Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

DoctorGonzo posted:

Mr House is Howard Hughes? i tought everyone knows that?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My God this goes all the way to the top.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Also with RDR2, RE2 and hell even Thronebreaker Bethesda really doesnt have a excuse anymore. Janky games with so so stories arent going to cut it anymore

Donovan Trip posted:

It feels that way and looks that way and has terrible animation because they sell twenty million copies of every game they release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Earlier in the thread weren't we just talking about how dumb it is that devs and publishers keep chasing better graphics at the detriment of everything else? That it was really stupid how Bethesda/Microsoft insisted the previews be played at 4K even though it ran like rear end?

The least important thing to me is spectacle. If the core gameplay is fun or the story is really engaging (or both if I'm lucky) then I don't care if the game looks like trash. If a game looks great but is boring then who gives a poo poo? I don't need any more games like Destiny 2.

This is why BGS sells twenty million copies of every game they release. They, at least to this point, have made games that are fun to interact with. Maybe the animation is garbage or the story is pulp bullshit but playing the game is cool and awesome.

Because of that I'm giving BGS the benefit of the doubt until the 23rd. If 76 hits open beta and is an unfun dumpster fire of bugs and terrible design decisions then all the good will Bethesda's earned will have dried up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Beta preload

https://twitter.com/fallout/status/1053308593804591104?s=21

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Earlier in the thread weren't we just talking about how dumb it is that devs and publishers keep chasing better graphics at the detriment of everything else? That it was really stupid how Bethesda/Microsoft insisted the previews be played at 4K even though it ran like rear end?

The least important thing to me is spectacle. If the core gameplay is fun or the story is really engaging (or both if I'm lucky) then I don't care if the game looks like trash. If a game looks great but is boring then who gives a poo poo? I don't need any more games like Destiny 2.

This is why BGS sells twenty million copies of every game they release. They, at least to this point, have made games that are fun to interact with. Maybe the animation is garbage or the story is pulp bullshit but playing the game is cool and awesome.

Because of that I'm giving BGS the benefit of the doubt until the 23rd. If 76 hits open beta and is an unfun dumpster fire of bugs and terrible design decisions then all the good will Bethesda's earned will have dried up.

I've put hundreds of hours into Cataclysm:DDA and Dwarf Fortress, so I agree that graphics are far from a primary requirement for me. That said, this game really does look pretty to me (I know, some of you hate it, especially inside the Greenbrier.)

Can the 30th hurry up and get here already?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

God who cares. This exclusive “Play it on xbox 2 days earlier” console wars poo poo is obnoxious all around.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So is fallout new California gonna be good?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

God who cares. This exclusive “Play it on xbox 2 days earlier” console wars poo poo is obnoxious all around.

At least it's not as bad as it used to be. I remember buying both a Playstation and a Playstation II 100% because the new Final Fantasy games were only releasing on them (VII for Playstation and X for PS2) back when Final Fantasy games were still fun to me.

I'd rather wait a week than be forced into buying a specific system just to play a certain game. I know it still happens occasionally, but nowdays most exclusives also release on PC thank goodness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lawman 0 posted:

So is fallout new California gonna be good?

I'd hedge my bets on The Frontier instead. Better voice acting and drivable tanks.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd hedge my bets on The Frontier instead. Better voice acting and drivable tanks.

:staredog:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yes I would like to know more. :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COadLxnCWQc

Sort of prequel/sequel to New Vegas dealing with a division of NCR soldiers who went rogue after Helios One and settled in Oregon where they got caught up in trying to hold the northern approaches from a legion pincer attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7DkI_3U-ew

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
What’s with them calling it a B.E.T.A. Is it just some weird reference to V.A.T.S?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Seriously one of the dumbest loving things about fallout is that no one seems to remember how to use vehicles anymore even when people should have plopped down a bunch of railroads at least by now.
Also how everyone still lives in literal dumps

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Seriously one of the dumbest loving things about fallout is that no one seems to remember how to use vehicles anymore even when people should have plopped down a bunch of railroads at least by now.

How is there ammo still lying around after 200 years? How was a boy in a safe for so long? Where is all the food?

Expect more biting and relevant commentary from me, Paul Zuvella!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

How is there ammo still lying around after 200 years? How was a boy in a safe for so long? Where is all the food?

Expect more biting and relevant commentary from me, Paul Zuvella!

Oh no I started a deraillllllllll

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Moose-Alini posted:

What’s with them calling it a B.E.T.A. Is it just some weird reference to V.A.T.S?

They're calling it their Break-it Early Test Application phase

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Lawman 0 posted:

But there are vehicles and railroads? F2, Tactics, Brotherhood of Steel, Van Buren and New Vegas all had one or both of those.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I've always assumed that in-fiction there are tons of vehicles being used, or brahmin-lead wagons or whatever off screen, but due to The Engine being used in the modern games, game world size, scope, scale, etc etc, they're never actually implemented.

I'm mean gently caress look at how the vertibirds behave, you want cars or jeeps cruising around? The only instance of a moving vehicle a player interacted with was a cutscene which was secretly a man running really fast in a train-hat.

An actual rail system would be rad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Play New Vegas Railroads and get run over by a train while going through a rail tunnel.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

New Vegas actually handled this pretty gracefully:

Giant relic traffic jam at Mojave Outpost means no one's rolling anything less maneuverable than a brahmin wagon through, and bureaucracy has halted even those.

The 95 got blowed up, and getting blowed up tends to make roads inconvenient for vehicles.

