Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's not always a status demonstration thing, a lot of the time it's an internal "I am the kind of person who has ____"

I am the kind of person who has a KitchenAid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What’s a good brand for grandpa style recliners? I want to drink beer and fall asleep watching golf in the afternoon would be my main use case

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

A MIRACLE posted:

What’s a good brand for grandpa style recliners? I want to drink beer and fall asleep watching golf in the afternoon would be my main use case

Unironically La Z Boy or Barcalounger.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

PRADA SLUT posted:

Usually buying fake items signifies a purchase for showing off some theoretical status, rather than an appreciation for the product. Which is extra weird for furniture since really nobody sees it but you or the people you invite over. Just who are you really trying to impress?

Huh. I’d say that it’s not even a factor for most knockoff furniture. Eames is maybe the exception because of this crazy malelivingspace mania.

Original pieces are laughably expensive for no reason other than exclusivity. They have good design, but almost no one is spending £6000 on a chair, or £500 per dining chair in the real world.

Of all the furniture in a price range, a lot of the options are based on classic designs, even those that aren’t direct copies.
If I choose a knockoff, it’s because it has good design for a sane price. Many people who have knockoff dining chairs have no idea that they’re copies of some specific designer model from the 60s - they just liked the way they looked.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

A MIRACLE posted:

Like EAT FASTER!!!!!! said, LaZBoy makes a really good recliner. I had to sell my leather one when we downsized to a smaller house and I still miss it. Now I just fall asleep on my couch while watching golf.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

fall asleep watching golf

I'm sure you can find one.. fore sale

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bobua posted:

Honest question, what's the deal with eames chairs and this thread?

Goons hate objectively nice things when they’re popular.

Joking aside, there are several different “Eames chairs”- but the most iconic (and therefore desirable/stereotypical/judgment inducing) ones are the big bent wood and leather armchair, a smaller bent wood easy chair, and a molded fiberglass/plastic chair that can come either as an armchair or armless with metal wire legs or wooden dowel legs. If you peruse sites like ApartmentTherapy for any extended amount of time you will probably see multiple exemplars of each- especially the molded chairs because they’re the most affordable/easy to replicate and people like using them as dining/desk/side chairs.

These chairs were designed by husband/wife duo Charles and Ray Eames, who are considered to be among the greatest 20th Century American designers. They designed a lot of other furniture pieces and decor items but today are probably best known for their chairs.

About a decade and a half ago, Midcentury Modern furniture and design rose dramatically in popularity among lay people who didn’t frequent MoMA exhibits, a trend which continues today in many places (not HGTV-land, though, MCM is way too elitist and coastal for Mormon stay-at-home moms). Those more in favor of the trend would argue that it was merely people recognizing the value of a timeless aesthetic and objectively excellent design. Those less in favor saw it as trendwhoring and past-fetishizing boringness- a lack of good ideas masquerading as style. Regardless, the MCM craze saw used furniture prices skyrocket, an upswing of business for the companies licensed to produce new examples of iconic pieces, a bajillion knockoff manufacturers coming out of everywhere to sell you reproductions of said pieces for fractions of what “the real thing” would cost, companies like IKEA and Crate and Barrel introducing MCM-inspired designs or bringing back pieces from their back catalogs, and even stores like Target and Urban Outfitters coming out with tons of their own flatpack “Midcentury inspired” furniture.

Today, the office/home furniture brand Herman Miller owns the production rights to the Eames portfolio, so the only way to get a new “authentic” Eames chair or “authentic” parts is from them. Herman Miller is not a particularly cheap brand- depending on what finish/veneer and upholstery you choose a leather Eames armchair can run you anywhere from $3500- almost $10k. The molded chairs are a lot more affordable but still not exactly cheap. On the one hand, it’s reinvigorated interest in these designs and created a thriving market for cheaper knockoffs and for contemporary designers to iterate on those old ideas. On the other, it’s also elevated these furniture pieces to status symbols, purchased by many less because of a deep personal affinity for a design and more to check off a box.

A lot of the Reddit pictures that get posted here feature Eames chairs in conspicuous places of pride where it’s kind of apparent that the owner doesn’t have a particularly strong personal style or aesthetic sense. They were just told that this is the peak of decorating good and that :females: respond well to that. If you have one of these people will think you’re cool and smart. Like everything else on Reddit, it’s been gamified and percolated through the mindset of male nerds. Less like curating a personal aesthetic through experiences and learning and individual taste and more like buying the most expensive armor you can afford for your Destiny 2 character.

