Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

CascadeBeta posted:

Is there a good crash course on how to dig into TEW? I started trying to make headway on a TNA 2009 scenario but holy cow there's a lot going on. It's hard to know where to start, let alone how to do poo poo right.

Hmm good question. Here are my tips:

• Start off with a company you're interested in, but that doesn't have two shows + PPVs a week to book. Generally I find the sweet spot to start off with is one A-Show and a PPV. The reason being you want to be booking enough to see guys develop and grow, but not get overwhelmed trying to book something like Impact + Xplosion + PPVs + managing Developmental or whatever right off the bat.

• Each company has something called their "Product". These are what set the expectations of your audience. Spend some time looking through that page, because it is super important. If you have a company that values Popularity over Performance (which I think TNA would be), it will be hard to get a roster of indie guys over. Generally it's easier to do a performance-focused product when you're a smaller company, since you don't have a shot at getting A-ranked popularity.

Once you understand what your audience is looking for, that should influence who you sign, who you push, etc.

Do you have any specific questions or issues you're running into? Happy to help, I play way too much of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

triplexpac posted:

Do you have any specific questions or issues you're running into? Happy to help, I play way too much of this.

I'm going to try and play more of it, I kind of threw my hands up and then lost my install during a reformat and haven't gotten my key back yet from the devs. I do appreciate the tips, I definitely didn't know what to do with the company product screen, especially when it's like, they want 10% stunts or extreme or whatever the value is, but I don't know what the difference between 10% or 20% or 0% is.

Also I just picked TNA because of the amount of times I said to myself "I could book this poo poo better", and I figured I'd put my money where my mouth is. If I can't cut Xplosion I'll try another company, maybe RoH. I think the scenario I grabbed starts with Impact having no TV deal but Xplosion does, which is kind of the worst of both worlds.

From what I can remember, a lot of it is just overwhelming numbers. There's a lot of values to consider and that's why I got hooked on Journey of Wrestling for a bit. The problem with that game is that it's too far in the other direction: it's so simple that it's impossible to have bad matches unless you're deliberately/forced to use bad guys with bad work rates. It was basically impossible to have below a 5 star show after a certain point, with every single show having 3 or more MotY candidates. I still think that has tons of potential though, and am gonna check back with it every couple weeks.

I figure though if I could bust through the CK2 learning cliff, I can probably do TEW.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah, part of the challenge is that the mods are often trying to be "real-world accurate", but don't account for being fun to play. So you can end up in a rough starting position that is hard to pull out of. Kind of similar to how picking the right starting country matters a lot in CK2.

You could also go back to play EWR. It's kind of a middle ground between JoW and TEW.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, part of the challenge is that the mods are often trying to be "real-world accurate", but don't account for being fun to play. So you can end up in a rough starting position that is hard to pull out of. Kind of similar to how picking the right starting country matters a lot in CK2.

You could also go back to play EWR. It's kind of a middle ground between JoW and TEW.

I'd never heard of EWR, I'll have to look into that. I have a feeling based on how I am that eventually I'd end up in TEW anyway, though, so I'm gonna give that another honest shot.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Extreme Warfare Revenge (EWR) is free btw, and made by the TEW devs before TEW. Get it!

Takuan
May 6, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm going to try and play more of it, I kind of threw my hands up and then lost my install during a reformat and haven't gotten my key back yet from the devs. I do appreciate the tips, I definitely didn't know what to do with the company product screen, especially when it's like, they want 10% stunts or extreme or whatever the value is, but I don't know what the difference between 10% or 20% or 0% is.
The only numbers that actually matter when booking your shows is the match-to-angle ratio, which the booking screen will remind you of(I think it's under the "analysis" button on the booking screen. It's been a bit since I played). If your product has any requirements(for example, at least 1 storytelling match, or at least 1 'car crash' or whatever) the analysis screen will tell you this as well.
Any effects your 'Product' has will be outlined in the on the Product screen. You can try fiddling with them, just to see what the different levels can change. The "Match Danger" and "Match Intensity" number can possibly have a huge effect, but they should be where they need to be at the start of any scenario. You should only ever need to change those if you change your product around.

quote:

Also I just picked TNA because of the amount of times I said to myself "I could book this poo poo better", and I figured I'd put my money where my mouth is. If I can't cut Xplosion I'll try another company, maybe RoH. I think the scenario I grabbed starts with Impact having no TV deal but Xplosion does, which is kind of the worst of both worlds.
The autobooker is a lifesaver for B-shows, like Xplosion. B-Shows have no effect on your popularity or momentum and the autobooker will, usually, fill out any requirements the show needs. It has a tendency of running under-time, though, so you may have to manually add a segment.

Something to look out for, but something I've noticed about a lot of scenario makers in TEW is that... well... many of them don't understand how certain stats work, and have an rear end-backwards approach to rating workers, so that may be making this scenario harder than it should be.

quote:

I figure though if I could bust through the CK2 learning cliff, I can probably do TEW.

