Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

There's nothing wrong with the idea, it just needs to be toned down.

Oh definitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I hated Kaga and ran from him every time, but I have to admit that it was satisfying to finally blow him to pulp with my cool Advanced Weaponry I got from the Sierra Army Depot

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Skim Milk posted:

I'm dumb and watched MATN's video and also I'm extra dumb and now want to play FO3. What are the bare minimum mods to play FO3 ityool 2018? Mostly looking for QoL/Visual/Bug-fix stuff and maybe some basic balance fixes

p.s. I have a poo poo PC (geforce 750m)

FO3 and NV run decently on my Radeon R4, so you should be fine barring mods that actually make FO3 not ugly, or ones that overpopulate the Wastes. The game does have issues with Win 10; ToTW with NV crash prevention mods is what I think most people use to get around Win 10 issues.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tale of Two Wastelands also means when you get tired of DC you're just a train ride away from New Vegas.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I refuse to run TTW because competent and reliable public transit in the american west breaks my immersion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If public transit is your bugbear you're missing out on trainwhiz Vegas railroads mod.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

aww man my game glitched out after killing the gently caress out of the slaver's guild because I buried anne's bones

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a fix for the blurred screen edges bug in Fallout 4 during conversations? I know about the enter/exit power armor trick, but it's not working.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

If public transit is your bugbear you're missing out on trainwhiz Vegas railroads mod.

Nah the issue was western America having good public transport. Scandinavia having good public transport is perfectly realistic.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

I refuse to run TTW because competent and reliable public transit in the american west breaks my immersion.
It works because nobody is staffing the trains.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

8one6 posted:

Tale of Two Wastelands also means when you get tired of DC you're just a train ride away from New Vegas.

This is unironically the best part. If you want to kill a lot of things with no consequence and wander aimlessly from place to place, you go to the capital wasteland. If you want to actually have an effect on a story and make role playing decisions, you go to the Mojave. They make for an unexpected Yin and Yang of Fallout.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Where can I find a steady supply of 5mm ammo for Marcus and myself? I can't quit his minigun, I just saw him shred 3 raiders with it. Also in the restoration patch I'm using whatever ammo mod is the default. How should that affect my decision making on what ammo to load for 5mm because I wanna use miniguns as soon as I got power armour equipped until the end of the game.

Also without breaking immersion and just going to Navarro, when do I end up getting said power armour?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Viva Miriya posted:

Where can I find a steady supply of 5mm ammo for Marcus and myself?

The merchants in the NCR and San Francisco should have quite a bit of 5mm ammo and restock every few days.

Viva Miriya posted:

Also without breaking immersion and just going to Navarro, when do I end up getting said power armour?

In Navarro.

You can find a weaker version of power armour in the Military Base to the west of NCR.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

The merchants in the NCR and San Francisco should have quite a bit of 5mm ammo and restock every few days.

In Navarro.

You can find a weaker version of power armour in the Military Base to the west of NCR.

Gotcha. Cool Mariposa here I come.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Neurolimal posted:

In fairness when you get in the train for the first time it does flash up with a "six years later" intertitle before playing the New Vegas intro cutscene, which sounds about right for US public transport.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm really enjoying Far Harbour. They put way more effort into this DLC than the entire base game. Watching the Mariner slowly build the Hull up was great. And the soundtrack's ambient tracks are even better than the base game. Inon Zur laced a lot of motifs from the New Vegas score into the Far Harbour ambience.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Boy howdy is killing Wanamingos unarmed the most tedious thing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm really enjoying Far Harbour. They put way more effort into this DLC than the entire base game. Watching the Mariner slowly build the Hull up was great. And the soundtrack's ambient tracks are even better than the base game. Inon Zur laced a lot of motifs from the New Vegas score into the Far Harbour ambience.

