Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The worst part about playing Dark Souls on the Switch is deciding what build to go for because picking out something offbeat and making it work is where the true Dark Souls begins. I'm probably going to do my dual-wielded bonewheel shield build again at some point, but for now I'm playing Great Demon Hammer. Nothing like dedicating your first 18 levels to just being able to use your weapon and then you have to do it mostly naked to really make it exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Postmaster GBS posted:

man. gently caress megaman

Just play on casual, or even newcomer. What's the point of a game if you're not having fun?

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
entering your character name in switchy souls is the dark souls of ui

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah so I was doing all right and jacking up undead archers with my hand axe. We cool, we cool, I picked up a Pyromancy Flame and now I got a nice handful of fire, but I only seem to be able to throw it about three feet.

Also at this point my 5-year-old son is in my lap watching me play on the handheld, and he is Fully Into This poo poo. Telling me which hallways to try and helpfully informing me when I've died (YOU DIED) and it was his assessment that the Asylum Demon was maybe too big to fight right now.

Loving it. Good memories and I'm going to love playing it with my kids.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm not gonna buy dark souls again for the switch but i might replay it on the pc since people are talking about it again, it's been a few years by now

Get the third party connection optimizer that way you'll always have a couple dozen people to help/murder. ,

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mdemone posted:

Yeah so I was doing all right and jacking up undead archers with my hand axe. We cool, we cool, I picked up a Pyromancy Flame and now I got a nice handful of fire, but I only seem to be able to throw it about three feet.

Also at this point my 5-year-old son is in my lap watching me play on the handheld, and he is Fully Into This poo poo. Telling me which hallways to try and helpfully informing me when I've died (YOU DIED) and it was his assessment that the Asylum Demon was maybe too big to fight right now.

yeah pyromancy is more of a back-up tool for meleeing, it's not something you'll rely on solely like regular magic

Relevant Tangent posted:

Get the third party connection optimizer that way you'll always have a couple dozen people to help/murder. ,

got a link?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah pyromancy is more of a back-up tool for meleeing, it's not something you'll rely on solely like regular magic

I love this part about DS1 pyromancy, it's just like an extra tool to go along with your weapon and shield.

that said, aiming in Dark Souls is kinda weird and you gotta aim up if you wanna throw forward, if that makes sense? Like I've seen a lot of people throw the fireball straight into the ground because they don't get how aiming works. Of course this is only a problem if you free-aim

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

You can, and it can scale in power way faster than most things since the flame only requires cash to pump it up rather than a resource and not even that much. But there's more things resistant to fire than magic and it takes a while before you can really start hitting really effective pyromancies (though if you know what you're doing, you can get some really powerful stuff shortly after you beat the first firey boss). Combustion is basically a fire melee attack while fireball is the one that you toss like a grenade. Like most things in the Souls series, the weakess of these spells is overcome by how many times you can use them and double slotting combustion is pretty reasonable as a melee replacement even if it does get outclassed by a weapon with strong scaling at the upper ranges.

Basically, pyro was an easy mode to power in DS1, though it had some pretty big holes and people dedicating themselves to powergaming were going to beat it at the end. It got scaled way back in later games as pyro spells started scaling with stats instead of just the hand.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 21, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s adorable how many bloodstains are near the skeletons in Firelink on Switch.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Master Key is a really terrible idea for a first playthrough

Oops

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I really wish they'd make it so you could only pick it after playing a game without it. It lets you break the game in half which is great and awesome when you already know what you're doing, but really confusing and overwhelming if you don't. It lets you do a lot of stuff out of sequence and since it opens everything you won't even know what the sequence is in the first place.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You're fine, but buy all the keys anyway. There's one that's used twice and the master key only opens one of the doors.

Also, if you've wandered into the place that can be dangerous, don't feel bad if you just get one shotted. You'll get there on the intended playthrough path soon enough.

The master key is awesome for later playthroughs where you might want to see if you can do some crazy sequence breaking. On your first playthrough, it's mainly useful for getting some kind of neat treasures early and they might not be useful for your build anyway. Well except for him and his ring, that's useful for everybody and the worst thing about taking firebombs for the quick Asylum demon kill on this playthrough was having to go get that key. But then by the time I reached him I was handling the demon hammer and it breaks even his poise.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 21, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's weird Ubisoft came up with a great keyboard entry interface for Beyond Good and Evil and then literally no one ever used it again

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

mdemone posted:

he's gonna love the boss of blight town

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bombadilillo posted:

gently caress dark souls. Everyone just invaded and murdered me in that demo.