Convict laborers hijacked the incomplete rail system.

And obviously nothing's coming over the Dam or up the river from Legion lands.

Guess we're walkin'.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

SwitchbladeKult posted:

We forgot how potato-like faces looked in Oblivion compared to Skyrim. Skyrim didn't have the best faces but they at least look more human than vegetable.

:stonk:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even then the ammo dealer at 188 has her supply truck and the lounge singer on the run from New Reno had a working motorcycle

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Ok so am I the only one who is kind of annoyed at how the beta is being done?

I usually play betas of mmorpgs/online games so I can see if my computer can handle them. I also need to know how my latency from Asia is to the game servers.

Most importantly, I want to enjoy beta on my own time, when I can, not sessions (which I didn't know how it would happen for this game). I might just cancel my pre-order and wait for the full release unless they change it (since I won't be able to play it for most of next week due to work).

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Wrr posted:

I've always assumed that in-fiction there are tons of vehicles being used, or brahmin-lead wagons or whatever off screen, but due to The Engine being used in the modern games, game world size, scope, scale, etc etc, they're never actually implemented.

I'm mean gently caress look at how the vertibirds behave, you want cars or jeeps cruising around? The only instance of a moving vehicle a player interacted with was a cutscene which was secretly a man running really fast in a train-hat.

An actual rail system would be rad.

imagine all the general bugginess of using a horse in Skyrim, except the horse is bigger and can explode

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The nightmare that would be vehicles in a Gamebryo game.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

CharlestonJew posted:

imagine all the general bugginess of using a horse in Skyrim, except the horse is bigger and can explode

Fallout 4 already introduced vehicle-style power armor :v:

(I thought Fallout 4's armor was neat :gerty:)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tei posted:

The problem with BoS is not BoS.

The problem is exploiting characters and names for nostalgia sake, instead of inventing something new.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/terence-blacker/this-naked-exploitation-of-nostalgia-544352.html
https://onlycametoseeeboue.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/hypocritical-rant-on-nostalgia-exploitation-in-film-tv-culture/

Soon we will have "Pretty Women 2: My wife was a whore" and "Gladiator 2: Why I am even alive" and "Bee Movie 2: Ghostbusters".

Hey now, Gladiator 2: Christ Killer is a good script

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dont be mean to me posted:

Fallout 4 already introduced vehicle-style power armor :v:

(I thought Fallout 4's armor was neat :gerty:)

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I love those adorable Chinese artillery shell robots! I want one! :allears:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I don't really consider framerate a graphical feature, to be honest. If your game's framerate is poor then it's going to be less enjoyable to play overall. Fewer frames rendered per second means relatively more input lag, movement will be harder to track and generally everything will just feel shittier. But I guess most people are plebs and can only see 15 FPS per eye at most, so they don't mind playing at 20 FPS. But then if people are that blind, why do they need 4k resolution gameplay? I guess it comes down to it being harder to market "smooth framerate makes for nicer game" over "BIG RESOLUTION = MORE GAME"

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Minorkos posted:

I don't really consider framerate a graphical feature, to be honest. If your game's framerate is poor then it's going to be less enjoyable to play overall. Fewer frames rendered per second means relatively more input lag, movement will be harder to track and generally everything will just feel shittier. But I guess most people are plebs and can only see 15 FPS per eye at most, so they don't mind playing at 20 FPS. But then if people are that blind, why do they need 4k resolution gameplay? I guess it comes down to it being harder to market "smooth framerate makes for nicer game" over "BIG RESOLUTION = MORE GAME"

I totally agree. Framerate is way more important than how pretty the game is. I'm pointing out that people can't complain games don't look pretty enough but then complain when companies try to make their games look prettier but they run like poo poo.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

the car mod for new vegas uses hundreds of invisible explosions a second to get the car function working at all

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Father Wendigo posted:

But there are vehicles and railroads? F2, Tactics, Brotherhood of Steel, Van Buren and New Vegas all had one or both of those.

Yeah, every Fallout except the ones Bethesda developed in-house doesn't operate on the dumbass assumption that 200+ years on people are still squatting in pre-war trash piles without doing any cleanup and reduced to walking everywhere while the roads are littered with vehicles.

Wonder why? :thunk:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Even the ruins people lived in in FO2 were pretty nice. San fran was pretty clean, and vault city was modern and paved even.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I totally agree. Framerate is way more important than how pretty the game is. I'm pointing out that people can't complain games don't look pretty enough but then complain when companies try to make their games look prettier but they run like poo poo.

Just upping the resolution to 4k also doesn't really work that well when some of the art assets are as ropey as they are in FO4. So we end up with this kinda rear end-looking game, that runs like rear end, but it's in a high resolution. It all just looks a bit slapped together.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the car mod for new vegas uses hundreds of invisible explosions a second to get the car function working at all

Just like real life!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Bardeh posted:

Just upping the resolution to 4k also doesn't really work that well when some of the art assets are as ropey as they are in FO4. So we end up with this kinda rear end-looking game, that runs like rear end, but it's in a high resolution. It all just looks a bit slapped together.

I really want to blame the 4k thing on Microsoft. It seems like a very them thing to do considering their "true 4k gaming" marketing bullshit...

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I love those adorable Chinese artillery shell robots! I want one! :allears:

maybe they could have a pip boy wearing one as a hat???

i need christmas ornaments

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1053680995780751362?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Wonder what his skeleton looks like