Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s even stupider. Elon ripped up the spur. Tesla owns the land and the spur. Well, *owned* the spur. When it existed.

Nope. I'm like 90% sure the story went Union Pacific heads went into a meeting with Elon, he tried to threaten them into some idiotic deal by saying his e-trucks are gonna make railway obsolete, they said "cool story, bye." and ripped up the spur.

Elon couldn't have ripped it out because *he didn't own it, nor the land*.
It was UP's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s even stupider. Elon ripped up the spur. Tesla owns the land and the spur. Well, *owned* the spur. When it existed.

A automotive plant without rail accesses is like...well, a lot of other things Musk has done

When the plant was called NUMMI, used UAW union workers and it made Toyotas and rebadges for GM, it was a thousand times as efficient

The Pontiac Vibe: way beyond Tesla's league

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
the galaxy brain conspiracy theory would be that elon destroyed the rail spur deliberately to reduce the resale value of the factory and make a company-liquidating margin call from investors less appealing.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

orcinus posted:

Nope. I'm like 90% sure the story went Union Pacific heads went into a meeting with Elon, he tried to threaten them into some idiotic deal by saying his e-trucks are gonna make railway obsolete, they said "cool story, bye." and ripped up the spur.

It was UP's.

Wasn't he also several million dollars behind in payments to the railroad at that point? He wanted the debt restructured with insanely dumb terms, and the railroad balked. I think it was right after Tesla's definitely-not-bleeding-cash strategy of asking for refunds from suppliers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how near the end it basically all-but-states that the high-level OSHA guys who previously visited were obviously just Tesla/Musk fans who had probably decided to clear the company before even investigating it, ending with the ice-burn of one guy saying "he doesn't believe" a situation would happen that totally did happen.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
nah they were *former* OSHA guys that were hired as safety consultants at tesla, which is one of those things where they're given 200 grand a year to call their buddies back at real OSHA to tell them to go easy on them. It's a long form bribe

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Ytlaya posted:

I like how near the end it basically all-but-states that the high-level OSHA guys who previously visited were obviously just Tesla/Musk fans who had probably decided to clear the company before even investigating it, ending with the ice-burn of one guy saying "he doesn't believe" a situation would happen that totally did happen.

I was honestly surprised they didn't just say "we love this car"

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH HOLLLLLLLYYYyyyyy shiiittttt. Yeah sure just piss off a 150 year old institution. That's a fantastic plan. Never mind the millions of dollars of damage that you've done and probably 10+ million dollars in re-sale destroyed for what I can only assume was dumb as poo poo. I've also seen photos of the haulers and dry vans which is pretty much the most expensive way to transport an automobile that you could think of. poo poo they could 20ft intermodal it and even with the dray to the rail head and the unloading at destination would probably be ahead of the dry van across country.

not only the most expensive, but also super inefficient from a "green tech" company point of view. Those 10-11 car haulers only get like 5mpg due to the combination of weight and drag

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

this isn't uncommon on a lot of newer cars. my 2016 miata was under 60 microns in a few areas; however, mazda doesn't have paint booths in the middle of the parking lot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

orcinus posted:

It was UP's.

Huh, I could have sworn I heard the other way, but seeing as I can’t find anything to support that you are most likely correct.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Phone posted:

this isn't uncommon on a lot of newer cars. my 2016 miata was under 60 microns in a few areas; however, mazda doesn't have paint booths in the middle of the parking lot.

my 2016 Miata has really scratchable paint

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

Musk wanted to pay the railroad in exposure lol

but just think of how a business with a complete monopoly on its service could benefit from an increased market presence

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffle House posted:

This thread is a cornucopia of expertise.

