Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It looks like 1:1 to fallout 4 which if you consider it shoddy, I feel you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

It looks like 1:1 to fallout 4 which if you consider it shoddy, I feel you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGuwsHKS-jM

It looks like even more hot garbage than Fallout 4 could ever be, without the benefit of mods to fix anything broken.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wonder if walking too close to a car still kills you.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

It looks like even more hot garbage than Fallout 4 could ever be, without the benefit of mods to fix anything broken.

But everything in that video looks like Fallout 4 but even better. I don't get this mindset. If you hated FO:4 then I can see you also hating this game and calling it hot garbage. But it really is just FO:4 but better. The only negative is the fps/graphics issues which should be much less impactful on the PC version. I guess VATS is worse by most accounts, but I never bothered to use VATS in 3/4/NV anyways. I always thought the pausing time thing was too cheesy.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

chitoryu12 posted:

It looks almost exactly like FO4, I mean how does it not?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm glad nobody else is buying the game. I will get the single player experience still.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

The VATS lets you hit without aiming at a target but may be negated entirely by a good player with a mouse, the level requirements for items discourages exploration off the beaten path, and what would otherwise be basic parts of the Fallout experience like using a minigun or targeting body parts in VATS are locked behind levels or perks.

It looks exactly like Fallout 4 with some mechanics made worse or more annoying, in addition to now being reliant on Bethesda's patch schedule for fixing jank on a nearly 20-year-old engine that they've shoved netcode into.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Maybe they were being self conscious with the series when they put this part into fallout 3.

brb gonna make a 40 minute video essay out of this

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

chitoryu12 posted:

The VATS lets you hit without aiming at a target but may be negated entirely by a good player with a mouse, the level requirements for items discourages exploration off the beaten path, and what would otherwise be basic parts of the Fallout experience like using a minigun or targeting body parts in VATS are locked behind levels or perks.

It looks exactly like Fallout 4 with some mechanics made worse or more annoying, in addition to now being reliant on Bethesda's patch schedule for fixing jank on a nearly 20-year-old engine that they've shoved netcode into.

How would you change it around for multiplayer?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
I've seen a few posts about how unplayable 76 will be without an "unofficial patch" mod. Since I don't own any of the FO4 DLC the "unofficial patch" mod doesn't work and so I've been playing without it for quite some time. My game has yet to break, delete my save file, lite my house on fire, etc.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Listen here you NMA autist, it’s a proven fact that shallow, repetitive gameplay and trite “environmental” storytelling are a much better use of the Fallout series than engaging stories and fun quests

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to kill yet another feral ghoul in yet another abandoned building. If I’m lucky, I might even find two skeletons hugging each other! The only thing that could make me happier is if someone added a pointless multiplayer aspect to this game

Did we watch different videos on 76? The setup for the story and the quests presented so far look both fun and engaging. Maybe at 3 hours and 1 minute it devolves into nothing but trite teddy bears on a toilets BS but so far that doesn't appear to be the case.

As for the gameplay, I think that is a matter of taste. I find it fun to explore bombed out ruins while killing hordes of mutated horrors standing between me and the stuff I need to trick out my power armor. YMMV :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

deathbagel posted:

I guess VATS is worse by most accounts, but I never bothered to use VATS in 3/4/NV anyways. I always thought the pausing time thing was too cheesy.

the fps experience never felt good enough for me to play it as a straight shooter (worlds better than NV though it is). also wanting the post apoc fantasy of fallout doesn't necessarily mean you want your twitch skills tested.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

How would you change it around for multiplayer?

A different engine entirely, building the game from the ground up instead of adding more jank to a janky base.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I think the thing that's disappointing about this game is that it's fallout 76. Objectively, it should be 19 times better than fallout 4.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zelder posted:

I think the thing that's disappointing about this game is that it's fallout 76. Objectively, it should be 19 times better than fallout 4.

Or take place in 2x76

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I've seen a few posts about how unplayable 76 will be without an "unofficial patch" mod. Since I don't own any of the FO4 DLC the "unofficial patch" mod doesn't work and so I've been playing without it for quite some time. My game has yet to break, delete my save file, lite my house on fire, etc.

i've spent hundreds of hours with fo4 on ps4 without major issues. (mods were actually the thing that introduced instabilities, but that's partially due to the game's poor mod manager)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm actually into a rust/days/7 days to die sort of game in the universe.

I gotta say, my initial reaction was disappointment at it being multiplayer, but I actually don't have an issue with these types of games if I can play them alone. God knows I put a lot of time into Minecraft by myself, and I'm actually very interested in picking up Conan Exiles. Exploring a big world is a lot of fun, and they have promised private servers. But then they death of a thousand cuts'd it. Every time they said something I liked, they followed it up with a 'but' that immediately undid the goodwill from what they'd just said. Frankly for me, the final straw wasn't gameplay or lore changes, it was being exclusive to the Bethesda Launcher or whatever it's called. I am sick and tired of having to sign up for more and more services and at this point, if it's not on GOG or Steam, I just don't care.