Far Harbor was a legitimately great DLC and it's disappointing that Nuka World was so bleh in comparison.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Far Harbor is the best reason to be disappointed with Fallout 4. In most ways it's mechanically very similar to FO4. It shows that FO4 could have been an absolutely fantastic game, and that Bethesda has the staff to have done it. For whatever reason it didn't happen, though, and so FO4 is mostly just radiant quests to kill the orks in the dungeon and return to NPC.

And yeah, I think that's Inon Zur's best work. I legitimately liked parts of FO3's ambient tracks which I know is not a universal opinion, but the Far Harbor OST fits the theme of the place really well. I particularly like this one

Mantis42 posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

aniviron posted:

And yeah, I think that's Inon Zur's best work. I legitimately liked parts of FO3's ambient tracks which I know is not a universal opinion, but the Far Harbor OST fits the theme of the place really well. I particularly like this one

In Far Harbor, you can hear the opening motif from the New Vegas theme here at 0:35 seconds.

Personally I think New Vegas is still his best work, specifically because of this track and its remix as well as the credits theme. Of course New Vegas also has the advantage of taking the best of Mark Morgan's original soundtracks plus all of Inon Zur's great ambient tracks to make a game that just bleeds atmosphere.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

You definitely shouldn't fight them unarmed until you've got at least a Power Fist. Their DT is crazy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I wiki'd to refresh my mind on what wanamingos are, and in doing so I'd like to remind/tell everyone that mutant wanamingos were cut from Fallout 3, and they were going to leave giant turds embedded with ammo and rings.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

In Far Harbor, you can hear the opening motif from the New Vegas theme here at 0:35 seconds.

Personally I think New Vegas is still his best work, specifically because of this track and its remix as well as the credits theme. Of course New Vegas also has the advantage of taking the best of Mark Morgan's original soundtracks plus all of Inon Zur's great ambient tracks to make a game that just bleeds atmosphere.

You reminded me that New Vegas has different tracks for what your karma level is. Karma has almost no impact on the game most of the time, and it's honestly hard to have poor karma unless you go out of your way to try for it thanks to ghouls and fiends. But the bad karma tracks are so good! And this is such a good idea, one that I've never seen (or heard, rather) another game do. The ambient tracks really do colour the mood of the game. And yeah, that first track you linked, Out of Business is drat fine. The piano at 45ish seconds in really nails the mood.

We're relatively lucky I suppose to be so spoiled for music in this franchise. Morgan's work is fantastic in FO1 & 2, Zur does a good job in NV & 3, and in both of those we also have the radio.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, was Bethesda's development team kidnapped and replaced by synths when Far Harbor was made? I just did a main story quest that involved no combat and then reconfigured the settlement building system into a puzzle mechanic with some really clever level design. This is not the Bethesda MO, and I'm loving it.

I think I need a moment. Like, everything about this DLC is superior to the base game in every conceivable manner. It looks at the runaway synth concept without the idiocy of the Railroad. It has creepy monsters and only occasionally resorts to using super mutants and ghouls rather than constantly doing it. The guns are great, the treasure hunts are great, there is actual, honest to god roleplaying going on here where you need to make judgement calls based on personal beliefs and morality. There's even a legitimate bad guy in the form of the Children of Atom and yet even they get more fleshing out here.

What is it with Bethesda and having all their best content being set on islands, anyways?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 28, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay, was Bethesda's development team kidnapped and replaced by synths when Far Harbor was made? I just did a main story quest that involved no combat and then reconfigured the settlement building system into a puzzle mechanic with some really clever level design. This is not the Bethesda MO, and I'm loving it.

I think I need a moment. Like, everything about this DLC is superior to the base game in every conceivable manner. It looks at the runaway synth concept without the idiocy of the Railroad. It has creepy monsters and only occasionally resorts to using super mutants and ghouls rather than constantly doing it. The guns are great, the treasure hunts are great, there is actual, honest to god roleplaying going on here where you need to make judgement calls based on personal beliefs and morality. There's even a legitimate bad guy in the form of the Children of Atom and yet even they get more fleshing out here.

