Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

eschaton posted:

tag the CEO on LinkedIn and say “hey, remember when I asked for a raise to a salary that was still below industry average, and you said you could just replace me? how’s that working out for you?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

How much did they flush down the tube to not give you $40k?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

iirc he quoted earlier a couple mil

Over 2.5 after flailing around with a third party company that charged them over $200,000 for some initial work and then wanted several hundred thousand more to which the CEO said no.

eschaton posted:

tag the CEO on LinkedIn and say “hey, remember when I asked for a raise to a salary that was still below industry average, and you said you could just replace me? how’s that working out for you?”

eschaton posted:

what’s important is that all the CEO’s peers see it

I am extremely tempted to do this. :allears:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
that owns so much

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

promoted post on linkedin targeting the ceo's connections

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Bloody posted:

promoted post on linkedin targeting the ceo's connections

wait... can you target it like that?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

wait... can you target it like that?

de facto yes, as long as you waste some of your money on targeting other randoes as well. just dial it down super tight wrt ceo's demo

:getin:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Not to rag on people with business degrees... but the CEO has a degree from the university of Phoenix...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ratbert90 posted:

Had lunch with a old coworker yesterday. Highlights include:

New engineer that joined a month before I left got the gently caress out a week after I left.

There is one last engineer left who is now in charge of integrating the 70% done project I left into our server application with no help from anybody else. The integration code was maybe 20% done when I left.

They stopped paying for slack, which has blocked all the previous logs and chats I have had that may have helped him.

They refuse to pay $2500 for a gitlab enterprise license which has expired and has blocked them from using the git server. There are no offsite backups and the CEO refuses to ask me for help.

The CEO is now starting to think that the company should just sell its enclosures and not it’s own products.

I never thought I could actually do that kind of damage to a company. :stare:

Edit: As a reminder, my initial leaving was because they refused to give me a $40,000 raise from 80 to 120 for doing full stack embedded Linux work.
knowing what you know now, would you still be okay at that job for 120k

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

anthonypants posted:

knowing what you know now, would you still be okay at that job for 120k

Oh god no. That was the catalyst. The reaction coming from it told me that I was right to leave, and to never EVER consider going back.

I would however consult for them for $240/hr 8 hour minimum

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

bob dobbs is dead posted:

de facto yes, as long as you waste some of your money on targeting other randoes as well. just dial it down super tight wrt ceo's demo

:getin:

oh gently caress i have some hilarious ideas i'm going to abuse.

a lot of my friends started blocking me on facebook when i was using promoted posts, i feel like i can do more with linkedin

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

Oh god no. That was the catalyst. The reaction coming from it told me that I was right to leave, and to never EVER consider going back.

you mean $750/hr

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

you mean $750/hr

*dog hours

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

you mean $750/hr

On second thought, I make enough money not to ever work for them ever again.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

jfc exporting data as actual xlsx files is painful. can you just specify a column as being a datetime and the excel will treat all cells in that column as one? No, you have to specify the column type as being a date, style the cell as a date as well and then the individual cell content as being a formula that calls DATEVALUE("gofuckyourself" ) to parse it, otherwise you get a cell that looks right but gets filtered as a string not a date until you hit enter on it when excel goes "oh hey a date"

i guess I know why every previous implementation of this reporting component just used csv and made users set up their own data type so everything was peppered with "number as text" errors

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 12, 2018

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

jfc exporting data as actual xlsx files is painful. can you just specify a column as being a datetime and the excel will treat all cells in that column as one? No, you have to specify the column type as being a date, style the cell as a date as well and then the individual cell content as being a formula that calls DATEVALUE("gofuckyourself" ) to parse it, otherwise you get a cell that looks right but gets filtered as a string not a date until you hit enter on it when excel goes "oh hey a date"

i guess I know why every previous implementation of this reporting component just used csv and made users set up their own data type so everything was peppered with "number as text" errors

Yeah Excel sucks, and every API I've used to generate XLS has this same shityness

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i have found manually opening csv in excel and saving as xslx every single time someone wants a report to be less of a pain in the rear end op

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
could you export to ods, or to xml and generate the xlsx container yourself

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

whatever you're doing now - is it hiring

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

could you export to ods, or to xml and generate the xlsx container yourself

its the xml that's the issue. using the openxml sdk is the best way to generate openxml docs/spreadsheets but you still have to deal with problems related to the specification itself. most of them have to do with display issues caused by wonkiness in old versions that has become expected behavior by users.

also you can set formatting in the document itself or in a stylesheet so what goes where can be a headache.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Janitor Prime posted:

Yeah Excel sucks, and every API I've used to generate XLS has this same shityness

ive done a fair number of custom xlsx report generators in apache poi and every time i work with it i find a new instance of it missing what i would think would be a basic function

