Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Bethesda FO5 is gonna be a telltale game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Fallout 1/2/T/3/NV/4: Nick explains that Dogmeat is a dog detective and they go way back and he can introduce you

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Reveilled posted:

I had this with the dog. I met a dog in a gas station, but I don't particularly like companions in these sorts of games so I left the dog there. Ten hours later Valentine suggests we use "dogmeat" to track Kellogg and somehow my character knows that the dog he's talking about is that dog I met in a gas station ages ago. Oh and he's outside, magically, like the idea that you might not have taken the dog as a companion instantly upon meeting it wasn't even conceivable to Bethesda.

There is dialogue for if you've literally never met the dog at all where Nick explains that Dogmeat is a dog detective and they go way back and he can introduce you. I'm not sure if that's worse.

I actually like that as a background for Dogmeat.

Dogmeat, Boy Dog Detective.Good Boy Detective.

Someone should make a mod so he can have a Sherlock Holmes hat and pipe and he can chuff observations about people that seem guilty. Not in English, obviously. In Dog.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Reveilled posted:

Oh and he's outside, magically, like the idea that you might not have taken the dog as a companion instantly upon meeting it wasn't even conceivable to Bethesda.

I never really liked companions that the game seemingly forces your character to like. Dogmeat was one of those characters. Also I didn’t know dogmeat existed for the first third of my playthrough because I happened to waltz past that area multiple times.

On the other hand, I am happy Dogmeat teleports to Diamond City. Storytelling be damned, it would otherwise be a monumental chore having to run back and find him. I appreciated the fact Bethesda threw us a bone and nipped that potential fetch quest in the bud.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Azhais posted:

Bethesda FO5 is gonna be a telltale game

Honestly, I would actually love a Fallout based telltale game.

buglord posted:

I never really liked companions that the game seemingly forces your character to like. Dogmeat was one of those characters. Also I didn’t know dogmeat existed for the first third of my playthrough because I happened to waltz past that area multiple times.

On the other hand, I am happy Dogmeat teleports to Diamond City. Storytelling be damned, it would otherwise be a monumental chore having to run back and find him. I appreciated the fact Bethesda threw us a bone and nipped that potential fetch quest in the bud.

Or they could have just NOT forced you to use Dogmeat to track Kellogg. Like, if you have Dogmeat with you then you can use him to hunt Kellogg and that would fine, but if you don't there should be other things you can do to find him. Having multiple ways to complete a quest is what separates the good open world games from the bad ones.

That said, "The continued adventures of Dogmeat, the dog detective" where you and Dogmeat have to travel around and solve mysteries Scooby Doo style would have been a fantastic sidequest.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Just lol if you didn't use dogmeat in the first 2 fallout games. That fucker was terrifying if you managed to keep him alive long enough.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah until he decides to kill himself by running into the same damage forcefield over and over again.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

buglord posted:

I see what you did there. Yeah, definitely having to run back for him would have been ridiculous, but they could have at least done some bare minimum of acknowledging that it's unexpected like have your character go "Hey boy, did you follow me here?" or "Well, I told you to stay but I'm glad you're here" or something. Or a way to complete the quest without a dog, would have been nice too.

On the topic of companions the game wants you to like, I did like Nick, and I liked Hancock at least in his capacity as mayor, but most of the other companions I'd describe as "tolerable".

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Wellwinds posted:

That's one thing I appreciate about the railroad introduction; you can beeline for them and then act utterly confused about what's going on and deacon will want to recruit you because you're some kind of monsterous idiot savant

I like that as well but it’s kind of ruined the first time you don’t do ANY quests and run straight for them and when des asks deacon what your deal is he just shrugs and goes ‘uh I dunno but she found us so that’s pretty badass I guess’

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Hancock's pretty good but having him locked behind a quest that he has zero direct involvement in sucks

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I like that as well but it’s kind of ruined the first time you don’t do ANY quests and run straight for them and when des asks deacon what your deal is he just shrugs and goes ‘uh I dunno but she found us so that’s pretty badass I guess’

I do love his line for it though, "NORMAL people just don't do that!"