Did this news about the earliest launch window for mods get posted? It's a little disappointing, though I tend to be a little light touch when it comes to mods, especially first time around. My first time through NV and 3 (haven't gotten to 4 yet) I played with no/one mod and they were fine enough.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

catlord posted:

I gotta say, my initial reaction was disappointment at it being multiplayer, but I actually don't have an issue with these types of games if I can play them alone. God knows I put a lot of time into Minecraft by myself, and I'm actually very interested in picking up Conan Exiles. Exploring a big world is a lot of fun, and they have promised private servers. But then they death of a thousand cuts'd it. Every time they said something I liked, they followed it up with a 'but' that immediately undid the goodwill from what they'd just said. Frankly for me, the final straw wasn't gameplay or lore changes, it was being exclusive to the Bethesda Launcher or whatever it's called. I am sick and tired of having to sign up for more and more services and at this point, if it's not on GOG or Steam, I just don't care.

Did this news about the earliest launch window for mods get posted? It's a little disappointing, though I tend to be a little light touch when it comes to mods, especially first time around. My first time through NV and 3 (haven't gotten to 4 yet) I played with no/one mod and they were fine enough.

I can tell you from experience that Conan exiles stinks. Some of the worst combat I've played in a game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Assasin's Creed should have kept Desmond! :byodood:

Assassins creed is a great example of a series where shoehorning weird lore in is an active detriment to my catholic stabbing simulator.

“Oh man awesome I’m a pirate haha yo ho yo h.... why did I just get transformed into an office intern?”

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So this only has emotes right? unless you're in a group with someone, you can't communicate with them?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

chitoryu12 posted:

A different engine entirely, building the game from the ground up instead of adding more jank to a janky base.

This is why I called people mentally ill btw. People heard eight years ago that skyrim would have a new engine and have been reliving the trauma of poorly set expectations ever since

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So here's something I can't find. Why is it called the Brotherhood of Steel? If the name came out of a command group in the Army or something, it'd make sense for something with the same name to be operating as basically a proto-Enclave, acting as "legitimate" heirs to the remaining strategic resources of the US.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The US Government is the Proto Enclave. Enclave is literally the remnants of the government who took advantage of the apocalypse to get away with setting up their long term plans to redefine America.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Glazius posted:

So here's something I can't find. Why is it called the Brotherhood of Steel? If the name came out of a command group in the Army or something, it'd make sense for something with the same name to be operating as basically a proto-Enclave, acting as "legitimate" heirs to the remaining strategic resources of the US.

They've spent a lot of time cooped up in a bunker with not a lot to do. My guess is there was a few nerds among the initial survivors.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Frog Act posted:

So this only has emotes right? unless you're in a group with someone, you can't communicate with them?

you can audio chat with people in close proximity with you (even ungrouped, I think). you're free to mute them (or everyone, probably), of course

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The US Government is the Proto Enclave. Enclave is literally the remnants of the government who took advantage of the apocalypse to get away with setting up their long term plans to redefine America.
Specifically, it was most of the non-independent arms of the Executive Branch, lobbyists, and the top 1% of 'income producers' from the business sector. Gotta make sure those plebe nerds like the Postmaster General won't come in and scare all the chicks off.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Agent355 posted:

Game looks bad. Not 'this game is a different genre than what I want'. I mean the game just looks really shoddily put together based on everything I've seen. Yuck.

It's the same engine that Fallout 4 used isn't it? It has always looked "off" to me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rinkles posted:

you can audio chat with people in close proximity with you (even ungrouped, I think). you're free to mute them (or everyone, probably), of course

Muting someone will cost $1.99 for the first minute and $0.25 for each additional minute

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Azhais posted:

Muting someone will cost $1.99 for the first minute and $0.25 for each additional minute

So about the same price as talking to your mom

lmao that's right!!!! Owned in the fallout 75 thread wooooo!!!!!!!!

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Eiba posted:

None on this is how 76 will work at all.

You remember Vault 11 in New Vegas? Or any dead vault really. Or the Survivalists logs? Or 90% of Big MT or the Divide?

Almost no NPCs in desolate locales, but absolutely brimming with story and mystery.

Maybe Bethesda won't do as well, but it's not fundamentally un-Fallout to set things up the way they have. I'm really looking forward to it myself.

Nah man sorry but the previous games had both empty and desolate places and interesting NPCs including whole cities, army camps, military bases, weird towns and what have you. Those also were a big part of the quests. Like Brotherhood of Steel, or Enclave, or the New Vegas factions. Those things do not exist in the new game.
Also, the main issue with mmorpgs is that nothing you do can really have an impact on the game world or story. I mean, there aren't any factions even.

Fallout 76 will be about fighting with your dudes. There'll be a focus on building bases and defending them from scripted attacks, as well as the usual mmorpg quests. You just can't do high quality generated quests. And the idea that human NPCs would actually add atmosphere and mystery instead of party hats and memes is ridiculous. A big part of Fallout 76 will be grieving those idiots who try to enjoy "mystery" or exploration or what have you. Hell, the first thing we'll do is probably to construct large phallus like bases near any point of interest.

