Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

I think I have stepped on every goddamn landmine in this entire game.

I’m rolling around in power armor so i don’t care but yeah I’m exceptionally good at finding mines by tripping every single one. Double bonus for catching one trap, disarming it, then walking into the adjacent 2 other traps because gently caress you, that’s why.

Speaking of mods I have to say I loving LOVE Sim Settlements + Rise of the Commonwealth. It’s exactly how I wanted settlements to be when I first heard of them (slowly progress by themselves with your input as optional but beneficial). The only thing I haven’t figured out is how to be able to have a home/house/base in a settlement without having the settlement loot all my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of mods I have to say I loving LOVE Sim Settlements + Rise of the Commonwealth. It’s exactly how I wanted settlements to be when I first heard of them (slowly progress by themselves with your input as optional but beneficial). The only thing I haven’t figured out is how to be able to have a home/house/base in a settlement without having the settlement loot all my poo poo.

Red Rocket is my home base. I have a robot security guard and Cait (My waifu) to keep my loot company. No settlers allowed.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m rolling around in power armor so i don’t care but yeah I’m exceptionally good at finding mines by tripping every single one. Double bonus for catching one trap, disarming it, then walking into the adjacent 2 other traps because gently caress you, that’s why.

Try this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/31286

You can create a "Furniture Marker" at a chem station, which is a weapon you equip. When it's equipped, you get a contextual prompt on chests, workstations, beds, etc. to "Mark for You" or "Mark for All", basically altering the permissions people have to use your stuff. I use it to prevent Random Schmuck #0453 to be in my bed every time I wake up, but you could try marking containers to prevent your settlers from taking your stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there mods to give settlers more jobs? It gets kinda boring when their four professions are provisioner, security, shopkeeper and farmer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There's nothing like a well-timed vehicle explosion, even if it happens to be one that kills you instead of the enemy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there mods to give settlers more jobs? It gets kinda boring when their four professions are provisioner, security, shopkeeper and farmer.

Lots of other things beyond that, but horizon does this also.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Dick Trauma posted:

There's nothing like a well-timed vehicle explosion, even if it happens to be one that kills you instead of the enemy.

When i started my Survival playthrough, I was kinda dreading meeting the first deathclaw. I had trouble against him at Very Hard and figured it would be even harder this time.

'Lo and behold when it first shows up fighting some raiders, one of the raiders blew up the car next to the deathclaw crippling both legs. I never had it so easy.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Chronojam posted:

Lots of other things beyond that, but horizon does this also.

Are there other jobs without mods? The only one I can think of is the scavenging station. Then again, i only just started with settlements so I may not have build everything that has a job yet.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

did they fix the TV mod yet so i can watch daffy duck beat up hitler in nuka world without having to load up every single looney toon one by one

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Dalael posted:

Are there other jobs without mods? The only one I can think of is the scavenging station. Then again, i only just started with settlements so I may not have build everything that has a job yet.

If DLC doesn't count as a mod, you have the Vault stuff you can point people at as a job, instead of letting them just wander up to use 'em, I think.

Nasty idea - if you assign someone into the stocks, I dunno if they get out when attacked. Put someone you dislike Marcy Long or Preston into one right in the middle of Attack Route One, let them be team target for the enemies while the turrets spin up.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only one I know about is one that's a few years old called Northland Diggers, but it makes some workshop script edits and has a huge bug report section, so I've always stayed away from it.

HORMELCHILI posted:

did they fix the TV mod yet so i can watch daffy duck beat up hitler in nuka world without having to load up every single looney toon one by one

If you mean putting multiple tapes in the player at the same time, you can, and you can do alphabetical playback or randomized. If you mean "consoling each tape into your inventory", they've added a workbench that lets you just craft all the tapes from the corresponding video mods (though you'll have to update those to the newest versions too.) There's some new projectors and TVs as well. They just added an optional "Theatre Pack" too that adds in a bunch of movie furniture, complete with snacks for your lobby.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anarchist's Cookbook vol. 1 and 2 are pretty cool. I especially like the tin explosives that don't send bodies flying into space.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
If modders could band together to create one bug-free, working Fallout game and sell it to Bethesda on the cheap, that'd be great.

tia

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dalael posted:

If modders could band together to create one bug-free, working Fallout game and sell it to Bethesda on the cheap, that'd be great.

tia

They would send their results to Bethesda and immediately get a C&D order for being dumb enough to ask permission in the first place.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

They would send their results to Bethesda and immediately get a C&D order for being dumb enough to ask permission in the first place.

