Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Eej posted:

I forgot that while he was stanning for Gamergate he told Anita Sarkeesian that the endless amounts of death threats she got for making YouTube videos applying Feminist Critique 101 to video games don't matter cause she's not dead yet.

God what a tool

I feel bad in that I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone and I feel for his family.

But man, what a prick.

EDIT: lol, apparently I was blocked by him on Twitter...which is odd since I have a private account and to my knowledge, have never tweeted anything at him. Probably cause I followed Anita Sarkeesian or something lol.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Harvey Weinstein surrendered to the NYPD a few hours ago.

NY Times posted:

He was processed at the station house, the First Police Precinct, and will be arraigned in court on charges of first-degree rape and third-degree rape in one case, and first-degree criminal sex act in another, law enforcement officials said.

https://nyti.ms/2x8Opsl

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

mlmp08 posted:

There's a decent Reply All episode where they address this. Their conclusion is that while it's nigh-impossible to prove a negative, it is far more likely that very carefully crafted algorithms make such spying unnecessary. Even if you never, ever searched for a thing, but talked about it with friends, if your friends look it up, it may reasonably decide to show you an ad for it as well.

A guy at work started having ads show up on facebook for books related to topics we were talking about at work, despite him never using social media at work or searching for it himself. But he was facebook friends with people who were geolocated at his place of work, had the same work/leisure hours as him, and they had been searching for such things. So he was/is convinced that Facebook listened to his work conversations via phone, but I find it less likely. As for governments or other spy types, lol, who knows, just assume the worst.

Well I looked into the texting apps permissions afterwards and it mentioned using data for ads so it was pretty blatant

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Well I looked into the texting apps permissions afterwards and it mentioned using data for ads so it was pretty blatant

Oh lol. What lovely app was that?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

psydude posted:

Don't worry, your smart phone is listening to everything you say and do, too.

A N R O I D
N
R
O
I
D

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
For years I tried to get google to send me ads for gay jewish singles but it never did.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

BigDave posted:

Harvey Weinstein surrendered to the NYPD a few hours ago.

https://nyti.ms/2x8Opsl

that is so disappointing

I was hoping he'd go on the run so I could :bustem:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

mlmp08 posted:

Oh lol. What lovely app was that?

Textra. Funny that when Android changed how permissions worked that part went away.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

I was hoping he'd go on the run so I could :bustem:

From the looks of it, he hasn't been on a run in a long time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://twitter.com/POLITICOMag/status/999618545259614208

https://twitter.com/WTHRcom/status/1000006987533479938

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
dudes spend years in Rikers for suspicion of petty theft because they dont have $500 for bail. Weinstein is a loving monster and will literally never see it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
After all these school shootings women still don't understand stop withholding sex, geez

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

From the looks of it, he hasn't been on a run in a long time.

He was looking a little slimmer at the arraignment hearing. Probably laid off the baby back baby ribs for a couple of months.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/25/us/indiana-school-shots-fired/index.html

Someone shot up a middle school in Indiana. Two wounded, no fatalities, shooter in custody.

We need one of those 'x days without a accident' counters, but for school shootings.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

BigDave posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/25/us/indiana-school-shots-fired/index.html

Someone shot up a middle school in Indiana. Two wounded, no fatalities, shooter in custody.

We need one of those 'x days without a accident' counters, but for school shootings.

I haven't found one for school shootings specifically, but there's one for mass shootings in general.

edit: for all of your :smithicide: needs: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/02/us/school-shootings-2018-list-trnd/index.html

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 25, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Two Scoops spoke at the Naval Academy commencement, and told them "We're respected again" thanks to him. Just a few days short of his peace talks that were never going to happen blowing up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm glad Mattis came to the AFA graduation instead of Trumple Orangeskin, or Pence. Mattis stayed for the NORAD CoC yesterday too. Haven't seen crazy motorcades or poo poo in town, no monstrous traffic fuckups, just blips in the news.

Way less hassle than when Pence comes to town to dick around at Focus on the Family.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

Two Scoops spoke at the Naval Academy commencement, and told them "We're respected again" thanks to him. Just a few days short of his peace talks that were never going to happen blowing up.