And don't get me wrong. Light hearted coop shooters, which is the only thing you can do online, are fun. And if its enjoyable, maybe I'll play it to do a bit of trolling myself. But the idea that it's going to be an atmospheric game is ridiculous if you ever played any mmorpg ever.

Glenn Quebec posted:

No I mean graphically it looks great I guess. FO4 looks better on a PC, but no doubt it'll look much better on PC than FO4.
But like he says in the video, there aren't really many sidequests that are actual quests.Just go to places, kill doodes and get some loot. Low impact on game world or story. Level requirements so no real exploration. No mods. Low creature variety. PvP combat. Bad AI, bad performance. Clownsuits and party hats.

Nah I mean I don't wanna sound like I wouldn't enjoy this game or that it needs to be terrible. But if you are excited because you think it's gonna be like the other Fallouts, I think you are wrong.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 11, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i hadnt seen anyone mention it, but the assassination radio station seems p cool

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Donovan Trip posted:

So about the same price as talking to your mom

lmao that's right!!!! Owned in the fallout 75 thread wooooo!!!!!!!!

:golfclap:

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Can't wait to be skulking around a forgotten vault and unveiling the mysteries that wiped out the people who stayed there as xXDAB_ON_EMXx sprints by blasting his $4.99 Vuvuzela he bought from the cosmetic store robot.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

So I checked out the actual long gameplay videos, for example this one here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X_MM_uqtw0
The large majority of it is running around, looting and killing enemies. World seems extremely empty. No dialogues. Story is only in the sense of picking up notes or tapes from dead people, there's no interaction with the game world except killing monsters. It's always going like 1) discover location, 2) kill ghouls or ghouls with guns, 3) loot.
The best they have is to shut down transmitters, kill that dude or find that equipment.
Also, the outfits of player characters. Even in a press event everyone is doing the clown outfit. Nice.

I dunno, I enjoyed the NPC interactions and dialogues, or sneaking into raider camps in FO4, listening to their conversations and all the little stories that went on between them, figuring out the different ways one could accomplish quests or play NPCs against each other. Choose factions and all that. Not that FO4 is a masterpiece of storytelling, but the complexity of quests was like a million times higher.

This seems really empty and boring. We'll see.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 11, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

deathbagel posted:

But everything in that video looks like Fallout 4 but even better. I don't get this mindset. If you hated FO:4 then I can see you also hating this game and calling it hot garbage. But it really is just FO:4 but better. The only negative is the fps/graphics issues which should be much less impactful on the PC version. I guess VATS is worse by most accounts, but I never bothered to use VATS in 3/4/NV anyways. I always thought the pausing time thing was too cheesy.

I mean I know the ongoing criticism was 'F4 is just an FPS now' but it still had things like NPCs, companions, companion quests, dialogue choices, factions, joinable faction quests that changed the ending, towns, etc etc. As far as I can tell none of that will be in 76?

I can't even see the kind of autists who spent 100 hours playing sim settlements being too enthralled because even if you build an elaborate and intricately detailed town no one will populate it because there are no NPCs to actually sit down in that cafe you spent a dozen hours creating.

But yes, assuming you played F4 by mashing through every dialogue option and only doing radiant Minutemen quests to kill X number of enemies at Y location over and over, this game does look like a much better version of that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Father Wendigo posted:

Specifically, it was most of the non-independent arms of the Executive Branch, lobbyists, and the top 1% of 'income producers' from the business sector. Gotta make sure those plebe nerds like the Postmaster General won't come in and scare all the chicks off.

Yes, but at the notional time of 76 they were mostly still down in their offshore compound dreaming about space. If "Brotherhood of Steel" was the official designation of some Army corps tasked with protecting domestic technology and Maxson figured nobody would mind him keeping it after the world ended, it's possible for a group by that name with largely that look to be operating in 76. Except their motivations and philosophy would be more like the Enclave.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I just realized there are no NPC humans in this game.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and I know this isn't the future of mainline Fallout games (Fallout 5 will come). But I guess this is basically just gonna be a Rust/Conan like game. Which is fine, but maybe not what I wanna play right now.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Holy schmoly this looks like garbage in the gameplay videos
run around, shoot some ghouls and pick up trash, the game

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wolfsheim posted:

'F4 is just an FPS now'

F76 looks to be at least 20 FPS judging from those videos. :downsrim:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Wolfsheim posted:

I can't even see the kind of autists who spent 100 hours playing sim settlements being too enthralled because even if you build an elaborate and intricately detailed town no one will populate it because there are no NPCs to actually sit down in that cafe you spent a dozen hours creating.

On another note, Sim Settlements kind-of-recently introduced an expandable tourist generator framework, so that while your settlers are off grooming crops or staring at sawmills there can also be NPCs goofing around with the interactable bits in your shops and recreational areas and such.

They hardly ever start trying to kill your chickens, or each other, anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Also the PVP combat looks real rough, like it's just super twitchy and impossible to hit anyone with anything but an automatic gun or heavy use of VATS.