothing in place to make the human operator aware the system sees a threat the operator might not.

This woman would be alive were it not for Uber's negligence (no, maybe not legally negligent but in a plain english explanation, they totally were).

I will never set foot in any Uber self-driving vehicle.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The disabled built in volvo safety features would have stopped the car or at least slowed it down significantly and possibly saved the woman's life, but uber couldn't get it's software to stop engaging those systems every time a plastic bag blew by so they disabled them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thwomp posted:

It wasn't that the car didn't have a way to notify the driver but "the system is not designed to alert the operator." So yeah, while the car was driving itself, emergency braking was disabled because Uber didn't want unwarranted braking ruining their self-driving experience.

Uber had everything in place to prevent this accident but disabled it all and nothing in place to make the human operator aware the system sees a threat the operator might not.

This woman would be alive were it not for Uber's negligence (no, maybe not legally negligent but in a plain english explanation, they totally were).

I will never set foot in any Uber self-driving vehicle.

seems like it's safer in one than not

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

The disabled built in volvo safety features would have stopped the car or at least slowed it down significantly and possibly saved the woman's life, but uber couldn't get it's software to stop engaging those systems every time a plastic bag blew by so they disabled them.

Then Uber shouldn't have put vehicles on the road until they got their software to the point where it could determine the difference between an inanimate bag and a living human being.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/kpfallon/status/999394925476286464

This interview just ruined my image of most of the AD crew

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thwomp posted:

Then Uber shouldn't have put vehicles on the road until they got their software to the point where it could determine the difference between an inanimate bag and a living human being.

It's because self driving cars are decades away, but if they don't put on the charade they'll stop getting venture capital dollars :ssh:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the lady just casually strolled out into the middle of a highway and while the driving software hosed up its not like a human that is spaced out listening to music wouldn't have run her over either.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Eej posted:

In my head Portia de Rossi saunters over to Jason Bateman and backhands him. Alas she wasn’t there. Good on the actress who plays Maebe though.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Eej posted:

my wife was talking about this yesterday, hollywood is full of loving tools

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Like waymo has arguably some of the best self driving tech out there as they stole most of it from google and have actually worked to improve it. For their self driving cars to work they need detailed maps of anyplace they're going to drive, they drive on specific pre-planned routes, and they have to basically ignore any objects they detect because the system cannot actually interpret them and slams on the brakes erratically. This was one of Clarkson's complaints on TGT when he drove another Tesla.

Computers are very loving good at crunching numbers. Insanely good at it, in fact. Better than any human could ever hope to be because their architecture is set up entirely for that purpose. Human cognition is a completely different beast. Human brains can process rapidly changing images in diverse environments and apply previously learned rules effortlessly. Computer recognition/response is nowhere near as capable. And it isn't a matter of horsepower. Animal cognition isn't something that can be outlined in an algorithm as it's a mishmash of evolutionary responses developed over billions of years. We're decades from being able to hop in a car and say "go somewhere" and it does so, if we ever get there at all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the lady just casually strolled out into the middle of a highway and while the driving software hosed up its not like a human that is spaced out listening to music wouldn't have run her over either.

It wasn't a highway. It was a 45mph road in a well lit area. The car was going 43mph. The human driver did see them last second and reacted. The installed volvo system, if it had been enabled, would have either prevented the accident or mitigated it entirely. This was on the second lap of a pre-defined course and the driver is required to also constantly monitor an LCD on the dash that has any error messages that might pop up (none did in this case). The driver was probably a bit negligent and wasn't paying attention as much as she should have. If someone had been driving a regular volvo down the road at 43mph, the car would have braked even if the driver wasn't paying attention and the pedestrian would probably still be alive today.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Eej posted:

loving same.

Like the only one who says it wasn't acceptable was Alia Shawkat

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The solution to self driving cars isn't to make them perfect, its to make highways digital train tracks for self driving cars that can form up into a convoy of sorts, a group of cars going the same speed with equal spacing.

Self driving cars on highways can eliminate a majority of traffic jams due to synchronized breaking and acceleration.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 24, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
unexpected emergency breaking might cause me to cut myself shaving

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

UAW filed an NLRB claim against Elon Musk today for his tweet meltdown where he threatened worker's stock options if they unionized.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It's me. I'm one of the thousands of people jamming into this website to buy a NK summit challenge coin.

https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com/product-p/summitcoin.htm

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The solution to self driving cars isn't to make them perfect, its to make highways digital train tracks for self driving cars that can form up into a convoy of sorts, a group of cars going the same speed with equal spacing.

