Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Combat Theory posted:

I had to zoom into the picture because I thought it was a joke. It's not. Wtf.

oh its still a joke alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Normies talk about field upgrades. Tesla has felt upgrades.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
they bolted the felt on

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

prisoner of waffles posted:

they bolted the felt on

how else you gonna do it smart guy?!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Munkeymon posted:

how else you gonna do it smart guy?!

Natural growth, obviously

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
structural mold

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Sucks that a kid got hurt, but lol
https://twitter.com/zomgapocalypse/status/1051454980329222151

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

so is tesla going to start adding warnings to not drive models 3 in inclement weather?

https://twitter.com/zomgapocalypse/status/1051469014948610050

is fabric like that common under cars? seems like a stray stick could open it up pretty easily

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the onion wizard posted:

is fabric like that common under cars? seems like a stray stick could open it up pretty easily

no. most cars now have hard plastic panels on the bottom though to help mileage. I suppose some could be lined with noise insulating felt on the inside.

the really critical bit though is that in every other car the seams of those panels are set up so that the panel closer to the front of the car overlaps the start of the panel closer to the rear. that way if you hit something it just slides past instead of digging into the seam and ripping it apart. it is super basic design.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I've never seen anything on the underside of a car besides metal, fiberglass-reinforced plastic, or rubber

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

the really critical bit though is that in every other car the seams of those panels are set up so that the panel closer to the front of the car overlaps the start of the panel closer to the rear. that way if you hit something it just slides past instead of digging into the seam and ripping it apart. it is super basic design.

so it probably sags/stretches to form a tiny undercarriage drogue chute?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I've never seen anything on the underside of a car besides metal, fiberglass-reinforced plastic, or rubber

what does fiberglass-reinforced plastic look like when it's damaged by a puddle?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the onion wizard posted:

it's so they can reuse the first stage

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the onion wizard posted:

yup, especially when weighed down by water.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

what does fiberglass-reinforced plastic look like when it's damaged by a puddle?

wet

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I can't wait for v0.85415b of the model 3 where they upgrade the undercarriage felt to cheap ABS that shatters all the time

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

https://twitter.com/boriquagato/status/1051469639526637568

Are they joking or not? Can't tell tbh

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

iirc, your warranty is voided if you drive through too much water

how much is too much? well, it's not explicitly spelled out, and it's not like he got out and measured the puddle depth anyway. so you know Tesla will just draw the line at "if it damaged your car, it was too much, claim denied"

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
so basically any more water then a californa desert during a drought is too much.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol a carwash with an undercarriage blast would void warranty then

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

if you go to their twitter, every tweet they make is dunking on tesla

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
reminder: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/744551674082136066

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Looking forward to the lawsuit then where Tesla denies warranty because it rained

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol a carwash with an undercarriage blast would void warranty then

i'm pretty sure there's already been tesla forum threads posted here where they chide each other of using any kind of automated/mechanical car wash, because there's several ways for them to break the cars.

ofc i wouldn't expect the paint to hold up too well either

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Burning Gundam

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

iirc, your warranty is voided if you drive through too much water

how much is too much? well, it's not explicitly spelled out, and it's not like he got out and measured the puddle depth anyway. so you know Tesla will just draw the line at "if it damaged your car, it was too much, claim denied"
sounds like they need to take a page out of the Apple service manual and start adhering those little moisture sensitive stickers to the cars so when you take your busted car to the genius bar they can deny you service because the dots are red

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

:jerkbag:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
someone posted the Model S warranty online

quote:

EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS
Warranty limitations
This New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any vehicle damage or malfunction directly or indirectly caused
by, due to or resulting from normal wear or deterioration, abuse, misuse, negligence, accident, lack of or improper
maintenance, operation, storage or transport, including, but not limited to, any of the following:
• Failure to take the vehicle to a Tesla Service Center or Tesla authorized repair facility upon discovery of a defect
covered by this New Vehicle Limited Warranty;
• Accidents, collisions, or objects striking the vehicle;
• Any repair, alteration or modification of the vehicle, or the installation or use of fluids, parts or accessories, made by
a person or facility not authorized or certified to do so;
• Lack of or improper repair or maintenance, including use of fluids, parts or accessories other than those specified in
your owner documentation;
• Towing the vehicle;
• Improper winch procedures;
• Theft, vandalism, or riot;
Fire, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, lightning, hail, flood, or deep water;
Driving the vehicle off-road, over rough, damaged or hazardous surfaces, including but not limited to, curbs,
potholes, unfinished roads, debris, or other obstacles, or in competition, racing or autocross or for any other purposes

for which the vehicle is not designed;
• Overloading the vehicle;
• Using the vehicle as a stationary power source; and
The environment or an act of God, including, but not limited to, exposure to sunlight, airborne chemicals, tree
sap, animal or insect droppings, road debris (including stone chips), industry fallout, rail dust, salt, hail, floods, wind
storms, acid rain, fire, water, contamination, lightning and other environmental conditions.

