Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Those two thing sound insanely important.

Yeah, considering how Rome only becomes harder to beat militarily, pulling Cannaes is going to get more and more important, and double consul is literally how that occurred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

The "Field Consul" is the one you control and "play as" as the head of state, as per all previous Paradox titles.

The "Rome Consul" is essentially a player AI co-running your nation with you, randomly encating laws and making changes and overturning your decisions without your consent and you don't even find out about it until you notice too late what's happened and there's a plot against you and the Rome Consul has raised an army of personally-loyal troops to surround the capital while you were off taking out pirates in the straight of Gibraltar you incompetant boob.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Absum posted:

Keep Rome at 1 Consul but give Carthage 2 Sufets or w/e, tia.

:yeah:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ExtraNoise posted:

The "Field Consul" is the one you control and "play as" as the head of state, as per all previous Paradox titles.

That's only crusader kings, every other paradox title you're not playing as anyone you're just France or whatnot.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Issue with modelling the two consuls is that it varied massively how influential they both were - some years, especially in the late republic, one of them dominated events and the other barely features. I guess if you wanted to, you could tie that into some of their stats/prestige/whatever - and of course, you should always actively work to ensure that your partner in the consulship is a puppet.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

"In the consulship of Julius and Caesar" is now the norm.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

That's only crusader kings, every other paradox title you're not playing as anyone you're just France or whatnot.

Fitting username.

I haven't really played CK much. I was speaking generally, as in in HoI4 you're Hitler or Roosevelt or whatever, or V2 you're Victoria or whatever. You play the country but you're also playing as the head of state (and all other governing bodies) when you play the country.

And explaining it sort of kills the joke.

Cool.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

V2 doesn't even give its leaders names.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

V2 doesn't even give its leaders names.

Yeah but you know in your heart.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

Well also more accurately reflecting the political system of probably the most important country in the game. Though I'm not suggesting a true two-consul portrayal, rather one that designates one of them as the nominal head of state that others will interact with and such on the diplomatic layer, but who is partnered with another who holds a similarly named title and gains just as much prominence as the leader from his office. The interactions between these two consuls and their effects can then be abstracted in the game by modifiers based on each of their traits and their persoal relationship and could for an example also influence how hard it is to pass laws (maybe it'd even be impossible if the other consul hates your guts, to represent the consular veto).

It will also mean more characters in Rome will be gaining prominence and thus potentially becoming dangerous, which I think is a good thing.

Pontus has barely been mentioned so far

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Paradox Grand Strategy: I Want To Play As loving Pontus

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ExtraNoise posted:

Fitting username.

I haven't really played CK much. I was speaking generally, as in in HoI4 you're Hitler or Roosevelt or whatever, or V2 you're Victoria or whatever. You play the country but you're also playing as the head of state (and all other governing bodies) when you play the country.

And explaining it sort of kills the joke.

Cool.

This is a really strange way of seeing it, tbh. The powers of the head of state are (usually) just one of many powers the player is granted in these games, so seeing it as you playing AS them feels wrong to me. The official explanation is that you're playing as "the spirit of the nation."

The only game where this isn't the case is Crusader Kings, where you're very specifically given control over one person and have no control over anything else.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, in EU4 and HOI4 or whatever it's not a loss condition (or territory change) for your nation to lose its ruler or change its government type or dynasty or whatever. You're the "spirit of France", and except for your ruler's stats or your cabinet's bonuses or whatever their rule doesn't matter, hence why, say, communist Germany is possible in HOI4. CK2 is much different because a change in administration for a kingdom directly means a change in the land you control since you follow very specifically a single person and a single lineage down the line of succession.

Basically, CK2: I'm only France as long as my ruler Louis remains the King of Francia
EU4/HOI4: I'm only Louis as long as my nation France has a ruler named Louis.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 30, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the player: the spooky national ghost, appearing in the dreams of its nation's rulers to order them to conquer everything

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

a spectre is haunting europe — the spectre of filling up my state capacity

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I keep wondering why Paradox doesn't go even more indirect with their dynastic politics

heck, that might be the way to bring it into modernity; you play the Kennedies or Clintons or hell, even the Rockafellers or whatchamacalls them, the one in all the conspiracy theories (Rothschilds)

That or they hire some of those extra crazy pony people to do the historical horse breeding game. Those are mad bux and would finally bring more women into their games, though I hear the demographics are improving thanks to Skylines and the Mars game

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Does anyone know of a CK2 mod that lets you start reformed (vikings) or at least makes it significantly easier? I don't play these games much, and I'm not good enough that getting the reformation isn't more stressfull than chill.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Prav posted:

a spectre is haunting europe — the spectre of filling up my state capacity making the borders pretty again.

