Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

big nipples big life posted:

"you don't understand game development" is like the ultimate insult in the 'verse.

People have been pretzelized by fideliphysics for less.

You want to understand game development? You want to understand game development? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE DEVELOPMENT OF GAMES. Son, we live in a world where deadlines exist, and those deadlines have to be delivered upon by men with talent. Who's gunna do it? You? You, Derek Smart? I have a greater responsibility to the 'verse than you can possibly fathom. You weep for stretch goals and you curse the kickstarter. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Sataball's death, while tragic, probably saved your immersion. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves your immersion! You don't want elite dangerous, because deep down in procedurally generated and seeded solar systems you don't stream about on twitch, you want me to be immersed. You need me to be immersed. We use words like, "development", "open", "never been done before." We use these words as the backbone of a development cycle spent selling something. You use them as a guarantee. I have neither the two weeks nor the hairy roberts to explain myself to a backer who sleeps and dreams under the blanket of the very 'verse that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said, "keep doing what you're doing," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up an idris and punch above your weight. Either way, I don't give a FUD what you think you are entitled to!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: Real super homebrew vpn

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I already know you're wrong so I don't even have to know what you've said.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dictated, but not read, this youtube video did not turn my head, here goes my comment into the section, off I go with my cultist inflection, "it's never been done before!"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mr.Tophat is a good and fine poster of words that are also good and fine.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Also, fun fact:

Over the 7 years of Star Citizen development, lead designer and CEO, who's "making the game I want to play", has gone on video exactly one time to play his game.

--===--
7 YEARS of development, and Chris Roberts played his game ONE TIME on video for his backers.
--===--

When he did, it was like he had never seen it before. He could not play it. He also bashed the chat system and vowed it would be replaced immediately.

The chat system has not yet been replaced.

I believe Chris IS making the game he wants to play.... Star Citizen is the perfect game for people who don't like to play games.

Edit:
Roberts wears his sunglasses at night(and in VR)

Nunes fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 8, 2018

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Nunes posted:

I believe Chris IS making the game he wants to play.... Star Citizen is the perfect game for people who don't like to play games.

And perfect for those who want to dive in the way of any would be character assassin to prevent e-parricide

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Mr.Tophat posted:

Dictated, but not read, this youtube video did not turn my head, here goes my comment into the section, off I go with my cultist inflection, "it's never been done before!"

:five:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Nunes posted:

Edit:

Look at this blithering idiot

Who uses a game pad on a laptop like that, it's like someone set that down infront of him and said 'here hold this and smile, it will make you another $50 million'

Wait is that even SC he was 'playing' it looks like a still from the pitch video that he's pretending to control, this is too much

And then the other one, he isn't even holding the joystick right.... has he ever even FLOWN A REAL F16 before ffffuuuuuuuuucccccccc

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i use a controller with my laptop all the time

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have never been particularly impressed by the SC community, but these last few days are a new low.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
There seems to be an increasing amount of expectations-management coming from the Star Citizen Defence Force.

Eg - "Star Citizen will be the BDSSE, but don't be surprised if it isn't".

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Yeah, BretJones was the lunatic I was thinking about on but couldn't remember the other day.

Mr Angry on twitter, as deranged as Maht_Daymun.

Angry at Derek mainly.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Judging from the dropoff in the latest leaderboard numbers, just about everybody who plays Star Citizen is in Evocati by now.

Average concurrent players/unique players per day (estimated from 3.1 leaderboards):

Star Marine: 2.6 / 161.4
Arena Commander: 2.1 / 80.1
Murray Cup: 0.5 / 31.4

Total: 5.2 / 246.2

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have never been particularly impressed by the SC community, but these last few days are a new low.

it's only downhill from here, you know. They're never getting anything they want in this game.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Ponzi posted:

There seems to be an increasing amount of expectations-management coming from the Star Citizen Defence Force.

Eg - "Star Citizen will be the BDSSE, but don't be surprised if it isn't".

Comedy is tragedy + time.

Star Citizen is FUD + time.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Peter.Quint posted:

Comedy is tragedy + time.

Star Citizen is FUD + time.

Star Citizen = Bad

Ftfy

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

Look at this blithering idiot

Who uses a game pad on a laptop like that, it's like someone set that down infront of him and said 'here hold this and smile, it will make you another $50 million'

Wait is that even SC he was 'playing' it looks like a still from the pitch video that he's pretending to control, this is too much

And then the other one, he isn't even holding the joystick right.... has he ever even FLOWN A REAL F16 before ffffuuuuuuuuucccccccc

I also love the gamepad resting on his junk while using a hotas/keyboard. Is he trying to enjoy some rumblepack action?

