Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
you really think someone would do that? just go on the internet and tell lies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
no papa

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
open your door

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bhodi posted:

you really think someone would do that? just go on the internet and tell lies?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Elon Elon!
Yes OSHA?
Building safely?
Yes OSHA.
Telling Lies?
No OSHA.
Look at this thread.
Ha ha ha.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ultraklystron posted:

Elon Elon!
Yes OSHA?
Building safely?
Yes OSHA.
Telling Lies?
No OSHA.
Look at this thread.
Ha ha ha.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yoink

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Ultraklystron posted:

Elon Elon!
Yes OSHA?
Building safely?
Yes OSHA.
Telling Lies?
No OSHA.
Look at this thread.
Ha ha ha.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the ultimate endorsement

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Ultraklystron posted:

Elon Elon!
Yes OSHA?
Building safely?
Yes OSHA.
Telling Lies?
No OSHA.
Look at this thread.
Ha ha ha.

lol

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/Volta_Bass/status/1036114260533936128

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

iospace posted:

Imagine four teslas as the edge of a cliff
The first one's autopilot sends it off the cliff.
The second one follows the first.
The third one follows the second.
The fourth one melts in a lithium fire.

Musk's brain works the same way.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ultraklystron posted:

Elon Elon!
Yes OSHA?
Building safely?
Yes OSHA.
Telling Lies?
No OSHA.
Look at this thread.
Ha ha ha.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I still can't fathom paying luxury car prices for a car with 90s import car fit and finish

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Silver Alicorn posted:

I still can't fathom paying luxury car prices for a car with 90s import car fit and finish

The early Model S's you can sort of excuse. You knew you're paying mostly for the drivetrain, effectively a prototype you, a 3rd party consumer, can buy. It's their first car that they built from the ground up as opposed to adapting (the Roadster), so teething issues were expected.

The current models have no excuse.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

iospace posted:

The early Model S's you can sort of excuse. You knew you're paying mostly for the drivetrain, effectively a prototype you, a 3rd party consumer, can buy. It's their first car that they built from the ground up as opposed to adapting (the Roadster), so teething issues were expected.

The current models have no excuse.

yeah, buying a prototype's a dumb fuckin' idea

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i hope grahms dumps elon and he has a huge meltdown about it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It would be cool if Elon was kicked out of the company so that Tesla could be a good electric car.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It would be cool if Elon was kicked out of the company so that Tesla could be a good electric car.

it is a shame. seems there’s definitely potential there.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i don’t think it’s possible for them to recover at this point their debt is going to kill them. the time to have done this was like 3 years ago or whenever it was clear he was mismanaging the company with how the X launch went

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

It would be cool if Elon was kicked out of a speeding Tesla

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Ultraklystron posted:

Elon Elon!
Yes OSHA?
Building safely?
Yes OSHA.
Telling Lies?
No OSHA.
Look at this thread.
Ha ha ha.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

that little ditty is right up there with sagebrush’s lionel hutz business card edit, imo.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Ultraklystron posted:

Elon Elon!
Yes OSHA?
Building safely?
Yes OSHA.
Telling Lies?
No OSHA.
Look at this thread.
Ha ha ha.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ate all the Oreos posted:

lowtax whatever you do don't accept a new spine from elon musk, it'll be made of cast aluminum and cause you to involuntarily run full-speed towards the nearest fire truck

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Rex-Goliath posted:

i don’t think it’s possible for them to recover at this point their debt is going to kill them.
itd be really easy for them to recover by issuing equity and that's abs what anyone except musk would be doing right now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what exactly is the value of equity in a business that has never turned a profit?

like, they were valued higher than ford at some point, but not only can they not manufacture vehicles profitably, they just plain can't manufacture vehicles.

why would you want to own a pile of technical debt and recalls waiting to happen?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i think someone else itt mentioned that their drivetrain stuff is pretty good. spin that off maybe?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

infernal machines posted:

what exactly is the value of equity in a business that has never turned a profit?