What the hell is going on?

I almost wonder if Far Harbor was kind of an experiment, like "okay, we'll do an expansion that's as close to classic Fallout as it gets and then another that's basically a shooting gallery theme park with more settlement stuff tacked on and see which gets better reviews/sales." Since they haven't done anything since except the creation club that's probably not a great sign, though at some point after I do recall them acknowledging that they really regret not putting more real quests in F4 so who knows :shrug:

I do think Bethesda listens to their fans though, since a lot of the mechanics they put in F4 are pretty big quality-of-life mods people made for F3/NV, and they did try to do more with the story; one of the biggest criticisms of F3 is that you're forced to work with your dad and the BoS regardless of what kind of character you're playing, and while F4 is also pretty on-rails, the ending is pretty open-ended with the amount of double and triple-crossing you can pull off and it lets you kill off every major faction leader (the Minutemen don't count) as soon as you meet them, which is kind of surprising in a Bethesda game given...every other Bethesda game between this one and Morrowind.

The actual quality of that story is a different matter entirely, but hey, Fallout 2's main plot features talking deathclaws and your hometown shaman telepathically giving you updates through your dreams; take away the big fun sandbox of freeform sidequests and regional conflicts and F2 is just as absurd as anything happening with the Institute and baby Shaun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It really makes me wonder where fallout can go from here. Despite my desire for another Obsidian game, I don't know what else you could do on the west coast short of having the NCR collapse into a civil war. On the other side of the country you have the brotherhood in ascendancy but then you're just repeating the enclave plot again.

Fallout could use some new eyes, or at least keep to smaller one off stories like far harbor.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Wolfsheim posted:

The actual quality of that story is a different matter entirely, but hey, Fallout 2's main plot features talking deathclaws and your hometown shaman telepathically giving you updates through your dreams; take away the big fun sandbox of freeform sidequests and regional conflicts and F2 is just as absurd as anything happening with the Institute and baby Shaun.

The difference with FO2 is the quality in the writing, sure its all ridiculous, but FO2 is earnest throughout the main quest which is what makes it land. It's convincing. Theres no comparison to be had with "MY BABY!!!"
And the first time you get a vision from hakunin is just great. If you had Dwight Schultz on payroll you'd be getting as much out of him as possible.

I think if Fallout was to go back to the West Coast it would be entirely possible to have a game (without an existential threat possibly!) set entirely in one of the areas in FO2. If there was a game set between The Hub, the Boneyard and the NCR that would b amazing. Alternatively, have a Vault that was under LA pop open with a new variation on the military, or have a chinese spaceship land or something nuts. Just gimme more Fallout, make it kitschy and weird and go as dark as it seems to suit. Just no more brown or green fliters give me something imaginative and well realised. More morrowind, less oblivion.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

The actual quality of that story is a different matter entirely, but hey, Fallout 2's main plot features talking deathclaws and your hometown shaman telepathically giving you updates through your dreams

Those things own though?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Fallout 2 had a lot of silly and outlandish elements to its story, yes, but at least I could understand everyone's motivations. Fallout 4 has its most prominent faction (the Institute) do things without ever providing a motivation for them. I mean, we've gone over this a billion time, but it boggles the mind, really, and it makes me wonder what exactly happened during development. Was there a bottleneck or some kind of late story rewrite that forced Bethesda to drop some stuff without providing some kind of replacement? It would be interesting to read a candid post-mortem on the main quest and narrative design for Fallout 4, but I don't think Bethesda ever provided that kind of insight as a company in the past (the closest I can think of was a mediocre talk from lead writer Emil Pagliarulo on his writing practices, which also raised a number of questions on the rationale behind some decisions on Fallout 4 and the developers' perspective on the game) so I'm out of luck there.

