Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

President Beep posted:

i like to think that elon has likely at least read screencaps from this thread and has therefore possibly been exposed to my are posts.

didn't think I could feel bad for a rich guy but welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wheany posted:

Oh man, stop the investigation, the man has already suffered enough

look at his calendar, there’s no a single entry for security fraud that week

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

some more details about the abandoned settlement

quote:

Under the terms of the agreement, what started on Aug. 7 ... would end with some modest penalties and Mr. Musk staying on as chief executive, according to two people briefed on the talks.

The plan, as it was negotiated by lawyers, was for Mr. Musk to step down as chairman of Tesla within 45 days and not resume that post for two years. The company, also a party to the proposed agreement, would add two new directors to its board.

wouldn't even have to give up being CEO, so what was so intolerable??

quote:

The settlement with the S.E.C. was a “neither admit nor deny” deal, meaning that Mr. Musk would not have acknowledged knowingly committing a violation. Mr. Musk, however, would not have been allowed to publicly state that he had done nothing wrong — and that was something he couldn’t accept, according to three people familiar with the talks.

lmao there it is

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lime posted:

some more details about the abandoned settlement

wouldn't even have to give up being CEO, so what was so intolerable??

lmao there it is

because just not loving talking about it was too much

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
elon, you are a zero
handed ev’ry thing in life

elon, you are a zero
i feel bad for your ex wiiife

i say, elon, it’s time to gooo
tesla? it’s a poo poo shoooowwww

elon, you are zero
no more four twentyyyyy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my hobby: watching people born into tremendous wealth fall due to their own hubris and lack of intelligence

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

cripes

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

does anyone have the link to where tesla linked enron's musk's twitter account for investor updates?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

everyone who has billions of dollars and keeps working is an idiot

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

qirex posted:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

dang it I should have said 'but beep finds a way'

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Achmed Jones posted:

my hobby: watching people born into tremendous wealth fall due to their own hubris and lack of intelligence

watching a billionaire score a yearlong series of own-goals, culminating in being investigated by both the SEC and DOJ, while his company collapses has certainly been cathartic

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

qirex posted:

Maciej Cegłowski is doing it right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

eh people gotta do something. if i had the ability to be an idle rich i'd still, like, run a boutique motorcycle company or something, like keanu reeves does.

the toxic part is when, instead of retiring to the countryside to build guitars, you keep hammering away at your billion dollar companies because you've hosed your brain so hard that making money is your only remaining passion

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Sagebrush posted:

eh people gotta do something. if i had the ability to be an idle rich i'd still, like, run a boutique motorcycle company or something, like keanu reeves does.

This is basically why like 90% of the people in the nonprofit sector (who aren't fresh faced 20-somethings being paid peanuts and having their dreams crushed) are useless shits.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

I would do exactly what Kermit Weeks does, except not in hurricane magnet florida

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

mrmcd posted:

This is basically why like 90% of the people in the nonprofit sector (who aren't fresh faced 20-somethings being paid peanuts and having their dreams crushed) are useless shits.

not to be confused with founding an NPO and giving yourself a luxurious salary and a company yacht.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

yeah thats still idle rich. its called having a hobby

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

qirex posted:

depends on who's "Working" versus "working" versus "getting blowjobs in the sex dungeon at hq counts as work right"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

yeah thats still idle rich. its called having a hobby

What if you hobby is cutting arms off of blue collar workers while paying them less than a living wage, like Bezos?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Powershift posted:

What if you hobby is cutting arms off of blue collar workers while paying them less than a living wage, like Bezos?

Less limbs means less energy expenditure and upkeep costs, it's really just looking out for the workers' interests

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Powershift posted:

he also yells at people

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
the devil makes work for idle hands

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah but elon works for 27/9 and hasn’t left the gigglefactory in 10,000 days.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Achmed Jones posted:

please do not forget that no matter what happens (unless criminal investigations start) that elon is still immensely rich and free to live his life the way he chooses (as long as he isn't a ceo :newlol:)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

gigglefactory

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
were I that wealthy there’s a ton of stuff I’d do that nobody funds right now because it won’t have massive payoff

example: clearing up the title/ownership of a bunch of historic old computer stuff, just by paying off everyone who might legitimately have a claim and having enough money to not be safe to fight for people who don’t

example: funding companies with good product ideas that can make a regular and solid profit without having to become the next goddamn Facebook (base hits, not home runs)

example: buying and refinancing a variety of debt at more reasonable levels so at least some people aren’t quite so turbofucked (but predatory lenders start to see some competition)

unfortunately actually becoming that wealthy requires a sort of pathology that means I’ll never get there

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
elons pouting about the “principle” that he can make reckless disclosures should be mighty useful when the sec gets around to proving that he acted wilfully and knowingly and is unlikely to change his behavior

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't wait until he indignantly refuses to show up for the trial believing himself to be above it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

can the sec get him if he slithers back to sef efrika?

mewse
May 2, 2006

President Beep posted:

http://www.mcnabbassociates.com/South%20Africa%20International%20Extradition%20Treaty%20with%20the%20United%20States.pdf

e: altho it's a civil suit not criminal

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

elons pouting about the “principle” that he can make reckless disclosures should be mighty useful when the sec gets around to proving that he acted wilfully and knowingly and is unlikely to change his behavior

sec's gonna dunk on him so hard the judge spontaneously combusts and is replaced by shaquille o'neal as kazaam. then shaq rules the sec has conclusively proven the need for elon musk to suffer the worst torment ever inflicted on a human being named elon musk: banned from twitter

President Beep posted:

they can still bar him from serving as an officer or board member of a regulated company. it's a civil suit

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

I can't wait until he indignantly refuses to show up for the trial believing himself to be above it.
It’s a civil action, he’s under no obligation to appear in person nor would there be much reason for him to do so

(Beaten like Tesla’s stock price)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 29, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you know he’ll insist on being there for every minute of it

all the while he’ll tweet about what a waste of time it is

then he’ll insist his defense call him as a witness

also he’ll insist on making statements to the court, multiple times, and will not go off prepared remarks

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

heck he might actually try to object to something himself if he can’t convince his lawyer to

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Sovereign Citizen Musk

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eschaton posted:

heck he might actually try to object to something himself if he can’t convince his lawyer to

I mean he invented PayPal so he's obviously way smarter than a lawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

Sovereign Citizen Musk

this would be the best thing.