Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

What kinda car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A Protege 5 from a fellow goon.

That he hopefully still has and hasn't gotten tired of waiting for me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Uhhh, why would you bother?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't judge me!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

That he hopefully still has and hasn't gotten tired of waiting for me.

You should probably confirm that before checking interest for a driver.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

You should probably confirm that before checking interest for a driver.

He still had it very recently. It just became very evident that I will not be able to make the trip out to get it myself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dude you're making adult money now, buy something better.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Dude you're making adult money now, buy something better.

Alternatively, buy something even worse and then make it better

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WE HAVE A SOCIAL CONTRACT

DJ Comie, tag in here man.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"Adult money" LOL

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Spent my holiday playing Doom 4. Still fun as poo poo. I love good single player campaigns. I'm trying to get some of the harder weapon masteries. I sort of rage quit just now because there's a level where you fight two waves of really tough demons and then just when you think it's over, 2 barons of hell come at you in a confined space. I decided to try and get headshots on them with the gauss cannon precision bolt upgrade and died, only to find that's not the checkpoint, and I have to fight the entire battle a 4th time. Oh well, dinner and then back at it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

LloydDobler posted:

Spent my holiday playing Doom 4. Still fun as poo poo. I love good single player campaigns. I'm trying to get some of the harder weapon masteries. I sort of rage quit just now because there's a level where you fight two waves of really tough demons and then just when you think it's over, 2 barons of hell come at you in a confined space. I decided to try and get headshots on them with the gauss cannon precision bolt upgrade and died, only to find that's not the checkpoint, and I have to fight the entire battle a 4th time. Oh well, dinner and then back at it.

This is the correct way to adult.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Son of a bitch. Just walked outside to get stuff out of the car. One flat as gently caress tire.

Spare is also flat as gently caress. Just tried walking to 7-11 (almost half a mile each way) with the spare... their air machine is broken, and that's the only air machine within a mile. :sigh:

New property management company tows with zero warning (despite the lease spelling out when they can tow, and them having to give 72 hours written notice per the lease, and the state requiring 5 days notice). Moved the car up against a curb on 2 sides (front and left side) with the wheels cranked hard, so if they try to tow it, they're tearing the front subframe off. Per the lease, they're supposed to give 72 hours notice prior to towing, and I should be able to get it towed to Discount Tire around noon.

Rhyno posted:

My friend's 10 and 12 year olds just found out what goatse is.

His wife is not amused at all and I'm crying my rear end off with laughter at her face.

Pretty loving sure I just woke my entire neighborhood up from laughing, thanks. I'll probably have the men in white coats at my door shortly.

ilkhan posted:

Drive done

I'm never doing any long drive without adaptive cruise ever again. Jesus Christ that was easy.

GF and I have a road trip planned for my birthday. It's about 700 miles each way (New Orleans).

She REALLY wants to take her car. The basest of base models (only option is a/c). No cruise. My car, yeah, it's a bit more beat up, has twice as many miles, and it's a basketcase, but at least it has cruise (I don't even care about it being adaptive, just being able to actually use cruise control would be nice). I'm going to be the one driving.

The throttle on her car is touchy as poo poo. The throttle on mine is more of a "I'll get around to it when I get around to it". Both are 4 cylinders. Hers has a really light flywheel on a 1.6, mine has a flywheel that's more at home on a large V6, except it's on a 2.2 (both manual).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 5, 2018

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
It’s SO worth investing in a small 12v compressor. I had a jam exactly like yours that spurred me to pick one up. I haven’t needed it yet but I’ve got some friends out of pickles that would have otherwise got expensive.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slothrop posted:

It’s SO worth investing in a small 12v compressor. I had a jam exactly like yours that spurred me to pick one up. I haven’t needed it yet but I’ve got some friends out of pickles that would have otherwise got expensive.

Yup, and instead of a $$$ tow, I'd put the donut on and drive a mile on a flat donut.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
What has two thumbs and finally fixed his AC so he’s not dying in the central Florida summer?

This guy.

All it took was a new liquid line, dryer, condenser, and replacing every o-ring I touched.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

STR posted:

Son of a bitch. Just walked outside to get stuff out of the car. One flat as gently caress tire.

Can you borrow a bicycle pump and get it to hold enough air to get to the tyre place? Surely someone will have one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Grakkus posted:

Can you borrow a bicycle pump and get it to hold enough air to get to the tyre place? Surely someone will have one.