As everyone let me just say thank you for your tasty souls.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

he's gonna love the boss of blight town

Its gonna create another gamer horny for Nintendo

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bombadilillo posted:

gently caress dark souls. Everyone just invaded and murdered me in that demo.

gently caress call of duty these people keep shooting guns at me.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So I bought myself a year’s worth of online but now my girlfriend wants to play Spla2n on her account.

Is there a way to switch to family plan or do I have to buy an account just for her and circle back next year with a family plan?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Folks playing Starlink - I started playing today and so far am tooling around on two planets.. But I'm confused about the map. Sometimes things turn orange when I capture them, and sometimes not. Like I'll solve a spire puzzle, and its marker just stays white. Any ideas?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beastie posted:

So I bought myself a year’s worth of online but now my girlfriend wants to play Spla2n on her account.

Is there a way to switch to family plan or do I have to buy an account just for her and circle back next year with a family plan?

No way to upgrade

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i fell into a deep wikihole trying to understand all of the pvp poo poo in darksouls :psyduck:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Barudak posted:

No way to upgrade

Dang, oh well. $20 more so she can play Spla2n and score better than me :smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zyla posted:

i fell into a deep wikihole trying to understand all of the pvp poo poo in darksouls :psyduck:

Its very simple. Dont ever be human unless you need help with a boss and poof, no PVP

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah, being human doesn't confer any necessary benefits unless you want to co-op or not look like ground beef.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Barudak posted:

Its very simple. Dont ever be human unless you need help with a boss and poof, no PVP

i want to pvp! just having to read all thgis poo poo to learn how to is annoyin!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Why is buying a grey switch with no games the same price as buying some neon puke one with fortnite :barf: and Minecraft :barf: :barf: pre-installed

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Those games are free normally

Maybe Minecraft isn't but Fortnite is definitely

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ungulateman posted:

Why is buying a grey switch with no games the same price as buying some neon puke one with fortnite :barf: and Minecraft :barf: :barf: pre-installed
because fornite is free and minecraft is like $10

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The neon colors are better than plain gray. Cmon.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Harlock posted:

The neon colors are better than plain gray. Cmon.

Yep.

Also minecraft owns and you should try it on something if you haven't yet. It's expensive on the Switch, but it's a fine port.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bowmore posted:

because fornite is free and minecraft is like $10

MC is still $30, last I checked.

And thank God. If it we're $10 I would lose dozens of hours of my life again.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ungulateman posted:

I have neon joycons and grey joycons. When the great are charging it looks gross and bland.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Join the atomic purple cult and rejoice every time you turn the Joycons on and you can see the lights inside

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is starlink really 15 hours? I thought it was kind of perpetual. How they gonna keep you buying toys?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Beastie posted:

Barudak posted:

No way to upgrade

This is literally the dumbest poo poo; it should be linked to the console not individual player profiles

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Is starlink really 15 hours? I thought it was kind of perpetual. How they gonna keep you buying toys?

From what I understand, that's the 'rush straight through the story and do only what you have to to' time. My guess is that they'll periodically add new story content either in free patches or bundled with the toys/dlc to incentivize buying into them.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

THE loving MOON posted:

From what I understand, that's the 'rush straight through the story and do only what you have to to' time. My guess is that they'll periodically add new story content either in free patches or bundled with the toys/dlc to incentivize buying into them.

They kind of have to, to keep the market going. Just seems pretty short for a ubisoft game, one and a game that's making me want to buy things two.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bombadilillo posted:

Wait the premium plastic toy dlc game is single player?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
For the starlink coop, if I get the digital edition does it work? The FAQ on ubisoft's website isn't super clear and makes it seem like one player needs a physical ship while the other uses digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dunno if it's been posted here but at the moment the prospect of a Xenoblade Chronicles X port on Switch doesn't sound very good.

quote:

"Well, the future at present is unclear," Takahashi says, which is the same answer I received when I ask about the possibility of a Xenoblade Chronicles 3. "Personally speaking, I'd love to play the game on the Switch, but it would be really difficult to make it."

When it comes to roadblocks that stand in the way of Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch, Takahashi's answer is simple.

"Money," he laughs. "It's a massive game. Re-creating it would be really difficult."