Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm not sure catering to "hardcore" players by making trading poo poo is really a good approach to game design. Whelp yes you allowed the people who play a metric fuckton to play a little bit more, but may lose the more "casual" players because of it. Games should be streamlined and get me playing them and not trying to get me to spend tons of time doing stupid little things. Trading, inventory management, coloring sockets, iding gear, map management, key management etc. etc. etc. Some of these may add something to someone, but to me I just want to kill dudes appropriate for my abilities.

I have good news for you about the wide availability of casual, more arcade-style ARPGs! None of them are loving called "Path of Exile"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Andy Dufresne posted:

In the original D3 I ended up playing a total of like 15 hours after reaching level cap. I bought up the best gear I could on the auction house (gold, not RMAH), and in that 15 hours I didn't loot a single item better than the poo poo I bought for pennies on the auction house. It really killed the game for me and I quit until RoS (which had its own problems).

If trading in POE were automated a lot more items would be listed. Basically anything currently priced under about 10c would be worthless, not even worth an Alch. A new player would reach level cap and buy shaper viable gear with the currency they earned leveling, completely removing half the incentive to play the game. When they can buy out the Atlas in 10 minutes there goes the other half of the game.

The only way I'd be in favor of an automated trade system is if each listing had an associated fee of at least a couple of chaos.

The loot system in vanilla D3 was legit broken. They didn't just remove the AH (and trading) from the game. They completely overhauled how legendaries were generated. In vanilla, you would commonly have legendary items drop with significantly worse stats than rares. The AH probably had something to do with that, in that perhaps they thought by making legendaries rare, but also mostly bad, it would drive up demand on the RMAH and make them some cash. But that was ulimtately just them being bad and awful designers. WoW has had a normal AH from launch and you could pretty much never get the best gear in the game from it. Even Ragnarok Online (the alpha/beta, which is all I played), allowed player merchants who basically just afk'd in town until their merchant inventory was empty.

D3 had a lot of things wrong with it, and the AH system was objectively bad, but let's not incorrectly blame the mere existence of a trade system for D3 having bad loot and a nearly unplayable endgame at launch.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Don't you want rares to be the best idgi?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

:eyepop:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

What the gently caress

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
say loving what now

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Andy Dufresne posted:

Can you read?

I read him blaming the auction house was that wrong? He could have blamed the drop rate instead but whatever. It's not like Path of Exile is much different in this regard but at least you amass useful currency that you can use or trade to improve your own gear. People honestly expect to find an improvement for their build after a certain point? Neat. Generally the builds I make want certain gear that I'd never expect to drop. Abberath's hooves? Buying. Poet's Pen? Buying x 2. Alpha Howls? Buying. Sure you can play more flexible builds if that's your jam, but I still think the drop rate is too low to make solo self found an enjoyable experience.

Borderlands had the whole using gear you find thing going for it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 21, 2018

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

uhhh lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

*me, a new player*

Oh man +9 to every attribute? That's great, I can use every gem I want!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
what the poo poo

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
*stares*

Neat

*stares harder*

minimum?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You have Endurance Charge

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Well I guess that's how a non-Juggernaut would use Tectonic Slam.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think there are legit arguments for and against trade systems, but lol at anyone unironically asserting that the current mildly inconvenient system is "hardcore" or some kind of gatekeeping mechanism worthy of pride. If anything, the fact that you can obtain pretty much every item you need through trading in PoE makes it way more casual then something like WoW, or even Diablo 3 in that regard, since you pretty much have to grind for drops in those. PoE is definitely more difficult and complicated in most other areas, but trading ain't it. It just has an archaic method of handling it, which turns some people off to it is all.

If you can make it to endgame and manage to learn enough that you want specific items and want to pay for them, you are already going to know enough to figure out the way PoE trading works. That said, you don't have to like it, and I think it is perfectly fine to wish things you don't like in games you DO like were different. I haven't had to really deal with trading yet, but in seeing how it works, I would definitely side with wishing it could be handled a bit more automated, mostly because it would be nice to throw a bunch of stuff up for sale at night and then come back the next day to some currency.

MMF Freeway posted:

You have Endurance Charge

Wait does that mean you can't have 0 charges?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

McFrugal posted:

Well I guess that's how a non-Juggernaut would use Tectonic Slam.

I was really hoping that the Tec Slam rework would move it away from consuming charges (and I suppose that could still happen), but this is making me feel a little better about making a full fire conversion Tec Slam Chieftain as my league starter.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Maybe that'll be usable on rings too, so you could in theory always have 3/3 endurance charges up, allowing for 'while at maximum endurance charge' shenanigans too.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Even without crafting it on rings (it could easily be amulet-only) you can have 1/1 endurance charges to get max with less investment than the usual 0/0 shenanigans.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

legendaries/uniques should be worse than rares unless they build enable. however original d3 didn't really have any of that and their uniques were extremely rare. I think I saw 2 drop on the way to inferno.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

McFrugal posted:

Even without crafting it on rings (it could easily be amulet-only) you can have 1/1 endurance charges to get max with less investment than the usual 0/0 shenanigans.