Well, don't make the mistake that he means the country, as it's obvious he doesn't care. He means himself, and he means he's on TV a lot

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mattis is putting out that the NK summit may be back on

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Mattis is putting out that the NK summit may be back on

I will believe when the three leaders are in a room together in Singapore. Wouldn't trust this thing to be on even if Air Force One hits the tarmac in Asia.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
They need to keep it a secret from Trump if they want to do anything. Like, I'm not even joking.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe they could get some other asian guy or maybe a guy with dark hair (cardboard cutout maybe, or a TV recoding???) and let trump scream at him for a bit while some grownups do the real poo poo. So really the hard part will be finding someone qualified in the administration.... Lol oh well

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

mlmp08 posted:

There's a decent Reply All episode where they address this. Their conclusion is that while it's nigh-impossible to prove a negative, it is far more likely that very carefully crafted algorithms make such spying unnecessary. Even if you never, ever searched for a thing, but talked about it with friends, if your friends look it up, it may reasonably decide to show you an ad for it as well.

A guy at work started having ads show up on facebook for books related to topics we were talking about at work, despite him never using social media at work or searching for it himself. But he was facebook friends with people who were geolocated at his place of work, had the same work/leisure hours as him, and they had been searching for such things. So he was/is convinced that Facebook listened to his work conversations via phone, but I find it less likely. As for governments or other spy types, lol, who knows, just assume the worst.

Passive listening tech for the purposes of ad targeting exist.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

holocaust bloopers posted:

Passive listening tech for the purposes of ad targeting exist.

Yes, but within the context of (in this case), Facebook doing it, it's mostly conspiracy theory. There's no evidence that it exists in practice, it's usually explainable in other ways, and if it were the go-to method of advertising, it'd likely have leaked by now from either a whistle-blower, some outside group like the Cambridge Analytical scandal, or hacktivists.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Best part is all the unfathomably stupid people that are going to fall all over themselves to suck Trump's dick about how he BIGLY MAGA'd and 57th dimensional chess Art of the Deal'd his way into giving Kim everything he wants by being able to say he forced the president into a meeting in exchange for the Trumpster fire getting his name on the TV again.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Sounds like the low school shooting body count in Indiana was the result of a hero.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1000070737569505280

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
BY GAWD! IT’S THE GOOD GUY WITH A TACKLE!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’ll say this much about Facebook and their relationship to advertisers—it’s very one-sided. They do not hand over any data or anything beyond basic measurements. FB is extremely cagey about literally everything.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1000016033799966720?s=19

:thunk:

And something less gross and just hilarious:

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1000026541521125376?s=19

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I want to know how many people didn't initially see that a "pizzantica_anus".

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

holocaust bloopers posted:

I’ll say this much about Facebook and their relationship to advertisers—it’s very one-sided. They do not hand over any data or anything beyond basic measurements. FB is extremely cagey about literally everything.

Cambridge Analytica disagrees, unless I'm misunderstanding that ordeal, which is likely.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

mods change my name posted:

Cambridge Analytica disagrees, unless I'm misunderstanding that ordeal, which is likely.

Nah Facebook handed over a loooooot of really specific data there

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they had a perfect opportunity to put the ring on there, but they didn't

travesty

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
HEY GUYS BEFORE YOU READ MY POSTS JUST KNOW I HAVE UPDATED MY PRIVACY POLICY!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mods change my name posted:

IIRC, Cambridge Analytica wasn't actually an advertiser. They created an application that let you take a quiz, which then scooped your information off of your profile page and sent it to them. This, in and of itself, was a violation of Facebook's TOS. They then went a step further and used that information to target political advertisements. If they have been doing overt work solely as a political advertiser, they wouldn't have been given access to the same level of information.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

HEY GUYS BEFORE YOU READ MY POSTS JUST KNOW I HAVE UPDATED MY PRIVACY POLICY!

My posts, GDPR, and you

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

psydude posted:

IIRC, Cambridge Analytica wasn't actually an advertiser. They created an application that let you take a quiz, which then scooped your information off of your profile page and sent it to them. This, in and of itself, was a violation of Facebook's TOS. They then went a step further and used that information to target political advertisements. If they have been doing overt work solely as a political advertiser, they wouldn't have been given access to the same level of information.

Yea this

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Few months ago I was talking to someone on the phone about elderly caregiving, something that I have never talked about before or since, and within 5 minutes I had a pop up advertising elderly caregiving services. poo poo's weird yo.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Thanks psydude and Holly, I was more under the impression that fb was more complicit, but with all the vast amount of poo poo going on I didn't give the CA thing much in the way of brainspace during the day or two that people cared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Can we talk again about how ICE lost almost 1500 kids and has no idea where they are?

• Locked thread