Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

"Energy credits" are just a sci-fi localization of the generic currency resource that's a staple of, like, all Paradox/4X games. Complaining that buildings run on energy credits or whatever is like complaining that factories/barracks/roads/etc in Civ run on gold. They're not literally shoveling gold into the furnace, that's just the way the gameplay abstracts general maintenance/upkeep costs. Hell, if anything buildings running off energy makes actual sense in a way that buildings running off gold doesn't, because you CAN directly power a factory with a big-rear end battery or whatever an energy credit represents.

Are you sure they aren't, y'know, Energy Credits, as in, the proposed currency system that appears in science fiction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

This game finally have enough content to be worth playing?

Nah.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

1,000 hours, no achievements. Good.

DMST
Jul 11, 2006
Our Man in Havana.
So I accidentally made a trade deal with some lucky guys to give them 1000 energy a month for 10 years instead of a one time thing which is what I meant to do. Any way to stop it?

They are my ascended organisms so I would rather not go to war with them. I heard on the steam forums it will cancel if I go bankrupt. I think I'll try that and then just start a new game if I not.

I will definitely pay more attention next time.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DMST posted:

So I accidentally made a trade deal with some lucky guys to give them 1000 energy a month for 10 years instead of a one time thing which is what I meant to do. Any way to stop it?

They are my ascended organisms so I would rather not go to war with them. I heard on the steam forums it will cancel if I go bankrupt. I think I'll try that and then just start a new game if I not.

I will definitely pay more attention next time.

I'd just reload the last monthly autosave after a mistake like that tbh

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Baronjutter posted:

In much the same way as a TES product, Modding Is The Game

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think I've ever played it unmodded :v:

Oh also, sliderchat.

Can we have a slider that multiplies material costs the same way the tradition/tech slider does?

Because I really like playing resource starved and I'm not sure if just lowering the RNG values would be good, so instead if we could just multiply the costs of everything that would be nice?

I really enjoy the slow game that comes from 2.5x tradition costs but I also find this means I end up with shitloads of basic resources that I have nothing to spend it on because I haven't researched anything expensive yet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I've ever played it unmodded :v:

Oh also, sliderchat.

Can we have a slider that multiplies material costs the same way the tradition/tech slider does?

Because I really like playing resource starved and I'm not sure if just lowering the RNG values would be good, so instead if we could just multiply the costs of everything that would be nice?

I really enjoy the slow game that comes from 2.5x tradition costs but I also find this means I end up with shitloads of basic resources that I have nothing to spend it on because I haven't researched anything expensive yet.

Yeah I like civ's various sliders that effect game length and pace. I'd love a fleet cost/cap slider too that scaled up the cost of ships while also lowering fleet cap, so you could choose to play in a game with small expensive fleets or big cheap fleets.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I play with mods, but most of them are cosmetic stuff or name lists(you can never have enough name lists!). Oh, and that one mod with like a thousand different colors, because two empires sharing the exact same color scheme makes me irrationally angry.
But yeah, the game is good, the game is fun, and it has been for some time. And the game looks as though it will get much better next update, particularly once the kinks from doing the economy overhaul are ironed out.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Oh, and that one mod with like a thousand different colors, because two empires sharing the exact same color scheme makes me irrationally angry.

I used to use that as well, for the same reason, but then I downgraded to one with fewer colours, because with the full spectrum one everything just ended up being various pastel shapes and I hated that too.

Unrelated: I just had an awakened empire experience a machine uprising. The machines are Exterminators. I find this inexplicably amusing.
EDIT: Scratch that, apparently the uprising happened for one of their signatories, but the game decided to name the resulting war after the awakened empire.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 30, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Anomaly: We have located the cache of weapons!

Yeah sure I'll get right on that.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
an empire of clones would be great, especially if you could do it Prophet style.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rynoto posted:

Anomaly: We have located the cache of weapons!

Yeah sure I'll get right on that.
It would actually be real cool if these got adjusted so this poo poo was less common. If you want to put it like five jumps away so that there's pressure to expand or fight someone, cool, but that is just bananas.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nessus posted:

It would actually be real cool if these got adjusted so this poo poo was less common. If you want to put it like five jumps away so that there's pressure to expand or fight someone, cool, but that is just bananas.

Doesn’t that mean there is a gateway nearby?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Doorknob Slobber posted:

an empire of clones would be great, especially if you could do it Prophet style.

Horatio is still probably one of my favorite factions in any 4x style game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Wiz posted:

We have absolutely no plans of adding a non-EC money resource. It could be easily modded in after 2.2 though.

The moddability of what you've shown so far is crazy. The TV collection-in-radius-around-starbase code probably opens to make starbases exploit all their system's resources pretty easily hopefully - and I'm really curious how the game would play without having to manually build space-mines.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the only issue with a completely functional modded money resource (or any other new fundamental resource, as opposed to special resources) would be mod intercompatibility - you'd have to plug the mod in with an ecosystem of other mods all designed to charge money instead of energy when appropriate through either an extensive set of compatibility patches written by you, the money guy, or hitting enough of a user critical mass that everyone else writes compatibility patches for your take on the economy. the alphamod problem, basically.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Late to the party, but I think Gestalt's could take advantage of the trade system by letting them turn trade value into influence, and making colonies have a monthly influence cost. Rename pirates to xeno influencers. Add in an 'autonomous decision sub unit' job in each colony that generates influence but increases unrest/rebellion or whatever.

