Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raldikuk posted:

Ahhh yes, because when you have true evidence of such things you should report that abuse to Buzzfeed, and not you know, the authorities. :thunk:

Also it's pretty easy to see that those claims are unfounded given they're coming from elon "five thousand cars a week" musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Yoshi Wins posted:

Help, I'm confused. Why did they put plastic on the cars? Why is it bad? Is there ever a time when it makes sense for them to be covered in plastic?

Cause the doors were leaking.
There was an earlier tweet of the same lot, where it's clear it's been raining for a while there.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Yoshi Wins posted:

Help, I'm confused. Why did they put plastic on the cars? Why is it bad? Is there ever a time when it makes sense for them to be covered in plastic?

the cars are covered in plastic because they are bad. it is bad because the cars are bad. the times it makes sense for the cars to be covered in plastic is when they are bad, which these cars are (bad).

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I now understand that the cars are bad, such as the skin of a leper.

Thank you, goons.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Can someone explain in layman terms how Musk would lose his shirt in a margin call?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yoshi Wins posted:

The cars are so poorly assembled that rain gets in through the door seals

https://twitter.com/ShortingIsFun/status/1036614251425787904?s=19

Why is it bad? is left as an exercise for the reader

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rastor posted:

The cars are so poorly assembled that rain gets in through the door seals

https://twitter.com/ShortingIsFun/status/1036614251425787904?s=19

Why is it bad? is left as an exercise for the reader

lol

https://twitter.com/ShortingIsFun/status/1036800696614629376

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lmao

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

musk wants to live like a rich guy but all his money is in tsla stock. so he borrows cash money from the bank using his stock as collateral. if the stock becomes too cheap to pay back his loan he’s underwater

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

musk wants to live like a rich guy but all his money is in tsla stock. so he borrows cash money from the bank using his stock as collateral. if the stock becomes too cheap to pay back his loan he’s underwater

No money left to buy drugs?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

Can someone explain in layman terms how Musk would lose his shirt in a margin call?

margin is a collateralized loan based on the value of your securities (stocks, bonds, etc). it varies between securities but generally more volatile ones like stocks are about 50% of the value at the time of borrowing (at least for the S&P 500 stocks my company deals with) to up to 70% on strong corporate, treasury, or municipal bonds

so lets say you were borrowing on margin with a mixed, wide exposure $1 million all stocks brokerage account (a bank that lets you conduct securities trades) and you went to the maximum 50%. The market doesnt have to dip very far to get a margin call, but reducing the borrowed assets from 51% to 50% of your total portfolio isnt as bad. not like you would want to be at max leverage all the time, but in a mixed portfolio youre not quite as exposed as elon is

TSLA is a pretty volatile stock and all of elons margin is based on its value. if elon hits margin call territory it will likely keep plummetting, which means he has to add more money to reduce his margin balance or the brokerage holding his shares will force him to sell them off. since elon is the face and CEO of the company, this would likely trigger panic selling from other holders

so elon is then in a position where he has to pay back a loan backed by an asset, his TSLA shares, that is rapidly depreciating in value while everyone else is also trying to cash out

cumshitter has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Sep 6, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lmao

https://twitter.com/steveshmidt/status/1036805767599292417

https://twitter.com/steveshmidt/status/1036842070038654976

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Took a quick scroll through this time-line. Lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cumshitter posted:

so elon is then in a position where he has to pay back a loan backed by an asset, his TSLA shares, that is rapidly depreciating in value while everyone else is also trying to cash out

Thanks this is probably the real reason he whines about the dishonest Tesla short conspiracy.

He's afraid he will lose his drug money funding

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Fact: Tesla owners are the most satisfied new car owners.

Fact: Tesla cars are so poo poo they will literally fall apart in rain, driving or parked, from inside and outside.

Extrapolation: :thunk:

BioMe has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Sep 6, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BioMe posted:

Fact: Tesla owners are the most satisfied new car owners.

Fact: Tesla cars or so poo poo they will literally fall apart in rain, driving or parked, from inside and outside.

Extrapolation: :thunk:

It's like how Apple fans still worship the company despite Apple bending them over the barrel and expecting customers to pay out of pocket design escapes.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Its a cult lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Streak posted:

Took a quick scroll through this time-line. Lol

it's p great

https://twitter.com/steveshmidt/status/930555409433214976

https://twitter.com/steveshmidt/status/930366703233507333

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Tesla owners are the Dwight Schrutes of society.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
maybe it's elong's sockpuppet

https://twitter.com/steveshmidt/status/801200546124177409

https://twitter.com/steveshmidt/status/840612954047303681

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

yellowcar posted:

Tesla owners are the Dwight Schrutes of society.

