Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

ExtraNoise posted:

Argh I want to be angry/not angry about game titles literally meaning everything/meaning nothing forever!

The devs have literally said they don't mean anything so I'm not sure why that argument is even part of the debate still.

Also it's kind of funny how much the past couple of pages' argument sounds like a note for note retread of stuff that's been getting said in the Paradox forums for the past couple of months considering how much people here tend to mock them.

Mantis42 posted:

But man, there's gotta be a Warring States DLC at some point. There's more demand for it than there was India in CK2, anyways, and its less alien to the base gameplay than medieval China is to CK2's feudalism.

East Asia is way less suited to CK2's mechanics, but vastly more relevant to its world than during antiquity. I'm gonna be perturbed if there's not China in CK3 but it makes a lot of sense to leave it out of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Historiography wasn't really an art in India until the Muslim invasions introduced it to the subcontinent. The stuff we see written down from the Mauryan era is mostly religious and philosophical works. These can tell you a lot about a civilization, to be clear, but the kind of high level political stuff Paradox games thrive on, there's not too much. Ashoka the Great ruled one of the largest empires of antiquity but the only contemporary sources of his reign are the pillars he constructed bearing his edicts. There was no Herodotus basically.

And many of the ancient historians of other cultures had most of their works lost in warfare, as the deliberate destruction of records was a thing many people did when conquering territory and sacking cities. We only have a loose understanding of who the Romans knew about and traded with due to the sheer amount of information lost during the sacking of Rome.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's amazing how much stuff gets destroyed for good even in societies that produced absolute shitloads of texts. After its devastating wars with the Jin, the Song Chinese libraries were so depleted that they had to ask Korea for replacements to a huge amount of it, for copies of things that had originally been written in China. And that's in one of the most literate societies in the entire world at the time that had a form of printing press and everything. And in Korea the oldest surviving histories at this point are from the 1200s, even though they'd likely been making them going back nearly a thousand years before that and copying their texts prodigiously.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

There's plenty of back and forth between India and the West in this period. Game starts ~two years after Chandragupta's treaty with Seleucus. And in the decades that followed eventually the Greco-Bactrians expanded into India. Plenty of trade going on, especially via the Red Sea, ambassadors going back and forth like Megasthenes, one of the Edicts of Aśoka records some manner of contact with Antigonus Gonatus in Macedon, Ptolemy III in Egypt, Magas of Cyrene and Alexander of Epirus

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

So uh moving on from What a Name Means chat, I really hope the states are a decent size, because having to manage trade/pops/government/etc is going to be worse than Stellaris tiles if there's less than like 5 or 6 of those provinces to a state

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
They mentioned the amount somewhere, I don't totally remember but IIRC it goes up to 8 or so? Or maybe 10. But there will probably also be lots that are more like 5-6 or even less.

Honestly I don't see the problem even if it is like 5-6; divide the 7000whatever by that and you get considerably less provinces than EU4 had even on launch. I'm curious to see all of what's actually gonna be offloaded onto states because right now it looks like there still is a bunch of micromanagement in cities too, but if it's just a few thousand to manage (if you control...literally the entire world) then it should be manageable. Especially since they've had some experience with the macrobuilder now (it was new when EU4 launched) so hopefully a lot more stuff will be accessible via that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jackie D posted:

So uh moving on from What a Name Means chat, I really hope the states are a decent size, because having to manage trade/pops/government/etc is going to be worse than Stellaris tiles if there's less than like 5 or 6 of those provinces to a state

According to a previous dev diary

quote:

A province is usually about 10 to 12 cities, and this is the entity you interact with to control trade and assign governors to.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Thank you

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
It was a much more local world and I wouldn't be mad if it were significantly more difficult to keep a large empire together.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Astroclassicist posted:

There's plenty of back and forth between India and the West in this period. Game starts ~two years after Chandragupta's treaty with Seleucus. And in the decades that followed eventually the Greco-Bactrians expanded into India. Plenty of trade going on, especially via the Red Sea, ambassadors going back and forth like Megasthenes, one of the Edicts of Aśoka records some manner of contact with Antigonus Gonatus in Macedon, Ptolemy III in Egypt, Magas of Cyrene and Alexander of Epirus

Yeah, the arguments some posters have been making that India and Rome had 0 to do with each other is frankly baffling.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

What? The romans talk about the Gauls from the first sack of Rome up until the western empire fell. There’s plenty of documentation on Gaul/Iberia/Anatolia. India.... not so much. Ya know why? It had nothing to do with Rome during the time period the game is set in.

