Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I can’t believe musky has created something that has encouraged people to submit VINs found in the wild to a tracker in some kind of super autistic scavenger hunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

movax posted:

I can’t believe musky has created something that has encouraged people to submit VINs found in the wild to a tracker in some kind of super autistic scavenger hunt
They could make a whole Tesla children's puzzle book. "Can you spot all 10 defects in this car?"

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mystes posted:

They could make a whole Tesla children's puzzle book. "Can you spot all 10 defects in this car?"

and is it one of those hosed up ones where they tell you there are 10 but really there are more and then you get yelled at as a child for not being thorough and detail orientated enough?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i am normal

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

uhh hmm.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I like "bazingas" as a derogatory term for the kind of fake turbonerd who joins the grimes' boyfriend cult

bïmes' cöyfrïend grült

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

movax posted:

and is it one of those hosed up ones where they tell you there are 10 but really there are more and then you get yelled at as a child for not being thorough and detail orientated enough?

lmao if you didn't grow up thinking everyone was lying to you about everything all the time.

trust no 1

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ol qwerty bastard posted:

batteries made by literally harvesting the hearts of orphan children, but after hearing that they can get two extra hours on their phone before charging, people will convince themselves that it's actually good because you know lithium mines used slave labour and the orphans are killed humanely and it's 100% environmentally sustainable

Those Who Swipe Left on Omelas

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

infernal machines posted:

lmao if you didn't grow up thinking everyone was lying to you about everything all the time.

trust no 1

why should i believe you? :raise:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

trust no 1
in fact, op, im lying to you now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FMguru posted:

in fact, op, im lying to you now

President Beep posted:

why should i believe you? :raise:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

President Beep posted:

right, i get that different fields mean different things, but at some point I think it’s common to have a unique unit number. having that be sequential just seems like common sense. otherwise why do agencies look at that data to gauge output numbers?

at samsung we intentionally obscured lot numbers and stuff to make it harder to tel which fabs made stuff

its all big number and letter sequences that mean nothing until you scan it and connect it to a database.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
so if on the week musky hit 5000 cars made 4300 of them weren't suitable for sale why were they even able to claim the 5000 number? it's not relevant to anything!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

so if on the week musky hit 5000 cars made 4300 of them weren't suitable for sale why were they even able to claim the 5000 number? it's not relevant to anything!

what, you think tesla aint already a criminal operation?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Pay no attention to the numbers behind the curtain

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

because they were "factory gated", which isn't entirely something we just made up, and technically it means we "manufactured" them.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Elon, Elon!
Yes Wall Street!
Meeting targets?
Yes Wall Street!
Telling lies?
No Wall Street!
Look at these VINs.
Ha ha ha!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

because it takes a while for the sec to dot all the i's and get enough evidence to charge criminal securities fraud

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they came off the line, and despite the fact that they're literally a punch line from gung ho, it counts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

from the grey thread, remember the lots last month that were just vehicles awaiting delivery and totally not unsaleable vehicles?

they're still awaiting delivery

https://twitter.com/phoennix10/status/1036783888344014848

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Chris Knight posted:

resting rich face

President Beep posted:

obvious, yet...elegant.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shifty Pony posted:

the basics are easy, the details take a while to iron out. everything like getting battery cooling just right, figuring out exactly how much to heat the batteries in cold weather, perfecting inverter control in all environmental conditions, getting a good transition from purely regenerative braking to mixed hydraulic and regenerative braking, and so on. a car is overall a very hard environment to design for because of just how variable driving is and how much people go by "feel" so everything takes time and a lot of test miles.

Tesla had a couple years of head start getting those tricky bits figured out and absurd amounts of data to guide future designs thanks to big-brothering their cars. automakers would gladly have spent lots of money to avoid having to invest that time and risk their competitors bringing a product to market first due to getting a lucky early breakthrough. instead elon spent a year on doors that open the wrong direction and who knows how long on other poo poo.

even so, the irrational exuberance over this is astonishing

we have a real obvious example in recent history: toyota, which was first to market with a hybrid drivetrain and enjoyed a major and lasting lead in that department. aside from the relatively boring NiMH battery technology, those O.G. toyota hybrids were a much tougher engineering challenge than pure electric vehicles. all the same braking transition issues, plus managing the ICE, mixing power delivery between the ICE and electric motor(s), etc. iirc modern toyota hybrid drivetrains have something like 20 or 30 distinct operating modes, but to the user it's all invisible. it just feels like "push gas pedal go forward, push brake stop".