Nah brah, that's loving dumb. You see, as a BMW driver, I must pass every car in front of me, even if it means changing lanes without signaling and by constantly accelerating.

Eej posted:

Yeah when I saw this pop on Jezebel, I immediately thought "ok, maybe they're blowing it out of proportion."

Nope, they're all assholes here. Jessica Waters has been great in just about everything she's done and it's lovely to see them defend that bullshit.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The thing that pisses me off about Arrested Development is how many people in the world are complete push overs and don't stand up to assholes wow a costar is making another costar cry but i'm not gonna interfere :ohdear:

PookBear fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 24, 2018

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Self driving cars on highways can eliminate a majority of traffic jams due to synchronized breaking and acceleration.

So the woman can get run over six times instead of once.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

joat mon posted:

So the woman can get run over six times instead of once.

Don't run out in front of traffic on a highway?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

I had heard from an bar buddy decades ago that he’s actually closeted homosexual (he sat next to him in a first class airline section and had to reject his advances) so I refuse to believe these.

inignot posted:

I could swear I remember a goon once posting that Morgan Freeman grabbed his rear end when they were on a plane together, then wrote him an apology note on a napkin.

I guess this is like, his Thing

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Leave my freedom alone, commie

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Re: self driving train track cars. Yeah there’s no way that information could be abused by anyone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

She didn't run into traffic on a highway. It was a 45mph zone in a well lit area. The pedestrian crossed an entire lane of traffic and was seen by basically every sensor. This would not have necessarily been a fatality or even an accident at all if uber's software wasn't there.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

It wasn't a highway. It was a 45mph road in a well lit area. The car was going 43mph. The human driver did see them last second and reacted. The installed volvo system, if it had been enabled, would have either prevented the accident or mitigated it entirely. This was on the second lap of a pre-defined course and the driver is required to also constantly monitor an LCD on the dash that has any error messages that might pop up (none did in this case). The driver was probably a bit negligent and wasn't paying attention as much as she should have. If someone had been driving a regular volvo down the road at 43mph, the car would have braked even if the driver wasn't paying attention and the pedestrian would probably still be alive today.

The fault of this accident isn't entirely the vehicle operators or Uber's though. The pedestrian shares part of the blame and we shouldn't ignore that. The report states the woman was crossing wearing dark clothing, in a spot not directly lit by the roadway lighting, did not have any side reflectors on her bike, was 360 ft away from the nearest crosswalk despite signs instructing people to cross only at crosswalks and had methamphetamine in her system at the time of the accident.

In those circumstances it might have been difficult for most human drivers to react until it was too late. If the Volvo automated systems were working instead of disabled then it surely could have helped mitigate the crash if not stopped it entirely. At the very least Uber should have had some system warning the driver to start emergency breaking if an imminent collision was detected. It is important to note though that the vehicle decided that emergency breaking was necessary 1.3 seconds before the impact leaving little time to react even if it had notified the driver.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Except bicycles aren't pedestrians and don't use crosswalks.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

Except bicycles aren't pedestrians and don't use crosswalks.

They are when you are walking them across the street perpendicular to traffic. She wasn't riding it or following the flow of traffic.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Gotcha.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

She didn't run into traffic on a highway. It was a 45mph zone in a well lit area. The pedestrian crossed an entire lane of traffic and was seen by basically every sensor. This would not have necessarily been a fatality or even an accident at all if uber's software wasn't there.

That's not what he was responding to. He was talking to the person suggesting a highway with chains of self driving cars would run over that woman 6 times instead of once

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mr. Nice! posted:

UAW filed an NLRB claim against Elon Musk today for his tweet meltdown where he threatened worker's stock options if they unionized.

Haha, sweet. Same thing happened to John DeLorian when his manufacturing plant went tits up.

I still say peak 2018 would be Musk getting pinched by the FBI in a coke sting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

At the time she was walking her bike, and was a pedestrian. Arizona statute does not give pedestrians blanket right of way, but the nature of the crossing because she was not abruptly stepping from a curb in front of the car and was crossing from the opposite side (she went through a lane of travel before the uber hit her). I'm not an AZ lawyer so I can't speculate for sure, but there isn't necessarily a presumption of fault on the pedestrian. The statute does seem to give some leeway for crossing the road not at a crosswalk if you're coming from the opposite side.

This was a 100% avoidable death by Uber. Uber's self driving technology is the proximate cause of the woman's death.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t think you guys are going to agree on the small details of the crash but maybe we can just agree that self driving cars aren’t ready for mass production and the technology still needs to be improved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
it sure didnt take long for this to turn into 'to which degree the woman deserved her death'

• Locked thread