Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Old thread, which has apparently fallen into archives: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797716

Corresponding thread for plant friends: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938360

This is extremely off the cuff, I just went to go Post Some Mushrooms in the mushroom thread and it's archived, so I'm making a new one. If someone wants to make an OP I'll happily edit it in.

The only mushroomy thing I'm really qualified to say is don't loving eat a mushroom you find outside unless you're 100% sure what it is.
Here are some books (from the old OP, will add some from my local club as soon as I can find them on their awful website) that are good for learning what you're looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/Mushrooms-Demystified-David-Arora/dp/0898151694
https://www.amazon.com/National-Audubon-American-Mushrooms-Hardcover/dp/0394519922

My first finds this year:

Tremella sp., "Witches' butter"

Exidia recisa, Amber jelly roll

Polyporus alveolaris, Hexagonal-pored polypore

Afaik both the Tremella and Exidia tend to like dead branches still attached to trees, so after winter weather or rainstorms that bring down a lot of dead wood are good times to find them.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Some more stuff from winter:

These are probably some kind of oysters

These I've no idea about; they were found under conifers in a well drained area in western NC in late fall if anyone has any ideas.

NEW SECTION: How the gently caress do I ID these guys?

There are a bunch of Facebook groups out there that are full of expertise but also frankly take themselves way too god drat seriously.

Nobody in here is going to yell at you for not posting all of this info but the more of these things you have the better the chance you or someone can ID it reasonably* correctly.
(* lots of species level stuff gets into microscopy and other very academic tests)

Photos:
-In situ (that is, as you found it)
-Top, side, and side views lying flat (ideally with a scale item or ruler)
-Cross section
-Any staining (I.e.,bruising or discoloration) when handled, scratched, or cut.
-Any staining that happens in the 10-15 minutes after you handle it
-Close up of anything interesting (e.g., textured surfaces, color variance, fluid exudation, spots, wrinkles,)
-Spore print (more on this below)

Info:
-Rough geographical area (country and state, province or geographical region is typically fine )
-Time of year you found it
-Is it growing on the ground, on wood, or on something else?
-If growing on wood, live or fallen? What type of tree?
-If on the ground, what trees are nearby? (Within say 50 feet)
-Did it smell like anything particular? (Common aromas include ‘like store bought mushroom’, fishy, earthy, nutty)
-Did it emit liquid from the flesh or gills when cut? If so what color?

Spore prints!
Getting spore prints is just kinda fun but also a really helpful data point for identification.

To make one you:
-Harvest a mushroom. If you have a choice pick an individual that doesn’t seem too dried out. For species with caps you want them to be just opening.

-Trim the stem (if it has one) flat to the cap and blot surfaces gently with a paper towel

-Place on a sheet of white paper with gill/pore side down. For specimens that don’t lend themselves to this orientation, improvise—for example you might lay a chanterelle simply on its side or prop it up on toothpicks.

-Cover with a bowl and wait. After some hours, I usually do overnight, you can carefully remove the mushroom and you should see a dusting of spores on the paper. The color is what’s useful for casual ID.

Some notes:
-mushrooms carry a lot of water, so using thicker absorbent paper or printed paper with a paper towel underneath helps prevent you getting a mushy or moldy mess.
-spore prints can also be very light so doing them on a dark background in addition to white is often helpful.
-try to do a couple individuals in case one doesn’t come out right

the yeti fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 4, 2023

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Did you eat all of those examples? Do you have a favorite type? I'm not a big mushroom fan but I'm trying - I had a Portabella burger the other day that was pretty good, and I like the tiny oyster mushrooms that are found in some asian cuisines.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Astonishing Wang posted:

Did you eat all of those examples? Do you have a favorite type? I'm not a big mushroom fan but I'm trying - I had a Portabella burger the other day that was pretty good, and I like the tiny oyster mushrooms that are found in some asian cuisines.

I didn't harvest any of those; those two jelly fungi could be edible (supposing I've ID'd them correctly) but as small as they are I'd need to find quite a lot to make it worthwhile.
Once I have the knowledge to ID oysters though I'll absolutely be on the lookout for them because they're delicious.

My favorite tasty ones are chanterelles and sulfur shelf, because they're delicious, relatively simple to identify with few to no lookalikes, and bright loving orange so they're relatively easy to spot.

