Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

were I that wealthy there’s a ton of stuff I’d do that nobody funds right now because it won’t have massive payoff

example: clearing up the title/ownership of a bunch of historic old computer stuff, just by paying off everyone who might legitimately have a claim and having enough money to not be safe to fight for people who don’t

example: funding companies with good product ideas that can make a regular and solid profit without having to become the next goddamn Facebook (base hits, not home runs)

example: buying and refinancing a variety of debt at more reasonable levels so at least some people aren’t quite so turbofucked (but predatory lenders start to see some competition)

unfortunately actually becoming that wealthy requires a sort of pathology that means I’ll never get there

well, one thing becoming incredibly wealthy does require is a pathological need not to spend money in the way you just outlined, the contradiction is already built in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

eschaton posted:

were I that wealthy there’s a ton of stuff I’d do that nobody funds right now because it won’t have massive payoff

example: clearing up the title/ownership of a bunch of historic old computer stuff, just by paying off everyone who might legitimately have a claim and having enough money to not be safe to fight for people who don’t

example: funding companies with good product ideas that can make a regular and solid profit without having to become the next goddamn Facebook (base hits, not home runs)

example: buying and refinancing a variety of debt at more reasonable levels so at least some people aren’t quite so turbofucked (but predatory lenders start to see some competition)

unfortunately actually becoming that wealthy requires a sort of pathology that means I’ll never get there

I'd buy Fox News and burn it to the ground, then start on my Nazis-to-kill list.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
he's obv not going to take advice or counsel from the same loser lawyers that told him to settle

he'll personally waltz in with a random law book under his arm, start on his galt speech and collapse due to lack of sleep

then he'll tweet from the hospital that the judge is a pedo

i m o

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

suffix posted:

he's obv not going to take advice or counsel from the same loser lawyers that told him to settle

he'll personally waltz in with a random law book under his arm, start on his galt speech and collapse due to lack of sleep

i m o

I think you want the Roark speech here, not the Galt one.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

gschmidl posted:

I think you want the Roark speech here, not the Galt one.
The crowd burst into applause. Rearden whirled around, more startled than his judges. He saw face that laughed in violent excitement, and faces that pleaded for help; he saw their silent despair breaking out into the open; he saw the same anger and indignation as his own, finding release in the wild defiance of their cheering; he saw the looks of admiration and the looks of hope. There were also the face of loose-mouthed young men and maliciously unkempt females, the kind who led the booing in newsreel theatres at any appearance of a businessman of the screen; they did not attempt a counter-demonstration; they were silent.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
id spend my billions pushing right wing libertarian ideas and buying politicians to lower my taxes

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"Men have been taught that the highest virtue is not to achieve, but to give. Yet one cannot give that which has not been created. Creation comes before distribution—or there will be nothing to distribute. The need of the creator comes before the need of any possible beneficiary. Yet we are taught to admire the second-hander who dispenses gifts he has not produced above the man who made the gifts possible. We praise an act of charity. We shrug at an act of achievement."

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1046144582659051520

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/PrestonJClark/status/1046145863607709696

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

$20 million penalty and off the board within 45 days

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 29, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
out as board chair, not ceo, unless there's something missing there

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
yep youre right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i wonder who talked him off the ledge.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

out as board chair, not ceo, unless there's something missing there

like the whole last page.

edit: it's in the doccloud link

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it looks like his little "i'm not actually gonna settle" cost him an extra year off the board too, lol

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

What a worthless outcome. Stock will go back up.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

what's 20 million when you're worth 20 billion?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

akadajet posted:

like the whole last page.

edit: it's in the doccloud link

the only additional information in there is that he's also bound by tesla's corporate policy when it comes to any communication regarding tesla, including tweets.

but he's still allowed to be CEO

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
who imagined that elon's downfall could be such a bummer

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the only additional information in there is that he's also bound by tesla's corporate policy when it comes to any communication regarding tesla, including tweets.

how long until he drops acid and violates that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i am legit disappointed that someone managed to talk some sense into that daft motherfucker. i sincerely wanted to see him kamikaze himself into tesla over his own stupid ego.