Additional limitations and exclusions
In addition to the above exclusions and limitations, this New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any of the
following:
• Any corrosion or paint defects including, but not limited to, the following:
· Corrosion from defects in non-Tesla manufactured or supplied materials or workmanship causing perforation (holes)
in body panels or the chassis from the inside out;
· Surface or cosmetic corrosion causing perforation in body panels or the chassis from the outside in, such as stone
chips or scratches; and
· Corrosion and paint defects caused by, due to or resulting from accidents, paint matching, abuse, neglect, improper
maintenance or operation of the vehicle, installation of an accessory, exposure to chemical substances, or damages
resulting from an act of God or nature, fire, or improper storage;
• Non-genuine Tesla parts or accessories or their installation, or any damage directly or indirectly caused by, due to
or resulting from the installation or use of non-genuine Tesla parts or accessories:
• Any damage to the vehicle’s Battery, including damage directly or indirectly caused by, due to or resulting from
abuse, misuse, accident, lack of or improper maintenance, including, but not limited to, the following:
· Allowing the Battery to reach a zero state of charge or neglecting to follow proper charging procedures as specified
in your owner documentation;

let's trim that down a bit

quote:

This New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any vehicle damage or malfunction directly or indirectly caused by...

The environment or an act of God, including, but not limited to, ... fire, water, ... and other environmental conditions

surely they wouldn't apply that to deny claims from puddle damage, though, right? right?

wrong

quote:

Hello all,

Apparently Tesla thinks that driving through a puddle is beyond the capability of the Model S and is an "insurance issue."

What do you think?

I drove through a deep puddle last Wednesday. What I think happened is that one of the plastic panels on the underside of the car was loose and the water got between the panel and the underside of the car. Once the panel started to peel the force of the water pushed it downward and backward so that it flipped backwards and took the bumper off with it. I called Tesla immediately and they sent a truck to take it to the auto body. After dragging their feet for the last six days I just got word that they will "not cover the repairs" and I need to call my insurance.

I understand most Tesla drivers are in California and do not see the same road conditions we see in New England. However, if the car is going make it in this market and other similar markets like the Midwest it needs to be able to go through a puddle without sustaining thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Has anyone else had an issue with this? Any advice on how to deal with Tesla?

Thanks to all for any help!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

let's trim that down a bit

you missed my favorite, "exposure to sunlight"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
and air

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

how long will it take for nickel and diming warranty coverage to translate to increased insurance prices?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm the act of God

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

yippee cahier posted:

how long will it take for nickel and diming warranty coverage to translate to increased insurance prices?

*ring*

hello i am calling from car extending warranty program

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

yippee cahier posted:

isn't tesla insurance already like double the rate for comparably priced cars?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ahhhh we were so young then :allears:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
what's the status of the settlement and the timing of the new chairman requirement?

last I heard the court had not accepted the settlement agreement

and there were those rumbles about Yung Murdoch, but when do they have to replace Ol' Musky Basterd?

e: gently caress, reading the grey thread

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

isn't tesla insurance already like double the rate for comparably priced cars?
the only thing i can find without actually getting an insurance quote suggests that a tesla model 3 has a similar rate to a bmw m3, which starts $17k more.

e: :ninja:

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 15, 2018

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

So how does this "water = bye bye bumper" issue that's allegedly not covered by warranty float with this?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-315 posted:

§ 2-315. Implied Warranty: Fitness for Particular Purpose.
Where the seller at the time of contracting has reason to know any particular purpose for which the goods are required and that the buyer is relying on the seller's skill or judgment to select or furnish suitable goods, there is unless excluded or modified under the next section an implied warranty that the goods shall be fit for such purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

gschmidl posted:

So how does this "water = bye bye bumper" issue that's allegedly not covered by warranty float with this?

It's illegal obviously. There are explicit papers to sign in case your car has extremely odd technical limitations.

For example a BMW E46 M3 CSL comes with semi slick tires and you sign an explicit waver that says BMW will not be responsible for anything that happens when you drive the car on a wet road.

Dodge Charger Demons have a similar waver.

To my knowledge tesla does not do this. Therefore they can not legally refuse warranty for normal road usage.