One of last year's chanterelles:

The only sulfur shelf I found:

ed: If you're looking for different ones to try, I'd recommend oysters if you can find them at the grocery. You might also try wood ear (e.g., : https://www.amazon.com/First-Quality-Wood-Ear-Mushroom/dp/B000RHXMCY) that's used a lot in Chinese cooking.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 4, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Thanks for posting this, I've been meaning to bug a mod to take my thread out of the archives but I don't even know if that can be done, either way I'm happy to have a mushroom thread. No good winter finds here but I've got pictures from last year I'll get around to uploading, my goal is to find anything in the genus hericium before 2018 is over

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dang, Gary Lincoff :rip:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

For those that live in the PNW, Puget Sound Mycological Society has a bunch of good resources. They can even identify stuff for you from photos. They host some good events in Seattle and some are very kid friendly. If you have the type of child that would corner a grad student to grill them about fungus I'd recommend it strongly.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Finally got out! In good weather, even. Ordinarily I wouldn't have nearly this many specific IDs, but I was out with Western PA Mushroom Club so there were actual experts on hand.

Diatrype sp., probably
DSC_5515.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Hydnochaete olivacea
DSC_5527.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Oysters :getin:
DSC_5523.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Hypoxolon sp, probably
DSC_5519.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Disciotis venosa
DSC_5496.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

(loving enormous) Dryad's Saddle
DSC_5490.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Edit:
Critters from this outing over in critterquest!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=setseen&threadid=3807356&index=736

the yeti fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 16, 2018

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Was made aware of this thread over in the fishing thread. I love mushrooms! I have basically no experience identifying anything not completely obvious, but I enjoy wandering in forests. A nice combo with shore fishing and camping. Two weekends ago I spotted a couple baby morels while poking around in some very promising old hardwoods. Covered them with leaves (area is a park with lots of foot traffic) and came back last weekend and picked a good 15 from that spot!

babbys

same shot, all growed up one week later

the haul from that spot- we got more from two other spots on that session, but this was the best patch

yum yum yum

don't worry, I added butter once they cooked a bit

A few large dryad' saddle on the way to a fishing spot (we call them pheasantbacks in mn)

anyone know what these are? they were a pretty brilliant red/orange

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

For those that live in the PNW, Puget Sound Mycological Society has a bunch of good resources. They can even identify stuff for you from photos. They host some good events in Seattle and some are very kid friendly. If you have the type of child that would corner a grad student to grill them about fungus I'd recommend it strongly.

Is Bob from Bob's Homebrew Shop involved with PSMS? I'm pretty sure I see him wearing their shirts sometimes when I go in for supplies.

I found some pics of a mushroom trip I did with friends last spring on the Olympic Peninsula. I was the friend who knows nothing about mushrooms and just along for the ride and learning experience, so I don't even know what most of these things are.

We did find some false morels, but we didn't take any to eat. We didn't want to chance it with allergic reactions, etc.

Why not get the background in focus instead of the dang shroom?! :downs:

Some pics of the hike because it is a neat landscape:

Bonus owl!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hooplah posted:

Morel score

Welcome! That's a nice basket of morels you got there! Your orange guy might be Pycnoporus cinnabarinus, but that's mostly a guess based on color.

Kobolds, I'm afraid I can't be much help with yours because I don't know much about west coast shooms and how they differ from the ones around here, but those are some lovely photos and goddamn that terrain is gorgeous :swoon:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Thanks! I never get tired of western Washington. I see various mushrooms growing in the city all of the time so I'll try to remember take and post some urban 'shroomspotting pics.

I just called a friend in Olympia to see if she's going to be around to have lunch on Saturday, but she's going to be out hunting for morels in a different part of the state! I should beg her to take me some other time soon.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Oh! I somehow missed this the first read over your post. This a :science: slime mold :science: genus Fuligo, possibly Fuligo septica, the aptly named dog vomit slime.

Slime molds are neat little critters, generally existing as single cells much of the time but many have a habit of behaving eerily like a multicelled organism when conditions are right, e.g., to release spores as this one is doing.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Coupla interesting things from today:

Another slime mold, Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa var. fruticulosa
[ttimg]https://i.imgur.com/chSUWD9.jpg[/ttimg]

Orange Mycena, Mycena leaiana

Black footed polypore

Platterfull mushroom, Megacollybia rodmanii

Brittle Cinder, Kretzschmaria deusta

No ideas:

Corresponding critterquest post!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807356&pagenumber=20#post484467329

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 27, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Is Bob from Bob's Homebrew Shop involved with PSMS? I'm pretty sure I see him wearing their shirts sometimes when I go in for supplies.

