Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TTBF posted:

I'm not gonna start anything, I was just wondering if ring cost is why everyone in the Florida indies has to use that one wrestling school's ring.

its likely more that they had to use his promoter's license and the ring came as part of the package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

its likely more that they had to use his promoter's license and the ring came as part of the package

Rockin' Rebel used to do this on PA shows, got himself booked in ROH and Corinos fed because of it.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I remember when we tried to have our own wiki, but people from outside SA came in and ruined it

i dont know anything about this, but i feel i must point out that SA has done enough invasions across the internet that it's hardly surprising a goon wiki would be sabotaged

to say nothing of the ever-present curse of any goon project

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's because if you do it somewhere like Wikia people will stumble on it.

To keep it private you can just host it somewhere other people would never want to visit, like the front page.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

I remember when we tried to have our own wiki, but people from outside SA came in and ruined it

That's terrible, give us enough time we would have ruined it just fine by ourselves :mad:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VJeff posted:

Dreamcast is a good combination of flashy and safe.
What is this move

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the Trouble in Paradise, or a Tornado Kick.

Discus Gamengiri?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Halloween Jack posted:

What is this move

Spinning Enzuigiri to the back of a kneeling opponent's head.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Relatedly, why is every wrestling article written so horribly on Wikipedia? Is there one freak who makes them all sound like a robot struggling to explain the concept of wrestling to an alien race? We know the outcomes are predetermined, dipshit, you don't have to put that at the top of every single PPV article ever written.

On that note what really surprises me is how drat long the write-ups are for wrestler’s careers right down to dates for shows where something minor happened. Big Show’s career write-up is so drat long and in depth there are college students that are envious.

It just serves to remind me that wrestling nerds are on a whole ‘nother level.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yes, there is in fact one person (or at best a very few of them) who pedantically go back and change every last article to sound like a robot. If you go to try and change one yourself, they will be along shortly to robotize it back.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DeathChicken posted:

Yes, there is in fact one person (or at best a very few of them) who pedantically go back and change every last article to sound like a robot. If you go to try and change one yourself, they will be along shortly to robotize it back.

does Wikipedia even have standards for formatting, or is it still just "WE RATED THESE 80 ARTICLES AS REALLY GOOD - MAKE EVERYTHING ELSE LOOK LIKE THOSE"

I gave up on it years ago

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Wikipedia formatting is just a battle that is always won by the person with the most time to waste.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Oh so you’re undefeated?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Oh so you’re undefeated?

More like oldruthless

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wait wrestling entries on Wikipedia don't list theme songs, finishers, or wrestler nicknames anymore. Why the hell would they get rid of information like that, especially finishers/signature moves? It's entirely valid information.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

They claim its not sourced enough and is challenging to maintain (the signature moves section was, but bullshit that finishers were) and so like three people decided it must be removed.

The argument is being made that that's what the pro wrestling wiki is for, and it is, but I don't see any of these people copy pasting that section over before removing it/replacing it with a frankly useless and badly written section in prose about someone's long and dramatic history surrounding the hammer lock DDT.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 6, 2018

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Draxion posted:

They claim its not sourced enough and is challenging to maintain (the signature moves section was, but bullshit that finishers were) and so like three people decided it must be removed.

The argument is being made that that's what the pro wrestling wiki is for, and it is, but I don't see any of these people copy pasting that section over before removing it/replacing it with a frankly useless and badly written section in prose about someone's long and dramatic history surrounding the hammer lock DDT.

I did see a comment on Reddit that said the Wikipedia admins are actually pretty pissed that such a small group made such a sweeping, unilateral decision and that therefore there might be some sort of partial reversal but the part that's so dumb to me about it is, the logic "That's what the Wikia is for" is dumb and kinda circular logic. Forgetting the fact that Wikias are fraught with ads and have absolutely horrid mobile browsing integration, the central argument is "we don't need this because no one cares about wrestling, it's dumb". which is demonstrably false, and the group of people who care about wrestling is probably no more niche than the group who cares about, say, aeronautics or something. Near as I can tell the people who made this decision aren't even wrestling fans. Not everything needs to be super well-sourced unless it's a subject that's academic or scientific in nature. Let entertainment stuff have its own corner of Wikipedia. It's not hurting anything, you loving sperglords.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Are these the guys who used to insist that EVERY wrestler entry had to include that identical paragraph about how wrestlers are performers who are paid to perform scripted events under the guise of character names etc etc?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Are these the guys who used to insist that EVERY wrestler entry had to include that identical paragraph about how wrestlers are performers who are paid to perform scripted events under the guise of character names etc etc?

