Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Minnesota Mixup posted:

When I used to have spectrum/time warner I just bought my own modem/router as they charge something like $9-10 a month for it so after a year or so it pays for itself.

What are the best cable routers these days? Motorola still? I wouldn't mind a hard line to my TV/PS3, I'm assuming the performance would probably be better than wireless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Yes and yes.

edit: I just picked up an mb8600 a couple months ago. One of the faster ones on the market (docsis 3.1), reliable so far :v:, and a not terrible cost.

I should also mention I'm on xfinity.

edit of the edit... you mean modem? or actual router? Modem, see above. Router, most of what's built into a WAP is decent these days. I'm running through a airport extreme and hardwired the basement through an unmanaged switch.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 3, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Today's cider review is old Mout strawberry and pomegranate. You know how "strawberry flavored" anything is always slightly reminiscent of some half-forgotten childhood medicine? This bypasses that problem by instead evoking the taste of cherry jolly ranchers. At last it's not disgustingly sweet and overpowering. Wouldn't recommend as first bottle of the night, 1.5 stars.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have gigabit internet and my break even point on BYOM and router is 4+ years. And having to argue with Comcast that the issue is not my equipment.

I'll keep paying my $10/mo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Yes and yes.

edit: I just picked up an mb8600 a couple months ago. One of the faster ones on the market (docsis 3.1), reliable so far :v:, and a not terrible cost.

I should also mention I'm on xfinity.

edit of the edit... you mean modem? or actual router? Modem, see above. Router, most of what's built into a WAP is decent these days. I'm running through a airport extreme and hardwired the basement through an unmanaged switch.

I just want a non-wireless cable modem for my TV. I already have a cable issued wireless modem but for playing online and watching streamed movies it kinda sucks. If I get one is it plug and play or do I have to call the stupid cable company to activate it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Always buy your own modem, and never accept an integrated modem/router combo.

Always get a Surfboard, Arris currently makes them.

Router choices: Asus or if you feel techie enough, a Ubiquiti Edgerouter

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Router talk: I have been happy with inexpensive TP-Link stuff

Bed talk: When we went in to end this she just demanded it since her rich sister had given it to her. She has no place to put it but yes take your bed you vile vindictive person.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'll wait until Docsis 3.1 is more mainstream and less costly :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How much do we hate all in one PCs?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Router chat: Does anybody have any bearing on the Beam router? https://passel.io/ I like the idea of an integrated VPN/router combo, especially for uhhh "purposes" but since it's only available via crowdsourced purchasing, I'm quite skeptical.

Rhyno posted:

I'm personally not a fan of stationary laptops with a large screen, but they work quite nicely in a retail POS situation where counter space can be an issue.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 3, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Cider talk: for some reason, I find I get a headache from it. No idea what it is that's specific to cider over other alcoholic drinks that's behind that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Rhyno posted:

Pretty much all the hatred.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Router chat: Does anybody have any bearing on the Beam router? https://passel.io/ I like the idea of an integrated VPN/router combo, especially for uhhh "purposes" but since it's only available via crowdsourced purchasing, I'm quite skeptical.

I'm personally not a fan of stationary laptops with a large screen, but they work quite nicely in a retail POS situation where counter space can be an issue.

Asus Routers support OpenVPN built in, and its simple to configure

Alternatively, use Pfsense and a small Micro ITX box and roll your own router.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

Cider talk: for some reason, I find I get a headache from it. No idea what it is that's specific to cider over other alcoholic drinks that's behind that.

That's beer for me. I can pound down 50cl of vodka in an evening without being incapacitated the day after, but more than two beers and I get a headache that is just mean.

Only beers that don't do this to me (that I've found so far) are some lambics.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CommieGIR posted:

Was going to post this. pfSense will run on practically any x86 hardware built in the last 10 years or so (caveat - the next major revision is going to require AES-NI CPU support, which some lower-end mainstream CPUs lack) and is effectively getting an enterprise grade router for free, minus hardware costs. Runs on FreeBSD as its base OS so it's nearly bulletproof in terms of vulnerabilities/exploits, and in three years of using it as my home router it's only ever given me trouble one time, when an update failed and I had to reinstall (was down for less than 30 minutes.)

Re: Arris surfboard cable modems, I bought one but ended up having to replace it with a Zoom modem because TWC had a head end problem in my area that caused a channel to drop, and the modem's firmware couldn't gracefully recover from it. This resulted in the modem frequently resetting itself, and since the model I had was not in use by TWC in my market (but was on their "approved hardware" list) they wouldn't fix the problem at their end. Also worth noting that modem firmware is pushed by the ISP, so if you pick the wrong model you might end up with a $60-100 paper weight.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Asus Routers support OpenVPN built in, and its simple to configure

Hahaha, no poo poo... I keep forgetting that's a thing on my Asus router. I don't poke around in there these days nearly as often as I use to. Thanks for the reminder. :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

Was going to post this. pfSense will run on practically any x86 hardware built in the last 10 years or so (caveat - the next major revision is going to require AES-NI CPU support, which some lower-end mainstream CPUs lack) and is effectively getting an enterprise grade router for free, minus hardware costs. Runs on FreeBSD as its base OS so it's nearly bulletproof in terms of vulnerabilities/exploits, and in three years of using it as my home router it's only ever given me trouble one time, when an update failed and I had to reinstall (was down for less than 30 minutes.)