I don't know. I do know that they hosted a great event that my little one who was into spores, molds and fungus loved a lot.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Bookmarked this thread in anticipation of a good fall harvest!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Here's a few from south Alabama. I think I have found Boletus edulis before here, but was not confident enough in my identification to eat it. Our chanterelles seem to pop up about this time of year when it really starts raining-unfortunately that means you have to get on top of them as they degrade rapidly in our heat and humidity. I've had the best luck finding them in mixed pine/oak woods, but also found them under white and live oaks. This is from last year, haven't been out this year yet.

And a bunch of this big bad boys (Amanita muscaria, I think?)show up in the fall around Thanksgiving. Don't eat them.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

And a bunch of this big bad boys (Amanita muscaria, I think?)show up in the fall around Thanksgiving. Don't eat them.

Or, if you do, be sure to decarboxylate first :shroom:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

What a handsome little guy

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Saw this leaving my apartment on my way to work this morning. No idea what I'm looking at.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Hi thread, my girlfriend and I found these growing on the maple tree in our yard. Northeastern USA. We think they're summer oysters, but how can we make sure?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hi thread! I have been shamefully absent.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Saw this leaving my apartment on my way to work this morning. No idea what I'm looking at.

I'm really bad at "little brown mushrooms" --those could be any number of things. What trees are they near?

Goon Danton posted:

Hi thread, my girlfriend and I found these growing on the maple tree in our yard. Northeastern USA. We think they're summer oysters, but how can we make sure?

The /best/ thing to do is find a local expert, but second best is to cut one mushroom and take a spore print, and do some research on possible lookalikes and how to carefully distinguish them. Already wilted? Upside! They'll probably show right back up next year, if not later this year.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Here's some of my finds lately: https://imgur.com/a/RtIp1Ez
If y'all have questions feel free to link one of the images in and I'll tell you what I know.

Highlights:

A milk cap living up to its name:

A picture perfect Amanita sp.:

Stribolomyces sp. "Old man of the woods"

Indian pipes; these are a plant, but rather than photosynthesize, they're parasitic on mycelium. In other words, where they're abundant the dirt is literally full of mushroom :aaa:

This is a russula of some kind but check out the cojoined inside out cap thing

The jackolantern. Chanterelle lookalike. Faintly bioluminescent. Rather poisonous.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

A shameful triple post but :getin:

Laetiporus cincinnatus, a bit past its prime but...

still delicious:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

the yeti posted:

Here's some of my finds lately: https://imgur.com/a/RtIp1Ez
If y'all have questions feel free to link one of the images in and I'll tell you what I know.

The jackolantern. Chanterelle lookalike. Faintly bioluminescent. Rather poisonous.

Have you tested the bioluminescence on these? I found some last year and had to go in the darkest of closets at night time just to see a faint glow down the gills, I'd like to try it on some more fruiting bodies at different times of year since I'm sure like almost all contents of mushrooms the chemical is going to vary in each new fruiting body. The only issue is I haven't seen any since I got the idea last time.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

extra stout posted:

Have you tested the bioluminescence on these? I found some last year and had to go in the darkest of closets at night time just to see a faint glow down the gills, I'd like to try it on some more fruiting bodies at different times of year since I'm sure like almost all contents of mushrooms the chemical is going to vary in each new fruiting body. The only issue is I haven't seen any since I got the idea last time.

I haven't ever collected any jack because I didn't have a container to separate it from any edibles I happened to find. I'd like to take a look though. I'm sure you're right about it varying, it might also vary with the age of the fruiting body too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Saw a few things walking in the woods today. Any suggestions on identification would be welcome.

First we’ve got some snails snackin’ on some ole funky white thing.

And a very betoadstooled dead tree

Complete with fungal mat

Then some very neon unknown shrooms that were next to some equally neon cinnamon chanterelles

Any idea what they are? In the woods of south Alabama if that matters

And finally, a pretty wild looking very yellow chanterelle.

Didn’t take any chanterelles home to eat because I didn’t have a container. I usually think of them as an early summer thing, but it’s been very wet here this summer so maybe they’re keeping going longer than usual.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Its chanterelle and black trumpet time here in NY but I didn’t find any :smith:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Saw a few things walking in the woods today. Any suggestions on identification would be welcome.

First we’ve got some snails snackin’ on some ole funky white thing.

Just a guess but it reminds me of how chlorophyllum molybdites look when they get old, which are the #1 mushroom for hospital/ER visits in America last I checked

They're toxic and make people poo poo and throw up a lot, but I don't think they kill anybody almost ever. But because of how common they are, people being stupid, and they look like parasols or like a white shaggy parasol rather, people eat them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I was up at Lake Luzerne, NY in the Adirondacks to do a fall mushroom foraging class this last weekend. I'm a beginner mushroom hunter and I'll be honest, I don't remember the names of everything we found, but here are some pictures.