True, but you could also do things like a skill having CoC discharge and/or just a longer duration IC without worrying about charge management. Or be a build that usually never rolls with endurance charges being able to always have 3/3.

A shaper staff w/ supported by CoC and like, +2 fire gems, a bunch of flat fire, fire% (all of which possible with fossil crafting) might be pretty ok.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kild posted:

legendaries/uniques should be worse than rares unless they build enable. however original d3 didn't really have any of that and their uniques were extremely rare. I think I saw 2 drop on the way to inferno.

I don't think I saw any drop but I got bored before the end of Act 2 Inferno. Stupid tanky zombies why'd I even go as far as I did.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

It's a loving prefix, too.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Goddamn, I hope there's an affix for +1 minimum frenzy charges, flicker strike will be amazing.

Edit: it's probably not going to work like that is it :smith:

ubachung fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 21, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The kicker is you can hypothetically craft it onto any amulet.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have a sneaking suspicion GGG still isn't happy with how many rares people are using and keeps cranking up the options until that changes.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Vasudus posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion GGG still isn't happy with how many rares people are using and keeps cranking up the options until that changes.

Whelp if they want that they should make continue to make rares more interesting than just stat sticks.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

+% movespeed on all slots, you cowards.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Andy Dufresne posted:

Can you read?

Duck and cover is a notorious troll. Heed him not

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean in recent memory you have Bestiary crafting which was really powerful when used properly, but unfortunately was full of so much chaff and clunky mechanics most people never bothered. Incursion had some sick mods that were pretty good but they were already on rares so were way too RNG for reliable use. Delve fossil crafting was absolutely fantastic. Now in Betrayal you've got a much improved Bestiary system, the same Incursion mods, fossil crafting (though I suspect fossils will be more expensive because of the mine not being basically unlimited access) AND these crazy rear end Veiled mods.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vasudus posted:

They've said a number of times that they want all the good unique properties to be accessible on rares in some way or another. I fully expect to see stuff like ignores hexproof and chaos damage doesn't bypass energy shield as veiled mods.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Duck and Cover had a pretty funny meltdown in another thread because someone said Hillary sucked. Well that's my story

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BobbyK posted:

Duck and Cover had a pretty funny meltdown in another thread because someone said Hillary sucked. Well that's my story

I didn't know Hillary was poe's trade system

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

BobbyK posted:

It's one of the things people say when they want to white noise post in the cspam Trump thread I just get tired of it every once an awhile. I want to be clear that I don't so much like her as I don't find her aggressively offensive. Which I'm not so sure is a fair assessment thanks to the constant poo poo flung her way for the past decade+ but whatever. Whatever this is a games thread I doubt anyone wants to discuss politics here.

Arrhythmia posted:

I didn't know Hillary was poe's trade system

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez plays League of Legends.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 21, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:popeye:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2250879

More info on each master, encounter rates, and favor levels. I'm glad the insane amount of time I spent in Bestiary will be counting for something.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

dyzzy posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2250879

More info on each master, encounter rates, and favor levels. I'm glad the insane amount of time I spent in Bestiary will be counting for something.

At first I was sad that I had to wait until act four to delve, but then I realized that delving probably extended the time it took me to get to act 4 significantly.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cant wait to never see a farrul tiger again and be locked out of einhars crafting poo poo

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToastyPotato posted:

At first I was sad that I had to wait until act four to delve, but then I realized that delving probably extended the time it took me to get to act 4 significantly.

I'm kinda bummed we have to wait until Act 7 for Alva because that means no more insane twink items from low-level temple bosses.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Her being in act 7 is probably so they don't have to worry about twink items loving with the economy and general build strategy.

I'm... REALLY worried about Einhar's favor being tied to filling out the bestiary. That's gonna be seriously intimidating to new players. Are they going to simplify the bestiary some more? Monster type instead of subspecies? There are some annoyingly rare mobs that you're going to have to grind out somehow by HOPING they spawn as yellow or red so that Einhar will bother to capture them. That's assuming they show up on the map at all. Maybe his missions will favor spawning mob types that you haven't captured yet?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

McFrugal posted:

Her being in act 7 is probably so they don't have to worry about twink items loving with the economy and general build strategy.

I'm... REALLY worried about Einhar's favor being tied to filling out the bestiary. That's gonna be seriously intimidating to new players. Are they going to simplify the bestiary some more? Monster type instead of subspecies? There are some annoyingly rare mobs that you're going to have to grind out somehow by HOPING they spawn as yellow or red so that Einhar will bother to capture them. That's assuming they show up on the map at all. Maybe his missions will favor spawning mob types that you haven't captured yet?

I think you're over estimating new player knowledge because I just got to the epilogue, have 40 hours logged, and I have no clue who those people are or what they do for you.

Click monster get item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Favor is only for getting hideout decorations