As someone who loves TEW and couldn't figure out CK2- Yes. you can probably do TEW.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

one feature i kinda wish fire pro had is the ability to just create a card. im sure it exists in the mod community but i only have the ps4 version available. (i own the pc version but currently don't own a pc to play on.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

STONE COLD 64 posted:

one feature i kinda wish fire pro had is the ability to just create a card. im sure it exists in the mod community but i only have the ps4 version available. (i own the pc version but currently don't own a pc to play on.)

That's one reason everyone's waiting on the management DLC. It'll be more involved than that from what we've seen, but honestly I'd be happy with just an equivalent to Universe mode.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Tonight @8:05 EST!
GAME Pro Wrestling presents The Pan-Console Grand Prix Final!
It's the Pan-Console Grand Prix Finals!
-After a gruelling month of competition, it's finally time to determine the winner of this year's Pan-Console Grand Prix!
-The show kicks off with an 8-Way Get 'Em On The Card Scramble featuring Megaman, Sub-Zero, Frank West, Starman, Inkling Girl, D'Vorah, & Markiplier,!
-Samus takes on A New Challenger!
-Johnny Cage made his debut last month at SMAAASH in a desperate but unsuccessful effort to regain relevancy with modern audiences. Tonight he has another chance to show he's still got it against Captain N!
-The A-Block ended in a three-way tie withGilgamesh, Link, and Mettaton all at 10 points, each with a tiebreaking victory over one and a loss to the other. The B-Block winner will be determined by an Over-The-Top-Rope Three-Way Dance!
-Cody makes his return from injury against Kirby!
-A Three-Way Tornado Tag Match between The Returners, Double Dragon, & The Mystical Ninjas
-Over the course of the Pan-Console Grand Prix, Gato won the Cross-Platform Championship from Tina Armstrong and put her on the injured list in the process. Tonight he defends the championship against Ickybod Clay. Can Gato prove he's more than a jobber that got lucky?
-The Super Mario Bros have more wins than any other tag team on the roster but failed at their previous attempt at the Co-Op Championship. They have another chance tonight, but they face the most successful Co-Op Champions in GAME Pro Wrestling history- Chun-B
-Zangief has been a force of nature in the B-Block, ending with a total of 12 points and only a single loss, making him the decisive winner of his block. He'll face the survivor of the Over-The-Top-Rope Three Way Dance in the main event!

https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Takuan posted:

I generally don't run tournaments or leagues in Fire Pro because doing them manually allows much more flexibility. For example, not having to stick with the same referee for the whole show, and I think if I edited any of the participants during the league(like, say, Mettaton's neck injury) it would cancel the whole thing. I organized the league on challonge.com, and it's saying Link won the block, but I can't figure out how it's reaching that conclusion. All three have the same points, and beat one of the other finalists and lost to the other.

Besides, running a match to determine a clear winner is both fun and a more satisfying conclusion.

In regards to archiving stuff on YouTube, I've found Twitch's Export-To-Youtube function works great. It's way faster than recording then uploading the shows manually.

What difference does the ref make?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The ref's movement and count speed will affect how long the match goes. From what I've seen with people who sim a bunch they'll have at least two refs, a slow "main event" guy and a quick one for most matches.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

PublicOpinion posted:

The ref's movement and count speed will affect how long the match goes. From what I've seen with people who sim a bunch they'll have at least two refs, a slow "main event" guy and a quick one for most matches.

Oh that's interesting. I had it for the GBA and never really thought about refs.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

PublicOpinion posted:

Correct. The longer it takes a ref to get into position and count, the higher of a chance there is an opponent can kick out. The referee can also affect other aspects of the match. For example, I have 4 referees I use that each have different purposes:
Makoto- Fastest movement and counting speed, low tolerance for manager interference and tag involvement. Used for undercard matches and tag matches. Tag matches can drag on for ever without a proper referee.
William "Billy" Wright- Fast movement, average count speed, fast outside of ring and DQ count speed, easily distracted by managers. Designed to be a rookie referee.
Phanto- Average movement and count speed, but slow outside of ring and DQ count speeds. Also easily distracted by managers. Phanto lets heels get away with more and allows more fighting outside the ring.
Cid-Average move speed, medium-slow count speed, slow outside ring count, average DQ count and distraction levels- The "main event" referee that allows for longer matches and minimizes the odds of a countout or double countout.

I think it's a cool and interesting aspect of Fire Pro that the referees can have their own personalities and have a big effect on the matches.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay there’s one problem with FPW and a Fighting Road that’s kinda big.

So at some point in the story you get into a cage match. The game has not before this told you about the cage controls- how to actually start climbing the walls and such. Since I played the PC game on keyboard, what I gleaned from the manual (which isn’t even really official?) didn’t help much. And while the tutorials in Mission Mode teach you the basics it’s a long time until you even unlock a mission that uses the cage.

There’s no real in game manual and the controller settings option only shows you the basic controls. I have no idea how they expect people to figure this out (I refreshed myself by running an exhibition cage match.)