Like here. This is just embarrassing to post.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

For me, the titles of Paradox games are a better indication of the time period they take place in rather than the geographic location they focus on.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Paradox should definitely make CoD 5 though

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Beamed posted:

Yeah, the arguments some posters have been making that India and Rome had 0 to do with each other is frankly baffling.

Like here. This is just embarrassing to post.

I feel ya. Tell me about the exciting and rich interactions India and Rome had with each other. Go ahead, lets hear it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I feel ya. Tell me about the exciting and rich interactions India and Rome had with each other. Go ahead, lets hear it.

The last page is literally full of em.

Lol

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

The last page is literally full of em.

Lol

Oh hey yea wow! Looks like some roman merchants set up a trade post in some southern indian village! What rich history! jeez im so embarrassed for being a dumbass and not realizing the history of Rome and the history of India are extremely relevant to each other! Like, Rome the city that conquered the Mediterranean could not possible have a story told a million times by a million different historians and not be completely intermingled with india every single time it's history is told.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Oh hey yea wow! Looks like some roman merchants set up a trade post in some southern indian village! What rich history! jeez im so embarrassed for being a dumbass and not realizing the history of Rome and the history of India are extremely relevant to each other! Like, Rome the city that conquered the Mediterranean could not possible have a story told a million times by a million different historians and not being completely intermingled with india every single time it's history is told.

Ok just take the L man, this is embarrassing

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jazerus posted:

also we do know about indian history in this time period. from, y'know, the indians themselves. they wrote poo poo down, these are not pre-literate tribesmen we're talking about where the only available records are from a roman or greek perspective

I always thought one of the big issues with Indian historiography was that they wrote very little poo poo down compared with other literate societies until relatively late in the day, at least in terms of recording factual history. We know infinitely more about China in the same period than about India no?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

I always thought one of the big issue with Indian historiography was that they wrote very little poo poo down compared with other literate societies until relatively late in the day. We know infinitely more about China in the same period than about India no?

That’s not a fair comparison as China wrote everything down.

No one really compares to them. Not even Greece or Rome.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Oh hey yea wow! Looks like some roman merchants set up a trade post in some southern indian village! What rich history! jeez im so embarrassed for being a dumbass and not realizing the history of Rome and the history of India are extremely relevant to each other! Like, Rome the city that conquered the Mediterranean could not possible have a story told a million times by a million different historians and not be completely intermingled with india every single time it's history is told.

the imperial trade fleet was at least 120 ships annually for hundreds of years and this isn't counting private merchants. the indian trade was likely worth more than any of rome's other interactions with foreign powers - a single one of those ships held enough value in rome to buy 500 square miles of land along the nile, some of the most valuable land in the empire.

no, they didn't war with each other or anything, obviously, but the roman state was under constant financial stress even with heavy taxes on this hugely valuable trade - you could make a pretty compelling argument that the empire would have collapsed into bankruptcy at like twenty different points in roman history without it.

there is a reason the europeans later bothered to sail around africa just to get to india you know

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

nice

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I actually agree that you don't need India modelled on map in order to represent their relations with Rome. Trade is almost always highly abstracted in these games anyways. Even for the Diadochi/Greco-Bactrians you really only need northwest India to be on the map. But I'm glad they're putting the whole subcontinent in anyways, since its more and more varied content. I'm one of the people who does India games in CK2, even.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Jazerus posted:

the imperial trade fleet was at least 120 ships annually for hundreds of years and this isn't counting private merchants. the indian trade was likely worth more than any of rome's other interactions with foreign powers - a single one of those ships held enough value in rome to buy 500 square miles of land along the nile, some of the most valuable land in the empire.