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bloody posted:

whatever you're doing now - is it hiring

I’m a full stack embedded Linux engineer with a specialty in infosec. There’s a negative unemployment rate for people like me. :v:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm using EPPlus in c# so 50% of the problem is excel being terrible (particularly with dates) and 50%really bad documentation of the library.

also this is based of dynamic queries so I have to check the actual data type of each cell to then generate the proper excel cell type. It works but it's horrid.

edit: because as above, excel doesn't give a poo poo if a column is formatted as a number of you don't also define the individual cells in it as numbers too

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

eschaton posted:

I used to have to explain to people regularly why Xcode can’t just “import” their Makefile and generate a project from it
hey eschaton

why can't u just "import" my Makefile and generate a project from it

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
brew install gnu-tools --with-names

there, now you can hth

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
--with-default-names? Whatever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

hey eschaton

because make files and xcode are bad

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
"Hey guys let's only send diffs fron our dynamic forms to save space in message transmission!"

"diffs" discard null values since form fields are "dynamic" therefore when a value is null or empty it is assumed that the form field was not required to be collected.
This results in situations where once you set field ABC to a value, then try to update it by removing all values, ABC will revert back to initial value since empty string result was never considered to be a change in the first place.

Meanwhile, email infrastructure is dying due to 1.5 million exceptions being sent each day to 40 people that filter emails to trash immediately.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

floatman posted:

Meanwhile, email infrastructure is dying due to 1.5 million exceptions being sent each day to 40 people that filter emails to trash immediately.

Back when I worked at Experts Exchange, we ended up having to create a separate email server for non-Production email traffic because every time somebody tested an email blast or broke the database on Dev or Test, suddenly nobody got their Production emails for several hours while the sysadmins frantically tried to clear the queue. Fun times!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

floatman posted:

"Hey guys let's only send diffs fron our dynamic forms to save space in message transmission!"

"diffs" discard null values since form fields are "dynamic" therefore when a value is null or empty it is assumed that the form field was not required to be collected.
This results in situations where once you set field ABC to a value, then try to update it by removing all values, ABC will revert back to initial value since empty string result was never considered to be a change in the first place.

software engineering

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

CPColin posted:

Back when I worked at Experts Exchange, we ended up having to create a separate email server for non-Production email traffic because every time somebody tested an email blast or broke the database on Dev or Test, suddenly nobody got their Production emails for several hours while the sysadmins frantically tried to clear the queue. Fun times!

so did they use their own site to ask questions or

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Maybe they used snack overflow

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Progressive JPEG posted:

so did they use their own site to ask questions or

The CEO told us to a few times. We said, "Sure, if you're cool with us not getting an answer for four hours, then having the 'experts' squabble over who was more wrong, we'll ask on our own site." Then we just used SO or whatever else came up on Google. I almost never got a decent answer in the half-dozen or so times I tried. I'd log in and check, but I haven't logged in since they laid me off last January and I want to keep it that way!

The only thing I'd log in to do would be to delete the four Java articles I wrote when the CEO bribed us with a week of paid leave if we, as a company, wrote 100 articles by Christmas or something. Not worth the effort, though.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JawnV6 posted:

hey eschaton

because your Makefile is Turing complete

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
holy poo poo you (really anyone) was still either using or working for EE in _2017_????? hhhoooooowwwww does that POS company still exist?

I figured SO killed them dead the second they launched because EE sucked so bad (no offense)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i feel like this conversation demonstrates why dogfooding is important. all employees: our product sucks

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

gonadic io posted:

i feel like this conversation demonstrates why dogfooding is important. all employees: our product sucks

project manager: thanks for the feedback, we don't have time to address it all so we're going to launch as-is and think about these issues for v2

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jabor posted:

project manager: thanks for the feedback, we don't have time to address it all so we're going to launch as-is and think about these issues for v2

are you at my place

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
after launch: okay so these are all the new features and integrations we promised the investor and or client for v2. if we get time we can refactor and look at those bugs

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

gonadic io posted:

after launch: okay so these are all the new features and integrations we promised the investor and or client for v2. if we get time we can refactor and look at those bugs

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

holy poo poo you (really anyone) was still either using or working for EE in _2017_????? hhhoooooowwwww does that POS company still exist?

I figured SO killed them dead the second they launched because EE sucked so bad (no offense)

I don't know! At least part of it probably had to do with a lot of people who don't diligently check their credit card statements every month. It sure seemed like we were hemorrhaging customers for like seven of the ten years I was there, but somehow the lights stayed on in the office. They did lay off like 40% of the rest of the company a few months after they got rid of me, though.

• Locked thread