This picture really reminded me of a behavior my ex had where she would need to get a picture of her doing a thing or being into a thing, where in reality, she has never done or was interested in said thing. For example if I was at the archery range with her, she would need a picture of holding a bow like she was shooting and all the details about it would be just wrong. She needed these pictures however to show everyone on social media how cool and good she is... just like how Star Citizen is cool and good.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen = Bad

Ftfy

Or Star Citizen - FUD = Comedy - Tragedy.

I don't know if this is getting us anywhere.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That guy is a cheater in ED. Used to post on unknowncheats and run the cheat script. I'm sure he's looking forward to cheating in SC as well.

EDIT: IIRC - this is his account there: https://www.unknowncheats.me/forum/1694294-post1578.html

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 8, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

"Our banned accounts shall block out the sun!" :argh:

"Then we shall FUD in the shade" :smuggo:

B'Tak occasionally has a nightmare about the game ever being finished.

His spaceman is standing somewhere. On a moon, I think.
And he is looking up. And there are goon ships, passing overhead. First a few, and then more. A thousand. Two thousand. So many that they blot out the sun.
A terrible sight. Terrible.

And they are all coming for you, B'Tak. :toughguy:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

That video is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. You could almost feel the CEO smarm coming through the monitor, as his heaving sweating mass sighed in frustration. You could hear his inner thought system saying "I did all this motion capture, I did my part, what has everyone else been doing, where is the loving game, what is this loving poo poo" it was just absolutely tremendous. The crash, him blinking at the joystick like a troglodyte, just everything about the video was fantastic. If there were any justice in the universe, right when it ended, a big needle over his head would have swung over the word "BAD" and he'd have gotten dropped down a chute like Veruca Salt in Willy Wonka.

:same:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

DNF was never really constantly worked on though. It was partially worked on, abandoned, then thrown away, over and over and over again. Eventually someone else bought the rights and just made it from scratch. So even though 15 years passed between the first man-hour spent on it, and the final delivery, it wasn't really 15 years of development.

Although there are some parallels with things getting refactored and reworked and thrown away etc., the core project for SC has been being worked on by CIG for the entire 7 years. I'm not sure which other game that puts it in true competition with, but what's most impressive to me is how little has been done. It's a lovely proof-of-concept that shows the concept doesn't work, and it has been for literal years. Every patch reveals an astounding lack of development progress, and what appears to be increasing amounts of instability as they attempt to stack more of the impossible on top of the abominable.

They also switched engines on DNF like 3 or 4 times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Titanic posted:

Also, fun fact:

Over the 7 years of Star Citizen development, lead designer and CEO, who's "making the game I want to play", has gone on video exactly one time to play his game.

--===--
7 YEARS of development, and Chris Roberts played his game ONE TIME on video for his backers.
--===--

When he did, it was like he had never seen it before. He could not play it. He also bashed the chat system and vowed it would be replaced immediately.

The chat system has not yet been replaced.

I absolutely love how loving slapdash that one live play was. They couldn't do a dry run before the stream and test everything? It takes forever to get in-game, things don't work, the controls aren't properly mapped...

I mean its also amazing that he didn't seem to recognize it or enjoy it whatsoever, but its even more amazing how much poo poo he goes through before he even gets to that part. Its agonizingly slow.

Also they forgot to cut Chris' mike and he keeps talking poo poo while Sandi and Ben or whoever are going on about the latest jpg sales.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

I genuinely have held the belief for a long time that I hope we're all wrong (I don't think we are but I hope) but honestly after today I've changed my mind. Guys like ShapCap, Montoya, and Evan deserve to lose every penny of their money and be mocked until the end of time for this poo poo. I still don't think the average backer deserves what CIG is doing to them, but those guys can all go gently caress themselves right in their fat fuckin asses.

Seriously Montoya is so overwhelmingly unbelievably confident that star citizen is real that he mocks anybody who disagrees. gently caress that, gently caress him, I want to watch it all burn.

What I want to ask these guys like Montoya who are like "its fine, this is the first AAAA game, we voted on this, it takes time" how much time is acceptable?

Another 6 years? 12? 18? 30? At what point does delivery not even matter anymore. Even if the game is beyond your wildest dreams, if its 50 years and you're dead, do you care?

Ah but a guy like Montoya is so sunk cost committed that he'd probably cognitive dissonance his way into "Well, even if I didn't get to play it, it was worth it to create such a legendary game for everybody in the future, which otherwise never could have existed" or some poo poo.

The Titanic posted:

If this is what you have after 7 years, the end product is easily decades away from being even a beta of a real game.