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah until he decides to kill himself by running into the same damage forcefield over and over again.

It's a challenge to keep him alive through that part but holy gently caress is he hilarious until then. Like 4+ serious attacks a round + knockdowns, and a ridiculous movement rate. Fairly tough too. The Fallout 2 version, if you could get him, was even more broke. More like 6+ attacks and the ability to move like 2+ screens. :laffo: Oh, and you can actually order that one around like a normal companion.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

It's a challenge to keep him alive through that part but holy gently caress is he hilarious until then. Like 4+ serious attacks a round + knockdowns, and a ridiculous movement rate. Fairly tough too. The Fallout 2 version, if you could get him, was even more broke. More like 6+ attacks and the ability to move like 2+ screens. :laffo: Oh, and you can actually order that one around like a normal companion.

Fallout 2 dogmatic suffers from lack of HP tho, he melts the moment any serious random encounter comes along.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay, was Bethesda's development team kidnapped and replaced by synths when Far Harbor was made? I just did a main story quest that involved no combat and then reconfigured the settlement building system into a puzzle mechanic with some really clever level design. This is not the Bethesda MO, and I'm loving it.

Personally I thought that the matrix puzzle idea was innovative but about two levels too long. YMMV.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Or they could have just NOT forced you to use Dogmeat to track Kellogg. Like, if you have Dogmeat with you then you can use him to hunt Kellogg and that would fine, but if you don't there should be other things you can do to find him. Having multiple ways to complete a quest is what separates the good open world games from the bad ones.

That said, "The continued adventures of Dogmeat, the dog detective" where you and Dogmeat have to travel around and solve mysteries Scooby Doo style would have been a fantastic sidequest.

If the game was "it took you like two hours to find your baby and he's now safe in that heavily fortified settlement you just built. The rest of the game is just you, Nick, and Dogmeat solving crimes" it would have been incredible.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Midwestern Brotherhood is also ridiculously expansionist compared to the other chapters we see. You spend pretty much the entirety of Tactics rolling around absorbing wastelander factions, either "benevolently" or by force.

Well, absorbing to varying degrees. Some towns it's made clear you're basically just doing some protection racket jobs. They give you money, you kill anything that bothers them. Others, it's more... forceful. (Like rounding up anyone seen too close to a raider and making them transport nuclear materials.)

Apparently, Fallout Tactics 2 was going to dial up the fascism another couple clicks, if it had actually come out, to make for more "Are we the baddies, Hans?" moments.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gynovore posted:

Personally I thought that the matrix puzzle idea was innovative but about two levels too long. YMMV.

I kinda liked the freeform final level.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If the game was "it took you like two hours to find your baby and he's now safe in that heavily fortified settlement you just built. The rest of the game is just you, Nick, and Dogmeat solving crimes" it would have been incredible.

Heck, just dump the baby sideplot entirely, go full on post-apocalyptic LA Noire.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, absorbing to varying degrees. Some towns it's made clear you're basically just doing some protection racket jobs. They give you money, you kill anything that bothers them. Others, it's more... forceful. (Like rounding up anyone seen too close to a raider and making them transport nuclear materials.)

Apparently, Fallout Tactics 2 was going to dial up the fascism another couple clicks, if it had actually come out, to make for more "Are we the baddies, Hans?" moments.

It always seemed to me to be pretty explicit that the Midwestern Brotherhood was effectively turning everything they touched into satellite states and fiefdoms, given that some of the cutscenes basically show press-ganged tribals being forcibly initiated into the brotherhood and you continually picking up new recruit types as your territory expands.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Heck, just dump the baby sideplot entirely, go full on post-apocalyptic LA Noire.

should have been nick's old partner and a prosecutor that got froze instead.