Re: Arris surfboard cable modems, I bought one but ended up having to replace it with a Zoom modem because TWC had a head end problem in my area that caused a channel to drop, and the modem's firmware couldn't gracefully recover from it. This resulted in the modem frequently resetting itself, and since the model I had was not in use by TWC in my market (but was on their "approved hardware" list) they wouldn't fix the problem at their end. Also worth noting that modem firmware is pushed by the ISP, so if you pick the wrong model you might end up with a $60-100 paper weight.

Yeah, there is a compatibility list published by most carriers that'll tell you if they've tested that model with their firmware.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvzHMmDDTBI

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

I wouldn't by one, but at work they're great because cases take up way too much desk space, or get bumped by chairs and get clogged with dust if on the floor or suspended under the desks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

More lignite for the lignite gods!

I prefer my atom gods

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Change of topic and I suspect many of you have heard this, but if not check out Google Duplex. It's a very focused AI but listen to the samples of the AI booking at a ladies hair salon or a restaurant reservation

https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/05/duplex-ai-system-for-natural-conversation.html

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So the HVAC tech put in a lb of refrigerant in yesterday, we were seeing 56 at the vents when he left.

This morning, we're back to 63. Thursday morning we get to play leakfinder.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

OK JESUS gently caress
I GET IT
WE hosed UP
I PROMISE I WON'T BUILD ANYMORE COAL POWER PLANTS
JUST PLEASE
loving STOP

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Router Chat: I'm using a Draytek and its been the most solid and reliable router I've ever had. I think its now 5 or 6 years old. My ISP in the UK also officially support it as a use-your-own router model :)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

OK JESUS gently caress
I GET IT
WE hosed UP
JUST PLEASE
loving STOP

promises promises

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

You knew you'd never keep

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I for one am loving this weather because I wear jeans and joggers until it’s about 95

I wear a hoodie until it’s about 85 outside because it’s comfy and Michiganders like my office to be like 69 degrees, and going outside to thaw in jeans and a hoodie is extremely cozy

Hygge almost

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
96 here in central NC. A whole bunch of nope in the sun. Not too bad in the shade, though.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

OK JESUS gently caress
I GET IT
WE hosed UP
JUST PLEASE
loving STOP

Look, man, I gotta mine my crypto somehow

*checks market* oh no...my butt money...welp that's a few GWh vanished into nothing, oh well, my only option is to consume even more energy to make up for my losses!

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
talk me out of trading my cadillac for a super clean silver 2004 rx8 6speed

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Captain Crabsticks posted:

Is your Cadillac worth more than 3k? (Assuming the compression on the RX-8 is above 100psi on all rotor faces.)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

slidebite posted:

Change of topic and I suspect many of you have heard this, but if not check out Google Duplex. It's a very focused AI but listen to the samples of the AI booking at a ladies hair salon or a restaurant reservation

https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/05/duplex-ai-system-for-natural-conversation.html

“To obtain its high precision, we trained Duplex’s RNN on a corpus of anonymized phone conversation data.”
Pretty sure I saw this in ex machina.

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Is your Cadillac worth more than 3k? (Assuming the compression on the RX-8 is above 100psi on all rotor faces.)

i dunno, barely. they are selling it for 4k, it has 89k miles and a new inspection. are the plugs easy to access on rx8s? i could bring my compression tester with

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How much do you enjoy reliability?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I'm a card carrying RADL member and yet even I'm going "....what? Why would you do that?"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

i dunno, barely. they are selling it for 4k, it has 89k miles and a new inspection. are the plugs easy to access on rx8s? i could bring my compression tester with

Compression testing a rotary is somewhat different than a piston motor, so make sure you look it up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, since you're effectively testing three combustion chambers with one port, there are some specialized tools to make it easier. Not sure how it's done without those.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well that was an adventure. Friend from LA got ahold of me the other day, he was having trouble with his wrx that I used to work on. Steering was acting funny where it wouldn't drive straight and he was basically stuck out there. Despite a lack of basic tools, a real jack, stands, or any actual diagnosis, he ordered a new steering rack, some ball joints, tie rods, endlinks. I said, well, I'll come out and look and would be surprised if you actually need a new rack. So I drive out there, about 100mi, get the car up, and hey the two main bolts that hold the rack to the subframe are gone. We go grab a set at a hardware store, have lunch, and all is fixed and he can drive back this weekend and return all the poo poo he ordered.

Since it was a quick process I decided to take a more scenic route home along a lake and then over a pass (skalkaho). It wasn't in good shape and I was immediately basically stopping for huge potholes and then clipped a rock which tore a huge hole in the sidewall. I guess it was convenient that I had a floor jack in the car. And I've been meaning to buy new tires for awhile now.

redgubbinz posted:

Look, man, I gotta mine my crypto somehow

*checks market* oh no...my butt money...welp that's a few GWh vanished into nothing, oh well, my only option is to consume even more energy to make up for my losses!

There's a mining operation near me and the neighborhood has been complaining about the noise, from the cooling fans I guess. Fun fact is that it is on the site of a closed down lumber mill. I imagine the mill made more noise.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 4, 2018

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

An 04 with perfect body and compression is worth around 3k.
You really want a 2006+ and ideally a 2009+.

You can check compression by pulling the shrader valve on the gauge. Grab your phone and set it to record video on slow motion. Plugs are accessed via the driver's wheel well.

Problem with the 8's is that the only way to kill fuel and spark is by unplugging the crank angle sensor, which is a pain in the rear end to access on a stock vehicle.

I would pass unless they have receipts for a reman engine going in in the past 30k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's an Acura SLX (Isuzu Trooper) for sale nearby and I fuckin WANT IT.

• Locked thread