The very same. As a matter of fact, the guy who spearheaded this horseshit is even trying to get title histories purged because it's kayfabe and they're not actual accomplishments from what I hear. I went to the "talk" section about all this and the moron said there was "overwhelming support" in favor of deleting the move sections, etc. but I guarantee you that means "me and the other two life-free painthuffers who don't even like wrestling and get our entire life's worth out of having a position of authority on Wikipedia think it's a good idea" because literally no one else goes to the talk pages like, ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

literally no one else goes to the talk pages like, ever.

Haha, I didn't even know talk pages were a thing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, I didn't even know talk pages were a thing.

They're literally places to argue about Wikipedia articles. That's where this idea originated and the guy acts like they did exit polling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

They're literally places to argue about Wikipedia articles.

You know sometimes (not often) I feel a little down. Every time that happens I am going to remember there is a place people go to argue about Wikipedia articles, and I am going to feel so much better about myself :shobon:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Does anyone remember the one guy who absolutely refused to allow Zack Ryder for some reason to have his own Wikipedia article? Like it went on for a year after Ryder split from Hawkins and everything that happened in Ryder's single career had to go on the page for their tag team because this one guy was able to use his pull on Wikipedia to prevent anyone for making a page for Zack. Why he decided to exercise his power that way is anyone's guess.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

You know sometimes (not often) I feel a little down. Every time that happens I am going to remember there is a place people go to argue about Wikipedia articles, and I am going to feel so much better about myself :shobon:

I'm glad I gave this to you, my friend.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

D.N. Nation posted:

Bret/HBK from Mania 12.

I mean...it's long. But there's a whole lotta nothing happening for stretches.

Please don't hate me. Obviously both of them are great. But they did better elsewhere.

It doesn't help that they're both super faces and incredibly dull character and promo wise.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Oh so you’re undefeated?
I eventually reached a point where I had an actual goth chick to gently caress instead of arguing about what is or isn't gothic rock with weird German shut-ins.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Baron Corbyn posted:

Does anyone remember the one guy who absolutely refused to allow Zack Ryder for some reason to have his own Wikipedia article? Like it went on for a year after Ryder split from Hawkins and everything that happened in Ryder's single career had to go on the page for their tag team because this one guy was able to use his pull on Wikipedia to prevent anyone for making a page for Zack. Why he decided to exercise his power that way is anyone's guess.

I remember something like that happening with Chuck Taylor.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Gavok posted:

I remember something like that happening with Chuck Taylor.

That was probably just a kid that got scared by Chuck at an IWA show.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

I like to think this was Curt Hawkins.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, can't just anyone edit Wikipedia? What's to stop everyone from ignoring the spergs and restoring the articles the right way?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Nothing except them likely having far more time to waste going back and editing it again than you do.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
that's pretty much it. they are ready for editing wars but they also have the ability to lock pages so only they can make changes.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Here's the Wikipedia argument about Zack Ryder.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'll make the wiki discussion wiki

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Hey what are some of your favorite 80s/90s joshi videos? Matches, angles, comps, entrances, theme songs, singing performances, whatever. I'm doing research for a thing, am having a harder time tracking down stuff than I expected, and love when people do my homework for me.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

SLUM KING posted:

Hey what are some of your favorite 80s/90s joshi videos? Matches, angles, comps, entrances, theme songs, singing performances, whatever. I'm doing research for a thing, am having a harder time tracking down stuff than I expected, and love when people do my homework for me.

Thunderqueen has always felt like a great intro point to me. Lots of different styles in one match. Hot crowd. Twists and turns. Don't really need to know everyone's background for it to be good.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Aside from the 1999 WCW tag team tournament, have there been any other double elimination tournaments in pro wrestling?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Aside from the 1999 WCW tag team tournament, have there been any other double elimination tournaments in pro wrestling?

the 1999 WCW World Heavyweight title tournament had a double elimination

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are there any notable matches that were actually won with a stolen finisher? All the spots I can think of were just near-falls.

e: I guess Yokozuna/Hogan might count, though I always viewed Yoko’s use of the legdrop as coincidental since he used one all the time anyway.

e2: vvvvvv :doh: oh yeah wow that shoulda been obvious haha

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Minidust posted:

Are there any notable matches that were actually won with a stolen finisher? All the spots I can think of were just near-falls.

Montreal Screwjob