Kanos posted:

It always seemed to me to be pretty explicit that the Midwestern Brotherhood was effectively turning everything they touched into satellite states and fiefdoms, given that some of the cutscenes basically show press-ganged tribals being forcibly initiated into the brotherhood and you continually picking up new recruit types as your territory expands.

heavier on the power armored death squads and violent war crimes, lighter on the comfort women and upswings in the birthrate post-conquering. a much cooler caeser's legion.

upgunned shitpost fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 29, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Having not played Tactics, I didn't really know anything about that chapter but that I'd heard them described as "relaxed" by one or more posters somewhere around here and I took it to mean they weren't giant prolapsed assholes as in the rest of the series. Sure would love an unambiguously good, powered faction to root for.

Just started loving around with coc teleportation in New Vegas, would never have come up for air had it not crashed. I tried going to a void for dead things I think? coc somethingDONOTDELETE it said. xD The mods sound sweet but my computer is a $100 pawnshop laptop.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
When are they gonna mod Lily into FO4 because Strong makes me feel physically ill with those generic lines.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

please stop writing my favorite game that will never happen.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Having not played Tactics, I didn't really know anything about that chapter but that I'd heard them described as "relaxed" by one or more posters somewhere around here and I took it to mean they weren't giant prolapsed assholes as in the rest of the series. Sure would love an unambiguously good, powered faction to root for.

like New Vegas the player has a fair bit of influence on how badgood or goodbad the faction is. They're always fascist but you can do things like talk down some groups peacefully and allow a super mutant trying to cure sterility to continue his research. Plus there's the Caesar-esque argument that they're best suited to tame the wastes and eradicate raiders, but with less of the parts that people find ick.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tubgoat posted:

I mean, compared to the West Coast's "Go to the Glow, because it would amuse me" Brotherhood, they're alright. They're absolutely fascists, but they're actually pretty open minded about mutants and the like, and they at least legitimately do protect the territories that they conquer, so you could do a lot worse, by post apocalyptic standards, at least.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 29, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Didn't the Vault Dweller need to visit the Glow in order to retrieve some holodisks from a lost expedition or something? It only involves you going one or two levels down if you don't feel like exploring. I don't think they send you there (solely) to watch you microwave yourself to death.

The Mid-West Brotherhood was a lot more open minded because they didn't have much of a choice in the matter - it was either accept new people into the ranks or wither away since they had no means of getting help from out west. They then took on a "We're going to restore this land to it's pre-War glory even if we have to drag you kicking and screaming" mantra as they cut across the plains states. Bethesda hasn't really confirmed if they're still canon or not though they do get a brief mention in 3.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Didn't the Vault Dweller need to visit the Glow in order to retrieve some holodisks from a lost expedition or something? It only involves you going one or two levels down if you don't feel like exploring. I don't think they send you there (solely) to watch you microwave yourself to death.

The Mid-West Brotherhood was a lot more open minded because they didn't have much of a choice in the matter - it was either accept new people into the ranks or wither away since they had no means of getting help from out west. They then took on a "We're going to restore this land to it's pre-War glory even if we have to drag you kicking and screaming" mantra as they cut across the plains states. Bethesda hasn't really confirmed if they're still canon or not though they do get a brief mention in 3.

They told people to head to the Glow to get rid of them.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the brotherhood legitimately wanted the holotapes, though it was low priority and it was also a great way to cure dumbshit tribals of their curiousity. think that quest was the first time carrying around rope had been useful in an rpg since roa starfall. also shoes, if a game ever offers you a chance to buy good shoes, always splurge.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Is that ever explicitly stated anywhere? I always got the vibe it was one bored jerk guard who said that, given how his friends react awkwardly. If they had no intention of letting you in at all anyway, they wouldn't open the doors after you come back from there anyway.

On a broader note, I think it's a bit silly that people cite this as proof that the Brotherhood have always been assholes. This is about the only thing they ever do in FO1 that could be construed as evil, and even then it's not exactly airtight. Most of what they do in Fallout 1 is fighting the Master. As far as I know, they never attack any other humans. Are they super friendly and welcoming? No. But they're honestly not that far off from the Fallout 3 Brotherhood; we don't see either group ever actively help any wastelanders by doing anything besides killing mutants, they both treat outsiders with scorn but not hostility, and the canon ending for both games has them assaulting an existential threat to the wasteland.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

They were kicked out for the "We should accept new people" doctrine, so it's pretty core to their attitude.