Honestly, it's disappointing to me because I thought there were good elements to the main quest in Fallout 4. the hook might be far too melodramatic and narrow for a game that encourages you to explore (although that has been true of a lot of open world games, and I think it's just more noticeable to people because it's an easier and more pointed criticism to make than the vague "the writing sucks"), but the breaks for exploration they inserted inside the first act of the main plot were actually pretty decent, I feel.

After the initial setpiece, you're simply sent to the big city, which takes a while and allows you to naturally end up embroiled in side quests and open world shenanigans along the way. Then the main quest narrows to find Nick Valentine, and Nick is a genuinely well-written and likable character, if poorly integrated into the world. Once you confront Kellogg (unfortunately a rather poorly done sequence) and get to do the flashback (an interesting but overly linear sequence when compare to something similar in Fallout 3 like Tranquility Lane) you're basically on your own again, as you're supposed to figure out a way to get through the Glowing Sea without getting killed by the radiations. Then it goes back to linearity because you have to defeat the courser, and finally it goes back to nonlinearity when you have to figure out who to build the teleporter with and where to find the materials for it.

Or... at least in theory. There are two problems. One is that the designers were entirely too enamored with their own linear story and therefore made many, many characters essential (with the story totally dependent on their contributions). As a result, these linear story segments clash pretty strongly with the design of the rest of the game (it doesn't help that, with few exceptions, essential characters tend to be poorly written).

This is, all things considered, a relatively minor problem, because in spite of the openness of the games, few people in my experience actually experiment with the game systems' boundaries while playing the main story (the players that do usually avoid the main story altogether and treat the game as a sandbox).*

The second is that every single open-ended section of the main quest is presented to the player after they've already been handed an easy means to solve it. Radiation? Ah, how could I ever figur... nevermind, the first main quest gave me a suit of power armor, which is naturally immune to radiation. A teleporter? Who could help me build it and where would I find the materi- nevermind, Sanctuary is full of Minutemen who can help me and I found all those materials during the main quest.

It's a pity, really. Lots of good ideas, but the execution is overall pretty bad. Which is kind of a summary of a lot of elements in Fallout 4 that don't concern the basic gameplay loop, which is pretty solid.

* anecdotal, and I'm very open to be convinced otherwise

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Honestly, it's disappointing to me because I thought there were good elements to the main quest in Fallout 4. the hook might be far too melodramatic and narrow for a game that encourages you to explore (although that has been true of a lot of open world games, and I think it's just more noticeable to people because it's an easier and more pointed criticism to make than the vague "the writing sucks"), but the breaks for exploration they inserted inside the first act of the main plot were actually pretty decent, I feel.

I feel like the game would have been a lot better if they hadn't shown your partner getting shot and your son getting kidnapped in the beginning of the game. Even if they'd done everything else the same, had they skipped that sequence and just made the cryo-pod empty you would have had the same motivation for your character (Gotta find out what happened to my son!), but much less of the urgency that drove most of the more hammy acting and writing in the first half of the game.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Another fun thing you could do is have the cryopod be too fogged up to see through, so all you get are a bunch of blurred figures, muffled shouting, then a gunshot and then swearing and a baby crying. When you wake up the pod's still open and there's a skelleton on the ground, so you assume wifehusband is long dead, and none of the "my baby" poo poo.

Then you can actually do a bunch of poo poo to mess with expectations. Maybe wifehusband is actually alive in the institute with Shaun, and it's only been a few years (the skelleton is from a raider who tried to ambush them while they were trying to calm widehusband down and that's what convinced them to agree to go along with the hevily armed mercs.)

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Bethesda Fallouts really try to ground the main character in a strongly defined narrative. Fallout 3 shows your character's childhood and your dad is a major part of the story. Fallout 4, of course, has the voiced protagonist and family plot line. I really don't understand why Bethesda made this choice, as its pretty much the opposite of playing to strengths. I really enjoy the Elder Scrolls as RPGs, despite the lackluster writing, because the protagonist is so bare bones.