To many people they’ve become the MCM hipster equivalent of keeping a Vitamix blender on your kitchen counter next to your KitchenAid stand mixer, which is a real shame because I honestly think they’re really exquisite pieces of furniture design. As somebody who intends to own an Eames armchair in the future because I legit think it rules, it sucks to see people reacting with eye rolls and fatigue and yet I also feel like that fatigue is in many ways warranted. It’s also ironic because the whole ethos behind a lot of the Eames’ most celebrated work was about democratizing design and using 20th century mass production methods (vacuum forming, wood lamination, etc) to make ergonomic and attractive pieces accessible to the masses.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Goons hate objectively nice things when they’re popular.

Joking aside, there are several different “Eames chairs”- but the most iconic (and therefore desirable/stereotypical/judgment inducing) ones are the big bent wood and leather armchair, a smaller bent wood easy chair, and a molded fiberglass/plastic chair that can come either as an armchair or armless with metal wire legs or wooden dowel legs. If you peruse sites like ApartmentTherapy for any extended amount of time you will probably see multiple exemplars of each- especially the molded chairs because they’re the most affordable/easy to replicate and people like using them as dining/desk/side chairs.

These chairs were designed by husband/wife duo Charles and Ray Eames, who are considered to be among the greatest 20th Century American designers. They designed a lot of other furniture pieces and decor items but today are probably best known for their chairs.

About a decade and a half ago, Midcentury Modern furniture and design rose dramatically in popularity among lay people who didn’t frequent MoMA exhibits, a trend which continues today in many places (not HGTV-land, though, MCM is way too elitist and coastal for Mormon stay-at-home moms). Those more in favor of the trend would argue that it was merely people recognizing the value of a timeless aesthetic and objectively excellent design. Those less in favor saw it as trendwhoring and past-fetishizing boringness- a lack of good ideas masquerading as style. Regardless, the MCM craze saw used furniture prices skyrocket, an upswing of business for the companies licensed to produce new examples of iconic pieces, a bajillion knockoff manufacturers coming out of everywhere to sell you reproductions of said pieces for fractions of what “the real thing” would cost, companies like IKEA and Crate and Barrel introducing MCM-inspired designs or bringing back pieces from their back catalogs, and even stores like Target and Urban Outfitters coming out with tons of their own flatpack “Midcentury inspired” furniture.

Today, the office/home furniture brand Herman Miller owns the production rights to the Eames portfolio, so the only way to get a new “authentic” Eames chair or “authentic” parts is from them. Herman Miller is not a particularly cheap brand- depending on what finish/veneer and upholstery you choose a leather Eames armchair can run you anywhere from $3500- almost $10k. The molded chairs are a lot more affordable but still not exactly cheap. On the one hand, it’s reinvigorated interest in these designs and created a thriving market for cheaper knockoffs and for contemporary designers to iterate on those old ideas. On the other, it’s also elevated these furniture pieces to status symbols, purchased by many less because of a deep personal affinity for a design and more to check off a box.

A lot of the Reddit pictures that get posted here feature Eames chairs in conspicuous places of pride where it’s kind of apparent that the owner doesn’t have a particularly strong personal style or aesthetic sense. They were just told that this is the peak of decorating good and that :females: respond well to that. If you have one of these people will think you’re cool and smart. Like everything else on Reddit, it’s been gamified and percolated through the mindset of male nerds. Less like curating a personal aesthetic through experiences and learning and individual taste and more like buying the most expensive armor you can afford for your Destiny 2 character.

To many people they’ve become the MCM hipster equivalent of keeping a Vitamix blender on your kitchen counter next to your KitchenAid stand mixer, which is a real shame because I honestly think they’re really exquisite pieces of furniture design. As somebody who intends to own an Eames armchair in the future because I legit think it rules, it sucks to see people reacting with eye rolls and fatigue and yet I also feel like that fatigue is in many ways warranted. It’s also ironic because the whole ethos behind a lot of the Eames’ most celebrated work was about democratizing design and using 20th century mass production methods (vacuum forming, wood lamination, etc) to make ergonomic and attractive pieces accessible to the masses.