Expand too far too fast and either your influence tanks stopping you from claiming systems and issuing edicts, or you can risk civil war by temporarily ceding authority to local administrators.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Wait there are evil space clowns?!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
God the galaxy in this current game of mine is a hilarious mess.

So after I ganked the xenophobe awakened empire and mysteriously received their thralls as my vassals (still dunno what the gently caress was up with that), the War in Heaven has been dragging on between the xenophile AE and their signatories, and the Non-Aligned League. And just now I decided I want some of my neighbours' poo poo, and declared war on them. They're one of the signatories of the xenophiles, so the AE obviously joined the war in their defence.... but the rest of the signatories did not.

Consequently, I just waylaid a fleet of my neighbour's that was being followed by a huge gaggle of the other signatories' fleets, who just stood by picking their noses and watched as I tore one of their allies' fleets to shreds. :allears:

Meanwhile the Prethoryn are gobbling up one of the Non-Aligned League's members, but they're pretty far from any of my territories so I can't be arsed to help.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Azuth0667 posted:

Anyone who played SS13 would know the answer to that one.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
There a mod someone knows about that bypasses the invasion and conquering mechanic during wartime (you own the system you own the planet as if you landed an invasion force and took it)? I got an idea~

e: Don't you dare say Colossus

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 30, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Xenaero posted:

There a mod someone knows about that bypasses the invasion and conquering mechanic during wartime (you own the system you own the planet as if you landed an invasion force and took it)? I got an idea~

e: Don't you dare say Colossus

COLOSSUS.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Azuth0667 posted:

I was referring to the Grey Tide in the L-Cluster, by way of a Dwarf Fortress reference. In Dwarf Fortress, digging too greedily and too deep will get you to veins of adamantine, a very hard, valuable metal. Mine far enough into this and you find that they're hollow spires leading down to Hell. The Dwarf Fortress forums refer to this collectively as Hidden Fun Stuff, and if they want to be really cute, adamantine is cotton candy, Hell is a circus, and the demons are clowns.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Dareon posted:

I was referring to the Grey Tide in the L-Cluster, by way of a Dwarf Fortress reference.

The L-gates go to Space Station 13? I really need to finish unlocking those sometime.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
I haven't opened an L-gate yet :3

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
My first experience with the L-Cluster was amazing. Opened it relatively early, back when Insights were gained pretty frequently from unrelated anomalies, and the galaxy was just not prepared. The Tempest tore through the heart of my empire, but also wrecked every other empire. After a few years, it became clear there were certain systems they didn't enter (not on a main path), so I rebuilt shipyards there, and steadily tech'd up / built up a fleet capable of taking the fight into the cluster. It took decades.

It was underwhelming the next time when the cluster was just empty.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My experience was underwhelming. My fleet was able to handle the Tempest fleets already, so I rapidly established a beachhead and began clearing the cluster while the one other Tempest fleet went out the one other L-Gate in the galaxy and began romping and stomping through some random dickhole's territory.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Doesn’t that mean there is a gateway nearby?

A wormhole would be better, 'cause I've at least got that tech eventually. Gateway control tech seems to be endgame-stuff, or you'll at least get it long after you would have been able to just march over there the normal way and take the cache.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I have never gotten an insight for an L-gate other than by researching.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have things at the other end of the galaxy that's what subspace navigation is for.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I really like not being able to turn someone into a vassal because their naval capacity is superior to mine despite my having superior technology and quadruple their actual fleet strength.

Edit: So I spam a crapload of anchorages to equalize the naval capacity and they simultaneously hop up to "equivalent" technology.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 30, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Libluini posted:

A wormhole would be better, 'cause I've at least got that tech eventually. Gateway control tech seems to be endgame-stuff, or you'll at least get it long after you would have been able to just march over there the normal way and take the cache.

You can get gateway activation pretty easily, it's just gateway construction that's gated behind Mega Engineering.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Gateway activation is still a tier 4 tech with a 0.5 weight multiplier and a 0.1 weight multiplier if you don't have a particle guy/genius/curator/nutjob leading physics research (though there's also a 4.0 multiplier if you have an unactivated gateway in your territory). Tier 4 isn't exactly early, and it can easily take a long time to roll it even after you get tier 4 physics unlocked, especially if you don't avoid the 0.1 modifier. I assume that the vast majority of players rarely think about tech weights when playing, so that's not unlikely.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Having gateway activation is also useless for getting to an objective on the other side of the galaxy, which is the context here

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

Having gateway activation is also useless for getting to an objective on the other side of the galaxy, which is the context here

I think the theory was that the generator had put the objective there because it was including gateway and wormhole traversal in the distance calculation

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

VostokProgram posted:

I think the theory was that the generator had put the objective there because it was including gateway and wormhole traversal in the distance calculation

Nah, that specific event just always spawns the drat thing in the middle of nowhere.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Deuce posted:

I really like not being able to turn someone into a vassal because their naval capacity is superior to mine despite my having superior technology and quadruple their actual fleet strength.

Edit: So I spam a crapload of anchorages to equalize the naval capacity and they simultaneously hop up to "equivalent" technology.

I'm playing a Feudal game and this mod was invaluable https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1518143731

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Nordick posted:

Nah, that specific event just always spawns the drat thing in the middle of nowhere.

If someone could point us to the title/description text/event ID this should be a quick fix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

LordMune posted:

If someone could point us to the title/description text/event ID this should be a quick fix!

I seem to remember it's in the event log as "The Xvan Labs". Every time I've gotten it it's been pretty early in the game, before I've had even the experimental subspace navigation tech. By the time I could otherwise make the trip it's always swallowed by some asshat's territory where I don't have border access.