I moved the bulk of what I own about 200 miles recently, including my bike pump. :doh:

slothrop posted:

FUNNY STORY THERE :haw:

So I have one of those! And... it's locked up tight. It gets hot and pops the power socket fuse. It doesn't do anything else except make burning smells.

Seminal Flu posted:

Yup, and instead of a $$$ tow, I'd put the donut on and drive a mile on a flat donut.

Front tire, on a FWD car.

That said, I'd be up for that, but I have the most basic AAA plan. I think it offers 4 miles of towing, which should be enough to get me to the nearest Discount Tire.

Annoying as gently caress, and I'd rather not destroy a donut that's otherwise in decent shape.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

STR posted:

So I have one of those! And... it's locked up tight. It gets hot and pops the power socket fuse. It doesn't do anything else except make burning smells.

that's annoying! does yours plug in via cigarette lighter or connect to the battery directly? At the advice of an electrician friend I got one that clips directly to the battery and it's been pretty good so far. I had a cigarette lighter one a few years prior and it was hot garbage.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

STR posted:

I moved the bulk of what I own about 200 miles recently, including my bike pump. :doh:

That said, I'd be up for that, but I have the most basic AAA plan. I think it offers 4 miles of towing, which should be enough to get me to the nearest Discount Tire.

Annoying as gently caress, and I'd rather not destroy a donut that's otherwise in decent shape.

Donut on the back, move good tyre to the front.

I wish you could buy solid tyres for emergency spare donuts, like a real max 15mph, do or die jobby. That or a tweel.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

ilkhan posted:

I'm never doing any long drive without adaptive cruise ever again. Jesus Christ that was easy.

GAH color me jealous. That and blind-spot alert are the only two things that didn't come on the Merc, and I want both super badly.

I mean come on how is blind-spot alert not standard on a Mercedes, the champion vehicle of rich old dudes that can't drive for poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

Gonna blow your mind here... front tires fit on the back. :mmmsmug:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Adiabatic posted:

GAH color me jealous. That and blind-spot alert are the only two things that didn't come on the Merc, and I want both super badly.
Fiance ended up getting an Outback, 2.5 limited +eyesight. Everything she wanted and seriously soaps up the miles. Makes me jealous I didn't pony up for it in my truck, but also pushes me even more towards a 3 with EAP.

Also was dumb enough to get a 10.5k mi/yr lease and with a month to go in the first year I'm up to 14,XXX mi. I really need a second vehicle. To be fair though, at the time I had a 5 mi commute... Life does throw curve balls at you.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Adiabatic posted:

I mean come on how is blind-spot alert not standard on a Mercedes, the champion vehicle of rich old dudes that can't drive for poo poo.

Cause they can charge extra for it. BMW is bad about this too.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

National hot dog eating contest winner consumes 74 hot dogs in 10 minutes. That is 74 more than I have had in over ten years. :barf:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Minnesota Mixup posted:

When I used to have spectrum/time warner I just bought my own modem/router as they charge something like $9-10 a month for it so after a year or so it pays for itself.

They don't charge for the modem anymore. Now they charge $5 or $10 for WiFi, and bundle routing in with that, which is bullshit.

CommieGIR posted:

Asus Routers support OpenVPN built in, and its simple to configure

So, if I set up VPN on the router, all devices on the home side of the router are going through the VPN, right?
I like this plan, given the current state of Net Neutrality (good God I want to punch Ajit Pai in his oh-so-smug face), and the FTC giving the go-ahead for massive media delivery companies to own giant media content providers.
I'm embarrassingly low-tech for an IT professional.

The Door Frame posted:

Jesus christ, kids and fortnite are ridiculous, my fiance's brother has spent $300 in 3 months on V-bucks. He's 15, I don't know how he got $300 in the first place, or why his mother couldn't block the charges to his bank account and save me the trouble, but we just had to lock him out of his PSN account and remade it as parent controlled one so he can't waste anymore money

The kicker is that none of the poo poo you buy in game actually does anything. It's all cosmetic.

spog posted:

I always thought was an old wives tale.

You've scared me into having a piss as I type this.

You.. did go to the toilet first, right? Or are you typing in the toilet?
Wait, nevermind. I don't want to know.

Goober Peas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ3EdI5mz08

Happy 4th Amerigoons

I'm the purple hotdogs at 2:10

Well that was trippy as hell.
Gott love the '70s.