Because of this, I'm reading up at the Eames website, it's very interesting so far.
http://www.eamesoffice.com/

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

They offer tours of the eames house in the palisades, it’s expensive af but I’ve always wanted to get a group together and go

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That was a great writeup, but MCM aesthetics are definitely a thing in HGTV world too. Centsational Style is a good crossover example. And!!! she is :siren:a woman with a blog and also kids

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Electric Bugaloo posted:

To many people they’ve become the MCM hipster equivalent of keeping a Vitamix blender on your kitchen counter next to your KitchenAid stand mixer, which is a real shame because I honestly think they’re really exquisite pieces of furniture design...

Goons have always been super hung up on showing everyone how into the ultra-poplar things they aren't. Interior design works a lot better when people just pick out what they like and try to make it work together rather than trying to carve out a niche in internet e-peen design history.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It’s the furniture version of Infinite Jest

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On a different topic, does anyone have any recommendations for books about architecture? Something that's, like, a layman's introduction to how houses are designed from an aesthetic and practical perspective. Not so much on the construction techniques, more on the "you want to put the kitchen over here because <reasons>" kind of thing.

Maybe Bill Bryson's "At Home" if you wanna be super casual about it. It's a history of the home, but a lot of it is focused on the stuff in the house, rather than the house itself.

McMansion Hell has a big list of books and resources: http://mcmansionhell.com/post/158046196166/the-mcmansion-hell-big-list-of-books-websites

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Maybe Bill Bryson's "At Home" if you wanna be super casual about it. It's a history of the home, but a lot of it is focused on the stuff in the house, rather than the house itself.

McMansion Hell has a big list of books and resources: http://mcmansionhell.com/post/158046196166/the-mcmansion-hell-big-list-of-books-websites

Thanks! That is...a lot of material. :stare:

Qwijib0 posted:

I don't know if you can find a reprint, but here's basically the bible used to build post-war america (fed guide to eligibility req's for GI loans)

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015037428375;view=1up;seq=1

Modern tract housing all traces its lineage to it.

Also thanks! I think my eventual Dream Home probably won't be a tiny tract house, but frankly at this point what I need is educated perspectives and this certainly is one.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm also not a fan of the most popular female option, where all desktops must be hidden in shame closets

What if the answer...is somewhere in the middle

what reddit is that

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Not to unfairly prejudge a guy’s work without seeing it but I don’t know many professional corporate/product photographers with “a lot of haters.” You sure he didn’t mean “Instagram poster” when he said “shoe photographer?” Maybe “lifestyle blogger” or “influencer” rather than “product photographer?”

Like you can totally be a product photographer and have a style with a lot of heavy personal flourish or even polarizing aesthetic, but I still have no clue how you land an army of haters that way. Is his portfolio just pictures of his apartment?

quote:

Always catch hate, but I do freelance photography on the side for a lot of streetwear brands + a sneaker guy.. still adding, but current office set up, that 100% works for me

making fun of eames chairs: I like eames big loungers and the molded plastic chairs, i just think reddits checklist obsession with stuff in general is funny. They idolise manliness and to them that chair is the peak of manliness SO YOU MUST HAVE IT. they also get incredibly spergy about cables and the need to have a rug. If you don't have an eames lounge chair and a rug and 0 cables and copious amounts of plants then your house is poo poo, but if you complete that checklist you could stack all of them upside down in a corner and they'd think its good.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 27, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's not a reddit afaik, it's on apartment therapy, design sponge, in magazines, etc.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The desktop goes in the office, which is geared towards functionalism more than aesthetics because it's not by default a public space. Too bad if you don't have a spare room you can dedicate to computing, I guess. :shrug:

Alternatively, the desktop goes in the play room, I guess.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think that’s why most people use laptops.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The desktop goes in the office, which is geared towards functionalism more than aesthetics because it's not by default a public space. Too bad if you don't have a spare room you can dedicate to computing, I guess. :shrug:

Alternatively, the desktop goes in the play room, I guess.