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqwP6uuYOWo

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
So what does Horizon mod do exactly?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dalael posted:

So what does Horizon mod do exactly?

The articles on the mod page explain in detail, but it's basically a total overhaul of the game. The important stuff that will probably make or break it for you:

* No health regeneration from anything but stimpaks (which are now very rare), bandages, trauma kits, and doctors. Stimpaks are the only healing method that can be used in combat, but bandages can be crafted. Only trauma kits and doctors can heal crippled limbs. Rad-Away is more expensive but there's another, cheaper item that removes fewer rads to make up for it. Healing is done with hard numbers instead of percentages, so as your health pool increases you actually need more resources to heal to full.

* Ammo and caps are more rare in the wild, so you need to engage in more trading or handload ammo.

* More difficult, rebalanced combat. Some enemies get specific changes to their limb health to emphasize tactical dismemberment (like Protectrons are very heavily armored except for their legs).

* Much slower leveling, but you get 5 perk points every fifth level to make up for the slower pace.

* Settlements are expanded with more buildings and features.

* More crafting recipes and cooking.

* More junk items for breaking down, and you always get all of the possible items for breaking things down instead of not being able to remove a gear or circuit board from a car without turning it to scrap metal.

In general it makes the game much slower and more difficult. You actually need to do early work on your settlement and build a network of settlements to have safe bases on Survival mode and income everywhere else. Healing is so difficult (and almost impossible in combat) that you have to move very carefully to avoid getting killed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Survival gets rid of fast traveling, right? That mod sounds brutal in a fun way and something to try once I finish my first play through. Does it get rid of the story/campaign or do you still go through the motions and land a power armor at start?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Survival gets rid of fast traveling, right? That mod sounds brutal in a fun way and something to try once I finish my first play through. Does it get rid of the story/campaign or do you still go through the motions and land a power armor at start?

It's still got the story, but the power armor only has two pieces on it at the start instead of a full suit so even then I was needing to play tactically and use cover. It also adds a fast travel option through hitching a ride on one of your settlement caravans to another settlement or major city.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

The articles on the mod page explain in detail, but it's basically a total overhaul of the game. The important stuff that will probably make or break it for you:

* No health regeneration from anything but stimpaks (which are now very rare), bandages, trauma kits, and doctors. Stimpaks are the only healing method that can be used in combat, but bandages can be crafted. Only trauma kits and doctors can heal crippled limbs. Rad-Away is more expensive but there's another, cheaper item that removes fewer rads to make up for it. Healing is done with hard numbers instead of percentages, so as your health pool increases you actually need more resources to heal to full.

* Ammo and caps are more rare in the wild, so you need to engage in more trading or handload ammo.

* More difficult, rebalanced combat. Some enemies get specific changes to their limb health to emphasize tactical dismemberment (like Protectrons are very heavily armored except for their legs).

* Much slower leveling, but you get 5 perk points every fifth level to make up for the slower pace.

* Settlements are expanded with more buildings and features.

* More crafting recipes and cooking.

* More junk items for breaking down, and you always get all of the possible items for breaking things down instead of not being able to remove a gear or circuit board from a car without turning it to scrap metal.

In general it makes the game much slower and more difficult. You actually need to do early work on your settlement and build a network of settlements to have safe bases on Survival mode and income everywhere else. Healing is so difficult (and almost impossible in combat) that you have to move very carefully to avoid getting killed.

I can see why hardcore players might want that mod, but it does sound a bit too hard for my taste.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Because settlers are really useful in horizon, supply chains can also be established using a built utility station (one per station). You can also pre-craft recyclable kits of steel, wood, generators, fast travel points, and things like light turrets to bring with you when you head out to ensure you've got enough parts to establish a camp once you arrive at a new settlement location.

So it's tougher but has some good quality of life things, like being able to ammo swap weapons or rebuild ammo from calibers you find useless, or crafting new weapons that inherit legendary skills. You can also find all the perk magazines rarely in the wild, or skill books which can also be purchased via a new remote trader system. Since there's also a Skyrim-esque skill system under the hood.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The story/campaign are all the same but the free power armor is a lot less effective due to the changes in how power armor in general tends to work (for starters, it only spawns with like two pieces rather than a full set, and both those pieces will almost certainly be destroyed before you even finish the fight).

Fast travel is disabled but Horizon adds its own fast travel system that allows you to travel between settlements, so you can at least avoid some of the tedium of having to run back and forth across the entire commonwealth. You also still get the vertibird later so that's unchanged.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

potaties posted:

The only one I know about is one that's a few years old called Northland Diggers, but it makes some workshop script edits and has a huge bug report section, so I've always stayed away from it.