Star Citizen the mmorpg has not even started to be developed yet, they are struggling to build a limited player, single server arena game.

Squadron 42 has potentially the "best shot" at being realized, since its only a single player game. Erin Roberts has also gone on record as saying this is his main focus, and immediately following that is the next episode of Squadron 42. Star Citizen is potentially not even on the road map.

This is all very true and should be repeated again and again.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 8, 2018

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Nunes posted:

Those area actually Nvidia 3D Vision glasses which makes this like at least triple dumb.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Where is the blue cheese? You know nothing about food development

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pingiivi posted:

Those area actually Nvidia 3D Vision glasses which makes this like at least triple dumb.

I was gonna say, I think those are 3d glasses.

It reveals that he's just posing for a photo and never actually plays the game, just like having a redundant HOTAS and controller in his lap.

But, this is star citizen. So its not actually redundant; the VR headset is for when the 3D glasses don't work, just like the controller is for when the HOTAS doesn't work.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously Montoya is so overwhelmingly unbelievably confident that star citizen is real that he mocks anybody who disagrees. gently caress that, gently caress him, I want to watch it all burn.

What I want to ask these guys like Montoya who are like "its fine, this is the first AAAA game, we voted on this, it takes time" how much time is acceptable?

Another 6 years? 12? 18? 30? At what point does delivery not even matter anymore. Even if the game is beyond your wildest dreams, if its 50 years and you're dead, do you care?

Ah but a guy like Montoya is so sunk cost committed that he'd probably cognitive dissonance his way into "Well, even if I didn't get to play it, it was worth it to create such a legendary game for everybody in the future, which otherwise never could have existed" or some poo poo.

This is all very true and should be repeated again and again.

Fear, that's what lies at the heart of the SC fanatic: fear that all the crap they've talked and dreamed is utter nonsense and all they've done is pour their money down a drain because an idiot told them that was the right thing to do.

As Derek says, they'll all disappear, go back to the sewer, when the ELE hits. I'll bet absolutely zero of the hardcore guys will have the balls to stand up and even decry Chris for ripping them off.

Chris bent them over a barrel and none of them will have the courage to complain.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Peter.Quint posted:

Fear, that's what lies at the heart of the SC fanatic: fear that all the crap they've talked and dreamed is utter nonsense and all they've done is pour their money down a drain because an idiot told them that was the right thing to do.

As Derek says, they'll all disappear, go back to the sewer, when the ELE hits. I'll bet absolutely zero of the hardcore guys will have the balls to stand up and even decry Chris for ripping them off.

Chris bent them over a barrel and none of them will have the courage to complain.

A good part of them are marketing "bots" from various companies i guess.

Yeah, i also fear that we wont get much after the ELE

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

What the gently caress is this filth?

Mods?!?!?!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I mean honestly, lets be super super super unbelievably optimistic for no reason at all and against all reason

How long until SQ42 comes out? 2 more years? And then optimistically, SC would be like, ideally hopefully maybe 2 years after that?

best case scenario SC releases 2022?

And obviously, that's impossible, CIG can't do anything. But even if things somehow magically get better and they start cranking out good game dev, its still sooooo far away.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean honestly, lets be super super super unbelievably optimistic for no reason at all and against all reason

How long until SQ42 comes out? 2 more years? And then optimistically, SC would be like, ideally hopefully maybe 2 years after that?

And obviously, that's impossible, CIG can't do anything. But even if things somehow magically get better and they start cranking out good game dev, its still sooooo far away.

I'm confident Squadron 42 will release this year.

Just like last year

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Any word on the street for the next sal.. promotion? Are mechs finally coming? Maybe buildings? Or spacesubmarines?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

And by 2022 elite dangerous may well have implemented all the things star citizeners want. While charging at least somewhat reasonable sums of money.

In 4 years somebody else could swoop in and make a new space mmo from scratch.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'm surprised there haven't been a bunch of extremely obvious backers-pretending-to-be-goons threatening people to try and pretend that we are the ones doing all of this. These people are already sending the death and rape threats to children in the first place so I'm not sure what's stopping them from trying some psychological warfare where they defend their video game by framing other people for the things they have been doing all along.

Like when Sandi disappeared from Twitter saying she was being harassed somehow and a few days later some new account started screaming at her in all caps out of literally nowhere about derek smart.

No, but we have a few special undercover goons pretending to be backers pretending to be toxic assholes pretending to be paid shills.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lol if you don't wear shutter glasses under your VR headset to increase the immersion even further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Zaphod42 posted:

Because of the Crytech lawsuit they can't release Sq42 anymore, they have to integrate it with SC and make it ingame missions.