Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I get the impression that "registered rear end in a top hat" status has less to do with whether you're actually a solid dude, and more to do with whether you behave within societal boundaries.

Pat is a jerk, but he's a relatively inoffensive jerk if you don't engage him; Lyle is a solid dude where it counts, but might use your nice cooking bowl to dunk his nuts in vinegar for a "man-douche."

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Pat is a jerk, but he's a relatively inoffensive jerk if you don't engage him;
He calls in to radio shows to complain about Mexicans and barbers

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I could swear the alt text of that used to reference Pat having the premium edition of the rear end in a top hat card but now it doesn't. Must've been an assetbar comment (rip)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Pat is a jerk, but he's a relatively inoffensive jerk if you don't engage him; Lyle is a solid dude where it counts, but might use your nice cooking bowl to dunk his nuts in vinegar for a "man-douche."

Pat did once make Beef rent a documentary from him, and pay for it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

This is largely within societal boundaries.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Lock them up!!

But seriously Pat's kind of assholish racism has no place in today's california.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

He invites himself into your house, steals your potatoes, and swaps them for chia packets

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pat doesn't have to go around telling people he's an rear end in a top hat, because everyone around him already knows

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

pat accepting being gay and within seconds becoming indignant about his peoples oppression is such a perfect moment

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
He also went from being angry at his father for being gay to being angry at his father for being happy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

Which makes him about average for radio show callers.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

pat accepting being gay and within seconds becoming indignant about his peoples oppression is such a perfect moment

I'd say he's a log cabin republican except for all the frou frou food and other poo poo. So not a republican but more a liberal who would call the cops on a black kid selling water bottles on their stoop.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ryonguy posted:

I'd say he's a log cabin republican except for all the frou frou food and other poo poo. So not a republican but more a liberal who would call the cops on a black kid selling water bottles on their stoop.

Pat's probably the guy with the least culinary talent though, even though he helped put together the cookbook his recipes were the simplest and his food is quote, insanely raunchy

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ryonguy posted:

pat defies any categorization beyond "rear end in a top hat"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Pat is a particular type of hippie conservative that's hard to explain outside the context of California.

Calaveron posted:

Pat's probably the guy with the least culinary talent though, even though he helped put together the cookbook his recipes were the simplest and his food is quote, insanely raunchy
Carolus Linnaeus would classify it as "lovely."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 13, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My impression with Pat is that Onstadt really changed his mind about what kind of character he was, and started quietly nudging him in a certain direction when the interplay with Nice Pete really started to sing, and especially when Rod Huggins comes along. So I don't know, I don't know California very well but I've always sort of believed some of the broader characterization earlier on is overwritten by the more specific and funny version of Pat that develops later on.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Pat's blog is probably the best one, required reading if you haven't already.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Pat's blog is probably the best one, required reading if you haven't already.

Absolutely, I think about sensibilly and his stutter-shuffles and flying heel variations every single day of my lfe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Archyduke posted:

Absolutely, I think about sensibilly and his stutter-shuffles and flying heel variations every single day of my lfe.

“Gravity-sensible, recumbent skitter-carts” is a phrase that still pops into my head sometimes. I don’t know why.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Calaveron posted:

The chocolate chip cookies are actually really good. Pat's only other recipe that I can remember from the cookbook is Fool's Rice, the entirety of which is "make rice without loving it up."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Moe_Rahn posted:

The chocolate chip cookies are actually really good. Pat's only other recipe that I can remember from the cookbook is Fool's Rice, the entirety of which is "make rice without loving it up."

"Omega Potato," which is "Brush a potato with olive oil and put it in your oven at 500 degrees"

The only recipe less deserving of being called a recipe is Ray's Vegetables Delight

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Archyduke posted:

"We have a low retention rate, which I'm actually really proud of,"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Archyduke posted:

My impression with Pat is that Onstadt really changed his mind about what kind of character he was, and started quietly nudging him in a certain direction when the interplay with Nice Pete really started to sing, and especially when Rod Huggins comes along. So I don't know, I don't know California very well but I've always sort of believed some of the broader characterization earlier on is overwritten by the more specific and funny version of Pat that develops later on.
Remember when Corneilus was really excited that Flava Flav was allegedly nearby?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Zereth posted:

Remember when Corneilus was really excited that Flava Flav was allegedly nearby?

Remember when he was tasting different kinds of booze in Onstad's kitchen with Teodor as though he hadn't been drinking since the 1930s?

The whole "these are talking stuffed animals that live in Onstad's actual house/underground animal cities" thing kinda went away quietly early on and I think that was for the best.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Javid posted:

The whole "these are talking stuffed animals that live in Onstad's actual house/underground animal cities" thing kinda went away quietly early on and I think that was for the best.

The stuff they went through to get food delivered was amusing, but the premise did wear thin pretty quickly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Javid posted:

Remember when he was tasting different kinds of booze in Onstad's kitchen with Teodor as though he hadn't been drinking since the 1930s?

There’s references to the underground stuff for a while. Definitely in the strip where beef drops a grand on underwear.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Zereth posted:

Who the hell is Andy?

The middle robot. Not Vlad, not Lie Bot.

And also not Hug Bot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zereth posted:

Who wouldn't be?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Fister Roboto posted:

Who wouldn't be?

He had a blinking tooth!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

csammis posted:

The middle robot. Not Vlad, not Lie Bot.

And also not Hug Bot.

Also not Chucklebot.
Andy is the solid rectangle with no face.
Andy is the robot that has watched two hundred dvds at his place , but Leroy is at class? Not once!

Edit: that is perogis at Vlads

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 15, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zereth posted:

Honestly, beyond the cadence of the dialogue being off, this works. Very Serious People tend to respect the hell out of Public Enemy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, beyond the cadence of the dialogue being off, this works. Very Serious People tend to respect the hell out of Public Enemy.

Chuck D is :cool: as hell.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Javid posted:

Man, I had zero recollection that this was the strip where "WHOO! I am DEFINITELY not afraid of the loving POLICE right now!" came from. That's just such a Ray-ism that I had mentally retconned it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I still love the exchange "there, now. Afraid of the police?" "Uh... a little, yeah." What a perfect way to measure how drunk you are.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bugger the constalbury

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Philippe is standing on it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Phillipe is standing on the Illegal Ghost Bike.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s references to the underground stuff for a while. Definitely in the strip where beef drops a grand on underwear.

It's just in the background, it continues throughout the strip I think. Every now and then you'll see a black or almost cave looking background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey does anyone have the link of Achewood with the mouse over text underneath it? I wanna reread the archives again on mobile.