like, they were valued higher than ford at some point, but not only can they not manufacture vehicles profitably, they just plain can't manufacture vehicles.

why would you want to own a pile of technical debt and recalls waiting to happen?
in simple terms, the share price is the present value of all expected future dividends. tsla has a ridic share price for their revenues/profits because while there's a big chance of tsla going bankrupt, many people also think there's a chance of tsla dominating the entire electric car market, a la ford a hundred years ago

like google for 'tesla dcf model' if you want to see the maths. i dont agree with it, but it's not particularly weird in and of itself - lots of other 'growth' companies have gotten similar optimism in the past. some of the them worked out, some of them didnt

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

be warned that there's usually a lot of fudging in dcf models, since it's embarrassing to come out with a modelled share price that's an order of magnitude out from the actual share price. models for companies like tesla where all the value comes from the distant future are especially sensitive to the growth rate you choose

e: as one example, this 2017 seeking alpha forecast i pulled from the first page of google uses 70% growth for the next five years and still comes in $150 too low

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 2, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
broadly i get it, i'm just saying unbridled optimism despite a lack of evidence is one thing, unbridled optimism in the face of directly contradictory evidence is just stupidity.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

President Beep posted:

i think someone else itt mentioned that their drivetrain stuff is pretty good. spin that off maybe?

what are some outstanding features of their drivetrain? i figured motor control was a solved problem and any marginal improvements would be available to anyone who wanted to pay more for slightly more efficient electronics. totally not my field though so i don’t know.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

President Beep posted:

too late, everyone else started up their own drivetrain and battery projects and have quickly closed the gap.

Tesla could have largely owned the market but lol Elon.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 2, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yippee cahier posted:

what are some outstanding features of their drivetrain? i figured motor control was a solved problem and any marginal improvements would be available to anyone who wanted to pay more for slightly more efficient electronics. totally not my field though so i don’t know.

using cheap COTS batteries and good thermal management IIRC

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

broadly i get it, i'm just saying unbridled optimism despite a lack of evidence is one thing, unbridled optimism in the face of directly contradictory evidence is just stupidity.
devil's advocate: amazon in the 2000s. losing money hand over fist, neck deep in debt, everyone convinced walmart is going to turn round and eat their lunch

in the extreme, you could write tesla's market cap as 75% bankruptcy, 25% toyota v2.0.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 2, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yippee cahier posted:

totally not my field though so i don’t know.

same here. i was just recalling what someone else had mentioned. guess this is how rumors get started! :eng99:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

too late, everyone else started up there own drivetrain and battery projects and have quickly closed the gap.

yeah, the problem with their growth model is it forgets that everyone else already knows how to build a car, profitably. there's no magic sauce to building an electric vehicle the competition can't develop, but tesla apparently can't quite get the nuts and bolts of building actual vehicles together.

their balls to the wall push to build 80% as many vehicles as the NUMMI factory used to pump out every week resulted in approximately 700 cars that didn't fail QC.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shifty Pony posted:

yep

they had a multi-year head start that theyve almost entirely frittered away on falcon doors and child rape submarines

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

coffeetable posted:

in the extreme, you could write tesla's market cap as 75% bankruptcy, 25% toyota v2.0.

more like zastava motors v2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

yippee cahier posted:

the basics are easy, the details take a while to iron out. everything like getting battery cooling just right, figuring out exactly how much to heat the batteries in cold weather, perfecting inverter control in all environmental conditions, getting a good transition from purely regenerative braking to mixed hydraulic and regenerative braking, and so on. a car is overall a very hard environment to design for because of just how variable driving is and how much people go by "feel" so everything takes time and a lot of test miles.

Tesla had a couple years of head start getting those tricky bits figured out and absurd amounts of data to guide future designs thanks to big-brothering their cars. automakers would gladly have spent lots of money to avoid having to invest that time and risk their competitors bringing a product to market first due to getting a lucky early breakthrough. instead elon spent a year on doors that open the wrong direction and who knows how long on other poo poo.