Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I've got a 2 bedroom apartment. I want it to look less...boring.. but I am terrible with design stuff.

Is getting an interior designer worth it? Or should I just give it a crack myself?

I'm thinking poo poo like, replacing carpet with wood, repainting walls a colour, figuring out how and where to hang pictures, probably rugs, probably art on walls as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol hiring a designer is way overkill. Have you considered... getting a romantic partner first???

Post photos!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I've been looking around for a new couch for a long time. I've gone to a number of stores near me, but the nice-looking sofas there always seem like they're two grand or more. That's at the very top of my price range and I realistically want to spend half of that. Weirdly, though, I've had trouble finding couches around here in the $1k price range (and I live in a midsized city, so I've got all the chains here). It seems like everything I look at in person is either at that $2k range or in a $400-$600 range and not really what I'm looking for.

These two couches have the style and (roughly) the sizing I want:

- Article Ceni
- Burrow sofa

But since these seem to be the couch equivalent of a Casper mattress (online-only), I'm curious: anyone here have first-hand knowledge of either of these couches? Or anyone have couch recommendations that are similar at all to these two?

Thanks!

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

peanut posted:

Have you considered... getting a romantic partner first???

But they both charge by the hour and I think the designer is cheaper.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you have money to throw at it, you could get an interior designer. If you want to do it yourself, hold off for a long time, until you've seen a lot of examples and you have a good idea of what you want. Learning basically a whole new field isn't gonna be the fastest thing, and if your confidence outpaces your learning, you don't want to be bathtub rock moat guy or backlit-LED bed guy same guy. Start reading Apartment Therapy, ignore all their filler and unrelated poo poo.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I too want a couch but i have no idea where to start.

I want to stay below $700 or so but the real problem is my rear end in a top hat cats who claw everything.

My current couch has like a waffleknit fabric that doesn't really shred from clawing and I think that's all I can go with.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

EvilElmo posted:

I've got a 2 bedroom apartment. I want it to look less...boring.. but I am terrible with design stuff.

Is getting an interior designer worth it? Or should I just give it a crack myself?

I'm thinking poo poo like, replacing carpet with wood, repainting walls a colour, figuring out how and where to hang pictures, probably rugs, probably art on walls as well.

Why do you think you're terrible?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Just paint some inspiration quotes on the wall.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I personally prefer ~pretty much anything~ to plain egg-beige walls so just go to Goodwill and get something you don't hate. Old records are cheap and look cool, I also like tacky vintage clocks and quilts.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

jerry seinfel posted:

I too want a couch but i have no idea where to start.

I want to stay below $700 or so but the real problem is my rear end in a top hat cats who claw everything.

My current couch has like a waffleknit fabric that doesn't really shred from clawing and I think that's all I can go with.

I'm sure you have an idea of a couch in mind. The idea might not be "1930s leather Chesterfield in bottle green" specific, but you probably have opinions about the size, material, how comfortable it is, where it is supposed to go in the house, etc. I would start by measuring your space (length and width) and just go to a furniture store and see if they have anything that looks like it could work. You don't have to buy from them, but seeing a lot of things you don't like is often very useful in figuring out what you do like.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

there wolf posted:

Why do you think you're terrible?
Seriously. It's hard to gently caress up decorating a place unless you do something really extreme. Just find stuff you like the look of and that doesn't clash too badly, and go to town. Bonus points since it probably won't look like whatever overly-manicured thing is trending on Pinterest this week.

If you need leads on where to find decorative stuff, try thrift stores, small-time shops with home decor stuff, local art fairs, and basically anywhere that's not a big box store. Also remember when looking at interior design sites that your place is never going to look as flawless as their pictures, since someone actually lives there.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’d get a designer if you dont want to put in the work to doing it yourself. You give them general ideas and they come up with a few layouts / renders that you approve or not.

If you plan on spending at least 10k, I’d say a designer is worth it, but not if you’re hoping to buy a bunch of cheap poo poo and call it a day.