so, what did that lead get toyota? a lot of sales, yes, but it did not in any way stop other automakers from building their own hybrid drivetrains, and they're still here, shipping product. these high tesla stock valuations seem to be founded on the worst of the musk hype, ie that musky's going to ~disrupt~ the traditional auto industry into oblivion, even though traditionals clearly have the in house expertise needed to respond, and have in fact already begun to do so (the EV charge stations at my $EMPLOYER are usually filled with non-teslas)

this mythologizing of the tech lead feels especially weird in light of the fact that tesla's homegrown tech is so very startupy, not anything really solid. like, the battery packs that are still glorified banks of oversized 18650s. yeah maybe that was the right approach to control costs for a startup, but in the long run the money's on battery chemistry and cell design being at least as important as pack management, if not more so. the leads tesla has are all in areas that are relatively straightforward for other companies to catch up on, and they're incredibly vulnerable to being bypassed in the stuff that's actually hard.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm pretty sure a lot of it is based around the idea that autopilot is some magical special sauce that will give them a massive lead in autonomy. you know, rather than the same poo poo everyone else has (or slightly worse) but with all the safeties off and beta features enabled.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

musk keeps telling people bullshit like "all existing model <whatevers> have the sensors for full autonomous driving", and making claims about coast to coast autonomous trips in the immediate future (or near past at this point), and the FTC isn't crawling up his rear end over it, so maybe it seems reasonable

they're selling "upgrades" to the full autonomy feature pack now, they just raised the price even. the "car citizen" thread title wasn't a joke

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think you can count on that

as i just pointed out, there are only 300k total vehicles out there, across all models. making/selling parts and service is not going to be very lucrative

think like, finding parts for your american-market citroen SM

if there is passion for a particular car, there is always a way. people don't always do things purely because they are lucrative. i mean, you mention the SM, and there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc65XxEFk1w

in one of the most recent videos he cracks his SM's headlamp glass while trying to remove it in order to re-chrome the reflector, but was able to find a reproduction part. so yes, even for something as rare and obscure in the NA market as the citroen SM, there are people making and selling parts, and a lovable, crazy, and poor albertan car hoarder is probably gonna be able to do a reasonable restoration job on his SM by cannibalizing parts cars and spending money on the occasional repro part he can't otherwise find.

also,

even if tesla shut down tomorrow, and everyone knew they weren't coming back, their parts suppliers would not immediately shut production down. first, they'd crunch numbers to figure out how many parts it would make sense to manufacture and stockpile for the future repair market, then they'd do that, then they'd do things they couldn't take back, like scrapping fixtures and so forth.

in short, we are doomed to see that goofy T logo on the road for a long time to come

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
tesla genuinely has a lead in integrated automotive electronics and processing

like everybody else buys a subsystems and controllers from suppliers which allows them to scale well but it means you have a million lovely controllers hanging off the can bus but as I understand it tesla has integrated all that into 3-4 central controllers which leads to cost savings and more control and flexibility

don't think many oems could do the brake fix OTA but then again none of them would need to

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

don't think many oems could do the brake fix OTA but then again none of them would need to

there's some solid reasons why you do not want an internet connected device to be able reflash your ABS firmware OTA

the fact that it's being done by a company that allegedly turned of certificate checking for their back end network should also be a glaring red flag

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. this guy is canadian as gently caress

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

lmao. this guy is canadian as gently caress

hell yeah he owns

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

oh btw i went to visit a friend recently and my drive took me through the fremont warm springs district, aka tesla factory country. from 880 and the 262 (misison) offramp, i saw a ton of car carriers full of teslas parked up on fremont's industrial backroads. i mentioned this to my friend, and they told me a bunch of the unoccupied industrial/office buildings in the area have had their vacant parking lots taken over as open air tesla rework stations

i know, it's stuff that's come up in the thread before, but it's one thing hearing about it and another seeing the results of the dysfunction up close

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

back when I was with a company that worked with VIN data from dealer lots we found a few repeats from (iirc) Ferrari. like from different years and maybe also models? it's been a while but manufacturers have considerable freedom with them

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

prisoner of waffles posted:

I like "bazingas" as a derogatory term for the kind of fake turbonerd who joins the grimes' boyfriend cult

bïmes' cöyfrïend grült

me too

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

tesla genuinely has a lead in integrated automotive electronics and processing

lol what

what tesla is doing is the same r&d that established autogiants are doing except it's public facing. they're doing product testing as a part of the buying experience. it's not innovative, it's wasteful and dumb.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

chinese electric vehicle company has billion dollar US IPO

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-chinese-tesla-rival-launches-1-3-billion-u-s-ipo-1535519800

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

muckswirler posted:

lol what

what tesla is doing is the same r&d that established autogiants are doing except it's public facing. they're doing product testing as a part of the buying experience. it's not innovative, it's wasteful and dumb.

I don't see any other auto oems doing tesla style vcfront vcleft vcright despite it being clearly better and cheaper

they might be a meme company but there are some diamonds in that shitpile

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

:wrong:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Malcolm XML posted:

I don't see any other auto oems doing tesla style vcfront vcleft vcright despite it being clearly better and cheaper

in the sense that there are probably a few married women who work in the plant, and so there will be diamonds in the charred wreckage that consumes the factory and everyone in it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

evilweasel posted:

in the sense that there are probably a few married women who work in the plant, and so there will be diamonds in the charred wreckage that consumes the factory and everyone in it

Preferably it would be emeralds though.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FAUXTON posted:

Preferably it would be Rearden Metal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

fermun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4CFiuR3tQ
no one in this video really seems to mention that this is a 5 year old car that was purchased for something like $100,000 so it probably shouldn't be having constant minor equipment failures.

lol its because expensive cars are loaded with poorly engineered, frail gadgetry and the rich are already accustomed to them failing constantly and in the most expensive way possible