Dwight was actually pretty smart and right about stuff even if he was a dork about it

Tesla owners are the Tesla owners of society.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Streak posted:

Wow man, that’s harsh.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Streak posted:

Dwight was actually pretty smart and right about stuff even if he was a dork about it

ya but he still gets owned all the time

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

He has PayPal money, guys. Musk isn't going broke unless he manages to set over a hundred million dollars of personal assets on fire.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

ShriekingMarxist posted:

aren't smart phones already a ridiculously unsustainable technology w/r/t rare earth metals and production especially as far as "current material conditions" goes (smart phones being like little blossoms on a bush that's obviously dying)? i can't imagine leaning hard into the SMART CAR

i think it's more the "rare" being in the name, and not being used until recently so the full deposits aren't as mapped out as say oil

you get stuff like this when we start really looking:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/12/japan-rare-earths-huge-deposit-of-metals-found-in-pacific.html

quote:

Researchers have found hundreds of years' worth of rare-earth materials underneath Japanese waters — enough to supply to the world on a "semi-infinite basis," according to a study published in Nature Publishing Group's Scientific Reports.
Rare-earth metals are crucial in the making of high-tech products such as electric vehicles and batteries, and most of the world has relied on China for almost all of its needs.

granted, they have to do a proper survey to see how economically viable, or more accurately at what price point it'd be viable, excavation is here, buuuut

quote:

The seabed contains more than 16 million tons of rare-earth oxides, according to the study. That's equivalent to 780 years' worth of yttrium supply, 620 years of europium, 420 years of terbium and 730 years of dysprosium, it added.

:popeye:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
https://twitter.com/steveshmidt/status/1032478181956104192
lol

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vox Nihili posted:

He has PayPal money, guys. Musk isn't going broke unless he manages to set over a hundred million dollars of personal assets on fire.

I believe in him.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

orcinus posted:

Cause the doors were leaking.
There was an earlier tweet of the same lot, where it's clear it's been raining for a while there.

My first car back in college was a used mid-90s Oldsmobile Achieva, and eventually it developed a leak somewhere that often, but not always, resulted in the foot wells flooding after a rainstorm. By that point it had over a hundred thousand miles on it and I was a short-sighted idiot in my twenties so my brilliant solution was to just keep a few towels handy after the body shop I took it to replaced the seals without fixing whatever the problem was.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

quote:

The seabed contains more than 16 million tons of rare-earth oxides, according to the study. That's equivalent to 780 years' worth of yttrium supply, 620 years of europium, 420 years of terbium and 730 years of dysprosium, it added.

Reminds me of getting to the all the minerals with funny names at the bottom of this old game, anyone remember?

http://www.xgenstudios.com/game.php?keyword=motherload

(caution: addictive, although it runs out)

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

explains why fossil fuels were never viable

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

galacy brian

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

They're sorta right in that pumping hydrogen is really energy intensive and it's really hard to keep it from leaking, not that infrastructure at all in impossible.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

I'm "moter"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

thats exactly whats gonna happen if margin call thresholds are triggered tho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they look like cheap aftermarket mods

all not even set into the dash

The "not set into the dash" thing unfortunately isn't unique to Tesla; it's the one gripe I have with the Honda Accord I'm planning on getting soon. Though at least that still has other physical controls and some physical buttons/knobs on the display.

Yinlock posted:

why is it flying

Musk is a fucken genius man, he can do the impossible, including flying semi trucks

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Sep 6, 2018

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Hydrogen cars and hydrogen economy truly is a pretty stupid and inefficient proposition, tho.
Hydrogen fanboys are to EV fanboys like Tesla fanboys are to the normal populace.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Unsworth's wife must be so confused, lol. All of a sudden the media is like "hey, famous billionaire Elon Musk is calling your husband a pedo (and you a 12 year old child), got any comments??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

orcinus posted:

Hydrogen cars and hydrogen economy truly is a pretty stupid and inefficient proposition, tho.
Hydrogen fanboys are to EV fanboys like Tesla fanboys are to the normal populace.

There's a lot of promise in hydrogen fixation to methanol or another hydrocarbon but the hydrogen economy with hydrogen infrastructure is pretty inefficient.