no, they didn't war with each other or anything, obviously, but the roman state was under constant financial stress even with heavy taxes on this hugely valuable trade - you could make a pretty compelling argument that the empire would have collapsed into bankruptcy at like twenty different points in roman history without it.

there is a reason the europeans later bothered to sail around africa just to get to india you know

Ok, and I think thats about as interesting as you could describe the interactions they had. When you think about history, typically there are landmark events, plots, characters, (everything in these games) within a country, or its neighbors. Theres really no meaningful interaction there. They traded goods back and forth and it benefited the empire.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

People mad about being able to go full 150% Alexander in a video game itt

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

I actually agree that you don't need India modelled on map in order to represent their relations with Rome. Trade is almost always highly abstracted in these games anyways. Even for the Diadochi/Greco-Bactrians you really only need northwest India to be on the map. But I'm glad they're putting the whole subcontinent in anyways, since its more and more varied content. I'm one of the people who does India games in CK2, even.

Well there is a difference between arguing you don’t need something and something had no effect.

One is just opinion and the other is hilariously wrong and proves you probably shouldn’t talk about history. As you clearly don’t know any of it.

But it’s the internet so they will never admit they were wrong and just double down forever.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

How am I supposed to spread Hellenic-Buddhist culture to Ireland without a proper Bactria?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well there is a difference between arguing you don’t need something and something had no effect.

One is just opinion and the other is hilariously wrong and proves you probably shouldn’t talk about history. As you clearly don’t know any of it.

But it’s the internet so they will never admit they were wrong and just double down forever.

lol at the irony in this post. I actually am fine with india being in the game. Even if theres no compelling stories of interactions with indians I usually like the variance a different culture/governements paradox adds to their games. I just wanted to drag on this really stupid argument bc you have such a hard on for india for some strange reason.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

lol at the irony in this post. I actually am fine with india being in the game. Even if theres no compelling stories of interactions with indians I usually like the variance a different culture/governements paradox adds to their games. I just wanted to drag on this really stupid argument bc you have such a hard on for india for some strange reason.

Puppet Master defense? Nice.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Puppet Master defense? Nice.

Idk what that is, I dont post every day of my life. Just like to talk about games. You seem pathetically tied to 'winning' a discussion I hopped into halfway through though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Idk what that is, I dont post every day of my life. Just like to talk about games. You seem pathetically tied to 'winning' a discussion I hopped into halfway through though.

Which is why you keep posting you don’t care that much. If you don’t care, stop posting about it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shut the gently caress up charles, even when I agree with you you're obnoxious as hell.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
in this instance both sides are

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol @ this thread

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Can we get to the important questions, namely can I form the Byzantine Empire?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Sindai posted:

I was wondering how long it would be before someone forgot map changes are always free and go for this hot take.

This would be a keen insight if I had said they were charging for them. Maybe you think the free updates are somehow not part of the dlc model?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Gas

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

What I'm saying is I want Victoria 3

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jackie D posted:

What I'm saying is I want Victoria 3

The Stellaris thread is over that a way.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Shut the gently caress up charles, even when I agree with you you're obnoxious as hell.

empty quoting this

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Will the "India question" be the Imperator: Rome thread's "Collectivism/Individualism" debate for Stellaris?

EDIT: Or, if anyone was there to remember it, the "Westernization" debate for EU4?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Koramei posted:

East Asia is way less suited to CK2's mechanics, but vastly more relevant to its world than during antiquity. I'm gonna be perturbed if there's not China in CK3 but it makes a lot of sense to leave it out of this one.

I feel like the main obstacle to adding China is the fact that it would practically double the number of provinces between China's density and adding in the countries that China interacted with. And with countries China interacted with, where do you stop? After getting through the big hump of adding China, Korea and SE Asia seems obvious, then you might as well add Japan for reasons, and then there's a whole assortment of islands out there within real plausible boat range.

Any way you slice it, that's a lot of devwork, and then optimization on top of that to make it all run.