Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

I've never seen a house that feels like the ambiance would be improved upon by the sound of interstate traffic but there you go.
I feel like it somehow would generate that sound spontaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

vonnegutt posted:

Yes, a PC case is most likely needs to be rectangular, have sides that can open, and exposed mesh/fans. But that's really it in terms of actual requirements. Heat management is not the reason every case has bright blue LEDs, racing stripes, or random angular panelling, all available in any color so long as it's black or grey.

Why aren't there any cases that look like a 1950s Chevy BelAir? Or have art deco stylings? Or even something as simple as a clean, rounded white that would look at home in a Pinterest office.

Mac figured out that not every computer owner is a corporate drone or a hacker edgelord, and they made money hand over fist for overpriced hardware because it looked cute to the rest of the population.

Check out the new System76 thelio for a different style of PC case https://system76.com/desktops They’re trying.

Apple haven’t and don’t sell significant numbers of desktops, and I’m not sure anyone does any longer - but I don’t think any consumers were dropping $3000 on MacPro for looks.

They’ve definitely been influential on PC designs, but it’s really no longer the case - go look at laptops - the Mac ones don’t stand out based on appearance at all in an electronics dept, just the logo. Do MacBooks look slicker than the new Surfaces?

Also go look at the Intel NUC vs Mac Mini. If you’re prepared to take the same size compromises that Apple force on you and pay a little extra the product is the same / better, many more configuration options and in the UK at least, the prices are 1/3.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I like brutalist architecture but for, like, libraries and prisons and schools and stuff?

For a space you actually want to live and grow up and exist I think this couldn't possibly be worse.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wooger posted:

Also go look at the Intel NUC vs Mac Mini. If you’re prepared to take the same size compromises that Apple force on you and pay a little extra the product is the same / better, many more configuration options and in the UK at least, the prices are 1/3.

These can be mounted behind the monitor to reduce desktop clutter also, it's what I'll get when the living room is rearranged to make space for a kids homework computer.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

wooger posted:

Check out the new System76 thelio for a different style of PC case https://system76.com/desktops They’re trying.

Why, I never knew before that I'd want my house to have a computer that cost as much as a well-optioned BMW. (Yes, I just added every option to see how crazy it would get.) Those are some attractive-looking cases. In reality, though, I'd probably just hide a server somewhere rather than pay a premium for a pretty machine.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Why, I never knew before that I'd want my house to have a computer that cost as much as a well-optioned BMW. (Yes, I just added every option to see how crazy it would get.) Those are some attractive-looking cases. In reality, though, I'd probably just hide a server somewhere rather than pay a premium for a pretty machine.

I kind of always knew that I wanted my house to have a computer that cost as much as a well-optioned BMW.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I like the place, gently caress those haters

also, just stick a computer in the closet if its ugly as gently caress and run a cable through the wall

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

whalesteak posted:

Edit: I can't stress enough how much these parents must hate their kids

Actually coming round to it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I like brutalist architecture but for, like, libraries and prisons and schools and stuff?

For a space you actually want to live and grow up and exist I think this couldn't possibly be worse.

mom: *raises children in concrete isolation chamber complete with automatic auditory deprivation for generation of audio hallicinations and minimal color or natural sunlight*

mom: Why are my children acting so mentally ill and not interested in moving out of the house and keep rubbing their hands against the concrete until they bleed, and screaming about hearing His Unholy Voice Hearkening Us To The End?! Ugh, children these days, so ungrateful! You gotta pound pavement, not your head against the walls until it's stained with your sanguine offerings!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Brutalist architecture owns bones y’all can lick my rear end in a top hat.

wooger posted:

Apple haven’t and don’t sell significant numbers of desktops, and I’m not sure anyone does any longer - but I don’t think any consumers were dropping $3000 on MacPro for looks.

They’ve definitely been influential on PC designs, but it’s really no longer the case - go look at laptops - the Mac ones don’t stand out based on appearance at all in an electronics dept, just the logo. Do MacBooks look slicker than the new Surfaces?

Ahahahahaha are you for real? Macs don’t stand out these days because literally the entire industry crawled up their butts aping their aesthetic. I’ll contend that Lenovo and HP were the first to bring gold to notebooks back in like 2012 but the year the MacBook came in gold every single holdout that remained (Dell, et al) had a gold laptop on the market within the quarter. And in the portables space the industry-wide plagiarism is un-loving-deniable.

Also I firsthand know people who bought/expensed trashcan pros because they needed something desktop/workstation-class and preferred the look.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Brutalist architecture owns bones y’all can lick my rear end in a top hat.

It can be done well, but it's a travesty when it isn't.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It needs a lot of nature juxtaposition too as contrast.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I like the place, gently caress those haters

also, just stick a computer in the closet if its ugly as gently caress and run a cable through the wall

The moment when you become a gimmick account of yourself.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

:vince:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hailthefish posted:

Yikes. Yeah. Brutalism needs lots of light and 'airy' interior space to be livable. Contrasting materials can help a lot, too. Dumbass dug himself a lovely bunker.

I like both brutalism and ultra modern architecture homes, but not feeling that place.

I can’t understand the layout of that place at all, looks pokey considering it was custom built. Why are half the windows tiny? Why is half the house sunken into the ground? Why is there a big wall around the patio rather than putting it next to the garden?

What is that water feature in the garden meant for, a lovely pond?

Leaving unfinished concrete on the entire inside is not a good choice either, having rendered and painted walls in at least half of it plus a hardwood floor (maybe ceiling too) would go a long way to make it feel warmer and brighter.

Also, walking and standing on concrete constantly is not pleasant, it’s too hard.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ahahahahaha are you for real? Macs don’t stand out these days because literally the entire industry crawled up their butts aping their aesthetic. I’ll contend that Lenovo and HP were the first to bring gold to notebooks back in like 2012 but the year the MacBook came in gold every single holdout that remained (Dell, et al) had a gold laptop on the market within the quarter. And in the portables space the industry-wide plagiarism is un-loving-deniable.

Also I firsthand know people who bought/expensed trashcan pros because they needed something desktop/workstation-class and preferred the look.

Ha, if they truly needed workstations they would’ve been sorely disappointed when they overheated.

I’ve never really gotten the relevance of desktop size / appearance once you get to the point of having it situated at a desk - just put it on the floor and you’ll hardly even notice it.

For every design feature that you think the PC industry stole from MacBooks I can show you another one done first on a PC laptop.

e.g. Chicklet keys: Sony
All-Metal build: Panasonic

Re mobile: It’s hard to see what design elements can be stolen or reasonably copied from from a black rectangle, but agree the notch & removal of headphone port are obvious examples of thoughtless copying.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

A plain concrete box, free from pesky elements like personality, practicality or livability AND an Eames lounger? It's almost as if I was baiting him...

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That's messed up

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wooger posted:

Ha, if they truly needed workstations they would’ve been sorely disappointed when they overheated.

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

That's messed up

Oh I know.

I’m excited to see what Jony farts out in 2019 tho. This week’s about-face on the Mac Mini has me feeling positive about it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

there wolf posted:

For people who worry about grease accumulation in a kitchen..

Is it any wonder I've got

toooo much

wine on my hands?

It's ticking away with my sanity

I've got too much

wine on my hands.

It's hard to believe such a calamity

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ideal for racquetball enthusiasts.

holy gently caress are they redditors
E: They called their kids Rafeti, Stellar and Aussie lmao

i dont mind the bunker but i wouldnt live there. would be cool as an albanian bunker hostel or something

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 5, 2018

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Here is the final evolution of the Pink Bathroom

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4174-New-Mexico-State-Hwy-197-Cuba-NM-87013/2087840946_zpid/

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

but carpet is so nice on your feet as you exit the shower.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Authentic ground-pork patterning on the wallpaper to help fulfill your dreams of living inside a sausage

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

That would be amazing with the carpet ripped out and the walls repainted.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

hailthefish posted:

That would be amazing a community bath house with the carpet ripped out and the walls repainted.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Pink bathroom you say?

Edit: I actually love the old pastel bathroom tiles and would be happy to have a pink bathroom as long as it was in good shape.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 8, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Pink bathroom you say?

That's the same shade of pink that was in my c1935 apartment building when I first moved to Philadelphia. The first apartment had a seafoam green and black bathroom. The second apartment had one green and black, one pink and black, and one yellow and black bathroom. The floors were just white and black, though. Honestly, for some reason the only things about that bathroom I would change are the pink tub and the vanity. Why that's what puts it over the edge for me, I don't know. But the separate alcoves for the toilet, bathtub, and shower are kinda nice.

Regarding carpet in bathrooms: my mom has always preferred it over hardwood floors or tile everywhere except the kitchen, so it never struck me as weird to see it in a bathroom. But she's super-careful about making sure it stays dry, etc., and as a result ten years after the fact it still looks newly-installed. Hell, somehow the living-room carpet, which is literally thirty years old, still looks good. In pretty much any other house I'm sure it gets incredibly gross incredibly quickly.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The amount of pink and black bathrooms in the Philadelphia area is frightening.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I looked at a lot of 1920-40 houses when I bought my first one 15 years ago and was horrified by the rainbow of tile and matching sinks/tubs/toilets. Now after the assault of HGTV off-white and grey, I think I would love a pepto pink bathroom.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I hate pink bathrooms, or even worse, beige bathrooms, but I LOVE those morning-glory-blue bathrooms

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

I had one when I lived in DC -- the tile pattern was similar to the one in the picture above, except those dark red tiles were black, the sink and toilet were black, and the wall above them was painted Pepto-Bismol pink. It was also 1/3 the size of the one in the picture, with a 10' or 12' ceiling lit by industrial fluorescent lights. I called it Hell's Bathroom, and it remains engraved upon my mind as the site of my Traumatic Encounter with a 2" cockroach that somehow crawled up inside a leg of my pajamas and made it up to my thigh before I felt it.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Had a very mauve bathroom in a previous apartment and it was easy to keep a presentable level of clean, even as a sloppy 20-something. Once saw an otherwise horrible apartment with a really nice lemon yellow and white tile job. It was so cheery :3:

Also the tile jobs in those older bathrooms are generally extremely neat and soothe the autism, unlike many newer white-grey contractor renos.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Pink bathroom you say?

Edit: I actually love the old pastel bathroom tiles and would be happy to have a pink bathroom as long as it was in good shape.

If that wood was just oiled and unstained white oak and a bit lighter shade this would look really good imo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What is going on with the laundry room? I was confused laundry machines in the kitchen until I looked at the caption. Then I was more confused.

So many cupboards. But then they cheap out with the florescent lights. Wait, is that 6 electrical outlets? 6? Laundry by Grover.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Probably was an apartment kitchen.

And having that many outlets is a positive, AFAIAC

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I was gonna say, that bathroom looks bigger than my whole place, but I thought that might be hyperbole. According to the listing however, the house is 6,000SF, so it probably is.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Pink bathrooms have the benefit of being full of very flattering light, so when you get yourself ready in the morning, you look extra fabulous.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Lol the listing says you can use it as a survivalist retreat.

The Dave posted:

What's up with Philly's cool bathrooms? Did they just make a lot of tiles there and decided to go crazy with the colors or what?

I really prefer the weird color combo bathrooms, since every other bathroom I've ever been in has been 1) white, plain and sterile or 2) early-2000s nautical themed.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

big dyke energy posted:

Lol the listing says you can use it as a survivalist retreat.

What's up with Philly's cool bathrooms? Did they just make a lot of tiles there and decided to go crazy with the colors or what?

I really prefer the weird color combo bathrooms, since every other bathroom I've ever been in has been 1) white, plain and sterile or 2) early-2000s nautical themed.

The suburbs just exploded at the right time for it, so tons of stone colonials with similar decor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pink toilets help conceal hershey stains