And some of the groups you pick up are explicitly volunteers, like the ghouls who, assuming you let them in, get better treatment from the Brotherhood than almost anyone else.

I mean, they can hire Deathclaws. In comparison, ghouls aren't worthy of much comment.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

chiasaur11 posted:

They were kicked out for the "We should accept new people" doctrine, so it's pretty core to their attitude.

And some of the groups you pick up are explicitly volunteers, like the ghouls who, assuming you let them in, get better treatment from the Brotherhood than almost anyone else.

I mean, they can hire Deathclaws. In comparison, ghouls aren't worthy of much comment.

There is the one-eyed ghoul sniper you can pick to your team... who has PER 14. Which is nice.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the 'good' ending of tactics has everyone lorded over by a machine cult of robo-apparatchiks, but deathclaw integration programs and ghoul safe spaces which is rad. the 'just following orders' ending has slave labour camps for mutants and a deathclaw head over the mantle of every good patriotic household... well, hovel anyway... but the machine cult will all sound like r. lee emery which is pretty loving cool.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jfood posted:

the 'good' ending of tactics has everyone lorded over by a machine cult of robo-apparatchiks, but deathclaw integration programs and ghoul safe spaces which is rad. the 'just following orders' ending has slave labour camps for mutants and a deathclaw head over the mantle of every good patriotic household... well, hovel anyway... but the machine cult will all sound like r. lee emery which is pretty loving cool.

There's also an ending where the Brotherhood has to actually integrate with the locals and learn farming and the like. It also describes the local factions as "The Brotherhood and their allies", which seems to indicate at least some level of political independence, even if the Brotherhood is in control.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

It was probably answered on some way way earlier page, but is there a cool goon list of Fallout 3 mods? I think I might want to break into that later when I play through fallout 4

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
After you find the GECK and "return" to Arroyo, are there any time limits in Fallout 2?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

aniviron posted:

Is that ever explicitly stated anywhere? I always got the vibe it was one bored jerk guard who said that, given how his friends react awkwardly. If they had no intention of letting you in at all anyway, they wouldn't open the doors after you come back from there anyway.

On a broader note, I think it's a bit silly that people cite this as proof that the Brotherhood have always been assholes. This is about the only thing they ever do in FO1 that could be construed as evil, and even then it's not exactly airtight. Most of what they do in Fallout 1 is fighting the Master. As far as I know, they never attack any other humans. Are they super friendly and welcoming? No. But they're honestly not that far off from the Fallout 3 Brotherhood; we don't see either group ever actively help any wastelanders by doing anything besides killing mutants, they both treat outsiders with scorn but not hostility, and the canon ending for both games has them assaulting an existential threat to the wasteland.

The problem with the Brotherhood of Steel has never been that they're "assholes" or "evil", the problem with the brotherhood is that their isolationist nature and devotion to dogma mean their organization is fundamentally flawed and doomed to fail.

In Fallout 1 the Brotherhood are the raddest rockers in the wasteland because they've managed to hoard a bunch of old world tech. Their plan is to hideaway and hold onto this tech so they can control humanities access to it in order to prevent humanity from using that technology for evil. It's a noble goal, but it's not going to work because: A) Technology is not something that exists separately from humanity. Computers are not a finite resource that can be gathered up and safely sealed away, they exist because people figured out how to build that poo poo and if you take them they're just going to figure out how to build more. B) By isolating themselves the brotherhood are unable to actually engage with the world around them, and thus will be totally unprepared for the changes that will inevitably come. That old world tech they stole isn't going to stay superior forever, eventually someone is going to make something better and when that day comes the brotherhood is hosed.