Cortinarius semisanguinous.

Something that wasn't a ganoderma.

False turkey tail. The underside was nice and parchmenty.

Very pretty gilled mushrooms that were not honey mushrooms.

Look at this weird, shaggy fungus!

I found this huge, young hericium and ate it.

A handsome gem-studded puffball sporulating hither and yon. There are tons of these suckers out there right now (and their tan cousins, and of course the poison pigskins and all those earthballs).

Cortinarius iodes. We also saw Cortinarius violacious and even some real blewits (alas, too buggy to eat).

I forget what this was (aside from not a turkey tail, and not a false turkey tail), but he was a handsome lad growing from the middle of the trail.

I love jelly fungi.

Painted suillus, if I remember right.

A young Amanita muscaria.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I was up at Lake Luzerne, NY in the Adirondacks to do a fall mushroom foraging class this last weekend. I'm a beginner mushroom hunter and I'll be honest, I don't remember the names of everything we found, but here are some pictures.

I found this huge, young hericium and ate it.

That sounds like an amazing event, do you remember if that's hericium erinaceus? I've still never seen hericium in person but it looks more like 'lion's mane' than 'bear tooth'. Is the light brown color normal in young fruits? Normally it's the old, very cool either way.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

extra stout posted:

That sounds like an amazing event, do you remember if that's hericium erinaceus? I've still never seen hericium in person but it looks more like 'lion's mane' than 'bear tooth'. Is the light brown color normal in young fruits? Normally it's the old, very cool either way.

We thought it was americanum, but it was pretty young. It was much more pink in person (that photo was taken under yellow-tinged lights). This is the first time I've actually found one myself, and the others I've seen have all been very white to slightly cream-colored!

(It was delicious.)

I haven't taken pics yet because my camera batteries need charged, but today I found Cortinarius violaceous, pear-shaped puffballs, and way too much hen of the woods! I also found another destroying angel!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

It's maitake time! Also found more small puffballs, some shaggy looking black boletes I haven't identified, amanita muscaria & citrina, and a giant puffball in a local park during a walk today. Gave the puffball away as I already received one as a gift myself this week.

Oddly enough I also found something that looks like fresh ganoderma growing on an oak tree. It's still growing so I'm gonna wait a couple days and see what happens.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I just moved to the pnw and there's lots of mushrooms around here.

a wooly chanterelle I think? Based on reading the internet, i guess

the virgin forest amanita (hides under a log, is pale, probably never photographed before)

vs

the chad city park amanita (bright red, out in the open, dares children and dogs to come taste it)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

shaggy looking black boletes I haven't identified,

That sounds like old man of the woods or a relative!

I have tons of photos to post, just gotta get organized in the midst of panic week at work and rearranging the house :(

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

the yeti posted:

That sounds like old man of the woods or a relative!

I have tons of photos to post, just gotta get organized in the midst of panic week at work and rearranging the house :(

Seems to be a relative of the old man; rather than having the old man's white-ish base and dark scales, the whole thing is black or near as. I'll try to find more today after work.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Found these in my garden growing all over the place and I'm wondering what they are-

Northern Europe. Growing around Arborvitae

Katt fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 16, 2018

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I went for a hike and decided to pay extra close attention to the ground.

A white chanterelle! It smells like fruit.

Turkey tail? It's very tough and has teeth instead of gills.

This is a russula brevipes, which is the lobster mushroom before it turns into a lobster. I really want to find one of those.

I found a bunch of others and did some spore prints which is thrilling but I'd like to find some more edible ones. I think I'll go out again after it rains and look with more purpose.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This is from memory mind you but consider Hydnellum for your toothed specimen there. Iirc there are only a few genera with teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Been a poo poo season so far and I haven't gotten out as much as I did last year but I wanted to thank everyone who shares pictures, it's a small thread here so I don't want to quote every picture and freeze young people's cell phones but they're great

Unrelated but I don't think we have an active foraging thread: Did anyone else get entirely hosed on nuts? Between last year being what I call a boon year, I don't know if I heard that somewhere or made it up, but a huge nut yield year, and all the floods these last few months the whole area was just hosed. I'm talking dozens of black walnuts in different parks, private property, opposite sides of town putting out like 0-5 nuts. Hickory yield was poo poo. Didn't see a butternut.

Oaks dropped tens of thousands of yellow and black bloated acorns, and early. Squirrels weren't even eating them. Just hoping to find a single hericium and get a doe and I'd be happy at this point.