Haifisch posted:

Also remember when looking at interior design sites that your place is never going to look as flawless as their pictures, since someone actually lives there.

speak for yourself fam

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 29, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I spoke to a few interior designers when I started out on my place. One of them wanted to take a few ideas from me, go off and do everything, then show up with a design board at the end and get paid. When I suggested I'd prefer a more interactive process they were positively insulted that I'd want to be involved in the design of my home.

Told 'em to get tae gently caress

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Haifisch posted:

Also remember when looking at interior design sites that your place is never going to look as flawless as their pictures, since someone actually lives there.

There needs to be an Instagram or something that's like "Cool houses that real people live in with their actual stuff" because I feel like those sterile design pictures are the house equivalent of photoshopped models and I kind of hate it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

There needs to be an Instagram or something that's like "Cool houses that real people live in with their actual stuff" because I feel like those sterile design pictures are the house equivalent of photoshopped models and I kind of hate it.

Yeah! We need more good examples of how normal people live. Like this:

https://mashable.com/2016/06/28/house-cat-stuff-australia/#GJiJvFL47mqn

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The problem with that is that there's a big middle ground between magazine-shoot level staging and someone's phone pictures of their room. I follow a couple of blogs that preport to be more real spaces, but there's a lot of Apartment Therapy reposts because they're nice pictures of clean, interesting spaces.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

I'm sure you have an idea of a couch in mind. The idea might not be "1930s leather Chesterfield in bottle green" specific, but you probably have opinions about the size, material, how comfortable it is, where it is supposed to go in the house, etc. I would start by measuring your space (length and width) and just go to a furniture store and see if they have anything that looks like it could work. You don't have to buy from them, but seeing a lot of things you don't like is often very useful in figuring out what you do like.

I should have been more precise. I know what I like, i just don't know what i can buy that these monsters won't destroy.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

jerry seinfel posted:

I should have been more precise. I know what I like, i just don't know what i can buy that these monsters won't destroy.

How old and what species are the monsters?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

How old and what species are the monsters?

Two cat brothers who are both a little over a year old. They have scratching posts but prefer stair rails, couches, and walls.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

jerry seinfel posted:

Two cat brothers who are both a little over a year old. They have scratching posts but prefer stair rails, couches, and walls.

Don't bother. We bought two beautiful chairs. They were delivered and placed in the living room, which has multiple things specifically for the cats to scratch. Within three minutes Gozer sauntered upto one, looked at me, and while still looking at me stood on her hind legs and stuck all her front claws through the fabric.

Now everything has blankets over it, for both claw-prevention and to serve as hair barriers.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

There needs to be an Instagram or something that's like "Cool houses that real people live in with their actual stuff"
There's a reason I keep mentioning Apartment Therapy in here

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Cats are wonderful to live with in that "it's like having a tiny tiger in the house that you get to watch do its thing and occasionally play with" way but you couldn't pay me to have one in my home.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Also your house smells like urine. You might not be able to smell it but it definitely does

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Also your house smells like urine. You might not be able to smell it but it definitely does

And cat poo poo- and cats are obligate carnivores so that stuff smells 90% like rotting meat. One of my friends kept her litter box in the bathroom and one of her cats would take, like, human-sized shits.

I try to avoid common idioms but, in this case, the smell in that bathroom was literally eye-watering.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bathrooms the best place for it, just need to teach the cat to trigger the extractor fan.
E: and clean it at least once per day

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I don't have cats but I have little boys who aren't great about getting 100% of the pee inside the toilet, so their bathroom smelled like a subway elevator all the time.

I discovered the magic of steam cleaners and it is truly miraculous what a jet of 210 degree steam will do for a bathroom.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I love my cat but I’m so paranoid about cat piss stank that I keep his litter box out on the balcony and just leave the door open all summer. In the winter I move it into the bathroom, blast the fan 24/7, and clean the box obsessively.