Fixing border gore is the only just reason to start a war.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Don Gato posted:

Fixing border gore is the only just reason to start a war.

Hitler Just Wanted To Connect Danzig

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Germany would have looked dumb if he got it though. All of the dumpy post-anschluss Germanies were nasty.

Edit: I'm shocked anyone bought that Germany would stop at the sudetenland for a second. That is a preposterous shape for a country. It actually looked like a hungry mouth on the verge of chomping down. Hitler might as well have spelled "well, we can't very well stop here, can we?" In giant letters on the map.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 30, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Austria Hungary in the lead up to WW1 are completely in line with an EU player

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've always been a fan of the idea that the player is some kind of alien brain parasite. Every so often I've considered role playing as that in ck2 and migrating from lord to lord, wreaking havoc wherever I went. I'm not entirely sure what to set up as the rules for that kind of run though.

Nuclear War posted:

Does anyone know of a CK2 mod that lets you start reformed (vikings) or at least makes it significantly easier? I don't play these games much, and I'm not good enough that getting the reformation isn't more stressfull than chill.

Why not just convert? That's the real-world strategy for your pagan religion's disorganization getting in the way. Then you can crusade against your neighbors.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Jazerus posted:

the player: the spooky national ghost, appearing in the dreams of its nation's rulers to order them to conquer everything

priest, pointing to the sky: look sire! Words appearing in the sky!! It is truly a sign from the gods!!

monarch: what does it say?

Sky: stop snaking your border you piece of poo poo

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

My stupid awful joke went way more introspective than I was aiming for.

Still like the idea that the other Consul is an AI actively trying to gently caress with you, however.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
a complicated feature specific to one particular nation or region out of many, such as paired consuls, sounds like prime DLC material

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why not just convert? That's the real-world strategy for your pagan religion's disorganization getting in the way. Then you can crusade against your neighbors.

I'd really like to try out being a resurgent Scandinavia but I just can't make it happen -also I kinda want to do it while playing as the lothbrok sons in England but thats not as critical. What are some good starts and tips for reforming the faith? My searches haven't come up with any updated mods that'll let me start reformed

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Nuclear War posted:

I'd really like to try out being a resurgent Scandinavia but I just can't make it happen -also I kinda want to do it while playing as the lothbrok sons in England but thats not as critical. What are some good starts and tips for reforming the faith? My searches haven't come up with any updated mods that'll let me start reformed

Iirc, once you've got the viking horde up and running, you will be more than capable of taking all the holy spots.
Just start off raiding coastal one-province people, they can't fight back. You will soon have more prestige and gold than you can use.

So any moderately powerful viking lord will do.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Denmark is a really strong start, I usually do the very opposite of power gaming and I've managed to reform the germanic faith with them.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

Also, quoting myself here, but I realised that 'resurgent' makes no sense. A surgent Scandinavia?

Anyway, I'm giving it another go with Denmark in the earliest start. Thanks guys

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The only game where this isn't the case is Crusader Kings, where you're very specifically given control over one person and have no control over anything else.

The only exception to this is when you're playing as a literal baby but still distributing titles and ordering armies around and whatnot, in which case you're kinda playing as the regent too.

Nuclear War posted:

CK2+ has a game rule that lets all pagans start pre-reformed, but it's a huge mod and the other parts may not be to your taste. Alternatively you could muck around with the console to give yourself all five holy sites and reform the faith day 1, or download sketchy's cheat menu or something do the same thing with a few clicks.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
i literally reformed as Iceland; it's super simple so long as you understand ABC (Always Be Conquering) combined with raiding poo poo to the ground

if you haven't chain conquered Ireland within your first fifty years you must be playing the charlie start date

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Respect, all I've ever managed as Iceland is to figuratively reform the religion.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
no joke, the biggest hurdle is boats

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

no joke, the biggest hurdle is boats

I literally to kick things off used the merc boats and sent the guys home while my men raided... it worked.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jazerus posted:

It's more like quantum jump, where the player possess each successor to the throne.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's more like quantum jump, where the player possess each successor to the throne.

*stares at charles II-esque self in mirror* i'm...0/0/0?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Haha

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jazerus posted:

Oh boy.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Jazerus posted:

Well if we ever need a new thread title...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

New Dev Diary for Imperator looking at military traditions. Each culture gets three trees of bonuses to fill out that are all focused on buffing different unit types/military tactics. Seeing the numbers in a vacuum obviously makes it hard to understand how much of a difference it will actually make between nations, but I guess ideally the difference will be noticable. The UI also reminds me of the watercolour history illustrations I would always see in the history books I read as a kid.