LloydDobler posted:

We decided not to go out for fireworks or whatever, so I played Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (finally finished Wolfenstein: The New Order last week) until midnight instead. Nothing more patriotic than killin' Nazis, right? There's a spot in the "Escape" level where you get two light and two heavy soldiers, plus a couple of missile-firing drones, and almost no cover. The drones are a pain, as are the heavies. Then a Super Soldier pops out of one of the trucks blocking the way. THEN, after a pause, a giant mechanical dog crashes through the trucks. *THEN* another wave of soldiers piles out of the wings. The save point is after that. Was a bit frustrating. And there's still another big battle and a boss fight before the end of the level, according to the guide. Stopped for the night before that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

National hot dog eating contest winner consumes 74 hot dogs in 10 minutes. That is 74 more than I have had in over ten years. :barf:

Hebrew Nationals are good. Fight me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apCbe1kmvFo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

dude loves to gobble weiners man dont hate

and what do you have against hotdogs :colbert:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

slothrop posted:

Related to that:

gently caress trying to inflate a bicycle tyre to 50psi using one of these:

Spent ages, knackered by wrist and still didn't get the drat thing blownup fully

Take it down to the car, plug in the compressor and each tyre was rock solid in about 20seconds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

We decided not to go out for fireworks or whatever, so I played Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (finally finished Wolfenstein: The New Order last week) until midnight instead. Nothing more patriotic than killin' Nazis, right? There's a spot in the "Escape" level where you get two light and two heavy soldiers, plus a couple of missile-firing drones, and almost no cover. The drones are a pain, as are the heavies. Then a Super Soldier pops out of one of the trucks blocking the way. THEN, after a pause, a giant mechanical dog crashes through the trucks. *THEN* another wave of soldiers piles out of the wings. The save point is after that. Was a bit frustrating. And there's still another big battle and a boss fight before the end of the level, according to the guide. Stopped for the night before that.

I know exactly what you're talking about. That spot is a motherfucker and might be one of the hardest points of the game aside from the final boss.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BraveUlysses posted:

dude loves to gobble weiners man dont hate

and what do you have against hotdogs :colbert:

You know, hot dogs get a bad rap

E:

Darchangel posted:

The kicker is that none of the poo poo you buy in game actually does anything. It's all cosmetic.

No judgments on buying cosmetics, especially in a free game. Lord knows I've spent $150 on League of Legends skins myself, but that was over the course of 3 years, and I have a job

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 5, 2018

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Somewhat Heroic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNDvpPsYDNM

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

that went from huh to :allbuttons: pretty quick

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I also like to gobble weiners but 3 is my limit.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Goober Peas posted:

I also like to gobble weiners but 3 is my limit.

At the same time? You greedy goose.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

One for each hand and one for the mouth. I suppose I could take a 4th...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

slothrop posted:

that's annoying! does yours plug in via cigarette lighter or connect to the battery directly? At the advice of an electrician friend I got one that clips directly to the battery and it's been pretty good so far. I had a cigarette lighter one a few years prior and it was hot garbage.
Our two daily-use cars have Kobolt inflators that work off of either the cigarette lighter or off of home voltage, and the Impreza has a cheapo 12V-only inflator that I think originally came with a canister of fix-a-flat. The Kobolts are a little bulky but are fantastic -- punch in the desired pressure and let it do its thing, and they seem to work faster off of home voltage which is nice when it's available. The cheapo in the Impreza doesn't even show tire pressure accurately (so you have to keep taking it off and using a gauge to see where you're at) but is small and never has failed me, so I keep it around.

All cars have an inflator and a two-foot tire iron with the appropriate socket attached. Few things suck more than trying to put on your spare and not being able to get a seized lug nut off. (Doing that and then discovering your spare is flat is one of those things that sucks more.) Everyone should also carry a window-smashing/belt-cutting multitool too. I mean, either you're going to run into a serious accident someday or you're going to run into a numrod who just needs to be dragged out of his car and beaten.

I had some LED fake road flares in the back of the Forester. I used them a few weeks back when someone spun on our road. One of the cars driving by stopped after I laid them down ... and then crunch, crunch, crunch, drove over them like a loving idiot. I should buy some real ones.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've got a viair, the 55P I think, in the trunk of my car along with a super long 12v heavy duty extension cable AKA jumper cables. Instead of road flares I have a 3-pack of those pop up triangles, and I've also stuffed in there a small floor jack and the appropriate socket on a breaker bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
totally worth it to get a ryobi 18v cordless inflator, i use it for cars and my road bike and they're like 20 bucks

• Locked thread