i suppose there's still hope though. he seems like a big enough idiot that he'll manage to violate the terms of the settlement by claiming innocence, either directly on twitter, or in an interview somewhere

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

how long until he drops acid and violates that

not long, i hope

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jabor posted:

it looks like his little "i'm not actually gonna settle" cost him an extra year off the board too, lol
ya but he's also turned this from a more quiet settlement into headline news, and what are the odds on him re-offending anytime soon?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

arse technical's blockchain booster: actually elon musk is a brilliant engineer

also, i don't actually know what an engineer is or what they do, here's a dozen paragraphs about how this guy is just always loving up. truly a genius.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Remember, Elon musk's only professional experience prior to becoming an investor was as a web developer

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1026872652290379776
deleting the tweet wasn't part of the settlement, it seems

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i am legit disappointed that someone managed to talk some sense into that daft motherfucker. i sincerely wanted to see him kamikaze himself into tesla over his own stupid ego.

i suppose there's still hope though. he seems like a big enough idiot that he'll manage to violate the terms of the settlement by claiming innocence, either directly on twitter, or in an interview somewhere

Tesla is still potentially on the hook for every penny of losses sustained by short sellers in the days after the tweet and by stock owners who bought in the run-up only to see the stock collapse when the deal turned out to be nonexistent.

I think the estimates I saw were on the order of $3-4B

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

akadajet posted:

what's 20 million when you're worth 20 billion?

0.1%

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
going to be fun watching how he acts in response to the shareholder lawsuit, and whether he can walk the fine line of denying wrongdoing in the courtroom while definitively not denying it anywhere else.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shifty Pony posted:

Tesla is still potentially on the hook for every penny of losses sustained by short sellers in the days after the tweet and by stock owners who bought in the run-up only to see the stock collapse when the deal turned out to be nonexistent.

I think the estimates I saw were on the order of $3-4B

is Tesla on the hook for it or is Musk on the hook for it

I bet the board will have interesting opinions on that, at most 45 or so days from now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Remember, Elon musk's only professional experience prior to becoming an investor was as a web developer

*manager of web developers

**by virtue of having the money to back a project

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

fermun posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1026872652290379776
deleting the tweet wasn't part of the settlement, it seems
the settlement seems to care more about statements relating to whether he denied the allegation. would take a lot of work to remove all falsehoods ever presented from that account

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

suffix posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

I bet the board will have interesting opinions on that, at most 45 or so days from now

they ditched their d&o insurance, so this should be a full on loving train of lawsuits

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

they ditched their d&o insurance, so this should be a full on loving train of lawsuits

what the gently caress

why would ANY company do that?

that’s on the level of saying “sure, put all your personal expenses on the company card, who cares?”

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
never change, Wired

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

gschmidl posted:

"Men have been taught that the highest virtue is not to achieve, but to give. Yet one cannot give that which has not been created. Creation comes before distribution—or there will be nothing to distribute. The need of the creator comes before the need of any possible beneficiary. Yet we are taught to admire the second-hander who dispenses gifts he has not produced above the man who made the gifts possible. We praise an act of charity. We shrug at an act of achievement."

"What is the greatest lie every created? What is the most vicious obscenity ever perpetrated on mankind? Slavery? The Holocaust? Dictatorship? No. It's the tool with which all that wickedness is built: altruism. Whenever anyone wants others to do their work, they call upon their altruism. Never mind your own needs, they say, think of the needs of... of whoever. The state. The poor. Of the army, of the king, of God! The list goes on and on. How many catastrophes were launched with the words "think of yourself"? It's the "king and country" crowd who light the torch of destruction. It is this great inversion, this ancient lie, which has chained humanity to an endless cycle of guilt and failure."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

what the gently caress

why would ANY company do that?

that’s on the level of saying “sure, put all your personal expenses on the company card, who cares?”

who knows, to save :10bux: i guess.

they had it in 2017, they didn't have it in 2018

https://twitter.com/MrMarkHandy/status/1027985874267435008

e: possibly because they couldn't get it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

eschaton posted:

Isaacs v. Musk et al. names both Musk and Tesla as defendants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

It would be cool if after all this nonsense the board of directors ends up firing him as CEO, but I guess they know that would cause the stock to tank.