If you mean putting multiple tapes in the player at the same time, you can, and you can do alphabetical playback or randomized. If you mean "consoling each tape into your inventory", they've added a workbench that lets you just craft all the tapes from the corresponding video mods (though you'll have to update those to the newest versions too.) There's some new projectors and TVs as well. They just added an optional "Theatre Pack" too that adds in a bunch of movie furniture, complete with snacks for your lobby.

Oh thats cool i had first used the mod when the workbench was already out but there were some issues. See its gotten an update in the past week so I'm excited to try that out now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want more jobs for settlers then sim settlements is by far the best choice, it adds masses of new buildings that produce specific stuff for you.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I haven't touched Fallout 4 since a week or two after it launched. Just bought the game of the year edition to get all the dlc and remembered, mods.

Has it got easier to install bigger mods? Is the Bethesda "official" mods auto install and work themselves out? I know if I am to start messing with mod manager again I'm going to go crazy, I just don't have the patience for that stuff anymore.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Depends on what you consider a bigger mod. Nexus Mod Manager makes smaller style plug in stuff pretty easy these days as long as you keep on top of what would conflict or not.

Beemo
Feb 20, 2011
I also bought the GOTY edition in the past few days and spent the time since then downloading and installing mods to prepare for my day off today, only to find that fallout 4 had "updated" during the night.
How long does it take on average for F4SE to update after one of these pointless updates?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just installed the feel good mod of the year: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11500/

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Beemo posted:

I also bought the GOTY edition in the past few days and spent the time since then downloading and installing mods to prepare for my day off today, only to find that fallout 4 had "updated" during the night.
How long does it take on average for F4SE to update after one of these pointless updates?

Don't you want access to Creation Club goodies needlessly filling your drive, huh? A couple of days at most, I think. Keep a copy of the .exe around every time you update F4SE, set Steam to only update on launch and launch through the F4SE Loader.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Another useless CC update, another wait for F4SE to update because Todd wants to push lovely paid mods.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Beemo posted:

I forgot to set my FO4 to "Only update when I launch game", but thankfully I found this:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/1727575977548716993/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dick Trauma posted:

Just installed the feel good mod of the year: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11500/

Far out!

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
There is so much overlap in the top files/most endorsed I am paralyzed in choosing the right ones.

True Storms vs Vivid weather? Which "scrap the unscrapable" mod (and did they ever get a fix for those cell reload issues)? Cause there is like two or three out there.

About the only thing that seems to be a sure thing is sim settlements.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm trying to finally finish a FO4 playthrough. I'm considering switching to console because I have a tendency to spend more time thinking about modding on PC than actually playing and I'd like to just focus on finishing the drat story for once instead of spending hours agonizing over the best tophats to put on raider bosses.

Are there decent mods for the PS4 version, yet? I know I'm going to get screwed out of my achievements, but oh well. I'm especially interested in mods that tone down survival a bit. I like the idea, but in practice getting horrible diseases every time I go outside is painfully unfun to me.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just picked up FO4 do all of the mods listed under the performance section work well together? Trying to keep FPS and load times relatively stable is always my first concern with a Bethesda game.

Also is the FO4 Unofficial Patch mod worth using and does it play nicely with big overhaul mods like Horizon?

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 30, 2018

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I had like 10 simple mods installed and this newest patch broke f4se and everything else. Tried the download of the previous exe, .ba file and interface file even and nothing worked. Tried running the game from steam instead of f4se, nothing. Game launches and crashes before anything even opens. I can get the launcher to work but after clicking play it immediately crashes. Nice. Have verified instlall a few times now. I think I'm going to clean wipe all mods and then reinstall all 100gb of this poo poo and then not gently caress with mods.

Edit: gently caress my rear end turning off god rays let me launch the game... fuckin bethesda and todd. Ugh.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 30, 2018

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Are you not using a mod manager? I use NMM, 60ish mods, new patch hit, game ran fine without the SE, patched SE and things also ran fine.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
No clue poo poo just would not run. I use NMM. I think it was literally the god rays that caused poo poo to not work. I can launch the game now so I uninstalled all my mods for nothing. It was only 10 but eh. Too much bullshit to gently caress with when I'm just trying to play. I've modded this game and the other fallouts a ton in the past and they always get unstable or broken in some way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You always wanted to shoot people with satellite lasers in fallout 4, didn't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKEUYNuewt4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That mod is the one good thing out of the whole dumb mechanic.