In Fallout 2 we get to see that fuckening happen: the Enclave are now the baddest bitches, and the Brotherhood are nothing but yesterdays news. The Enclave are essentially everything the brotherhood feared, and they are using technology to do ALL of the evils. Like, every evil thing you can imagine the Enclave does and the brotherhood can do gently caress all to stop them. The Enclave's existence is proof of Brotherhood's failure: Turns out in order to help the world you can't just steal a bunch of guns and lock them up, you have to actually get out there and pay attention to what's happening around you.

The Brotherhood's slow, sad slide into irrelevancy is continued in Fallout: New Vegas. The Brotherhood is no longer a major faction, they're holed up in a field and if you complete Veronica's quest you get a very bleak look at just how far they've fallen behind. No matter what you do you're never really able to help them improve in any significant way because they're so entrenched in their old mindsets and traditions.

And this is why people get so pissy about The Brotherhood of Steel's portrayal in Fallout 3: the obsidian made Fallout games are pretty clearly doing a very specific 'thing' with the BOS and using them to critique and examine a very specific and dangerous ideology, so having them be the 'good guys' in Fallout 3 feels extremely shallow.

Of course, having them be 'the bad guys' in Fallout 4 was also pretty shallow (their core philosophy has always been about hoarding technology, not destroying it, shouldn't they want to imprison all synths rather than exterminate them?), but most people see it as an improvement because being racist against robots IS closer to their traditional MO of ineffectual short term solutions that will ultimately fail to solve enormous long term problems.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The normal ending for the Brotherhood in Fallout 1 (i.e. the one where you don't murder their leader) has them reintroduce their knowledge to the wasteland. The Brotherhood as isolationist hoarders of technology is mostly a New Vegas invention.

HorrificExistence posted:

After you find the GECK and "return" to Arroyo, are there any time limits in Fallout 2?

The game automatically ends after 13 years, presumably due to an engine limitation. You'll never reach that point in a normal playthrough though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tubgoat posted:

As other people have given a lot of detail about, the Tactics Brotherhood is "relaxed" insofar as they are not isolationist in the slightest and they don't have a hard-on for the purity of humanity or squirreling away technology from prying eyes. You are absolutely taking territory by force and bringing new groups into your sphere of influence throughout the entirety of Tactics and they're not really given a choice about it. You play as a press-ganged tribal and your first mission is you and your squad getting sent to a tribal village asking the BOS for help against raiders and it's very explicit that the BOS is sending you because they're fulfilling their end of a protection racket, not out of any noble desire for justice. Pretty much every faction you meet is presented with the choice of "submit to the BOS's decision or suck a bullet".

That said, the Tactics BOS is shown to be relatively benevolent to their client states; the deal is "you submit to us and provide us with men and resources, and we will protect you and uplift you", and you spend the entire game fulfilling this contract to the BOS's "allies". The BOS definitely commit resources to defend its vassals even if it's an extremely dangerous maneuver(at one point the BOS throws itself in front of a super mutant invasion route to protect the territory it has taken, to enormous cost) and without exception anyone who actually does bend the knee and submit to the BOS's terms is accepted into the fold and protected, even if they're icky ghouls or super mutants or deathclaws or whatever. They also are pretty equal opportunity within the organization. By the end of the game, you, a lovely press ganged tribal recruit, have risen to Paladin Commander.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

HorrificExistence posted:

I recall reading the game kicking you back to the main menu if you play for an absurdly long amount of time, which happens independent of quest status; this is the result of programming/hardware limitations, and may have been patched out by this point.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Leroy Dennui posted:

I recall reading the game kicking you back to the main menu if you play for an absurdly long amount of time, which happens independent of quest status; this is the result of programming/hardware limitations, and may have been patched out by this point.

You die of old age around age ~70 IIRC, but other than the increasingly dire dreams from your shaman telling you to shake the lead out and find the GECK if you take too long there's no impact on the game. Either before or after you find it. The ending for each person and town is determined only by your actions at the end of the day; none of that Master's Army nonsense going on in 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

In case you were wondering what actually happens when your playthrough takes more than 13 years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLwHApdaJFk

It's kind of solemn, really.