a cornucopia of expert coprophagia

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Musk musk

musk Musk

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

bring back old gbs posted:

here's a pic of a guy disassembling a model S battery using the patented Tesla Sawzall technique

not a single thing pictured here is anything close to the correct tool for the job

yeh the photo doesn't include a grinning mug of whoever caused that mess

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

there's those skinny books that were advertised in like, sky mall, that sounded like super abridged books made for ~super smart executives~ that turned a few days of reading into like less than an hour

the people who ordered [and now prolly still order] those things then said they read a zillion books a day while working 240 hours a week while things are slow

yeh

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol I got looking and welllllll this is super endearing :allears:

https://www.mytotalretail.com/article/skymall-the-ultimate-catalog-business-model-21182/all/

nov 1 2000

"how can it fail???"

welp :aslol:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

to be fair, skymall usually has real good stock market recommendations

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Krankenstyle posted:

to be fair, skymall usually has real good stock market recommendations

Anything that stays away from drawing lines on a price graph is going to at least do all right.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

FAUXTON posted:

Anything that stays away from drawing lines on a price graph is going to at least do all right.

I've seen that a lot lately and still got no loving clue what are they meant to mean, is it some form of tea leaf fortune telling?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Teal posted:

I've seen that a lot lately and still got no loving clue what are they meant to mean, is it some form of tea leaf fortune telling?

I think it's just human brain finding a pattern and then drawing that and therefore number go up.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

FAUXTON posted:

prolly were better times to buy

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i wonder if anyone on that flight bought some weird poo poo from hammacherher schlimmer and then their eventual relative widower got some of the goofiest poo poo delivered via forklifts six to eight weeks later :allears:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

not only the most expensive, but also super inefficient from a "green tech" company point of view. Those 10-11 car haulers only get like 5mpg due to the combination of weight and drag

just think what theyd get without recessed door handles bub :smugdog:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Diesel electric.

Diesel generator charges batteries, batteries run electric motor. Works incredibly well if 99% of what you're doing is travelling at exactly the same speed.

heh, Elon was already ahead of the game with his Diesel Octopus. checkmate, tslaqailures :smug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/markbspiegel/status/1063792018625826816

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Not really that weird, tbh. Seen execs do that a lot for the most mundane reasons (needed money for house renovation, had to pay off the latest shipment of slaves, had to buy a plane).

Unrelated:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
wait a tesla fuel tank is just a pile of what look like AA batteries ?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they're vape pen batteries, sewer duck

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, Elon (pbuh) invented the AA battery

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Unless my scale was off, those looked like Cs.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
They’re 2170s if from Model 3 - 21 mm radius x 70 mm.
So thinner than a D, but thicker than a vape pen battery.

If they’re from an S or X it’s an 18650 (18 x 65mm), i.e. exactly what you’d find in a vape pen.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

o u got quite a few fun facts to discover itt duck lmao

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

orcinus posted:

Not really that weird, tbh. Seen execs do that a lot for the most mundane reasons (needed money for house renovation, had to pay off the latest shipment of slaves, had to buy a plane).

Unrelated:

Lmao that last sentence.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
isn't that completely insane? i thought it was one big battery

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Baloogan posted:

they're lithium ion 18650 cells. you can find them in your laptop battery, too:

the advantage to tesla is that these things are insanely common, so it's vastly cheaper to just buy tons of these rather than try to roll their own solution.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Baloogan posted:

oh look at mr big shot "knows how to properly design a battery for maximum energy density" over here.

(you need about 10-12 batteries in series to get the voltage up to the 400V or so that is most efficient, but the best thing to do is to stack a dozen big rectangular cells instead of a bajillion vape batteries)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
"Easy = possible, hard = not possible" is correct, so how the gently caress is Musk so goddamn incorrect with anything he thinks, says or does?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Concerned Citizen posted:

they're lithium ion 18650 cells. you can find them in your laptop battery, too:

the advantage to tesla is that these things are insanely common, so it's vastly cheaper to just buy tons of these rather than try to roll their own solution.

that argument went out the door when they built a plant to make batteries to their own specification and started using the entire capacity of that plant for their zip-zap cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

orcinus posted:

Unrelated:

Huh, yeah, that's true. He's not concerned about paychecks or implementation problems.

I wonder what his secret is :thunk: