Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Downloading this right now. I like to run drugged-out unarmed-only characters. Are the unarmed perks as viable in this as the other Fallouts?

I have a decent sized group I'll be playing with so I'll be covered for ranged threats

The only advantage of using fists-only is you won't be having to deal with weapon conditions. There are fists-weapons you can use that enhance your damage. (For example, at around 20+ level I had been using the moleman claw as basically a wolverine glove.)

There might also be perk cards that only work if you have no weapons equipped, but I'm not aware of them atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tei posted:

The solution to the endgame problem is to not expect one.

Once your stomach is full of this game, stop playing it, move to something else.

If the game happens to be more entertaining than predicted and for longer, great. If not, you did not lost.

Also is a very 2015 thing to hope for a game to replace your entire universe and live in the game, going outside sometimes to study or work on your job. All MMORPG games died, WoW ate them.

Maybe is more healthy to have a game that will be fun for 45 hours, then see what other artist can create.

Said that, I hope F76 will have a long tail, where if you want to prolong your visit to this universe, you will find many excuses, weak ones but may work for people.

How much did Bethesda pay you lmao

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
fallout is never coming back

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I cant wait to see the fallout from this games release

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

boo on unstackable drugs, though I'm sure there's mechanical reasons for that.

It's actually quite nice since it means individual chems are a lot more powerful now. You aren't just doing a cocktail of all the drugs at once to slightly boost everything, instead you take one drug that makes you really good at one thing. A melee dude with the blocker perk (45% less damage from melee attacks) and Fury (30% extra melee damage, 25% damage res or something) can basically just stand and face-tank endgame monsters quite easily while also making GBS threads out tons of damage.

Sadly, for some reason, there doesn't seem to be any expert/master damage perks for unarmed. Either one-handed melee perks also affect power fists and deathclaw gauntlets (I don't know if they do) or unarmed just doesn't have them. That said, you don't really need those extra damage perks for unarmed since melee hits hard as gently caress anyway and you can slot other stuff in their place. Strength has some of the best perks in the game. Also for some reason you still can't wield unarmed weapons while in power armor so keep that in mind.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

And a special thank you to all our fans who participated in the B.E.T.A. With your help we’ve made the game better each week. And this is just the beginning. We have an incredible list of updates we’ve begun work on – from C.A.M.P. building improvements, new quests and events, new Vaults opening, character respecing, a faction-based PvP system, and much more.

I hadn't read bethesda's letter to BETA players - this part is encouraging, as it addresses exactly the issues I am most worried about with the game. Namely, content (especially endgame) and PVP.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i loving love the pip boy

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Tei posted:

The solution to the endgame problem is to not expect one.

Once your stomach is full of this game, stop playing it, move to something else.

If the game happens to be more entertaining than predicted and for longer, great. If not, you did not lost.

Also is a very 2015 thing to hope for a game to replace your entire universe and live in the game, going outside sometimes to study or work on your job. All MMORPG games died, WoW ate them.

Maybe is more healthy to have a game that will be fun for 45 hours, then see what other artist can create.

Said that, I hope F76 will have a long tail, where if you want to prolong your visit to this universe, you will find many excuses, weak ones but may work for people.

the gently caress kind of 2015 did you live through?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Whoa, a game that actually comes out at midnight on the advertised date in New Zealand. Genuinely unique.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Pararoid posted:

Whoa, a game that actually comes out at midnight on the advertised date in New Zealand. Genuinely unique.

I mean they didn't even bother to put us on the map but at least they are getting the release timing right.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Spacedad posted:

I hadn't read bethesda's letter to BETA players - this part is encouraging, as it addresses exactly the issues I am most worried about with the game. Namely, content (especially endgame) and PVP.

Yeah, it 'addresses' them by flat out telling people that they aren't in place and won't be by the time they hit endgame.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Game launches in 6 hrs for AUS so I guess you can load up the VPNs if you feel like playing an even laggier version of FO76. I did a search through their ToS and don't actually see any rule against VPN use. Checked all hits for "VPN" and "location" and nothing really popped out.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 13, 2018

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Akumos posted:

Game launches in 6 hrs for AUS so I guess you can load up the VPNs if you feel like playing an even laggier version of FO76. I did a search through their ToS and don't actually see any rule against VPN use. Checked all hits for "VPN" and "location" and nothing really popped out.

It launches in 3 and a half hours in NZ if you're bothering to do that.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
The only line I saw even vaguely related was this:

ZeniMax in its sole discretion may implement various forms of filtering, blocking, or monitoring of IP addresses, MAC addresses or proxies used to use, play or access the Services, including without limitation blocking or filtering measures that restrict Your ability to use, play or access the Services. ZeniMax in its sole discretion may restrict access or certain features or Services to any person, territories or geographic areas.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It was pretty laggy at times from NZ and I'm on a half decent connection. You definitely don't want to be VPN'ing somewhere in NZ to go back out to their servers unless you really hate yourself.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Xik posted:

It was pretty laggy at times from NZ and I'm on a half decent connection. You definitely don't want to be VPN'ing somewhere in NZ to go back out to their servers unless you really hate yourself.

They have Amazon servers in Sydney afaik

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Xik posted:

Actually come to think of it, this. gently caress off, we need our bandwidth.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So no matter what and where I read in German forums and blogs, FO76 seems to be dead on arrival with it’s unfinished state (56 GB day1 patch proves exactly this they say).
The engine seems to be years behind, the UI clunky and the content is meh, they say.
German Gamestar (that are #1 Star Citizen shills and hype and hate randomly what they like or dislike and are a shell of former Gaming Journalism) made a video that already states in the description that FO76 grind would not be rewarding and shows the limitations of survival games bla bla.

To make this short: Despite serious flaws I liked Fallout 4, the post apocalyptic atmosphere, the story, the characters, the setting and even the crafting with the PoS UI.
Is there a chance I would like FO76 knowing that it is not FO 5, so I won’t whine like many others that expected or wanted exactly that and use this invalid strawman to spread hate?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
There is a very limited storyline and no companions/NPCs to really interact with. You get quests from locations, holotapes, some robots(closest thing to NPC humans) and maybe a few other ways like items found. The end game appears to just be nuking poo poo for better items and maybe now announced faction PVP. You can fight over workshops to generate resources/ammo and fight over nuke mobs I guess. You'll a basically much more shallow FO4 if you play solo, though the perk system is kind of better I think. It really is just MMORPG FO4 and with that comes more level restriction and grinding(have to grind attachments more by dismantling.) I think it's a good time killer and might be fun but it could have been better if they fleshed out the PVP more by adding something similar to war mode in WoW where having yourself flagged to not receive lower damage gives you some bonus to exp/caps maybe, and they definitely need to introduce more of an end game through raid bosses and instances of elite mobs.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Mr.PayDay posted:

So no matter what and where I read in German forums and blogs, FO76 seems to be dead on arrival with it’s unfinished state (56 GB day1 patch proves exactly this they say).
The engine seems to be years behind, the UI clunky and the content is meh, they say.
German Gamestar (that are #1 Star Citizen shills and hype and hate randomly what they like or dislike and are a shell of former Gaming Journalism) made a video that already states in the description that FO76 grind would not be rewarding and shows the limitations of survival games bla bla.

To make this short: Despite serious flaws I liked Fallout 4, the post apocalyptic atmosphere, the story, the characters, the setting and even the crafting with the PoS UI.
Is there a chance I would like FO76 knowing that it is not FO 5, so I won’t whine like many others that expected or wanted exactly that and use this invalid strawman to spread hate?

First, disregard most of the critical negativity - it's not that everything you cited is wrong, its that the game is fun despite those things, IF

IF you have ever thought to yourself while wandering around in the wastes of the past 3 Fallout games (Fallout 4 especially), "this would be fun cooperatively with (a) friend(s)". Naturally it is not identical. The game loop is a little short circuited without quest NPCs, but I personally feel it works out OK.

If you're not gungho for the idea of a cooperative Fallout spin off, give it a pass, or at least wait until you can get the thing discounted. The game absolutely has serious problems, mostly stemming from the archaic code they're stuck using from Fallout 4. 76 basically inherits all of 4's problems, from trash UI, to the general jank that Bethesda has been serving up for at least 20 years since Oblivion. Given we don't have the luxury of just modding this garbage away there's no reason to suffer through any of that unless you genuinely want the cooperative gameplay.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
did bethesda say whether it'll delete beta-made characters up for those of us not buying the game right away?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Progress is carried from the beta to the main game, unless they changed their mind very recently.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Mr.PayDay posted:

I'd say, why even take them seriously if this is their 'proof'? How dumb an argument is that?

Do they even realize the PC are going to get a smaller patch? And even then, that likely says way more about how the games are patched than what actually gets patched?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Progress is carried from the beta to the main game, unless they changed their mind very recently.

yeah but will it be there next year if i don't buy it till then?

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Rinkles posted:

yeah but will it be there next year if i don't buy it till then?

I'd assume progress is tied to your account so as long as you use the same account I don't see why not.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I was doubting it after never seeing something like this, but it's up. All progress seems in tact.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

loving staged release, the last time I checked it showed 1 day 8 hours. Everything seems to indicate I will not be able to play today. I want radiation in my veins and fight mutant bugs for poisoned food.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Thanks for the feedback guys, gotta buy this, my buddies agreed to follow as well. Fallout Coop sounds fun despite the (usual) hurdles and bugs at launch I expect.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Pararoid posted:

I was doubting it after never seeing something like this, but it's up. All progress seems in tact.

Can you check the stash limit? Did anything change there?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Fuzzykins posted:

Can you check the stash limit? Did anything change there?

It's still 400.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mr.PayDay posted:

"Everything I've read about this game indicates that it is a dumpster fire, so should I get it?"

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, it 'addresses' them by flat out telling people that they aren't in place and won't be by the time they hit endgame.

Yeah - and it was fairly clear those features were lacking/nonexistent to begin with. But at least we know these features are coming down the pipe instead of left guessing.

Edit: Apparently the game is actually right out now for people with digital copies. (???)

There's a level 65+ player trying out the endgame right now: https://www.twitch.tv/frenchtomahawk

Edit2: Watching a different streamer play - without spoiling anything, there is some endgame questing I'm seeing that gets pretty crazily sinister in some rather interesting ways.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 13, 2018

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Anyone with the magic of vpn and good internet can play now. I’m in as Guthries_ghost if any fellow bad game enjoyers would like to play

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013
Supposedly you don't need a VPN and it's available to anyone right now.

Would be nice, maybe bittersweet that I'm stuck at work right now but it would be nice to be able to play when I get back rather than have to wait till midnight :p

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

A streamer I'm watching playing through some difficult looking high level questing is running a locked-in (with luck perk) marsupial mutation + fist weapons build.

I asked them about that and they told me 'Marsupial is also good for lunging at people - if you jump in the air and use vats you can launch yourself right in people's faces from a distance.' He then proceeded to show it off. It didn't seem broken - just a creative way to get around the lack of range a melee-only character has.

He also has the cannibal perk and frequently stops in the middle of battle to chow on corpses for HP boosts.

Edit: I believe this is his build https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/perks?v=1&s=f1f631f&d=s92sg2ss2se2la2l71lk2lv1lu2ir2c41c81eo2ek1ee2er2ce0p10a00lh1e20&n=

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 13, 2018

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Would be very Bethesda to gently caress up a region lock too

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I didn't think the game was released until tomorrow, but it's available to play right now on PC for me. US Central time. Too bad I've got to go to work. :(

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
loving up the launch is just icing on the cake.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

'A level 65 guy is trying out endgame content on day one'

Lmao really getting your moneys worth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Spacedad posted:

Yeah - and it was fairly clear those features were lacking/nonexistent to begin with. But at least we know these features are coming down the pipe instead of left guessing.

Edit: Apparently the game is actually right out now for people with digital copies. (???)

There's a level 65+ player trying out the endgame right now: https://www.twitch.tv/frenchtomahawk

Edit2: Watching a different streamer play - without spoiling anything, there is some endgame questing I'm seeing that gets pretty crazily sinister in some rather interesting ways.

I can blow sunshine up your rear end about features that aren't even in development too, doesn't indicate it's anything but vaporware. Especially if the game isn't an immediate or even mid-term financial success.