If you're decorating for anyone but yourself anywhere in your home, you're doing it wrong. gently caress other people.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Blue Footed Booby posted:

gently caress other people.
I think that's most people's goal, which is why when they decorate they take others into account. :v:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Blue Footed Booby posted:

If you're decorating for anyone but yourself anywhere in your home, you're doing it wrong. gently caress other people.

just lol at this guy who doesn’t live in a mcmansion in the exurbs

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
The ideal basement:

- wood paneling
- wood stove for heat
- video games
- wooden tv
- wooden chair
- bare concrete floor
- wood

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You forgot the Clint Eastwood poster, which really is the cherry on the sundae here.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ideal basement:
- Deep
- Dark
- Strong door locks (external)
- Quiet
- Hidden door
- Soundproofing
- "wet room"
- Secret
- Quiet

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jaded Burnout posted:

Ideal basement:
- Deep
- Dark
- Strong door locks (external)
- Quiet
- Hidden door
- Soundproofing
- "wet room"
- Secret
- Quiet

You forgot "Spongebob Squarepants wading pool to contain the blood"

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
ideal basement:

- concrete
- pool
- light fixture

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm also not a fan of the most popular female option, where all desktops must be hidden in shame closets

What if the answer...is somewhere in the middle

it's just annoying how desktop computers are so limited in appearance. Every other appliance has a variety of aesthetic options available but suddenly once you go full pc master race you end up with a black and red pleather nightmare to sit in and a pressboard hutch to stick the keyboard on. I'm glad computers come in black and grey now as opposed to only being "Old Bandaid" beige but anything other than bare minimalism looks like it belongs in the nightclub in Blade.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Psh, everyone knows the REAL PC Master Race go with high-end herman miller or steelcase 24 hour chairs, not those ridiculous streamer racing chairs :goonsay:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, I mean I get that the hardware is bad generally but.. nobody HAS to buy those rainbow colored gamer xtreme chairs. Like, those are 100% optional.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

hailthefish posted:

Psh, everyone knows the REAL PC Master Race go with high-end herman miller or steelcase 24 hour chairs, not those ridiculous streamer racing chairs :goonsay:

I have a $1500 34" UW curved alienware display on 9' of solid walnut desk, anda $99 costco chair...how am I doing

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You can get decent looking cases, but you have to do a lot of looking, and they tend to cost a lot more than you'd think a loving aluminum box with some holes in it should cost.

That said I have a patently absurd case with an LED-lit fan and a big rear end window in the side and I don't care what people think of it. Sitting on a busted-rear end government surplus steel desk with a $90 office depot chair in front of it.

(but I immediately think less of anyone who admits to having one of those silly streamer chairs)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
there’s an answer to your PC “master race” problem but you weebs prolly won’t like it

:woz:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426201&perpage=40&pagenumber=1066:woz:

Take that NERDS!! *revs engine and peels out, spraying mud all over the back of his jacket*

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 28, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Seriously why were computers beige up through the 90s???

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

They were also various shades of grey.

You have to remember that almost everything design-wise that we associate with chic, futuristic design is heavily influenced by mid-century modernism which was dated as gently caress in the 70's. Beige and off-whites were the neutrals of choice and what people associated with new, high-tech stuff. Just look at Star Trek: Next Generation.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

*apparently* this is to do with some European workplace standards for "light value colours" influencing IBM, and everyone copying IBM. But I've not been able to verify that properly.

hailthefish posted:

Yep. I got me a second-hand Aeron for cheap out of a dude's garage in Plumstead that was definitely not stolen. Still going 5 years later.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yep. I got me a second-hand Aeron for cheap out of a dude's garage in Plumstead that was definitely not stolen. Still going 5 years later.

Hey, it could've just been "liquidated" from a startup that went under, so you're really only stealing venture capitalist's money

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

Hey, it could've just been "liquidated" from a startup that went under, so you're really only stealing venture capitalist's money

That is the story he told, and what I choose to believe.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My Aeron is 12 years old and the only thing wrong with it is the left arm rest is cracked.

If you're spending several hours every day sitting in something, you should be willing to spend a lot of money on that thing. Same deal with mattresses.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

My Aeron is 12 years old and the only thing wrong with it is the left arm rest is cracked.

If you're spending several hours every day sitting in something, you should be willing to spend a lot of money on that thing. Same deal with mattresses.

I've only had mine for a few years, but it's like 20 years old at this point and my arm rest is also cracked, but it doesn't affect the functionality. Another cool thing about Aerons is they are readily servicable. so if something is broken you can buy the part and swap it out without too much effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I might get something like that. I have a soft pad executive knockoff that looks pretty but isn’t actually very nice to sit in for long periods of time