I get that it’s a small team but DOCUMENTATION. It’s important! It’s hard to enthusiastically recommend a game to people when it sometimes refuses to teach the player.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They've done 2 roster reveals for 2K19, one for Raw and NXT, the other for Smackdown and 205 Live, and Ciampa and Nikki Cross weren't announced.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I was playing the story mode, and not even 30 seconds into my debut NJPW match, I managed to knock out the ref. Harold is going to love me.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
She may not be a particularly vital character, but jfc WWE 2k19

https://twitter.com/lanawwe/status/1038283844057792512

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I love in the replies people are trying to argue with her

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

I love in the replies people are trying to argue with her

Especially when someone was able to find the exact dumb mock-up poster they used for it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Are they now just going by verbal descriptions of some of these people?

"Okay, next up we're putting in Lana. She's blonde-"

"Say no more, got it."

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Especially when someone was able to find the exact dumb mock-up poster they used for it.

Yep https://theringreport.com/wwe/wwes-awesome-academy-award-mock-posters-include-the-greatest-strowman-i-lana-and-more-a3007

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Are they now just going by verbal descriptions of some of these people?

"Okay, next up we're putting in Lana. She's blonde-"

"Say no more, got it."

No, this is, bizarrely, the opposite problem, where it's a dead-on replication of one specific image... that was a parody poster WWE made a joke during Oscar season.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i am fine tuning a todd sinclair ref and the number of 2.9s he's been giving is almost reaching peak todd.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Takuan posted:

The autobooker is a lifesaver for B-shows, like Xplosion. B-Shows have no effect on your popularity or momentum and the autobooker will, usually, fill out any requirements the show needs. It has a tendency of running under-time, though, so you may have to manually add a segment.

Yeah, B-Shows are easy to just throw together if you don't really want to do anything with them. Just throw together some matches with people you aren't using, or Auto Book them. Then create a segment with like your 8 top stars and call in a "Recap". Boom, you're done. If the show sucks it doesn't hurt your company. I put a little effort in and just book my matches with people not in main storylines or getting used on the main show and a few segments hyping up storylines, but even that is more work than necessary.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I make my B-show 30 mins, so I can do one long match, one squash, and one promo. Just enough to get a couple midcarders over slowly

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I like my B shows as a place to kind of do side stories with lower card people and build them up. I also tend to have a couple of jobbers on 3 month open contracts and I use them there and see if anyone does well enough to extend or sign to a developmental deal or something. Its still just 3-4 matches, which are at least half squashes or whatever.

But that's with a bigger roster and more advanced game. If you're just trying to get your footing in the game then a 1 hour show once a week is and a monthly event/ppv is more than enough to get the hang of things and you can just :effort: the B show.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pressedbunny posted:

She may not be a particularly vital character, but jfc WWE 2k19

https://twitter.com/lanawwe/status/1038283844057792512

They just stopped giving a poo poo, didn't they. Fuckin' hell.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

No one is going to play as her anyway so why bother?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is stephanie still always in the top 2-3 women's rankings?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah they did, about 3 years ago

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
lol they actually did remove Nikki Cross from the next WWE game even though she has never been inactive in NXT for awhile. Wonder who she upset.

Ciampa and Kendrick too, but both were injured for awhile.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

lol they actually did remove Nikki Cross from the next WWE game even though she has never been inactive in NXT for awhile. Wonder who she upset.

Ciampa and Kendrick too, but both were injured for awhile.

People being fired I get, people being injured less so because they're still employed. It's just pointless and lazy especially since there's no chance they're revamping graphics to the degree they can't just lazily slap in the old models like they always do.

I'd say it's because they don't give a poo poo, but that would imply they're given enough time to even give a poo poo or not. The constant 9 month dev cycle is just "hurl it out the door as long as it works"

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Angry_Ed posted:

The constant 9 month dev cycle is just "hurl it out the door as long as it works exists"
It's a miracle the last five games even boot up.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pressedbunny posted:

It's a miracle the last five games even boot up.

Booting up qualifies as working :v:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

didn't they skip a release year and the game still sucked? Or have they been threatening to and never got around to it? I stopped paying attention at '14 because it occurred to me I was rushing out and buying the same terrible game with slightly tweaked graphics and UIs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coconono posted:

didn't they skip a release year and the game still sucked? Or have they been threatening to and never got around to it? I stopped paying attention at '14 because it occurred to me I was rushing out and buying the same terrible game with slightly tweaked graphics and UIs.
Nope. Between THQ and 2K, there has been an WWF/E game every year since 2000 (at least).

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Enough marks buy it there's no way they'd risk the easy annual money by skipping a release

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Livin' the gimmick:

https://twitter.com/ProjectCiampa/status/1039605868483039233

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Here is the break down of who got removed and who got left out

https://www.thesmackdownhotel.com/news/wwe2k19/missing-superstars-from-the-wwe-2k19-roster-full-analysis-and-possible-dlc

Lashley, Murphy, Ciampa, Nikki Cross, EC3, Ricochet, and Ciampa are the main oddballs missing.

That said, they haven't announced any DLC for the game yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Endless Mike posted:

Nope. Between THQ and 2K, there has been an WWF/E game every year since 2000 (at least).
SmackDown 1 & 2 were actually both released in the year 2000, just eight months apart! :eng101:

There's also stuff like All-Stars and Legends of WrestleMania, which could've given them an easy out to take a year off of the main series. Abandon all hope.