Black Isle/Obsidian Fallout also features fairly undefined main characters, but also have dynamic dialog systems that let you define your character. Fallout 3 tried to do this, but not very well-but at least it tried. Fallout 4 doubles down on lack of ability to shape your character with both the flattened skill system and voiced protagonist.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I can understand why they tried to do some things that failed, ambition is commendable...

...what I dont understand is why they decided to make speech checks a % chance to succeed. That's unequivocally, objectively, a design failure when you give the player the power to save/load in a whim. It's understandable to make that mistake in Morrowind with lockpicking (show of hands on how many people made Open Lock 100 spells named "The Saveload"), but not now.

That having been said, I do feel that the save/load system in general as a feature that utterly cripples multiple elements of any game that it appears in.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
When are they taking votes for the next Fallout location? 'Cause I vote Minneapolis. I'm reasonably sure that everyone wants to see their hometown as the backdrop for Fallout, but we have some neat places and an easy-to-work-with city map. If seasons end up being able to be implemented, extreme heat AND extreme cold become environmental hazards to be reckoned with in hardcore mode. Alternatively, wasn't there a chaotic good Brotherhood chapter in the Midwest?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It really makes me wonder where fallout can go from here. Despite my desire for another Obsidian game, I don't know what else you could do on the west coast short of having the NCR collapse into a civil war. On the other side of the country you have the brotherhood in ascendancy but then you're just repeating the enclave plot again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUrUfJW1JGk&t=30s

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tubgoat posted:

Alternatively, wasn't there a chaotic good Brotherhood chapter in the Midwest?

They were pretty explicitly fascist. Their split with the east coast was over relaxed hiring standards.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If we're talking Tactics, they were interesting because they were actually Fascist instead of the Lawful Stupid alignment mixed with Racism/Nazis that most game show fascism as.

(That's not to say fascism is good, just that a lot of games are stupid about tackling it)

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 28, 2018

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
I don't feel like F4 really has any room for exploration if you take the main quest's motivation even a little bit seriously; diamond city throws hooks for valentine at you before you can even walk in and there's "SHAUN?" options at the vendors and then it's a roller coaster straight to kellog

Killing Kellog is probably the first place you could really have a breather to me because it's at least possible to think shaun could be safe within the institute

quote:

Or... at least in theory. There are two problems. One is that the designers were entirely too enamored with their own linear story

One of the more frustrating things I found is that you can skip directly to valentine but you can't progress without talking and every option assumes you came looking to get his help. You need like one or two lines at most focusing on escaping right now and then an option to ask for his help but it's just got to beat you over the head.

That's one thing I appreciate about the railroad introduction; you can beeline for them and then act utterly confused about what's going on and deacon will want to recruit you because you're some kind of monsterous idiot savant

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Wellwinds posted:

One of the more frustrating things I found is that you can skip directly to valentine but you can't progress without talking and every option assumes you came looking to get his help. You need like one or two lines at most focusing on escaping right now and then an option to ask for his help but it's just got to beat you over the head.

That's one thing I appreciate about the railroad introduction; you can beeline for them and then act utterly confused about what's going on and deacon will want to recruit you because you're some kind of monsterous idiot savant

I had this with the dog. I met a dog in a gas station, but I don't particularly like companions in these sorts of games so I left the dog there. Ten hours later Valentine suggests we use "dogmeat" to track Kellogg and somehow my character knows that the dog he's talking about is that dog I met in a gas station ages ago. Oh and he's outside, magically, like the idea that you might not have taken the dog as a companion instantly upon meeting it wasn't even conceivable to Bethesda.

There is dialogue for if you've literally never met the dog at all where Nick explains that Dogmeat is a dog detective and they go way back and he can introduce you. I'm not sure if that's worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Keeshhound posted:

They were pretty explicitly fascist. Their split with the east coast was over relaxed hiring standards.

The Midwestern Brotherhood is also ridiculously expansionist compared to the other chapters we see. You spend pretty much the entirety of Tactics rolling around absorbing wastelander factions, either "benevolently" or by force.