Get the good litter, it’s worth the price. Wash the litterbox every time you change the litter; scoop the litter at MINIMUM once a day and preferably every time you take a piss, before you wash your hands. Use dogshit baggies for what you scoop, tie it off, and make sure it goes out with the daily trash before you go to bed.

It’s possible to avoid cat piss stank but you have to be diligent and deliberate about it. You won’t notice if your house starts to reek, so don’t rely on your own nose. Make a pact with a non-cat-having friend that they’ll tell you if you or your poo poo ever starts to smell bad. And be rigorous about cat box hygiene even if you THINK it doesn’t smell.

The best decor is fresh air imo

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's OK even if you don't have a cat the neighbourhood cats will poo poo all over your property like they do with mine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I don't have cats but I have little boys who aren't great about getting 100% of the pee inside the toilet, so their bathroom smelled like a subway elevator all the time.

I discovered the magic of steam cleaners and it is truly miraculous what a jet of 210 degree steam will do for a bathroom.

Yep, just one spray of 210 degree steam should definitely teach those buggers to aim straight.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Despite having multiple litter boxes up in the attic, the fuckers pissed on the carpet AND in a cedar-plywood closet, and both have been refractory to cleaning. I can't wait to tear that poo poo out.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Seriously. It's hard to gently caress up decorating a place unless you do something really extreme. Just find stuff you like the look of and that doesn't clash too badly, and go to town. Bonus points since it probably won't look like whatever overly-manicured thing is trending on Pinterest this week.

I’ll agree, but with one major caveat.

Measure out couches before you buy them. Everything looks small in a furniture store because it’s in a large, open space. It will look bigger in your house.

We made the mistake of not measuring once and ended up with couches that were too big for the room. Now I take painters tape and mark where the corners would be. It makes it so mush easier to visualize that way.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Now I take painters tape and mark where the corners would be. It makes it so mush easier to visualize that way.

For bonus visualisation you can also go for empty cardboard boxes or cheap framing wood stapled together.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Litter Genie, y'all. I just got one after moving my cat into a new house and it's been great for making it really easy to scoop the box two or three times a day every time I walk past the box and not have to gently caress with lovely plastic bags all the time. The liner holds in the smell really well and it holds a decent amount of litter. My partner is really sensitive to cat smells and this has been the best solution for us beyond getting a $300 litter box that my fat rear end cat probably wouldn't have been able to fit in.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fashionably Great posted:

$300 litter box that my fat rear end cat probably wouldn't have been able to fit in.

Also I’ve heard horror stories of cats getting caught in robotic litter boxes during a CLEAN cycle and getting, like, covered in poo poo (or actually seriously harmed). Or just being terrified enough by the mechanical bits that they simply refuse to use them.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

surf rock posted:

Or anyone have couch recommendations that are similar at all to these two?

I have this sofa: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/margot-ii-tight-back-sofa/s634847

It's firm, not too deep (I'm 5'3 and sofas have gotten super uncomfortable since the shift to "loungey" depth) and before I gave in and made a slipcover for it, I shampooed the upholstery about once a month and it held up brilliantly. I like that it's got clean, modern lines without straying too far into midcentury-knockoff material. I'm a sucker for the ease of a tight back/tight seat though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

For bonus visualisation you can also go for empty cardboard boxes or cheap framing wood stapled together.

Ive never thought of doing that for a couch, and it’s a great idea.

I have made plenty of paper models for sizing small objects, though. The last one I did was to make sure my desktop speakers wouldn’t be too big.

My wife laughs at me, but it works.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Just size it in a 3D modeling program. Everyone should have a model of their place already anyway.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Just size it in a 3D modeling program. Everyone should have a model of their place already anyway.

I do, but unless you're in VR it's not always easy to get a feel for the size of something.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Or, you just rent out a 10x10 flat, live your life in VR and you can have the McMansion of your dreams for pennies on the dollar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Use inflatable furniture for everything and just have it look like whatever you want in VR!